Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hatton/Mayweather does 850K PPV Buys
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Method
The numbers are in, and pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather lived up to his new self-given nickname of "Money" Mayweather.

I dunno. Given the 24/7 promotion, I don't know if I am being overly scrutinizing when I say I expected a little more. Not to mention, I thinl Ricky Hatton was more of a driving force behind the success than PBF. Obviously that's hard to quantify, but you don't get credit for al the PPV success just because you win the fight. All good though. Obviously 850 is a successful number...but I thought this thing would break 1M given the promotion.

That's ~35% of the DH fight.
JD
I anticipated 1.2 million.
Mean Mister Mustard
Still, pretty good numbers for a non DLH fight.
dbdbdb
Does this represent both the US & UK PPV totals????

Answered own question: 850,000 domestic pay-per-view buys ....... I have to find the article where it was stating that there were estimated to be 300,000 PPV in the UK.

850,000 US
300,000 UK
1150,000 - Total isn't bad at all.
hardhead
I was hearing a lot more then 300,000 in the UK.

I'll try to find where I was reading that.
The CEO
I was expecting at least 1 mil total...not bad, not bad...wonder how many bought the fight due to 24/7?...knowing they can watch the replay a week later...

I would think anything over $750k should be considered a big success....

That DLH-MM number still astounds me...
Spreadking3rd
considering HBO's 24/7 show is turning the sport more into a WWE type of environment in terms of getting fans to fork out PPV dollars. It's probably a disappointment for HBO and everyone involved......but they still made money.
tonywithfighthype
Those are pretty good numbers and they are really good if that doesn't include the UK PPV buys.
thehype
Those are great numbers for a non-De La Hoya PPV.

That being said, I was definitely expecting more...at least over a million...and judging from all the press releases that Golden Boy was sending out regarding how well the promotion was going and the comparisons they kept making to Mayweather-De La Hoya, I think they were probably expecting a little more as well. Don't get me wrong...I don't think they're upset with those numbers...but I do think they were expecting more.
STEVENSKI
It's cool. Hatton generated 825K of those buys anyway.
Yansoma
Yeah....Hatton generated 850,000 U.S. PPV buys....sure. The same guy that HBO wasnt confident enough to put on PPV previously.
BrutalBodyShots
I thought it would exceed 1M, surprised it didn't.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Yansoma @ Dec 17 2007, 09:40 PM) [snapback]370980[/snapback]
Yeah....Hatton generated 850,000 U.S. PPV buys....sure. The same guy that HBO wasnt confident enough to put on PPV previously.

Can you read son? I said 825K. I understand that PBF generated some buys which is why I gave him 25K of the total.
jlupi
Hatton generated 825K of those buys anyway>>>

hatton is not a draw in the US.

I never thaught this fight does over 1 mil

without 24/7 it does 450.

I still think they would do much bigger #s on a magor fight, grow the sport and make more monet if they charged 39.95 like ufc
Southeastpaw
Seeing as how Hatton is not well known, definitely not in the sense as a Mayweather, those are great numbers. Floyd is a household name now. And this was a great fight for viewer of the 24/7 series to buy. I am pretty certain that Floyd will do rather well from here on in on PPVs.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 17 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]370979[/snapback]

lolol. I love seeing how much Floyd gets to some of you. Floyd downright makes people delusional. lolol

You should start a Floyd hate wagon. I believe one was attemped at one time by some hater, but it was unsuccessful. lolololol. The HHW is legendary.
Imperius3

I wonder how many PPV's Hatton would sell if he was fighting some random bum.
Fitz
So we all agree we expected more? I am a little dissapointed, considering the 24/7 as well. I thought this was going to get just over the 1million mark. I too think Hatton was the the force behind the success or failure (whichever way you want to look at it).
Fitz
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Dec 18 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]370997[/snapback]

It would probably sell more and the arena wouldn't be half empty like a Mayweather-Mitchell fight.
Southeastpaw
If that was true I would be awed by the amount of people who actually like that style.
Imperius3
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 17 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]370999[/snapback]
It would probably sell more and the arena wouldn't be half empty like a Mayweather-Mitchell fight.

