Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's next for Mosley?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Douchebag
Eventhough he lost to Cotto I still rank him in the top 5 in the Welterweight division?

Cotto-After how the fight went down a rematch is not out of the question eventhough I think Cotto does better the second time around.
Mayorga-Is looking to come back down to 147 and that would be and easy fight for Shane to win IMO.
Paul Williams-That is one way to reastablish yourself as the man to beat a WW, but is a very risky fight for anybody at WW.

All things considered I think Mosley would take the easy money and beat the snot out of Mayorga.
Big Slim Sweet
I've been wondering that too. Seems like Shane's being brushed aside a little bit since the loss to Cotto. I thought if anything his stock should have gone up from that fight. I thought he looked great and easily could have gotten the nod.

Mayorga is a good bet I think. An established name and Mosley should kill him. I'm actually HOPING Mosley does NOT wind up taking on either Margarito or Williams. I'm tired of Sugar being the one to always fight the young hungry guys that none of the other big stars will.

Mosley-Cintron would be an interesting matchup that was once talked about but appears unlikely now. Same with Clottey who's in line for a title shot. A rematch with Cotto would make sense but I feel like we would have heard some rumblings by now if it were being considered. And there's always Zab.

I still maintain Mosley is the guy who would beat Floyd at welterweight. I think PBF suspects it too.
salvador
Mosley should retire. He said he was thinking about it and unless he fights Mayorga, there aren't any big money fights out there for him.

And as far as the big guys at ww go, I'm with Slim. Shane has no business getting in the ring with Margarito or Williams. If anything, Floyd and Cotto should be DYING to fight those guys, just like Shane would have been 7 years ago. Now it's too late. He's too old to take that kind of punishment and he has no chance of koing either of those guys. The sad thing is that he really is the only star at ww who I can see getting in the ring with Marg or PW.
BigG
I really dont think Margarito or Williams would PUNISH Mosley.

Mosley's been in there with Winky 2x, Cotto, and DLH 2x and has held his own and I believe they are better then Margarito and Williams.
D-MARV
I would like to see Mosley and Antonio fight. The winner should get a title shot!
Douchebag
I think Mosley would woop Margarito.
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 24 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]372085[/snapback]

Mosley's been in there with Winky 2x, Cotto, and DLH 2x and has held his own and I believe they are better then Margarito and Williams.

Both Marg and Williams would land lots and lots of shots. That's not to say that Mosley might not eek out a bloody decision against Tony (Shane has no shot against PW), but he'd have to eat too much leather because both of those guys throw 100+ punches a round and Shane's not fast enough to get out of the way. Mosley isn't the same fighter he was against Winky and though the guys you mentioned definitely have better skills than PW or Marg, both Marg and PW have really tough styles for anyone - particularly aging fighters who tend to brawl way too much for their own good.

And I'd take Williams over Cotto all day and over today's DLH as well. Winky vs PW would be a really interesting fight, and I'd take PW on points.
streetlion1
Next for Mosley? Well since its clear PBF wants no part of him I would like to see him fight Paul Williams. Its clear Shane has a helluva lot left and though Williams punch output is mighty impressive, I cant see him easily winning that fight. I dont think there is any way that PW would be able to hurt Mosley. Cause though he throws alot, most of his punches he just kind of flicks out there. I could see Shane landing some big shots on him as he leaves himself open. Also there is still Shanes speed to deal with. At this point I see Shane being a problem for anyone in the division, and dont think guys are going to be in a rush to step in the ring with him.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 24 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]372085[/snapback]

