Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather named FOTY by The Ring.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Mean Mister Mustard
I think both Pavlik and PBF have strong arguments but I knew they were going to give it to PBF. The man is now one of the biggest names in boxing and the boxing media no doubt want to give it to they guy who can attract an audience ( even if that audience wants to see him get plastered on the ring.) He did beat Hatton who was in his prime and in great shape. He also beat a still durable De La Hoya in the year's biggest fight.

So do you guys agree with The Ring?
caneman
i personally like pavlik as fighter of the year. he not only was the under dog in 2 out of 3 of his fights in 2007...but he destroyed the comp that was favored against him.
BigG
I personally would love to give it to Cotto because he's had an outstanding year dominating Judah by TKO and beating Mosley.

But Mayweather probably deserves it...
singletrack
To me it's a toss up between him, Pavlik, and Cotto. A case can be made for any of those guys really.

Personally, I throw out the Hatton fight because I think any of the top three welters would destroy him - PBF, Cotto, Mosley. So in my mind, he is really like the 4th ranked Welter in the world (TOPS). So then it comes down to the DLH fight which PBF eeeked out in a smart, but somewhat disappointing performance to most. On the other hand, Cotto eeked out a decision in a competitive, and more entertaining fight with Mosley. So that is sort-of a wash as well.

Pavlik had two incredibly impressive performances against Miranda, who isn't really a complete fighter and JT, who has huge flaws. So even though he won the unified MW title, was his opposition really better? That's pretty much a wash as well...
JD
I would have given it to Pavlik or Cotto who both did more in their respective divisions.
Southeastpaw
I feel that Pavlik and Cotto did a bit more, but no big surprise with Floyd getting it. But with Pavlik's impressive stoppages in his 3 fights this year should have put him on top, I would have thought. I agree with singletrack in that Hatton would most likely have gotten beat by the big guys at 147 anyhow. But no big surprise in Floyd winning.
streetlion1
Cotto fought the toughest competition in Mosley. PBF did what I expected against Hatton, but looked very sharp against a game DLH. toss up.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 21 2007, 02:11 PM) [snapback]371633[/snapback]
I think both Pavlik and PBF have strong arguments but I knew they were going to give it to PBF. The man is now one of the biggest names in boxing and the boxing media no doubt want to give it to they guy who can attract an audience ( even if that audience wants to see him get plastered on the ring.) He did beat Hatton who was in his prime and in great shape. He also beat a still durable De La Hoya in the year's biggest fight.

So do you guys agree with The Ring?

Yes, I think Floyd deserved it by a slim margin.I think the De La Hoya fight should have been a unanimous victory and it was the biggest fight in PPV history.The Hatton fight sealed the deal.Pavlik and Cotto were close behind though and have nothing to be ashamed about.
buford54
I'd give it to Cotto or Pavlik.
Floyd fought for the most money (DLH), and certainly didn't duck anyone...but Hatton was out of his weight class.
Pavlik fought the undisputed champ and the #1 contender.
Cotto fought the guy who has 2 W's over DLH, and Judah, who was a stiff test, but has already been beaten.
On paper I'd go with Pavlik.
However, Floyd's win over Hatton was impressive and did more for boxing because of their profile. I certainly won't cry about him getting it.
Maxy
I think Cotto deserved it more than either Pavlik or PBF but can understand the reasoning behind the award going to Floyd. He was in the two most high profile fights of the year afterall.
jp
No argument with Floyd getting the nod, He won the two biggest fights in boxing this year. I would've rather seen Cotto or Pavlik win this since they both faced stiffer overall competition, plus neither were clear cut favorites to win any of their "major" fights. I think going into both the DLH and Hatton fight, particularly with the Hatton fight, Floyd was expected to come out on top. Floyd did what he was supposed to do which isn't as impressive to me. If I had to make the choice I would go with Pavlik, but I do understand why he's getting the recognition.
Mean Mister Mustard
So it would not be a stretch to say he received the honor partly because of his new found popularity.
jp
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Dec 21 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]371654[/snapback]
So it would not be a stretch to say he received the honor partly because of his new found popularity.