Sell more? In America? Not likely dude.
Jack 1000
Reduce the price to $50, and it would have been 1 million.

Jack
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 17 2007, 08:48 PM) [snapback]371008[/snapback]
Reduce the price to $50, and it would have been 1 million.

Jack

I agree, and just about the same amount of revenue would hit the bottom line too - except with more buys/more viewers the sport gets more exposure which in turn helps future PPV buys.

I can't figure out for the life of me why most PPVs run $50-$60. You figure there had to be a team of people trained in economics that determined that to be the ideal price for PPVs in terms of maximizing revenue, but I would think a slightly lesser price like $35-$40 would yield far more buys. I'm sure just about everyone on this forum would have sprung for 1 or 2 more PPVs this year had they been in the $35-$40 range, no? I know I would have. $50-$60 is a little too much for many middle class or lower middle class (forget lower class) people to buy... the disposable income simply isn't there for most.

I think it would at least be worth a shot for HBO to try going with a cheaper PPV price for at least one major event and see what happens. Obviously it would mean more buys, and I would be curious to see how many more. Also these days you have fans of boxing and UFC that can only afford one PPV per month, and with UFC being consistently cheaper it's easy to see how people would choose that over the boxing PPV. Set the prices equal and you'd see more choose the boxing.

MarzB
I don't see how you can be critical of 850K buys in any way shape or fashion when anything over 300K buys is considered good in boxing.

I can look it up but off the top of my head Oscar and Hops did like 1 mill, Oscar and Mayorga did 950K. So again, how is 850K domestic bad??

When you add to it that a lot of people don't have HBO thus they didn't watch 24/7 or even know about it,its tremendous. Add the UK buys and you have a very successful promotion.

I'm glad Floyd got the last laugh considering how critics love to throw up the Brusseles fight when that fight had no business being in the Miami arena in the first place.

If these numbers were embarrassing or a disappointment, they would have been released pretty quietly like the Winky vs. Hop fight that did in the 300K range.

Fitz
QUOTE(MarzB @ Dec 18 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]371014[/snapback]
I don't see how you can be critical of 850K buys in any way shape or fashion when anything over 300K buys is considered good in boxing.

I can look it up but off the top of my head Oscar and Hops did like 1 mill, Oscar and Mayorga did 950K. So again, how is 850K domestic bad??

When you add to it that a lot of people don't have HBO thus they didn't watch 24/7 or even know about it,its tremendous. Add the UK buys and you have a very successful promotion.

I'm glad Floyd got the last laugh considering how critics love to throw up the Brusseles fight when that fight had no business being in the Miami arena in the first place.

If these numbers were embarrassing or a disappointment, they would have been released pretty quietly like the Winky vs. Hop fight that did in the 300K range.

I think the numbers are good, but I think people just expected it to just go over the million mark considering the 24/7 that was used and a lot of the focus put on it. I don't think it was a failure, but I think them along with us thought it probably would have done a bit better.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Dec 18 2007, 12:56 AM) [snapback]370995[/snapback]
lolol. I love seeing how much Floyd gets to some of you. Floyd downright makes people delusional. lolol

You should start a Floyd hate wagon. I believe one was attemped at one time by some hater, but it was unsuccessful. lolololol. The HHW is legendary.

That was me & I did not have the time to dedicate to the hatewagon. There were enough members to sustain it though don't worry.

QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Dec 18 2007, 01:22 AM) [snapback]370997[/snapback]

Hatton vs Maussa anyone? Maussa was a grade Z bum.
lilpoppapump
I thought Hatton fought in a ball room like earlier this year against Urango? Hatton is no draw in America. I was so pissed at my fight party because everyone wanted me to keep explaining who the hell Hatton was.
The CEO
laugh.gif

Welcome back, pump. I know you were happy on the 8th.

drinks.gif

P.S.~ I went back to read the Hatton-Urango thread in the Archives...you know...to reminisce...I look down and Big G's name is right there next to mine...that was funny.