Yeah and he's that much older and more shopworn for it... Margarito or Williams would dominate Mosley. Mosley is notorious for having trouble with taller fighters with good chins and stamina. Keep in mind that his fight's with David Estrada and Collazo were no walks in the park... Mosley should retire. The Cotto fight was tough and brutal at times. Go be with your pretty wife and great kids. BTW, his oldest looks like he may be working his way up to becoming a boxer. I hope Shane trains him...
Lil-lightsout
Shane Mosley can beat ANY welterweight out there today, he showed that against Cotto. If Shane still has the desire to fight the big dogs, why not? I would favor Shane over PW and AM. It is a toss up between him and Cotto, and I would slightly favor Floyd over him. He still got the tools to get a win over any one of these guys.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 24 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]372096[/snapback]
Shane Mosley can beat ANY welterweight out there today, he showed that against Cotto. If Shane still has the desire to fight the big dogs, why not? I would favor Shane over PW and AM. It is a toss up between him and Cotto, and I would slightly favor Floyd over him. He still got the tools to get a win over any one of these guys.

Would you favor him over Vernon Forest or Winky Wright??
salvador
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 24 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]372098[/snapback]
There really isn't much else for Mosley. He doesn't strike me as the guy that likes to take the easy route and there really isn't much else for him, and if he really is serious about his boxing still. Go straight to Margarito. I know it's not his ideal opponent and could be wrong for him, but I think he can win it and really there isn't much else, unless he can get Cotto to come back for a rematch.

One thing about him fighting Margarito is that it really would be an appropriate end to his career, win or lose. I don't want to see Mosley go out as a shell of himself, but getting ko'd in a blaze of glory would be a beautiful way to go.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Dec 24 2007, 06:44 PM) [snapback]372094[/snapback]
Mosley is notorious for having trouble with taller fighters with good chins and stamina. Keep in mind that his fight's with David Estrada and Collazo were no walks in the park.

Do you mean his fights with Estrada and Cruz? Cause Mosley basically toyed with Collazo.

How about Ike Quartey? Isn't he talking about a return to welterweight? He showed in his bouts last year with Forrest and Wink that he still has something left. Mosley-Quartey would be a solid scrap. I could actually see Ike's jab posing Shane a lot of problems come to think of it.

Mayorga would be the ideal opponent for him next I think. A highly beatable marquee opponent and a way to somewhat put the Forrest fights behind him.
streetlion1
I think alot of people are under-estimating Mosley. He went the distance and almost beat Cotto, who is the best in the division today. Also there isnt a welter who can really test his chin, and you'd be hard-pressed to find one who could out-box him (besides maybe PBF but, we won't get to see that!)
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Dec 24 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]372097[/snapback]
Would you favor him over Vernon Forest or Winky Wright??

Last time I checked Winky fought at 170lbs, he is not exactly a welterweight. Those two will not fight again. Vernon Forrest fights at Jr. Middleweight, and if Mosley was to move up a division to fight Vernon, I think it would be a toss-up. They both are not the same fighters they once were.
BrutalBodyShots
The fact that Mosley fought a very close fight with Cotto and arguably won has little bearing on his future at welter... because from a style standpoint Mosley would struggle with Margarito, Williams and Mayweather and probably lose all 3 of those fights. The only real fight I see him winning at 147 is against Cintron, and he's lined up to defend against Clottey next (and IMO Clottey will win) which means Mosley would have to wait until the fall to get a shot at someone... and I see Clottey being a tougher fight for Shane than Cintron as well. Basically Mosley being 8-10 years past his prime is in a tough spot being that the rest of the division is in their prime right now.
kidbazooka1
I think Margarito is also a bad match up style wise for Shane but Mayorga would be a fun fight.
The CEO
Mosley should either rematch Cotto, retire, or go for Williams and Margarito....if he wins two big fights, he would be in a strong position for a shot at Money.

Clottely and Mayorga would be steps backwards.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 25 2007, 02:02 AM) [snapback]372146[/snapback]
I don't really think Mayorga is any useful to Shane. If he is purely trying to get some money from an easy fight, yeah maybe but it won't do anything for him. It will just look like he is finishing off Tito and Oscar's crap as well. He got to Vargas after Tito and Oscar smashed him and will do the same with Mayorga. It would be fun to watch, but won't do anything for him.
Mosley is at the end of his career, no use piss farting around looking for easy or crappy fights, he was thrown a life line with the Vargas wins, when everybody thought he was gone, he came back with that so he has kind of gone further than people expected anyways.
Just bite the bullet and go for Margarito, hell even though he will probably lose and it's bad match up for him but even go for Williams if there really is nothing out there for him. Margarito isn't even a fight where I think Mosley would be out of his league, I think it's a very winnable fight for him.

