Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mayweather going to MMA?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
caneman
here's the story! http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=3165552
Southeastpaw
Well,that is where the money is going to start flowing from the looks of things. While I do not think that Floyd would do very well in MMA, it would be interesting to see. But if he wants to strike a big payday in MMA, he needs to skip HDNet and go right into the UFC. They are the only real money dogs of MMA at the moment.

I feel this is all crazy talk though. I will be very surprised if Floyd actually does this.
caneman
those 2 could make a great promotional team money wise! we'll have to see how it plays out!
Future_Champ
floyd would never really do that...I think he just wants to get people talking and get more exposer. Smart move by his team so he can make more big pays days in 08.
and the NEW
ha ha, I cannot see this happening whatsoever!

Definately might invest in the MMA (he is all about the money afterall), but fight himself? NA.
Southeastpaw
Gotta hand it to Floyd though. he is pretty smart. Can't go wrong hangin with a guy like Cuban.
Southeastpaw
This would actually be much more fitting for Hatton. I could definitely see him making the transition rather easily.
BigG
QUOTE(and the NEW @ Dec 22 2007, 05:17 AM) [snapback]371739[/snapback]
ha ha, I cannot see this happening whatsoever!

Definately might invest in the MMA (he is all about the money afterall), but fight himself? NA.

Agreed
AussieLad
Expect a seriously hand picked opponent. One that cant shoot in for a take down, or kick, or knee him when floyd shows off the shoulder roll

Expect it to be an ex boxer that hasnt actually made a real transition to MMA
BrutalBodyShots
BS. Floyd is all about 8 figure paydays and he'd have to fight 10 times or more in the UFC to see that.

Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 22 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]371746[/snapback]
Well Floyd would have to hope it happens pretty soon. Isn't the Oscar De La Hoya of MMA (Tito Ortiz) only a thousandaire? LOL. I don't think anyone makes more than $1million per fight.
No way Floyd goes there if the money is that shit. MMA have good cards but they are fighting for peanuts, it's kind of equivalent to people fighting in 3rd world countries for a bowl of soup.

This is true. The fighters don't get paid shit really. Dana makes a load on the PPV sales, seein as how he has them on average about once a month. But I would figure if Floyd was to get anywhere near serious about this, he would be on the bizness end of a fight in and outside the ring. No doubt he would not be fighting for what the fighters are makin right now. But the way the sport is coming along, these guys are going to end up demanding more money. The sport is picking up at an insane speed. Couture didn't like what was goin on and walked.

But I do doubt anything will come from this crap Floyd is talkin at the moment.

Oh, and Tito ain't really shit anymore. Not the DLH of MMA by any means.
AussieLad
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 22 2007, 05:59 AM) [snapback]371750[/snapback]
BS. Floyd is all about 8 figure paydays and he'd have to fight 10 times or more in the UFC to see that.

I agree this has no chance of happening. But what is to say if he did make a fight that he would do so under the UFC. He could stage his own card, so long as he could market the PPV event.

Warlord
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 22 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]371746[/snapback]
Well Floyd would have to hope it happens pretty soon. Isn't the Oscar De La Hoya of MMA (Tito Ortiz) only a thousandaire? LOL. I don't think anyone makes more than $1million per fight.
No way Floyd goes there if the money is that shit. MMA have good cards but they are fighting for peanuts, it's kind of equivalent to people fighting in 3rd world countries for a bowl of soup.

1.) Tito Ortiz is not, nor was he ever, the "DLH" of MMA. I'd say respectively, throughout their careers, Kazushi Sakuraba, Wanderlei Silva, Randy Cotoure, and Chuck Liddell were the closest things MMA ever had to a De La Hoya. Overall though, MMA events are marketed much like the NFL. The athletes aren't the star, the sport itself is the star.

2.) Agreed that for the most part, MMA fighters are getting it on for peanuts compared to A-level boxers. This is rapidly changing though, and I expect a world champion like Floyd Mayweather could make enough headlines with his crossover to make it a viable promotion. None of this is going to happen though, because...

