Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kessler v Hopkins
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
durhamshardest
LOL just watched the video of Hopkins and Calzaghe arguin at the Hatton Money fight. Hes an idiot - 'who is kessler?' Well Kessler is a beast of a Dane who would probably knock you ugly old head of you philly prick!
BigG
I like Kessler but the man would outboxed against Bernard.
durhamshardest
you reckon even tho Hopkins is 59?? I realy think Kessler would hurt him with his big right and be too young and athletic.
BigG
Hopkins is old but the man did beat Tarver and Winky in his last 2 fights....

Hopkin could hurt Kessler & Calzaghe with his right hand if he landed hard....Hopkins has an underrated right hand. It has power.

Calzaghe-Hopkins would be a VERY close fight IMO.

I dont think Cal walks through BHOP like alot of people think he would.

And Kessler is a very good fighter who SHOULD dominate SMW when Calzaghe retires/moves up.
caneman
i have seen so many people saying X would or is going to get KOed & i think that is funny as hell...last time i checked, you were not allowed to bring ball bats into the ring & it might be hard to hit him clean with that!
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(durhamshardest @ Dec 15 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]370665[/snapback]
LOL just watched the video of Hopkins and Calzaghe arguin at the Hatton Money fight. Hes an idiot - 'who is kessler?' Well Kessler is a beast of a Dane who would probably knock you ugly old head of you philly prick!

Nothing funnier than people trying to act tough online. People have been trying to beat Hopkins for years now. Last time I check there is only one that has beat him in the last several years. Kessler is a good fighter nodoubt, but can he beat Hopkins? I would have to say no. Hopkins is just to slick. He lunges in with that straight right hand then ties you up. He lands enough punches to win the fights.

BrutalBodyShots
I'd take Hopkins over Kessler at 168 at this point. Hopkins has shown he has plenty left despite his age. I think the only thing that can really beat Hopkins is youth/athleticism, incredible speed or simply a rate of work that he couldn't overcome (possibly Calzaghe). I don't see Kessler falling into any of these categories. Hopkins would win a comfortable decision over Kessler about on par with Calzaghe's win over him. I also agree that Hopkins' sneaky right hand could buckle Kessler if it lands accurately, which Hopkins is very good at.

Big Slim Sweet
I think when he says who is Kessler he's talking about legacy. 'Who is he? What does he do for your legacy?'
streetlion1
QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Dec 15 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]370682[/snapback]
Nothing funnier than people trying to act tough online. People have been trying to beat Hopkins for years now. Last time I check there is only one that has beat him in the last several years. Kessler is a good fighter nodoubt, but can he beat Hopkins? I would have to say no. Hopkins is just to slick. He lunges in with that straight right hand then ties you up. He lands enough punches to win the fights.

I would have to agree! there is no way Kessler beats Hopkins. He isnt in the same league! Kessler will see that himself when he see's B-Hop make calzaghe look bad.
hitman harding
I watched Howard Eastman go 12 rounds with Hopkins . He didn't look all that bad against Hopkins. I'd dare too say Kessler would KTFO out of fringe player like Eastman.I'd even go out on limb and say Kessler would beat Tarver.
Hopkins best asset is his defence, But in all honesty he starts too slow and with the new young Guns working for the whole 3 minutes of the round Hopkins not going to get many UD anymore by making guys miss and not throwing much himself.
Just my veiw on Hopkins last half dozen fights are that they are boring as shit
X3_Bazooka_X3
Look hopkins is going to continue to be on top as long as he fights guys who are just as old as he is in the sport, Winky Wright for example has been around damn near just as long, Tarver on the other hand got a late start but he is still getting up there in age, sure those are two great wins for Hopkins but lets not forget the greener Taylor did beat Hopkins twice, I think Kessler and Calzaghe stand a great chance at sending Hopkins into retirement for good, both have too much hand speed Calzaghe with better skills than that of Kessler but Kessler with youth on his side, both beat Hopkins IMO.
Hopkins should just retire, cus he is not serious about fighting the top dogs anymore he just wants Paydays now, but honestly who wants to see Hopkins vs Tito again? or Hopkins vs Jones again? at 55$? shit most of you dont even pay that to see the younger PPV stars go at it, much less a couple of well aged has beens.
BrutalBodyShots
Bazooka. Better idea. In Hopkins next fight you judge it based on:

1. LACK of experience
2. LACK of ring generalship
3. Youth and athleticism
4. Unclean, uneffective punching

Those sound like criteria that YOU would use for judging fights, as you have many times in the past. Those being the criteria, Hopkins is doomed! LMAO.

buford54
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Dec 16 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]370846[/snapback]
Look hopkins is going to continue to be on top as long as he fights guys who are just as old as he is in the sport, Winky Wright for example has been around damn near just as long, Tarver on the other hand got a late start but he is still getting up there in age, sure those are two great wins for Hopkins but lets not forget the greener Taylor did beat Hopkins twice, I think Kessler and Calzaghe stand a great chance at sending Hopkins into retirement for good, both have too much hand speed Calzaghe with better skills than that of Kessler but Kessler with youth on his side, both beat Hopkins IMO.
Hopkins should just retire, cus he is not serious about fighting the top dogs anymore he just wants Paydays now, but honestly who wants to see Hopkins vs Tito again? or Hopkins vs Jones again? at 55$? shit most of you dont even pay that to see the younger PPV stars go at it, much less a couple of well aged has beens.

