Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nemesis 79: Matt Hughes vs. Georges St-Pierre Postfight
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
This is a post fight reactions thread for the Matt Hughes vs. Georges St-Pierre PPV fight tomorrow (Saturday) night and its undercards. Discuss the bouts here

Jack

Administrator
BigG
I'm watching this and Chuck is pathetic.

Wanderlei looks about totaly shot.

I cannot believe Chuck is considered a top fighter. The guys sucks

But he at least won round 1. Wanderlei looks slow and old and might get stopped. He's got little to no defense.
BigG
LOL I give round 2 to old Wanderlei. He knocked CHuck down. Chuck finished stronger and Wand is cut bad.
cunxtime
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 29 2007, 11:51 PM) [snapback]372810[/snapback]
LOL I give round 2 to old Wanderlei. He knocked CHuck down. Chuck finished stronger and Wand is cut bad.

Is the fight over?
BigG
Chuck should win a UD.
BigG
And Chuck wins a UD.
Michigan Assassin
I'm sorry I thought for sure I was watching a Lampley called Roy Jones fight. The annoucers were all over Liddell's balls. It was sick.

I agress Lidell wone 2-1 but Silva made the fight. Chuck, after his initial flurry in the 3rd round, was as hell.

Silva has a fucking chin like a mother-fucker. Great fight. Rematch? Hell yes!!!
Michigan Assassin
I was thinking when this was signed: I wish this was 5 rounds (in case the early KO doesn't come)

Whoo hoo Mandy Moore, haha.
BigG
Wandy would have been stopped because had nothing left....the guy is absolutely shot IMO. Wand looked really REALLY slow...its time for him to retire. And Chuck is garbage man. Rampage would have had this Wanderlei out in the first round.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 30 2007, 12:05 AM) [snapback]372818[/snapback]
Wandy would have been stopped because had nothing left....the guy is absolutely shot IMO. And Chuck is garbage man. Rampage would have had this Wanderlei out in the first round.

Would have been stopped what?!?!?!

He was right there for Chuck to close the show, but instead he decided to back peddle and take Silva down for a weak end to the fight.

Silva and Liddell put a hell of a show I just with Chuck would have gone to the end looking to stop Silva.
BigG
Wanderlei was DONE dude....I dont even think his corner would have let him out. Chuck was tired but Wanderlei was bloodied up and even more tired. The only thing that kept Wanderlei in the fight was pure heart and will. The Wanderlei of this Chuck fight was not the Wanderlei of 6 years ago in Pride.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 30 2007, 12:13 AM) [snapback]372820[/snapback]
Wanderlei was DONE dude....I dont even think his corner would have let him out. Chuck was tired but Wanderlei was bloodied up and even more tired. The only thing that kept Wanderlei in the fight was pure heart and will.

Of course he was done. Except Chuck was too fucking spent to finish him. I saw the fucking fight I know what's what and I also know that saying he would've been stopped doesn't making any sense when in fact he wasn't.
BigG
I dont know, I just think Chuck despite looking at the clock to see how much time was left and being spent had more....probably would've took Wand down the next round and tried to ground and pound his way to a win if this was 5. Anyway, it wasn't and Wand surivived and Chuck still sucks.

Anyway, this Hughes-GSP should be good.

I liked the first fight between those 2 vets...lol...alot of bad blood.
Michigan Assassin
Yeah this fight should be good. Pierre is looking confident so far but Hughes looks very comfortable too.
Michigan Assassin
Nice round for Pierre. Ho looked in control. Hughtes isn't looking as confident now between rounds.
BigG
I give that round to St. Pierre...Looks like he's too much of a beast for Hughes so far.
BigG
Hughes just cant take him down. St. Pierre physcially is strong as hell.
Michigan Assassin
Tough round for the first 3 minutes, but Pierre has turned up the intensity now. He is really controlling this fight for the most part.

Hughes takes Pierre's leg in the last minute but is unablt to take Pierre down. In fact, George turns it on him and takes him down.

HUGHES TAPS OUT. WOW!!!!
BigG
And thats it. St. Pierre submits Hughes in round 2.
Michigan Assassin
Good fight but George pretty much controlled all the action. I think if he fights like this, he may give alot of problems for Sera.
Michigan Assassin
biggeorge89 didn't it look like St. Pierre was dominating Hughes physically? He pretty much controlled the fight and as you said Hughes could not take St. Pierre down to save his life. Great performance from St. Pierre.
BigG
Yup...Hughes is a pretty strong guy and he was able to take guys down on pure strenght...but physcially he had nothing on this St. Pierre...he could not take him down.

Hughes sounded like a guy who had his mind set on retiring in the interview with Joe Rogan. He's had a pretty good career.
Michigan Assassin
This 'walk-out' fight should be pretty fun too.

And I just thought I'd mention the great game tonight between the Pats - Giants. I appreciated the Giants playing their starters and going for the W, but they just didn't have enough.

Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 30 2007, 12:40 AM) [snapback]372832[/snapback]
Hughes sounded like a guy who had his mind set on retiring in the interview with Joe Rogan. He's had a pretty good career.

Yeah I was surprised to hear that stance from Hughes as well. He did have a hell of a career if this is the last we hear from Hughes. He was a hell of a grappler.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(Michigan Assassin @ Dec 30 2007, 12:41 AM) [snapback]372833[/snapback]
This 'walk-out' fight should be pretty fun too.