BigG
laugh.gif I saw that you were viewing it, and I just wanted to see how much we hated on Hatton back then.

I expected 1mil...but the only fighters that could generate those type of PPV buys in the last 20 years are DLH, Tyson, and Holyfield.

Tyson did over a mil vs. bums in his comeback trail.
The CEO
laugh.gif

I think the Collazo fight thread was where the shit hit the fan, and The Haters started ganging on him....sooooo much Hate.

It's a hard habit to break...
kidbazooka1
Hatton and Mayweather will never come close to selling out like DLH.

Had Hatton not been on the card Maweather would have done sh*tty #'s.
BigG
http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.p...4455&st=100

Anyone remember VK3DO?

What a clow that guy was laugh.gif
Fitz
QUOTE(lilpoppapump @ Dec 18 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]371019[/snapback]
I thought Hatton fought in a ball room like earlier this year against Urango? Hatton is no draw in America.

Kind of like how Floyd is when he doesn't have a good dance partner? Like when nobody showed up to a fight with Mitchell? Cool, I think I get it. Not bad for an english guy in his 3rd appearance in the states to sell like that though. How long did Floyd have to wait to do something like that?

You should of told your friends that he is just a pasty english midget that sells out stadiums back home with over 20,000.
Method
Like I said, good numbers, I just expected more, domestically, given the promotional push behind it. Like JD, I was assuming Hatton...and Mayweather would get ~ 1.2M-ish.
lilpoppapump
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 18 2007, 02:33 AM) [snapback]371022[/snapback]
laugh.gif

Welcome back, pump. I know you were happy on the 8th.

drinks.gif
P.S.~ I went back to read the Hatton-Urango thread in the Archives...you know...to reminisce...I look down and Big G's name is right there next to mine...that was funny.

You just don't know how happy I was. Made some money off drunk idiots thinking Hatton was going to beat Floyd.
lilpoppapump

You should of told your friends that he is just a pasty english midget that sells out stadiums back home with over 20,000.
[/quote]

They wouldn't have believed me. Not with the perfromance he gave you know going head first into the ring post in all and getting KO.
Fitz
QUOTE(lilpoppapump @ Dec 18 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]371035[/snapback]
They wouldn't have believed me. Not with the perfromance he gave you know going head first into the ring post in all and getting KO.

Haha, yeah I know what you mean. Kind of like if you chucked on a tape of Floyd-Baldomir they wouldn't believe you that this same guy would be in the most watched fight in history?

QUOTE(lilpoppapump @ Dec 18 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]371034[/snapback]
You just don't know how happy I was. Made some money off drunk idiots thinking Hatton was going to beat Floyd.

Seeings how they had no idea who Hatton was and were prepared to lay some money on a guy they had no idea who he was, I would say they were idiots before they were drunk anyways, lol.
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 18 2007, 02:07 AM) [snapback]371027[/snapback]
http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.p...4455&st=100

Anyone remember VK3DO?

What a clow that guy was laugh.gif

I have a confession to make...I gave him that avatar. Floyd, half grinning, all smug looking...actually staring at you...it seemed so perfect for him, and he had no idea how to get rid of it.
Southeastpaw
Think about it. When was the last time a P4P #1 guy has done the numbers Floyd has done? That could have been almost anyone on that 24/7 series other than Hatton and it would have done well. It was the way the hyped up Hatton and his record that made it interesting. The fact is is that DLH never made as much as he did when he fought Floyd and vise versa needless to say. So Hatton should be on his knees thankin Floyd for the opportunity he got. lol. I know it's hard, but it's true.
Method
Think about it. When was the last time a P4P #1 guy has done the numbers Floyd has done?
Hopkins/DLH did 1M buys, and we'll all agree that Hopkins had less to do with that than Oscar if you'll concede that Floyd had less to do with it than Hatton and Oscar...and Gatti...