Hopkins gave Taylor the W's by not doing anything for the first 6 rounds. Taylor didn't win any rounds where Hopkins acutally threw punches.
I like Kessler, but I think Hopkins does him like he did Tito.
Everyone said Tito's left hook this, left hook that....Hopkins took his punch away, and Tito didn't know what to do.
My prediction, Kessler doesn't land the big right hand, and Hopkins lands many short right hands.
BigG
QUOTE(hitman harding @ Dec 16 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]370839[/snapback]
I watched Howard Eastman go 12 rounds with Hopkins . He didn't look all that bad against Hopkins. I'd dare too say Kessler would KTFO out of fringe player like Eastman.I'd even go out on limb and say Kessler would beat Tarver.
Hopkins best asset is his defence, But in all honesty he starts too slow and with the new young Guns working for the whole 3 minutes of the round Hopkins not going to get many UD anymore by making guys miss and not throwing much himself.
Just my veiw on Hopkins last half dozen fights are that they are boring as shit

Kessler could beat Tarver..sure...but Tarver is not on Hopkins level skillwise.
Spreadking3rd
The fraud-ecutioner would hold Kessler, not let him get any punches off. X would stay outside or hold all night....and try to land a few right hands off the break and win every round that way

Hopkins 120-108 Kessler

punch stats

Hopkins 49 out of 92
Kessler 42 out of 150

what a PPV !

8 punch per round average for Hopkins
streetlion1
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Dec 16 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]370846[/snapback]

thumbsdown_anim.gif Hopkins even at this age is better than most!! He would destroy Kessler! Lets get real! After you see him beat Calzaghe and make him look bad I have a feelin' you'll change your tune.
singletrack
QUOTE(Spreadking3rd @ Dec 17 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]370956[/snapback]
The fraud-ecutioner would hold Kessler, not let him get any punches off. X would stay outside or hold all night....and try to land a few right hands off the break and win every round that way

Hopkins 120-108 Kessler

punch stats

Hopkins 49 out of 92
Kessler 42 out of 150

what a PPV !

LOL - this is pretty funny actually....especially the punchstats. Cue Larry Merchant - "WHO would want to see this again!?"
georg
fighting a young, strong guy who was his own size (Taylor) is as daring as Hopkins has been....and he got beat twice.(kessler is 5 levels above taylor )
Kessler is bigger and better than Taylor....he kicks Hopkins' arse
georg
QUOTE(Spreadking3rd @ Dec 17 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]370956[/snapback]

Hopkins 120-108 Kessler

punch stats

Hopkins 49 out of 92
Kessler 42 out of 150

what a PPV !

Are you smoking crack?

Hopkins can never win that impressively at his age. He throws about 10 punches and 2 headbutts a round. He looked shit against a LMW fighting completely out of his depth, and lost to Jermain Taylor who has proven himself to be one of the biggest frauds in boxing
Kessler will do to him what Calzaghe will, beat him badly
Blayde
QUOTE(georg @ Jan 16 2008, 01:15 PM) [snapback]374913[/snapback]
fighting a young, strong guy who was his own size (Taylor) is as daring as Hopkins has been....and he got beat twice.(kessler is 5 levels above taylor )
Kessler is bigger and better than Taylor....he kicks Hopkins' arse

A major factor is Taylors speed though. And hes definitely faster than Kessler although I agree Kessler is the better fighter. But against B-Hop that speed may be the most imporant thing. I dont know, I think if I had to pick one, I would pick Kessler against Hopkins, but I wouldnt be sure.
Method
Bazooka. Better idea. In Hopkins next fight you judge it based on:

1. LACK of experience
2. LACK of ring generalship
3. Youth and athleticism
4. Unclean, uneffective punching

Those sound like criteria that YOU would use for judging fights, as you have many times in the past. Those being the criteria, Hopkins is doomed! LMAO.

LOL.
The CEO
georg...I know you love the guy...but I have to call it like I see it....

Kessler's not as great as you and some people are making him out to be...he's what I would call "a good boxer"....a B class boxer....

I like his punching...he has good power and a good chin...but he ALSO has amateurish tendencies, conditioning issues, and he can't handle slaps to the body.