3.) Floyd would get gutted like a fish the second he stepped into the ring/octagon with a legit MMA fighter. (And much the same way an MMA fighter would get gutted if he stepped into a boxing ring under boxing rules.)
AussieLad
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 22 2007, 08:22 AM) [snapback]371771[/snapback]
Well you definitely know more than me when it comes to MMA, so maybe I was wrong about Ortiz. I was just making the point that the biggest star in MMA probably doesn't make even a $1million per fight, and Mayweather is always about the money. I'm not sure I could even see him going over there for the amount of money he would probably fight for.

If he wasnt under a traditional mma promotional banner, he may be able to pull in his traditional fans, mma fans, and freakshow fans... lol
kidbazooka1
Mayweather is ust trying to attract all the attention he can get just like his so called retirment after the DLH fight.

Floyd isn't stupid he knows he has no chance at all in MMA he's small and he's not a big puncher he would get taken down and stopped rather easly.
Blayde
QUOTE(Warlord @ Dec 22 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]371767[/snapback]
3.) Floyd would get gutted like a fish the second he stepped into the ring/octagon with a legit MMA fighter. (And much the same way an MMA fighter would get gutted if he stepped into a boxing ring under boxing rules.)

Now thats not necessarily right. A good boxer may definitely have the tools to become a good MMA fighter, too. Just like guys like Crocop who were kickboxers or Fedor who was a sambo fighter what didnt really include is nice stand up game back then.

But fore sure it would be a very huge risk for Floyd if he really was to try MMA. Im not sure about the money though. Yeah, in UFC they dont get that much. But with Cuban, who knows what he would be willing to pay for boxings p4p number 1 in an MMA fight? Possibly that wouldnt be an issue. Still even if it wasnt, I just cant imagine Floyd taking that risk. He didnt even want to fight Margarito when that fight probably was the most money making thing for him at that hime. And that would have been a boxing match...
caneman
i am not sure PBF would be mean enough nor want his pretty face all fucked up & in MMA or UFC, guys could take away any advantage that PBF has. i wonder what would happen if they(cuban & PBF)teamed up in boxing as well?!?!?! the don king's & arum's won't be around forever & that's why golden boy has jumped into the mix.
Douchebag
Kermit Cintron would probably do better in MMA than Floyd. Because Kermit actually wrestled in High School.
JD
This is ridiculous.

With the push he has been given this year, and with all the terrific fights that can be made at his weight - if he goes MMA instead of fighting these guys, it will detract from whatever legacy he is trying to leave.

I hope he gets taken apart if he steps in the octagon, and if he fights anyone worth their salt - I am confident he would. Floyd ain't exactly going to want to deal with a ground and pound.

Stay active, make the fights at your weight...and stop with this MMA stuff. Floyd has a chance to really do something special if he chooses.
caneman
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 22 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]371784[/snapback]
This is ridiculous.

With the push he has been given this year, and with all the terrific fights that can be made at his weight - if he goes MMA instead of fighting these guys, it will detract from whatever legacy he is trying to leave.

I hope he gets taken apart if he steps in the octagon, and if he fights anyone worth their salt - I am confident he would. Floyd ain't exactly going to want to deal with a ground and pound.

Stay active, make the fights at your weight...and stop with this MMA stuff. Floyd has a chance to really do something special if he chooses.

co-sign on all the above! truth is though, even if PBF could make 4 times what everyone is making, he ain't going to take that kinda ass beating even on the streets! it ain't going to happen but for those of us that would love to see him bleed, it's a nice daydream rolleyes.gif
JD
Floyd...you are a master in the BOXING RING. Apply your craft, build your legacy, and STOP the nonsense.
jlupi
floyd will go into go into mma promotion and managing fighters.

His style aint good for mma unless he gets real good on the ground. He doesnt have the power to keep from being taken down.

Now W. Klit i think could do very well in mma. get a good takedown defence and he has the offensive striking skills and power that no one in mma has ever seen. esp w those gloves
caneman
QUOTE(jlupi @ Dec 22 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]371798[/snapback]
floyd will go into go into mma promotion and managing fighters.

