Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Was the Best Year For Boxing and Why?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
We all know that 2007 was a great year for boxing. But among boxing history, what year had the best boxing matches and why? My vote is 1982: During that year, we witnessed these historic and great matches:

Holmes-Cooney
Sanchez-Nelson
Pryor-Arguello I
Gomez-Pintor

They were memorable for historic reasons and/or action inside the ring. Holmes-Cooney, not as good inside the ring perhaps, but it had huge historical impact.

Jack

Big Slim Sweet
Well, in my lifetime I'd say 1999 was a very big year for boxing, because suddenly the top fighters all began to fight each other after years of beating around the bush. The welterweight division had been crying for big fights for years, and in 99 we finally got Oscar-Ike, Tito-Pea and of course Oscar-Tito. Plus heavyweight unification with Lennox-Holyfield. Unfortunately, the horrid controversial decision of their first fight wound up being the big story, plus Oscar-Tito absolutely sucked shit. But still, it set the tone for the future. Might be tough to remember now, but much of the 90's was actually marked by the big, talked about fights that didn't happen. So 1999 was pretty significant in that regard.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 31 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]373025[/snapback]
We all know that 2007 was a great year for boxing. But among boxing history, what year had the best boxing matches and why? My vote is 1982: During that year, we witnessed these historic and great matches:
Holmes-Cooney
Sanchez-Nelson
Pryor-Arguello I
Gomez-Pintor

They were memorable for historic reasons and/or action inside the ring. Holmes-Cooney, not as good inside the ring perhaps, but it had huge historical impact.

Jack

I would have to agree with you on 82'

Gomez vs Pintor was an all time classic.

We had good fights this year but many of them were also let downs. The Marquez/Vasquez bouts had to be the best fights of the year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.