I agree but I also think they can find a way to spin that Mayorga beat the man who beat the man.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Dec 25 2007, 05:57 AM) [snapback]372155[/snapback]
I agree but I also think they can find a way to spin that Mayorga beat the man who beat the man.

Yeah like 5 years ago. Mayorga is unranked at welter and who knows if he can even get down to 147. I agree with the others that if Mosley decides to stay in the sport he's got to get in there with one of the top 4: Mayweather, Cotto, Margarito or Williams. Mosley would be the underdog in all of those fights, so basically Mosley needs to pull off an upset to keep his career alive in my view.

BigG
Salvador, the only reason you think Paul Williams is the shit is cus he beat the crap out of your boy, Margarito. laugh.gif

Seriously though I think Margarito and Williams are overrated. THe truth about Margarito is he's stepped up about 3 times. Against Santos, Clottey, and Williams.

I consider the Cintron win average becasuse frankly I dont think much of Cintron. He will get his ass kicked when he steps up and fights the best.

Based on Margarito's fights with the 3 names mentioned above, I don't think he dominates Mosley. I mean, he held is own against all three guys. The Santos was really close..and won about 4 rounds against Williams.

Margarito looks like a monster against Golden shot Johnson and Manuel SHOTgun Gomez..guys who were KOed about 10 years ago at 135 by Mosley. But if the guy fights a Mayweather, he will seriously look very average.

Mosley is 36, but he showed alot of toughness against Cotto, who I think is more skilled and more of an offensive beast then Margarito is.

I seriously doubt Margairto dominates Mosley. It will probably be a close fight.
BrutalBodyShots
I think Mosley would fight a close fight with all of the top 4 at 147, but I'd pick him to lose 4 close fights.

streetlion1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 25 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]372232[/snapback]
Salvador, the only reason you think Paul Williams is the shit is cus he beat the crap out of your boy, Margarito. laugh.gif

Seriously though I think Margarito and Williams are overrated. THe truth about Margarito is he's stepped up about 3 times. Against Santos, Clottey, and Williams.

I consider the Cintron win average becasuse frankly I dont think much of Cintron. He will get his ass kicked when he steps up and fights the best.

Based on Margarito's fights with the 3 names mentioned above, I don't think he dominates Mosley. I mean, he held is own against all three guys. The Santos was really close..and won about 4 rounds against Williams.

Margarito looks like a monster against Golden shot Johnson and Manuel SHOTgun Gomez..guys who were KOed about 10 years ago at 135 by Mosley. But if the guy fights a Mayweather, he will seriously look very average.

Mosley is 36, but he showed alot of toughness against Cotto, who I think is more skilled and more of an offensive beast then Margarito is.

I seriously doubt Margairto dominates Mosley. It will probably be a close fight.
good post
Lil-lightsout
1- Mayweather
2- Cotto
3- Mosely
4- Williams
5- Margarito
6- Cintron
7- Berto
8- Clottey
9- Collazo
These are the top 9 welterweights in the world in this order at this moment. Do not ask why 9? I created this ranking because I know all(about boxing), there is NO disputing me. Until these fighters engage in more fights, this is the way the ranking will stay. Once everybody learns to accept this list, we will all stop this nonsense in what order who comes after Floyd. Thank-you.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 26 2007, 02:41 AM) [snapback]372265[/snapback]
What brought this on? I don't get it.