His style aint good for mma unless he gets real good on the ground. He doesnt have the power to keep from being taken down.

Now W. Klit i think could do very well in mma. get a good takedown defence and he has the offensive striking skills and power that no one in mma has ever seen. esp w those gloves

he actually used to kick box...it's on youtube somewhere!
singletrack
I think it's just a BS publicity stunt, but it's annoying for the following reasons:

Mark Cuban is a fucking douchebag.

It gives more momentum to the retarded "boxing is dead, MMA is where it's at" argument when the best fighter in the world says he wants to go to MMA.

Floyd has plenty left to accomplish in boxing by beating Cotto at the very least.
TheSmartestGuyintheRoom
This is actually pretty hilarious.

After all the money Golden Boy and HBO sank into this fuggin guy he decides to hype up MMA.

So fitting...
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Dec 21 2007, 11:23 PM) [snapback]371743[/snapback]
This would actually be much more fitting for Hatton. I could definitely see him making the transition rather easily.

Co sign in a big way!!!!

Jack
BrutalBodyShots
Guys, Mayweather will never fight a professional MMA fight. End of story. This talk is a waste of time.

Blayde
QUOTE(caneman @ Dec 22 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]371800[/snapback]
he actually used to kick box...it's on youtube somewhere!

I guess with WK we are talking about Wladimir, Vitali was the kickboxer and as far as I know he was a pretty good one. Thats doesnt make a big difference though, I think both have a striking game that would be interesting to see in MMA.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(Blayde @ Dec 22 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]371824[/snapback]
I guess with WK we are talking about Wladimir, Vitali was the kickboxer and as far as I know he was a pretty good one. Thats doesnt make a big difference though, I think both have a striking game that would be interesting to see in MMA.

Vitali was the kickboxer.

My friend, Pele Reid, knocked him out at the World Championships with a spinning hook kick I think it was.

Pele Reid went into professional boxing after fighting in K-1. He built up an impressive string of KO's in the early rounds before loosing in a shock defeat to Julias Francis.

He moved back into K-1 for a few fights and has just gone back into pro boxing....he's being trained by Richie Woodhall (ex WBC Super Middle) I think and had a couple of comeback wins.

I used to train with both of them.

Back on subject....Floyd will NEVER do MMA. If he did, he'd get murked. He's not the right type of boxer to make the transition. A boxer like Tyson or Tua would've been better, imo.
Lil-lightsout
Tell Floyd to give Ray Mercer and Frans Botha a call to see how they made out in the octagon. Stick to four ring posts and four ropes, and fight Cotto, Margarito, Williams, or Mosley. Thats what we really want to see you do.
Jack 1000
My concern is the differences in styles of fighting between boxing and MMA. Floyd's natural gift is his speed and dexterity inside the ring, not grabbing strength. But what is most important is that MMA is not a natural for Floyd. Why put his body in an uncomfortable environment? Conventional boxers should stick to boxing and MMA should stay in MMA. Otherwise, it makes a circus carnival act of both sports.

Jack
STEVENSKI
I would love for PBF to fight a Hughes, Serra or GSP just to see him get taken down & destroyed. Call it a peverted desire if you will.
Method
Hands would NEVER hold up in those very light gloves. If this cat's hand get f'd up or at least sore boxing, he might as well cruch them in a vise grip to get a taste of whart punching in those MMA glove would feel like in comparison.

Face it, boxing would be his primary skillset, so he'd have to be punching.

I tend to think he gets wasted....

...whatever. I think it's bullshit, and I wasted too much time on the subject already.
streetlion1
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 23 2007, 03:07 AM) [snapback]371917[/snapback]
I would love for PBF to fight a Hughes, Serra or GSP just to see him get taken down & destroyed. Call it a peverted desire if you will.