Yeah I think that definately played a part.
Chi-Town
I think a lot of you are letting your contempt for Floyd cloud your judgement to be honest. I've been a Floyd hater in the past like most of you, but I think Floyd winning this award was a no-brainer...boxinghad its biggest year in a long time and it was largely due to Floyd. He won the two biggest fights of the year and finally broke out as a mainstream star in a major way.
The CEO
I thought it was between Pavlik, Cotto, and him before the Hatton fight...but now I think he deserves it by a slim margin over Pavlik.

We can't NOT give it to him because he's better P4P and more recognized than the other two....that would be unfair.

2007 was Money's year.
hitman harding
Mayweather won big so he gets his day in the sun. Pavlik still needs to fight Arthur Abraham before we get to caught up on his Hype.
2007 was the year of the money.
Southeastpaw
Arthur Abraham needs Pavlik. Pavlik destroyed the man who gave Abraham hell. and then went on to destroy the man @ MW. I think he is beyond hype by now.
dbdbdb
Mayweather Deserves it ......... But it can be argued for Cotto as well. In fact whoever won it, there would be an argument for and against.
BrutalBodyShots
I'm not sure how anyone can really argue Cotto. Cotto won an EXTREMELY close decision over Mosley, a fight that many carded a Mosley win or a draw and he beat Judah who while is a dangerous opponent had not won a fight in over 2 years.

Pavlik dominating (stopping) 2 solid opponents, one for the championship gives him a bigger claim IMO.

I however would likely give the slight edge to Mayweather, but have no problem with the Pavlik argument. Cotto however I just can't see based on those wins.

BigG
I dont know how anyone can say Pavlik.

Jermain arguably lost to Hopkins TWICE, Winky, AND SPINKS.

Miranda was extrmely overrated. Another Mayorga.
Southeastpaw
You could make an argument for Cotto, Pavlik, and Floyd NOT getting the award. Mayweather had only two fights. The one with Oscar was very close and I know quite a few people that thought Oscar should have gotten the nod. Not me of course. And then Hatton, who pretty much everyone knew what was going to happen before hand. Then Cotto's wins as explained by Brutal. And then Pavlik's. But even though many feel that Taylor is overrated, Pavlik did something that Winky could not do nor Bernard twice. And that is beat Taylor, not to mention the fashion he did it in. Miranda was put very high on a pedestal at the time Pavlik faced him and most people on this very board were picking Miranda to win that one. Then he had the KO of Zertuchi. Three very impressive wins in one year. So, while Pavlik did not make fighter of the year, he made the biggest leaps and bounds in a years time. He went from being hardly known to becoming the dominate champ at MW.

They were all three the best nominees for it. I thought Pav should have gotten it, but I can definitely see why Floyd got it.
BrutalBodyShots
Jermain arguably losing to Hopkins twice, Winky and Spinks isn't the same as Cotto arguably losing to Mosley. PAVLIK arguably losing to Taylor would be the same as Cotto arguably losing to Mosley as Pavlik and Cotto are the two in discussion about being potential FOTY.

Pavlik convincingly beating "the man" at 160 and another top guy (Miranda) IMO means more than Cotto beating a guy that hadn't won a fight in over 2 years and arguably losing to Mosley. I'm talking from an accomplishment point of view, which is what Fighter of the Year is all about no?

I mean look at it in terms of rankings. Pavlik not only beat, but knocked out the #1 and #3 or #4 give or take guys in his division.

Cotto knocked out MAYBE a top 10 guy in Judah (again, having not won a fight in 2 years even THAT is arguable) and squeaked out a win over a top 5ish guy in Mosley.

kidbazooka1
I think it was a toss up bewtween Cotto and Mayweather.
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 22 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]371736[/snapback]
I dont know how anyone can say Pavlik.

Jermain arguably lost to Hopkins TWICE, Winky, AND SPINKS.

Miranda was extrmely overrated. Another Mayorga.

Using this logic, one could say...

"In the past 4 years, Oscar arguably lost to Sturm, lost to Mosley, lost to Hopkins and only had a win against Mayorga - and Hatton was fighting above his weight class where he previously proved he did not belong."

You can poke holes in any choice. I don't necessarily subscribe to the above...but we just need to look at all things in the same light.
BigG
I really think Pavlik had a hell of a year for the simple fact that he WAS the underdeog in these fights and knocked the hell out of both of them.