Just messing around. EVERYBODY agrees Floyd is the man at welterweight, after that you have mixed opinions down the list. The welterweight division is stacked, and there is so much talent right now everybody has there opinion who they think comes after Floyd. That was just my opinion how I think they rank at this point in time. Hopefully all these guys will step up and fight one another and we will see who REALLY belongs in the top one or two spots in the welterweight division. Then maybe we can agree a little more, and also see some great fights. If this post makes no sense, forgive me, it has been a long day.
and the NEW
I agree with that list.

I wouldnt mind seeing a Mosley V Cotto 2 (if DLH or Mayweather dont take Cotto anytime soon). I had their fight a draw with Mosley possibly edging it (though I havent watched it on replay so my score could be a bit off), with Cotto impressing me as far as technical ability, patience, counter punching (far more measured than in many fights). Not to mention, he took a few decent shots.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 26 2007, 02:38 AM) [snapback]372264[/snapback]
1- Mayweather
2- Cotto
3- Mosely
4- Williams
5- Margarito
6- Cintron
7- Berto
8- Clottey
9- Collazo
These are the top 9 welterweights in the world in this order at this moment. Do not ask why 9? I created this ranking because I know all(about boxing), there is NO disputing me. Until these fighters engage in more fights, this is the way the ranking will stay. Once everybody learns to accept this list, we will all stop this nonsense in what order who comes after Floyd. Thank-you.

I would put Clottey ahead of Berto and maybe even Collazo right now.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 26 2007, 01:38 AM) [snapback]372264[/snapback]
1- Mayweather
2- Cotto
3- Mosely
4- Williams
5- Margarito
6- Cintron
7- Berto
8- Clottey
9- Collazo

DLH at #4 everyone else pushes down and that creates 10. Good list though!
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 25 2007, 08:38 PM) [snapback]372232[/snapback]

George, sweetheart, NOBODY'S ever "beaten the crap out of Margarito"! thumbsup_anim.gif And though we've gon over this to death, Marg was coming on strong against the 175 pound Santos, he wore Clottey out (who I think weighs around 170 in the ring), and he got outworked by a guy with 82" arms who threw over 1500 punches in 12 rounds. Put Margarito in with the smaller wws and it's an entirely different story. His game is to outphysical the next guy and that only works when you're the bigger and stronger man, like he would be against Mosley.

The reason I think so highly of Williams is strictly due to his size and his workrate. And what the Margarito fight taught us is that not only does PW have these incredible physical advantages, but he also has a hell of a chin and can take a hell of a good shot to the body. Skillwise, PW is a B+, but with that reach, the 100+ punches a round, and that chin, nobody at ww is going to beat him unless they knock him out, and Mosley ain't got that kind of power.

And I'm not at all sure that Marg beats Mosley, but I am sure that the fading, 36 year old, battle-worn Mosley would take a lot of heavy right hands and I just don't want to see the guy get hurt. He's earned a pass on a rough fight like the fight with Tony would be.

And Margarito might look average against Floyd because Floyd would be on his toes all night. Shane wouldn't be. Shane would trade with him because that's who Shane is.

I was actually kind of shocked to hear Lampley say in the Marg-Johnson telecast that Mosley, like Floyd, actually turned down $8MM to fight Tony. I think that there's a reason for that and I think that there's a reason that neither Floyd 5'8" nor Cotto 5'7" will EVER get in the ring with Williams.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(salvador @ Dec 26 2007, 11:08 AM) [snapback]372307[/snapback]
And I'm not at all sure that Marg beats Mosley, but I am sure that the fading, 36 year old, battle-worn Mosley would take a lot of heavy right hands and I just don't want to see the guy get hurt. He's earned a pass on a rough fight like the fight with Tony would be.

Agree completely. That's why I don't want to see this fight. He just had this sort of fight with Cotto as well.

But Sal there is no way Mosley turned down $8mil to fight him. He may have turned the fight down, but not at that price. If Lamps said it he was wrong. Mosley wasn't even offered $8mil to fight PBF last November, which according to Jin here a while ago is why he opted not to pursue that fight.
salvador
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 26 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]372316[/snapback]
But Sal there is no way Mosley turned down $8mil to fight him. He may have turned the fight down, but not at that price. If Lamps said it he was wrong. Mosley wasn't even offered $8mil to fight PBF last November, which according to Jin here a while ago is why he opted not to pursue that fight.

