Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: P4P Lists?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
Its that time again

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr: Proved it against Hatton. Without a doubt, the best fighter in the world today. Let's just hope he fights Miguel Cotto or Paul Williams this year. His defense is beautiful to watch.The best without a doubt.

2. Bernard Hopkins: Beat Winky Wright worse than anyone did. I agree that the weight possibly affected Wright...but still, Wright is a P4Per skillwise and Hopkins beat him up. If he beats Calzaghe, he might just be the best fighter of his era.

3. Manny Pacquiao: Pacquiao beat Barrera and Morales. He deserves to be here. I think he might lose his next fight though.

4. Joe Calzaghe: Hell of a fighter. Proved himself vs. Kessler. But he will struggle BADLY when he steps in with the Executioner.

5. Miguel Cotto: Beat Judah worse than Floyd did. Much worse....Beat the great Shane. Yeah Shane is 36...but IMO he isn't far past his prime. In fact, Shane looked GREAT against Collazo and Vargas and alot of people felt he could beat Cotto. Shane is one of those guys that keeps himself in great shape. He doesn't blow up between fights and he's also a gym rat. Cotto won that 116-113 IMO. Cotto has been tearing through everyone.

6. Juan Manuel Marquez: Getting up there in age but still one of the best boxers in the world today. I expect him to give the Pacman hell once again.

7. Winky Wright: Winky needs to move down to 160 where he can rule EASY. I cant see Abraham beating him a that weight. And with Pavlik moving up...it leaves it wide open. No shame in losing to Hopkins because BHOP at age 43 is still a tough fight for anyone. He still dominated Tito and Mosley...and he probably should have got the decision against Jermain.

8. Shane Mosley: No shame in losing to the beast of the division. Mosley is still good enough to beat most guys at and around his weight.

9. Juan Diaz: Stopped Freitas and Julio Diaz last year. Good skills, great to watch, undefeated...I hope he fights and whoops up DAVID Diaz and picks up his WBC title. Baby Bull-Pacman would be great.

10. Israel Vazquez: Avenged the loss to Marquez. Tough guy with alot of heart. Was getting beat up vs. Gonzalez before pulling out a late TKO.

11. Kelly Pavlik: Had a great year last year. Knocked Taylor out. He deserves a spot in the top 15 because of that.

12. Ivan Calderon: The lil man got skills for sure. His win over Cazares was HUGE! Cazares is a top fighter in the lower weights.

The rest: Ricky Hatton, Cristian Mijares, Cory Spinks, Fernando Montiel, Chad Dawson, Zab Judah, Rafael Marquez.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 4 2008, 05:17 AM) [snapback]373377[/snapback]
Its that time again

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr: Proved it against Hatton. Without a doubt, the best fighter in the world today. Let's just hope he fights Miguel Cotto or Paul Williams this year. His defense is beautiful to watch.The best without a doubt.

2. Bernard Hopkins: Beat Winky Wright worse than anyone did. I agree that the weight possibly affected Wright...but still, Wright is a P4Per skillwise and Hopkins beat him up. If he beats Calzaghe, he might just be the best fighter of his era.

3. Manny Pacquiao: Pacquiao beat Barrera and Morales. He deserves to be here. I think he might lose his next fight though.

4. Joe Calzaghe: Hell of a fighter. Proved himself vs. Kessler. But he will struggle BADLY when he steps in with the Executioner.

5. Miguel Cotto: Beat Judah worse than Floyd did. Much worse....Beat the great Shane. Yeah Shane is 36...but IMO he isn't far past his prime. In fact, Shane looked GREAT against Collazo and Vargas and alot of people felt he could beat Cotto. Shane is one of those guys that keeps himself in great shape. He doesn't blow up between fights and he's also a gym rat. Cotto won that 116-113 IMO. Cotto has been tearing through everyone.

6. Juan Manuel Marquez: Getting up there in age but still one of the best boxers in the world today. I expect him to give the Pacman hell once again.

7. Winky Wright: Winky needs to move down to 160 where he can rule EASY. I cant see Abraham beating him a that weight. And with Pavlik moving up...it leaves it wide open. No shame in losing to Hopkins because BHOP at age 43 is still a tough fight for anyone. He still dominated Tito and Mosley...and he probably should have got the decision against Jermain.

8. Shane Mosley: No shame in losing to the beast of the division. Mosley is still good enough to beat most guys at and around his weight.