The fact is is that DLH never made as much as he did when he fought Floyd and vise versa needless to say.
And the fact remains that there was never a promotional push like that previously in Oscar's career. Let's see what Happens May 3rd of 2008. Another 24/7, and likely Hatton or Cotto.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 18 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]371041[/snapback]
And the fact remains that there was never a promotional push like that previously in Oscar's career. Let's see what Happens May 3rd of 2008. Another 24/7, and likely Hatton or Cotto.

True. Although, I'm willing to bet that neither will do as good as DLH/Mayweather did. Cotto might come close, but Hatton......forget it.
Fitz
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Dec 19 2007, 12:47 AM) [snapback]371040[/snapback]
That could have been almost anyone on that 24/7 series other than Hatton and it would have done well.

I really don't think so. Hatton had a lot to do with the fight, his character and I thought the english fans played a big role into the fight. Thousands of fans coming over to the states. It most definitely couldn't have been just anyone IMO.
I think Mayweather is getting being given too much credit, it's DLH who is the genius behind all of this. He made it as a fighter and now killing it as a promoter. Hatton shouldn't be on any knees thanking Floyd, if anyone should be on there knees it should probably be Floyd thanking DLH for what he has done for him. Without Oscar, none of this would be possible for Floyd, NONE of this and that's the truth.
Southeastpaw
Floyd should be thanking DLH, BUT this is about the Hatton/Mayweather fight, not the the DLH bout. And do you think all those fans were all pretty much boxing fans supporting Hatton or just crazy Brits supporting their country? I really don't know, I'm asking.
JD
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Dec 18 2007, 09:06 AM) [snapback]371044[/snapback]
Floyd should be thanking DLH, BUT this is about the Hatton/Mayweather fight, not the the DLH bout. And do you think all those fans were all pretty much boxing fans supporting Hatton or just crazy Brits supporting their country? I really don't know, I'm asking.

It is fans supporting their fighter - they just do so in the same manner they support their EPL team, or their country during a soccer (football) match.

I mean, they didn't come over in droves to support fighters like Junior Witter and Scott Harrison, but they do follow Hatton.
Southeastpaw
Gotta love those crazy Brits and their support I guess.
Method

No, this is about your question, "when has another P4P #1 done those numbers?". Hopkins did 1M vs DLH. There. but I went on to admit that DLH had more to do with that than Hopkins, just like DLH AND HATTON had more to do with it than Floyd.

As for the Brits. Whether they were there supporting their fighter or their country...who gives a fuck? They were there supporting the Hatton and/or the Union Jack...not Mayweather.
Southeastpaw
Oops.I forgot Bernard was #1 at that point. Although, I still will not believe that it was because of Hatton that Floyd did as well as he did this time round. DLH yes, but Hatton? It is really hard for me to believe that that many people are a fan of that horrendous style. I believe that all the exposure that Floyd has gotten is going to make him a PPV fav from here on in. Most may buy hoping to see him get KTFO, but none the less, they will tune in to see him. Let's see how good Hatton does on #s next time out.
Method
You could be right, but I tend to disagree. For whatever reason, it seems to me that it is a lot harder for an African American boxer to really crossover and be embraced like that. You have Sugar Ray Leonard and Ali that come to recent mind....and yeah, Tyson...how could I forget. If it happens for Floyd, God bless. All the power to him. Im not basing it on my personal taste or distaste for him. Im just basing it on historical trend. Blacks just do not support their champions the way the Latinos (and Brits) do.
PR316
^^^^Probably because most black athletes that cross over tend to be either basketball or football players. Or entertainers of any sort(Actors, musicians, etc.).

Floyd has some appeal, and he has the attitude. He can play the bad guy really well. He doesn't have the charisma though of either Ali, Robinson, or Leonard, though. Thats probably what it is.
Method
Absolutely agree.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.