Yeah, the $8MM sounded high to me as well, but Lampley said it on an HBO telecast so I give it some credibility.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(salvador @ Dec 26 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]372334[/snapback]
Yeah, the $8MM sounded high to me as well, but Lampley said it on an HBO telecast so I give it some credibility.

Maybe Lamps said something like, 'Both Mosley and Mayweather have turned down lucrative offers in the past to fight Margarito for as much as $8 million dollars'? There is just no way that much $ was on the table for a Mosley-Margarito fight. Lamps must be getting things confused if he said otherwise.

My understanding of the situation last year was that after Mayweather turned down the 8mil to fight Margarito he and HBO began searching for another opponent for Floyd to make the same money fighting against. They went to Mosley who had previously said after two major promotions with Vargas he was looking to take the rest of the year off. Mosley said he would take the fight only if he were to get 8mil as well, and HBO and/or Goosen and/or Mayweather said no.
salvador
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 26 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]372360[/snapback]
Maybe Lamps said something like, 'Both Mosley and Mayweather have turned down lucrative offers in the past to fight Margarito for as much as $8 million dollars'? There is just no way that much $ was on the table for a Mosley-Margarito fight. Lamps must be getting things confused if he said otherwise.

No, Lampley said that both Mosley and Floyd turned down $8MM to fight Tony. He said it right after Margarito ko'd Johnson. Lampley could have gotten his facts confused, but he said it loud an clear. And while it does sound wrong, I'm not so sure because at the time Floyd and Mosley were probably about the same in terms of being a draw. The reason the fight made sense from Arum's perspective was that Margarito was going to make less than $1MM, whereas both Mosley and Floyd were going to need huge checks for fighting each other.

Somebody needs to post the Margarito-Johnson round/postfight commentary on Youtube.
neophyte7
The Johnson fight was pathetic. Margarito's sorry ass and his camp wanted to look good with a KO. They should be ashamed of themselves.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 26 2007, 02:38 AM) [snapback]372264[/snapback]
1- Mayweather
2- Cotto
3- Mosely
4- Williams
5- Margarito
6- Cintron
7- Berto
8- Clottey
9- Collazo
These are the top 9 welterweights in the world in this order at this moment.

Nope, disagree with you completely. How can you have Mosley at #3 when his ONLY WIN AT WELTER worth mentioning is over your #9? LOL.

Williams and Margarito have beaten higher ranked fighters so they are ranked accordingly (higher). Just because you think Mosley would beat them in a head to head matchup means nothing because ranks at a specific weight class are based on who a fighter has beaten at THAT weight. Justify for me how Mosley beating Collazo (#9 by your own admission) makes him the #3 welter in the world. I'd love to hear it.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 26 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]372311[/snapback]
You think his win over Gatti was really that good?

LOL Fitz I was thinking along the same lines as you. How can you rank a guy at a weight that he arguably can't even make. That would be like ranking Winky at 154 right now.

streetlion1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 26 2007, 09:47 AM) [snapback]372311[/snapback]
You think his win over Gatti was really that good?

Well if your going to make a list of the top Welters and not put DLH's name up there thats kind of unfair. Even though its been a little while since he has been at Welter I do think (even at this age) his talent is better than most. He gave PBF a good enough fight, even though it was at 154 I dont think it would've made a difference. He is more talented than a PW in my veiw, and would clean the ring with a Margarito,Cintron, or Clottey! Any of those guys could've beatin Gatti so Im not judging him on that fight. He is one of the greatest fighters of all time, and though not what he once was still has alot left IMO.
streetlion1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 26 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]372413[/snapback]
LOL Fitz I was thinking along the same lines as you. How can you rank a guy at a weight that he arguably can't even make. That would be like ranking Winky at 154 right now.