But DLH at least has some great wins and looked great against Mayorga before fighting which allowed alot of posters here to believe he might beat Floyd.

Jermain's ENTIRE title reign was full of close and controversial decisions and one somewhat unimpressive win against Ouma...I mean Spinks, a hell of a fighter, BUT someone Zab Judah knocked out at 147, argaubaly beat Jermain...And I really like Jermain and think JErmain could be gerat but lacks the ring smarts and has too many holes in his defense.

I just think Mosley & Judah combined is a little better then Taylor & Miranda...
WolfishPromistah
Pavlik is my choice. I said it before the Mayweather / Hatton bout; I say it now. He beat three extreme top guys of his division, with one being THE man while the other two were feared in the ring. And the way he did so it impressively, after being the underdog in no less than two of the three bouts, is to be highly regarded in my opinion. What he did in the entirety is that "ROCKY -- come from behind unexpectedly, win the oscar for movie of the year type shyt." Note that I have Floyd second and Cotto after that. Nevertheless, congratulations to "Money."
singletrack
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 22 2007, 01:10 AM) [snapback]371753[/snapback]
Cotto knocked out MAYBE a top 10 guy in Judah (again, having not won a fight in 2 years even THAT is arguable) and squeaked out a win over a top 5ish guy in Mosley.

Top 5-ish? Who are your top 5 Welters?
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(singletrack @ Dec 22 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]371799[/snapback]
Top 5-ish? Who are your top 5 Welters?

Mayweather, Cotto, Williams and Margarito have all beaten top guys at 147. The ONLY name Mosley has beaten at 147 is Collazo, and he is a top 10 guy not a top 5 guy.

So to answer your question, I would rank those 4 as the top 4 with Mosley likely as #5 - so like I said he is top 5ish.

So I maintain that beating a #1 and #3 guy in a division means more than beating a #5 and #10 guy in a division in terms of accomplishment, so IMO Pavlik accomplished a greater feat than Cotto.

Actually George brings up a good point. Pavlik WAS the underdog in his fights with Miranda and Taylor yet he won them in impressive fashion.

Cotto was a 3-1 favorite over Judah and a 3-2 favorite over Mosley... so from an odds standpoint Cotto won fights that he was "supposed" to win where Pavlik won fights that he was "supposed" to lose... so what Pavlik did was more impressive.

JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 22 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]371796[/snapback]
I really think Pavlik had a hell of a year for the simple fact that he WAS the underdeog in these fights and knocked the hell out of both of them.

But DLH at least has some great wins and looked great against Mayorga before fighting which allowed alot of posters here to believe he might beat Floyd.

Jermain's ENTIRE title reign was full of close and controversial decisions and one somewhat unimpressive win against Ouma...I mean Spinks, a hell of a fighter, BUT someone Zab Judah knocked out at 147, argaubaly beat Jermain...And I really like Jermain and think JErmain could be gerat but lacks the ring smarts and has too many holes in his defense.

I just think Mosley & Judah combined is a little better then Taylor & Miranda...

Even fighting Bernard close twice, and a draw with Winky is more impressive than what we have seen of Oscar over the past 4 years, and in fairness...you think Mayorga is garbage, no? Personally, I thought it was a good win - I am just saying, the logic has to be consistent. Hatton at 147 beat Collazo in a close fight in my opinion...but did you think that?

Cotto I will not argue with, I thought he or Pavlik deserved the nod because of what they did in their division...they both fought 3 times, one became champ; the other became the number one contender to Floyd with a KO win over Zab and a very close decision win over Sugar Shane. I thought the Mosley fight was a draw...but I do not take issue with the decision.

To extend on what you said about a lot of people thinking DLH would win...I will say that most people picked Miranda to beat Pavlik, and many picked JT.

I lean toward Pavlik though because of the way he won the fights and the progression of who he beat...dangerous puncher and contender, most feared guy in the division, undisputed champ - all knocked out.

You can make a case for a few guys, and the one guy lost in all of this is Juan Diaz. Two knockout wins over Acelino Freites and Julio Diaz and the guy doesn't even get a sniff. I think Floyd is probably the story of the year in boxing, and has certainly elevated his status in the general public more than anyone, but fighter of the year I lean in a different direction.

