Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ODLH is making a killing
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
Was just reading the paper and they had 2007's top earners in sport, and I suppose it kind of surprised me that Oscar came in at #2 after Tiger Woods.
  1. Tiger Woods (Golf) $113.29m
  2. Oscar De La Hoya (Boxing) $48.71m
  3. Phil Mickelson (Golf) $47.81m
  4. Kimi Raikkonen (Formula One) $45.32m
  5. Michael Schumacher (Formula One-retired) $40.78m
  6. David Beckham (Soccer) $37.39m
  7. Kobe Bryant (Basketball) $37.27m
  8. Shaquille O'Neal (Basketball) $36.14m
  9. Alex Rodriguez (Baseball) $36.69m
  10. Michael Jordan (Basketball-retired) & Ronaldinho (Soccer) $35.12m

Note-This is in $AUD

I just kind of found this interesting. Considering the "state" boxing is in and Oscar is still able to come in second in the year. He set up and took part in the biggest fight in boxing history and I didn't realise how good of a job he did with the Hatton and Mayweather fight, I was getting a lot of non-boxing fans asking me about the fight and watching the fight, it was quite a big fight. He not only took part in the biggest fight in history, he has made a killing as a promoter as well. He hasn't done bad in 2007 in a "dying sport."
and the NEW
Yeh, what is more surprising is the difference between Tiger and anybody else in the world!

Kind of reminds me where Warren Buffett could be compared to the rest of the billionaires (if he didnt give so much away to charity).
moscow bear
i believe that woods (and everybody else's) income includes advertising. but woods does way more of that than anyone else.
Maxy
Its a travesty that David Beckham made all that money in 2007. He's shit.
dbdbdb
That list {Though Impressive} is not complete.

Floyd Mayweather made just under 50 million in 2007.

Mayweather, who earned more than $25 million for the De La Hoya fight, is the first fighter to help draw consecutive eight-figure live gates. And if projections are right for Saturday's fight, it will give him back-to-back 1 million-plus pay-per-view events in the same year. That's never been done, even by De La Hoya, the all-time PPV king.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2007...her-cover_N.htm

Have the PPV gross been posted for the Mayweather v Hatton Fight??????

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Dec 15 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]370699[/snapback]

I'd be very curious to know.

What percentage of Tiger's earnings are from endorsements? It's got to be up there.

kidbazooka1
DLH is stupid rich and thats that GBP is still a pretty new promotion.

Oscar will probably stilll make more money than any other boxer even when he retires.
Fitz
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Dec 16 2007, 04:24 AM) [snapback]370699[/snapback]
That list {Though Impressive} is not complete.

Floyd Mayweather made just under 50 million in 2007.

Mayweather, who earned more than $25 million for the De La Hoya fight, is the first fighter to help draw consecutive eight-figure live gates. And if projections are right for Saturday's fight, it will give him back-to-back 1 million-plus pay-per-view events in the same year. That's never been done, even by De La Hoya, the all-time PPV king.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2007...her-cover_N.htm

Just incase, those figures are in Australian dollars, so they would be higher once converted into $US, so DLH would be well over $50m. He would have earned a lot more than Floyd.
Also if the figures for the Hatton-Mayweather fight are not included, they are not included in Oscar's pay as well. Also about back-to-back 1 million plus PPV is something I give credit to DLH as a promoter more than anything. He has done a fantastic job as a promoter in building fights.
Fitz
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 16 2007, 04:49 AM) [snapback]370703[/snapback]
I'd be very curious to know.

What percentage of Tiger's earnings are from endorsements? It's got to be up there.

Yep, there is no way he can win that from just prize money. Isn't the prize money for a big golf tournament a couple of millions? I think they include money the sports stars make from everything. Like DLH as a promoter and everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.