Im just taking DLH's word for it...if he says he is at 147 now than he is.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Dec 26 2007, 11:34 PM) [snapback]372419[/snapback]
Well if your going to make a list of the top Welters and not put DLH's name up there thats kind of unfair. Even though its been a little while since he has been at Welter I do think (even at this age) his talent is better than most.

Dude you've got to be kidding me. DLH's last fight at welter was some 7 years ago against Gatti. His last MEANINGFUL win at welter was some 9 years ago against Quartey.

You cannot rank a guy in a division when he has not fought in it in 7 years. End of story - this is not arguable.

Do you have Manny Pacquiao ranked at 122?

Do you have Mayweather ranked at 130?

Unbelieveable.

streetlion1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 26 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]372425[/snapback]
Dude you've got to be kidding me. DLH's last fight at welter was some 7 years ago against Gatti. His last MEANINGFUL win at welter was some 9 years ago against Quartey.

You cannot rank a guy in a division when he has not fought in it in 7 years. End of story - this is not arguable.

Do you have Manny Pacquiao ranked at 122?

Do you have Mayweather ranked at 130?

Unbelieveable.

Thats besides the point. The guy everyone has at the top hasnt beatin anyone of real substance in the division either! Also DLH had a very good fight against the so-called "king of the division"! He is back at welterweight now. Give the man some credit. activity is one thing, but you act as if he isnt as good as over half those guys.
salvador
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Dec 27 2007, 12:18 AM) [snapback]372408[/snapback]
The Johnson fight was pathetic. Margarito's sorry ass and his camp wanted to look good with a KO. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Tony's fought Clottey and Williams in the last year and did everything he could to get Floyd and Mosley in the ring. Who at ww, other than Cotto, has fought tougher competition in the past year? (And I would take Williams over both Mosley and Judah all day and Clottey over Judah as well, so for my money, Marg's level of competition is the very highest at ww, but that's a side issue.)

I'm sure that they took the tune up fight to make Tony look good, but also because guys like Judah, Mosley and Floyd wanted nothing to do with him. What's he supposed to do, not fight?

The people who should be ashamed of themselves are the guys who claim to be champions but refuse to fight the top guys. And, since you're so passionate about it, why don't you tell me which of the big names at ww would EVER consider getting in the ring with Williams? Cause I assure you that Floyd and Cotto ain't on that list.
Douchebag
I am convinced that Cotto would fight a rabid bear if Bob Arum told him to. LOL
JD
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 27 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]372447[/snapback]
I am convinced that Cotto would fight a rabid bear if Bob Arum told him to. LOL

And I am convinced that you would pick Cotto to knock out the aforementioned rabid bear. laugh.gif
Douchebag
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 27 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]372448[/snapback]
And I am convinced that you would pick Cotto to knock out the aforementioned rabid bear. laugh.gif

Only if the fight takes place at WW.
JD
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Dec 27 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]372454[/snapback]
Only if the fight takes place at WW.

LOL...

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(salvador @ Dec 27 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]372444[/snapback]
The people who should be ashamed of themselves are the guys who claim to be champions but refuse to fight the top guys. And, since you're so passionate about it, why don't you tell me which of the big names at ww would EVER consider getting in the ring with Williams? Cause I assure you that Floyd and Cotto ain't on that list.

Actually I think when the dust settles at ww in a year or so, after Oscar and Shane and Floyd have moved on and Williams has notched another impressive win or two, we'll see him and Cotto in the ring, assuming they're the two left standing on top.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Dec 27 2007, 12:05 AM) [snapback]372428[/snapback]
Thats besides the point. The guy everyone has at the top hasnt beatin anyone of real substance in the division either! Also DLH had a very good fight against the so-called "king of the division"! He is back at welterweight now. Give the man some credit. activity is one thing, but you act as if he isnt as good as over half those guys.