Hey look...it is GOOD NEWS for boxing that we are even having this discussion - regardless where you stand. Good stuff.
singletrack
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 22 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]371812[/snapback]
Mayweather, Cotto, Williams and Margarito have all beaten top guys at 147. The ONLY name Mosley has beaten at 147 is Collazo, and he is a top 10 guy not a top 5 guy.

So to answer your question, I would rank those 4 as the top 4 with Mosley likely as #5 - so like I said he is top 5ish.
So I maintain that beating a #1 and #3 guy in a division means more than beating a #5 and #10 guy in a division in terms of accomplishment, so IMO Pavlik accomplished a greater feat than Cotto.

Actually George brings up a good point. Pavlik WAS the underdog in his fights with Miranda and Taylor yet he won them in impressive fashion.

Cotto was a 3-1 favorite over Judah and a 3-2 favorite over Mosley... so from an odds standpoint Cotto won fights that he was "supposed" to win where Pavlik won fights that he was "supposed" to lose... so what Pavlik did was more impressive.

I see your point about Mosley not having fought enough names at 147, but I wouldn't rank Margarito or PW over him based on skill. I guess my point is that I don't see anyone giving Cotto a tougher fight than Mosley save PBF and maybe PW. So I think Cotto arguably took the toughest fight available to him and you can't count that against him. I don't think the "rankings" are too relevant in this discussion. I'm just looking at the quality of opposition.

Although, I think the underdog aspect is interesting as you, and George, mention.
caneman
I lean toward Pavlik though because of the way he won the fights and the progression of who he beat...dangerous puncher and contender, most feared guy in the division, undisputed champ - all knocked out.

good post JD & i am sure glad i am not the only one who thinks pavlik had the best year...everyone(well not everyone but...)says he had 2 good wins when in fact he had 3 good wins & was not favored in 2 of the fights & stopped all 3 fighters that have never been stopped as a pro! for me, that is just very hard to top!
The CEO
Has anyone called you a Pavlicker yet, caneman..?

laugh.gif

Just fuckin' with ya...I would have been happy to see Pavlik win the award too...but Money couldn't be denied this year.
caneman
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 22 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]371826[/snapback]
Has anyone called you a Pavlicker yet, caneman..?

laugh.gif
Just fuckin' with ya...I would have been happy to see Pavlik win the award too...but Money couldn't be denied this year.

lmfao! i guess they could if they wanted too! i just see pavlik as #1, cotto as #2 & PBF @ #3. i am bias to KO's & someone who takes it out of the judges hands & no one did that better than the ghost this year rolleyes.gif NO ONE
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(singletrack @ Dec 22 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]371818[/snapback]
I see your point about Mosley not having fought enough names at 147, but I wouldn't rank Margarito or PW over him based on skill.

Fighters aren't ranked on skill they are ranked based on their work in any given division. Williams beating Margarito and Margarito beating Clottey and Cintron are bigger wins than Mosley over Collazo, so they get ranked higher. I agree that Mosley is more skilled, which in theory means that if he stuck around in the division long enough he would beat more people and be ranked higher, but rankings aren't done based on mythical matchups and who you think is better and would win fights - they are simply done based on the body of work of a fighter at any given weight class.

BigG
Even fighting Bernard close twice, and a draw with Winky is more impressive than what we have seen of Oscar over the past 4 years, and in fairness...you think Mayorga is garbage, no? Personally, I thought it was a good win - I am just saying, the logic has to be consistent. Hatton at 147 beat Collazo in a close fight in my opinion...but did you think that?

That is a very good point.

I don't think Mayorga is GARBAGE. He is what he is...a strong wild puncher who had enough to beat Fatnando..but I don't think he could beat any elite fighter.

I think Collazo won the fight with Hatton although it was close...

I give Pavlik big props for the Taylor win...Pavil is a monster no doubt..and Miranda is a good win but Miranda's got little skill...the guy is not much better then Mayorga IMO.

Mayweather, Pavlik and Cotto all had outstanding years this year...I just think the competition of Cotto MIGHT have been the stiffest. At 147, I think Judah is just as good as Hatton at that weight. But then again, Mayweather REALLY exploded this year beating a HOFer like Oscar (something only HOFers like Hopkins, Mosley (2nd fight was controversial), Tito (controversial) did and Ricky Hatton...who was undefeated and looked like a beast against Castillo earlier this year.