I was hoping this fight would go longer, I didn't quite finish the 12 pack. Oh well, nice card all and all. Nice way to end the year. A great year for my first love boxing as well as the MMA. (Which is a damn good way to spend a Saturday night as well)
BigG
Liddell should take on Forrest Griffin who's coming off a big win.

Can't see anyone beating Rampage right now though.

And St. Pierre is a beast.
BrutalBodyShots
Solid win for St. Pierre... his game is getting better and better overall.

Screw Chuck Liddell. I'm tired of him... beer gut and all. If you've got a hurt man in front of you and you've only fought 2.5 rounds (and they weren't even extremely hard fought) and you are more concerned with looking at the clock than finishing your opponent it's time to hang them up. What if this were a 5 round championship fight? Chuck's time is over. Obviously Sliva's is as well.

The CEO
I agree about Liddell...been done with him a long time now...it sucks he has Silva as a notch.

Very happy to see that St. Pierre won.

Man Hughes must be hating Life right about now...laugh.gif...he's been pounded out AND subbed by him now.
pastor method
st. pierre should beat serra easily in the rematch... 9 times out of 10 st. pierre wins that fight.

as far as chuck fighting rampage again... i think chuck should retire. even though it was wanderlei who looked like the old man in there, chuck is 38 and has had a lot of fights by mma standards, i think this is a great victory for him to retire on. but he won't; such is the mentality of a fighter-- you don't want to go out on a loss but you can't go out on a win because you'll always think you can keep winning.
pcraw
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 30 2007, 01:05 AM) [snapback]372818[/snapback]
Wandy would have been stopped because had nothing left....the guy is absolutely shot IMO. Wand looked really REALLY slow...its time for him to retire. And Chuck is garbage man. Rampage would have had this Wanderlei out in the first round.

Why is Chuck garbage? He's older than Wandy and outlasted him.
BrutalBodyShots
I consider Chuck garbage because he's past his prime, sports his beer gut every fight out and was beaten by the Dean Of Sardines. Most recently he was more concerned with looking a the amount of time left in the fight than fighting... looking up at the clock constantly after 2.5 rounds of uneventful action.

AussieLad
The jardine fight was close, and could have gone either way, although i scored it for keith. jardine was being hailed as a real top contender before the houston loss, so i dont think its such a big thing chuck having lost to jardine. Sure the dean lost badly to houston, but he walked into that fight completely over confident against an unknown opponent, and had dropped houston before charging in for the kill recklessly, he got nailed for it. He wont make that mistake again, and i think he beats houston 2nd time around.

Chuck is a great fighter, but his championship days are behind him

As for rampage, he's fighting forrest griffin next. This is going to be an exciting fight.

Hughes needs to hang up the gloves, he can beat most guys, and i think he beats serra, but GSP is too young and too good

I aplogise on behalf of australia for the terrible heavyweight fight our maori guy put on. The hulk? He should be nicknamed the sulk, or the skulk, because he shouldve skulked out of the country after that horrendous performance
Warlord
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 30 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]372837[/snapback]
Liddell should take on Forrest Griffin who's coming off a big win.

Can't see anyone beating Rampage right now though.

And St. Pierre is a beast.

Rampage has improved his game dramatically since his days in Pride, most notably in his standup. That being said, he still holds some brutal losses at the hands of Wanderlei Silva and Shogun Rua. Neither of those fighters is what they once were, so it will definitley be interesting to see how Quinton matches up with those guys now, especially under UFC rules.

As for Chuck Liddell, he's pushing 40 and competing in a weight-class loaded with talent. I think his days at the top are done, but there are probably still some more interesting match-ups we could see out of him, namely a rematch with Wanderlei Silva. After that, I wouldn't mind seeing him in there with guys like Dan Henderson, Shogun Rua, Lyoto Machida, or any of the other 205lbers looking to climb the rankings. Knowing Dana White's dumb ass though, Chuck will probably be rematching Rampage after the Griffin fight, since Rampage's 2nd win over Chuck was a "Douglas-Tyson" outcome, in Dana's words.
BigG
I love Silva man...always have. He is pure heart & will...and he always gave some pretty bad ass straredowns. thumbsup_anim.gif and he does hold some pretty brutal losses, bu he looked like a shell against Liddell. Rampage would destroy him now.

I think Dan Henderson, Shogun Rua would beat Chuck right now.

But Chuck beats Silva....Silva is done.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jan 5 2008, 02:39 AM) [snapback]373473[/snapback]
The jardine fight was close, and could have gone either way, although i scored it for keith.

I didn't think it was close at all. I watched that fight with ALL Chuck fans and all knew he had lost before the decision was announced.

AussieLad
its a shame we wont get to see serra vs hughes, two guys that dont like each other one bit going at it
AussieLad
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 5 2008, 05:29 PM) [snapback]373488[/snapback]
I didn't think it was close at all. I watched that fight with ALL Chuck fans and all knew he had lost before the decision was announced.

Gave the first round to chuck, although it was close. 2nd round went to jardine because he outworked chuck with the leg kicks. Both guys tasted canvas in that round, jardines was the better shot though. Jardine went down, partial slip, but he wouldnt have gone down and wouldnt have slipped in the first place if it wasnt for the overhand strike chuck landed.

That wasnt a one sided fight IMO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.