I give Oscar credit for giving Mayweather a good fight, AT 154 POUNDS. You can't rank Oscar at 147 for his close LOSS at 154. You "take DLH's word for it" that he is 147 but until he steps in the ring at 147 one has to question whether or not he can even make that weight. If you have to question whether or not a guy can make weight for a division it is meaningless to rank him there, especially when he has not fought there in 7 years.

Sure Mayweather has not faced and beaten Cotto, Williams or Margarito, the other top 3 guys in the division, but he has beaten solid guys and most importantly is undefeated... not only at 147 but undefeated period. DLH is 2-3 in his last 5 fights, none of which were at 147 but you think he can be ranked at 147. Unreal.

salvador
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 27 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]372459[/snapback]
Actually I think when the dust settles at ww in a year or so, after Oscar and Shane and Floyd have moved on and Williams has notched another impressive win or two, we'll see him and Cotto in the ring, assuming they're the two left standing on top.

I'd love to see it, but it's just impossible for me to imagine Arum putting his 5'7" moneymaker in with Williams. It would be a really dumb move, particularly if everyone else avoids Williams and Williams never gets to prove himself (though I think beating Margarito is all the proving he'll ever need to do for the managers of the top fighters to know exactly who PW is.)
streetlion1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 27 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]372469[/snapback]
I give Oscar credit for giving Mayweather a good fight, AT 154 POUNDS. You can't rank Oscar at 147 for his close LOSS at 154. You "take DLH's word for it" that he is 147 but until he steps in the ring at 147 one has to question whether or not he can even make that weight. If you have to question whether or not a guy can make weight for a division it is meaningless to rank him there, especially when he has not fought there in 7 years.

Sure Mayweather has not faced and beaten Cotto, Williams or Margarito, the other top 3 guys in the division, but he has beaten solid guys and most importantly is undefeated... not only at 147 but undefeated period. DLH is 2-3 in his last 5 fights, none of which were at 147 but you think he can be ranked at 147. Unreal.

There isnt anything that "unreal" about it. I see the point in what your saying but, 7 pounds isnt that much! your talking about not only one of the greatest welters, but one of the greatest fighters of all-time period. I think he is pro enough to drop 7 pounds. Whether he can make the weight or not isnt really what im worried about, its purely speculation. Are you saying if B-hop moved back down to middleweight you wouldnt rank him either? I wont put him ahead of Mosley, Cotto, or PBF but, those other guys....in a minute. Whoever he chooses to fight in this division is gonna have one helluva fight on their hands!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 26 2007, 11:25 PM) [snapback]372411[/snapback]
Nope, disagree with you completely. How can you have Mosley at #3 when his ONLY WIN AT WELTER worth mentioning is over your #9? LOL.

Williams and Margarito have beaten higher ranked fighters so they are ranked accordingly (higher). Just because you think Mosley would beat them in a head to head matchup means nothing because ranks at a specific weight class are based on who a fighter has beaten at THAT weight. Justify for me how Mosley beating Collazo (#9 by your own admission) makes him the #3 welter in the world. I'd love to hear it.

Because Mosley lost a very close decision to Cotto which could have went either way, and also DOMINATING Collazo. Cotto's competition is WAY better than who Williams and Margarito have been fighting. Margarito just lost to PW and then TKO'd a totally shot Golden Johnson. And before that he was getting his ass handed to him by Clottey, before Clottey hurt his hand or he would have lost that fight too. Oh, and before that he fought the dangerous Max Gomez(10 Losses). You sure are right, Margaritos competition is real good!!! No way do I rank him higher than Shane. As for Williams, who the hell has he beat besides Margarito??????? NOBODY! And the Margarito fight was close. Until Paul gets some quality wins under his belt, he is unproven in my eyes.

"ranks at a specific weight class are based on a fighter has beaten at THAT weight", this is your quote. If Floyd moves down to Jr. Welterweight, I would rank him NO. 1 on my list at that weight class. It would not matter if he did not fight anyone there, because everyone knows who would be the best in that class. That was just my unbiased list where I thought they belonged at this point in time. It is okay to disagree with me, it is kind of funny though you were the ONLY on laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.