I agree with that! Its just another way to draw the focus and attention away from a fight with one of the top welters. Anyone else feel Gayweather getting cold feet?!
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Dec 23 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]371944[/snapback]
I agree with that! Its just another way to draw the focus and attention away from a fight with one of the top welters. Anyone else feel Gayweather getting cold feet?!

Cold feet as far as what?

D-MARV

Cold Feet?
About what?
a fight with Cotto?
Mayweather aint gonna step in MMA!
He'll end up fighting Cotto in June, and call it a year!!!!
streetlion1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 23 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]371969[/snapback]
Cold Feet?
About what?
a fight with Cotto?
Mayweather aint gonna step in MMA!
He'll end up fighting Cotto in June, and call it a year!!!!

Cold feet to fight Not only Cotto but Mosley and the other welters. Hope a fight with Cotto does happen though!! This MMA talk is rediculous
Spyder
I think this MMA talk is BS too. Besides, isn't there a DLH rematch being talked about? Mark Cuban may be a billionare, but there's no way he'd fork up enough dough to persuade Floyd out of that payday.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(jlupi @ Dec 22 2007, 09:10 AM) [snapback]371798[/snapback]

No.
AussieLad
If Wlad did make a move to MMA i would like to see him fight Arlovski

Arlovski is a big man who moves extremely well for his size, and is a great striker with vicious KO power. He does have a head problem i think, but when his mind is in the right place the guy is a beast
xxxxxx
After I've had time to think about this, I've decided that it would be very interesting to see Mayweather fight a couple MMA fights.People have the perception that Boxers can't wrestle or defend takedowns, but this is not always true.Many boxers today are very good wrestlers.They just don't practice it anymore because they don't have to.I'm not one of those ignorant Mayweather fans that believe he could become an MMA champ or anything, but I do believe with the right matchmaking he can compete with some of these fighters.Mayweather is Very athletic and has proved that he is a smart dude.He has a good frame to fight in the Lightweight division in MMA.I also believe Mayweather is stronger than people give him credit for.His legs are in excellent condition and he has great stamina and energy.With the right training and the right people around him I see no reason why he can't beat some decent fighters in MMA.I don't think he will go through with this, but It wouldn't shock me if he did fight 1 or 2 fights just to see what it's all about.For a 30 yr old boxer, he hasn't taken a lot of punishment and Has a lot of fight left in him.If Mayweather decides to do this he shouldn't be critisized for it, Mayweather has the right to do what he wants.If that means fight a couple MMA fights, than so be it.
BoxingStill#1
All in all, pbf is an outstanding champion who has, for the most part, beaten world class challenges convinsingly. Making this transition would, in fact, make history. He reallly has nothing to lose! If he does decide to fight in a hand picked MMA fight, and he does lose,..what would it matter?...His legacy is in boxing, not MMA. Much like when Jordan played baseball. He did'nt make many headlines or records,...but he made alote of money! We all can agree that that is what pbf is trying to do, other than futher his legacey. I personally dont think he would do well. It would go against every instinct he has. Which is to be a defensive, counter fighter. Any smart MMA fighter would take advantage of his lack expierence on the ground, and capitolize on it.

Bad for his wallet,....
Good for his legacy,.....
Tough one.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 2 2008, 01:09 AM) [snapback]373162[/snapback]
All in all, pbf is an outstanding champion who has, for the most part, beaten world class challenges convinsingly. Making this transition would, in fact, make history. He reallly has nothing to lose! If he does decide to fight in a hand picked MMA fight, and he does lose,..what would it matter?...His legacy is in boxing, not MMA. Much like when Jordan played baseball. He did'nt make many headlines or records,...but he made alote of money! We all can agree that that is what pbf is trying to do, other than futher his legacey. I personally dont think he would do well. It would go against every instinct he has. Which is to be a defensive, counter fighter. Any smart MMA fighter would take advantage of his lack expierence on the ground, and capitolize on it.

Bad for his wallet,....
Good for his legacy,.....
Tough one.

I agree with most of your post and especially the part of making history.That's the key here.When someone tries to make history they should be respected win,lose or draw.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.