Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mike Tyson as commentator?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Douchebag
What would you guys think if they made Mike Tyson a commentator for HBO? I mean theres no way that he would be worse than Lenox Lewis or Manny Stuart. I think it would be funny at first but I think that he could actually do it. Thoughts?
caneman
no! kevin kelly should be the one over anyone else IMO! he talks so well that he COULD do blow by blow!
Bill The Butcher
I think he could do it. He has a lot of knowledge of the sport.
Jack 1000
Sure,

Mike did Showtime commentary and was damn good at it. Who remembers the great Pettway-Brown classic fight? Multiple knockdowns, low-blows, an inept ref. and a memorable KO for the agres. Very very good fight! Tyson was so excited, he kept going "This is a war!!!!! Oh, this a war!!!" (and it was)

When Mike was in his prime in the mid to late 80's, he hated being interviewed by Larry Merchant. Some suggested that this was one of the reasons for his move to Showtime. I don't think Larry got along well with Foreman at all either. You could often see and hear the friction between them, especially in later years. But Tyson would be good. The question is would HBO let him back in with his controversial past and recent legal issues over the years? Not sure about that.

Jack
dbdbdb
Tyson's knowledge make him the perfect candidate ...................

...................... BUT!!!! He is unpredictable and uncontrolable in certain situations, which makes him the worst possible candidate.

I can hear it now, coming from Big Mike ....... OH SH*T!! He's been knocked on his ass {On national TV} laugh.gif
Fitz
Tyson has boxing knowledge just about better than anyone in the sport. He knows it very well and I would actually love to hear his opinion on fights. But yeah, like mentioned he can sometimes be unpredictable, but I would definitely be open to someone giving him a chance.
BrutalBodyShots
I could see a heavyweight calling him out at ringside or something after a win (or a loss) and having Tyson start shouting and grabbing his balls and shit. I think Tyson would do fine but if he was put in a situation where he was confrontational for whatever reason he could go off the deep end and wind up getting canned.

BigG
I'd love to hear Tyson commentate. The man knows the sport.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 16 2007, 12:34 AM) [snapback]370768[/snapback]
I could see a heavyweight calling him out at ringside or something after a win (or a loss) and having Tyson start shouting and grabbing his balls and shit. I think Tyson would do fine but if he was put in a situation where he was confrontational for whatever reason he could go off the deep end and wind up getting canned.

laugh.gif I totally can envision Tyson grabbing his junk and making rude gestures. I could also see the other commentators not disagreeing with Mike, and watching what they say to him for fear how Mike would react.
ROLL DEEP
Yeah, Mike would have to be a one-man commentating team. If anyone disagrees with him, he'd end up shouting at them and getting into a scrap.....which would probably be more entertaining, lol.

Mike knows the sport inside out and everyone has no choice but to respect his opinion on things.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Dec 16 2007, 03:50 AM) [snapback]370781[/snapback]
Yeah, Mike would have to be a one-man commentating team. If anyone disagrees with him, he'd end up shouting at them and getting into a scrap.....which would probably be more entertaining, lol.
Mike knows the sport inside out and everyone has no choice but to respect his opinion on things.

Who would be funnier to see Tyson deck in a confrontational situation?

Jim Gray at Showtime or

Larry Merchant at HBO LOL!

Jack
BigG
Mike commentated Hopkins-Segundo Mercado II and did an EXCELLENT job..
caneman
i still say kevin kelly >>>>>>> mike tyson, any day of the week rolleyes.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
Mike is a very knowledgable fellow in the field of boxing. Sure why not give him a chance?

Another guy who could be a good analyst would be Paulie Ayala.

I used to think Bernard Hopkins would be a good commentator but I heard he was the guest analyst on ESPN once and he was boring. Can anyone confirm that?
iron_mike
Is this a boxing forum? I expect responses like these from general media types. You think he's gonna bite Lampley's ear or threaten to eat Larry Merchant's grandkids if they disagree with him?
STEVENSKI
I think Mike would be a great commentator & I actually think that he would be quite professional about it. Most of his "incidents" have been before a fight & he does that to hype it up & generate PPV buys.

He is articulate & knows his shit. Give him a go I say. he could inject some humour & if he lets a few profanities slip all the better. I & no boxing fan I know would care. I would actually like to hear "OMG he dropped that muthafucker on his ass" "He is so dazed he would not know if he had a cock up his ass".
torvix2000
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 16 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]370847[/snapback]
I think Mike would be a great commentator & I actually think that he would be quite professional about it. Most of his "incidents" have been before a fight & he does that to hype it up & generate PPV buys.

He is articulate & knows his shit. Give him a go I say. he could inject some humour & if he lets a few profanities slip all the better. I & no boxing fan I know would care. I would actually like to hear "OMG he dropped that muthafucker on his ass" "He is so dazed he would not know if he had a cock up his ass".

This is so LOL!!!
singletrack
They should have Mike and Lewis on...it would be awesome to hear their two takes on the fight. I bet there would be a lot of laughs too.
BrutalBodyShots
Tyson would be axed after any one of those statements. Let's be real.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 17 2007, 03:16 AM) [snapback]370875[/snapback]
Tyson would be axed after any one of those statements. Let's be real.

Lets. We live in a age where profanity is everywhere. I don't care about language & this would be on cable tv.
Warlord
Yay. Tyson is a boxing encyclopedia, and he's brutally honest most of the time as well. I'd rather hear him over gay ass Lennox Lewis, whose always careful to hype any opponent he's defeated in the past in some vain attempt to enhance his own glory and ego.
streetlion1
yeah, I wanna see Iron Mike involved in boxing in some way! Also he'll always be a draw...people would tune in just to hear what he had to say.
Chi-Town
Yea...say what you want about Tyson and the way he handled his career/money, the guy knows his shit both in terms of the history and the science, not to mention that he has a pretty good sense of humor. I think he would be a damn good commentator, entertaining and informative.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 16 2007, 05:16 PM) [snapback]370847[/snapback]
"OMG he dropped that muthafucker on his ass" "He is so dazed he would not know if he had a cock up his ass".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA.....

I laughed my ass off at that.
stateofthegame
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 16 2007, 05:29 AM) [snapback]370737[/snapback]
Sure,

Mike did Showtime commentary and was damn good at it. Who remembers the great Pettway-Brown classic fight? Multiple knockdowns, low-blows, an inept ref. and a memorable KO for the agres. Very very good fight! Tyson was so excited, he kept going "This is a war!!!!! Oh, this a war!!!" (and it was)

When Mike was in his prime in the mid to late 80's, he hated being interviewed by Larry Merchant. Some suggested that this was one of the reasons for his move to Showtime. I don't think Larry got along well with Foreman at all either. You could often see and hear the friction between them, especially in later years. But Tyson would be good. The question is would HBO let him back in with his controversial past and recent legal issues over the years? Not sure about that.

Jack

Jack if I remember correctly Brown was out on the canvas and was still punching up toward the lights, and Tyson said something about Brown thinking he was still in the fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.