Cotto = TKO 11 Judah, W 12 Mosley
Mayweather: W 12 De La Hoya, TKO 10 Hatton
Pavlik: TKO 7 Taylor, TKO 7 Miranda

But man I don't know...looking at it now... I guess you can make a case for all 3...Those are definitely the top 3 of the year...but Mayweather and Cotto's opp might've been a little stiffer IMO.
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 22 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]371834[/snapback]
That is a very good point.

I don't think Mayorga is GARBAGE. He is what he is...a strong wild puncher who had enough to beat Fatnando..but I don't think he could beat any elite fighter.

I think Collazo won the fight with Hatton although it was close...

I give Pavlik big props for the Taylor win...Pavil is a monster no doubt..and Miranda is a good win but Miranda's got little skill...the guy is not much better then Mayorga IMO.

Mayweather, Pavlik and Cotto all had outstanding years this year...I just think the competition of Cotto MIGHT have been the stiffest. At 147, I think Judah is just as good as Hatton at that weight. But then again, Mayweather REALLY exploded this year beating a HOFer like Oscar (something only HOFers like Hopkins, Mosley (2nd fight was controversial), Tito (controversial) did and Ricky Hatton...who was undefeated and looked like a beast against Castillo earlier this year.

But man I don't know...looking at it now... I guess you can make a case for all 3...Those are definitely the top 3 of the year...but Mayweather and Cotto's opp might've been a little stiffer IMO.

Thats cool. I think in the end, we may be splitting hairs here and we could probably have this conversation for HOURS...and like I said, that is good news. I guess the way the fights were won may be what makes the difference for me...but in the end, you can make a case for a few guys.

I hope that this time next year, we are all sitting here deliberating who deserves fighter of the year in this same manner...with this many guys having a legit case.
BrutalBodyShots
I think it all comes down to the criteria you use to judge Fighter of the Year. I mean if you are going by work in a respective division or if you are going by who beat the best fighters P4P.

I mean take a guy like Glen Johnson, the 2004 Fighter of the Year. He received that based on what he did in the division, beating Jones and Tarver... but most would agree that Jones and Tarver at that stage weren't great or even very good fighters. However, they were the best in the division and Johnson beat them. If you look around at other divisions plenty of fighters had bigger wins, but they didn't accomplish what Johnson did in his division. I think that is where the argument comes in for Pavlik, referencing the Johnson example from 2004.

Southeastpaw
QUOTE(caneman @ Dec 22 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]371827[/snapback]
lmfao! i guess they could if they wanted too! i just see pavlik as #1, cotto as #2 & PBF @ #3. i am bias to KO's & someone who takes it out of the judges hands & no one did that better than the ghost this year rolleyes.gif NO ONE

Well done Good Sir!!! I agree totally.

- biggeorge

When it is this close in terms of fighter of the year, one should take into account activity level for that year as well. So that list should be:

Cotto = TKO 11 Judah, W 12 Mosley, TKO 11 Urkal
Pavlik: TKO 7 Taylor, TKO 7 Miranda, KO 8 Zertuchi

And Zertuchi nor Urkal are fighters to scoff at.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 22 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]371839[/snapback]
I think it all comes down to the criteria you use to judge Fighter of the Year. I mean if you are going by work in a respective division or if you are going by who beat the best fighters P4P.

I mean take a guy like Glen Johnson, the 2004 Fighter of the Year. He received that based on what he did in the division, beating Jones and Tarver... but most would agree that Jones and Tarver at that stage weren't great or even very good fighters. However, they were the best in the division and Johnson beat them. If you look around at other divisions plenty of fighters had bigger wins, but they didn't accomplish what Johnson did in his division. I think that is where the argument comes in for Pavlik, referencing the Johnson example from 2004.

I think Glen Johnson beat Woods that year also.That was a great year for Johnson.
singletrack
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 22 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]371832[/snapback]
Fighters aren't ranked on skill they are ranked based on their work in any given division. Williams beating Margarito and Margarito beating Clottey and Cintron are bigger wins than Mosley over Collazo, so they get ranked higher. I agree that Mosley is more skilled, which in theory means that if he stuck around in the division long enough he would beat more people and be ranked higher, but rankings aren't done based on mythical matchups and who you think is better and would win fights - they are simply done based on the body of work of a fighter at any given weight class.