His straight up, orthodox, euro style isn't the toughest puzzle to solve either...
georg
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jan 16 2008, 11:31 AM) [snapback]374936[/snapback]
georg...I know you love the guy...but I have to call it like I see it....

Kessler's not as great as you and some people are making him out to be...he's what I would call "a good boxer"....a B class boxer....

I like his punching...he has good power and a good chin...but he ALSO has amateurish tendencies, conditioning issues, and he can't handle slaps to the body.

His straight up, orthodox, euro style isn't the toughest puzzle to solve either...

Just wait to Kessler`s next fight,i think he has learned a lot from his defeat to Calzaghe,he will be back stronger than ever

And against Calzaghe it was a crucial tactical error Kessler made

Kessler's change his tactics from round 4 Sure, Calzaghe might have still found a way, but the strategy Olsen(Kessler`s couch) wanted Kessler to follow ("go out and KO him!") was possibly the worst tactical blunder he could have made.
The crucial point was in the break between round 4 and 5. Kessler's trainer said that Kessler should now go out and KO Calzaghe.

Kessler had just dominated Joe in the 4th round and went out to the fifth no longer looking for scoring, but for throwing big punching with intent. THAT imo. was clearly the deciding BIG error of the fight.

Kessler should NOT have gone out trying to rely on big punches. He has never done that in any fight and this certainly was a very badly chosen figth to start. His trainer has been very confident that Kessler would ko Joe and he pushed his will on Kessler I think.

Kessler should have kept going for the points win like he did up untill round 4. Then a KO would actually have been more probable than it ever was going 8 rounds throwing bombs. Some people thought KEssler was a puncher and would come throwing bombs. Kessler is not and has never been that kind of fighter. However, it looks like he or his couch actualy began to believe that that was what they should do in this fight. The biggest tactical error I was seen in recent years.
Is definitely NOT the way to beat Joe and Kessler has never gone round after round trying to throw big punches

And i am completely sure,Kessler will never make that mistake again
The CEO
Great post.

I agree the Calzaghe loss will help him...and I ALSO agree with the crucial, tactical error you pointed out...that was one of the main "amateurish" aspects I was alluding to...trying to land a big right for the last 7 rounds...

I didn't catch his trainer giving him that advice...so we can put some of the blame on him...lol
georg
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jan 16 2008, 03:41 PM) [snapback]374951[/snapback]
I didn't catch his trainer giving him that advice...so we can put some of the blame on him...lol

Kessler`s trainer said to the Danish-newspaper he had advice Kessler between 4 and 5 round to try to KO Calzaghe,because he didn't think Kessler couldn't win on point and he also admit it was a bad tactics
Mean Mister Mustard
Kessler backing straight up against Calzaghe's barrages made us realize that there is still a lot of work to be done for the great Dane.

I think Kessler should have let his hands gone .Calzaghe was not counterpunching all that well (I've only seen the fight once so I may be wrong) so I have to wonder that Georg's theory about Kessler going for the knockout might be true. He really seemed intent on landing only right hands. Take a look at round 12 where he let off combinations like he had done in the early rounds, he caught Calzaghe a lot. Kessler is talented and if he adjusted his defense, I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch. Of course Kessler would have to rebuild his record in order to deserve a rematch.
rusty_trombone
I think it all boils down to what Hopkins has left. If Hopkins is still the same Hopkins, than I like him easy, if he has lost a bit, than I think it's closer. If he has lost a significant amount, then I like Kessler. Kessler is not good enough to beat a great Hopkins, but he's good enough to keep it close with a good Hopkins and definitely good enough to beat a bad old Hopkins.
D-MARV
Kessler KO Hopkins! HAHA, what r u smokin?
Sure, BHOP is a boring fighter (as of late) but the man is smart. His right Hand is very underrated, ask Trinidad! That same right also stunned Taylor a few times! But look BHOP beats Kessler by ugly but easy UD! BHOP beats Calzaghe in a closer but still clear UD. He looked bad against Winky Wright but name one fighter who has looked good against Winky! Winky made Shane look bad, he made Taylor look bad, he made Trinidad look like an amature. Say what you want about BHOp but he knows how to win!
streetlion1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 16 2008, 10:05 PM) [snapback]374993[/snapback]
Kessler KO Hopkins! HAHA, what r u smokin?
Sure, BHOP is a boring fighter (as of late) but the man is smart. His right Hand is very underrated, ask Trinidad! That same right also stunned Taylor a few times! But look BHOP beats Kessler by ugly but easy UD! BHOP beats Calzaghe in a closer but still clear UD. He looked bad against Winky Wright but name one fighter who has looked good against Winky! Winky made Shane look bad, he made Taylor look bad, he made Trinidad look like an amature. Say what you want about BHOp but he knows how to win!

Thats for damn sure!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.