Dude, what is with you today? I don't need to have this shit explained to me. I'm saying that in terms of quality I would rank Mosley over them, not that I ACTUALLY think he should be ranked higher having only fought one average welter prior to his fight with Cotto. What he showed in the Cotto fight was that he is still one of the top guys at Welter. We are taking about FOTY and what arguments can be made, so I'm explaining my thought process.
AussieLad
I say the Oscar, Taylor and Mosely fights cancel themselves out. You can make arguments that one is slightly better than the others, but its at a hair splitting level, so for arguments sake lets call them even

So then you look at the 2nd string fights, Hatton, Miranda and Judah. Who is the best of these fighters, and i think its hatton by a mile. Hatton would smash judah at 140 and probably win a war at 147. And mirandas accomplishments dont compare to hattons

So there you have it. Clear win in FOTY for floyd. Even though i still cant stand the guy, its obvious
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(singletrack @ Dec 22 2007, 05:31 PM) [snapback]371875[/snapback]
Dude, what is with you today? I don't need to have this shit explained to me. I'm saying that in terms of quality I would rank Mosley over them, not that I ACTUALLY think he should be ranked higher having only fought one average welter prior to his fight with Cotto. What he showed in the Cotto fight was that he is still one of the top guys at Welter. We are taking about FOTY and what arguments can be made, so I'm explaining my thought process.

LOL what do you mean what is with ME? I said earlier that Mosley is a top 5ish welter, and you reply with "top 5ish? who are your top 5?" implying that you didn't agree with my take on Mosley's ranking. Then you go on to say that even though you agree with the fact that fighters should be ranked according to their accomplishments (and that Mosley should be #5) you rank Mosley over them "in terms of quality." I'm not sure what that means really.

Bottom line is that if Cotto had beaten Mayweather, Margarito or Williams this year instead of Mosley he would have beaten a better welterweight. A better name? No, but a guy in his prime ranked above Mosley? No doubt. Had Cotto beaten one of them it would be hard to argue against him being fighter of the year.

xxxxxx
thumbsup_anim.gif
WolfishPromistah
I just feel that more credit can be given to someone possessing a name that’s not as big, with that distinction kind of being cancelled out provided deeper consideration is lent towards aspects of a fighter’s ranking in a division – whether he’s the clear underdog, and the quality of the win (i.e., meaning tough fight with brutality of KO). Kelly Pavlik just excels in these areas. And he brutally beat three of the toughest in his division, not just two. Sure, those guys he beat don’t bring in nearly the money of an Oscar Delahoya, and Ricky Hatton’s legitimately won the praise that's followed his name as there was no reason to believe he’d be easy to dominate – at 147, but even more at 140. But truthfully, it seems to me that a lot of what makes the Delahoya and Hatton wins so great for 2007 is the 24/7 hype and PPV money the fights brought more than anything else. It's Delahoya and Hatton after all! -- two of the biggest names in boxing -- a lot to do with support simply for countrymen, much less any "potential" skills either man posseses. But I just happen to think more highly of a young guy's accomplishments in beating the odds of his opposition to become THE man than I do someone who’s already considered THE man doing the job he was expected to do by most anyway. I'm sure happy for my man Floyd, but I "really thought" it'd be Kelly Pavlik.

Oh, and y'all "might" think I'm a little unfair here. But it's just the way Miguel Cotto was looking at the end of his fight with Mosely that kind of takes away any leanings I'd have towards his being considered fighter of the year. Sorry, Mosely was on his a$$ and Miguel was surviving 'til the end, from what I saw. And I definitely checked again to see last night, to determine that in the 9th round is when he got in trouble and stayed away (between the 1:32 & 1:17 mark on the clock, before he was hit with a good shot again near the end of the round). The only thing that kept him in it was his will to try more than anything, which is good. But he was in deep desperation -- to try and keep composure -- more than ever before by the closing rounds of that one, backing away -- even by a little jumping to his rear, leaning back on the ropes, and throwing here and there to try to keep Mosely off of him more than anything. One thing I think that may have contributed some to Mosely's losing momentum was his own falling down hard as he pursued Cotto. And the Judah bout -- well, who really has the "balls" to dwell on that one? LoL!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.