9. Juan Diaz: Stopped Freitas and Julio Diaz last year. Good skills, great to watch, undefeated...I hope he fights and whoops up DAVID Diaz and picks up his WBC title. Baby Bull-Pacman would be great.

10. Israel Vazquez: Avenged the loss to Marquez. Tough guy with alot of heart. Was getting beat up vs. Gonzalez before pulling out a late TKO.

11. Kelly Pavlik: Had a great year last year. Knocked Taylor out. He deserves a spot in the top 15 because of that.

12. Ivan Calderon: The lil man got skills for sure. His win over Cazares was HUGE! Cazares is a top fighter in the lower weights.

The rest: Ricky Hatton, Cristian Mijares, Cory Spinks, Fernando Montiel, Chad Dawson, Zab Judah

where's Chris John? dntknw.gif
BigG
I've never seen him fight so I wont rate him.
Blayde
Shit... Does there have to be such a big quote?

I only have a top 3

1. Mayweather
2. Pacquiao
3. Calzaghe

After these 3 its just too close and there are too many question marks behind the fighters. Even with Mayweather and Pacquiao Im not THAT sure. Honestly Floyd can only be my number 1 if I rank them because of their natural size. The welterweight Floyd has not proven enough so much and I wouldnt see him winning against Williams plus having a very hard time against some other welterweights. And Pacquiao needs to get in with a fighter like Marquez or Guzman now. Is Pacman-Marquez II on?
But number 3 Joe Calzaghe gets his 3rd place without a doubt. IMO he will beat Hopkins for sure.
BrutalBodyShots
Good list George, the only thing I disagree with really is having Mosley on there.

I personally only rank a guy P4P wise based on his accomplishments (wins) of the last 3-4 years or so, giving the most weight to the most recent work.

Based on that, during that time span all Mosley has done is beat Collazo who while a top 10 guy isn't near P4P material and an incredibly shot Vargas. I give him next to zero credit for the Vargas wins... Vargas CERTAINLY wasn't in anyones top 100 P4P. Aside from that the only things to note are losses to Cotto and Wright, even though he was competitive. So for me, Mosley gets ranked basically only off of his win over Collazo, and I don't see that putting him in the top 10 P4P.

xxxxxx
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 4 2008, 07:50 AM) [snapback]373382[/snapback]
I've never seen him fight so I wont rate him.

neither have I..lol I just know he beat Marquez, a guy in your top 10.
D-MARV
QUOTE(xxxxxx @ Jan 4 2008, 05:17 PM) [snapback]373436[/snapback]
neither have I..lol I just know he beat Marquez, a guy in your top 10.

Didnt see the whole fight, But from what Ive heard, that was a very bad decision!!!!
Southeastpaw
Mayweather
JMM
Pac
Cotto
Calzaghe (as much as I hate even having him on here)

I was thinking of putting Calzaghe up @ #4 instead of Cotto, but he still has not beat an elite fighter. Kessler is his best win, but was he elite, and if so why?

After these five though, I cannot decide really.
Blayde
Question is what could Kessler have done or do now to show if he is/was an elite fighter?

The facts are he was an absolutely dominant champion at 168 and he beat a very good fighter in Mundine. He also pounded a one dimensional, but dangerous fighter and big prospect back then/contender now Andrade and he took care easily of Beyer. Ok, I cant deny Beyer wasnt the best world champion weve ever seen... No doubt about it, this is not a great resume and doesnt prove you as an elite fighter. But Kessler did everything he could do. He dominated his opponents and looked almost unbeatable.

So ok then, then he finally was involved in a big fight against Calzaghe. He lost and he lost clearly but I think as much as we got to see that hes not as good as Calzaghe, IMO by how competitive he was we saw that hes an elite fighter. At least in my eyes, another question is what exactly is an elite fighter? There have to be more than 20 elite fighters on this planet!?

I must say that 168 is getting pretty good right now. Bute has already stepped up and is a world champion, Miranda has moved up and there are some other prospects who should finally fight other contenders and each other in 2008 and 2009. IMO by dominating the division again Kessler will prove that he can or should be considered as an elite fighter.

The problem I have with Cotto is that I believe you have to rank Mosley has high as Big G does to rank Cotto as high as a lot of people do. Mosley is still a great fighter, no doubt, and no one saw him beating Cotto, but it was a very close fight, Cotto had his problems and I for example had the fight a draw.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Blayde @ Jan 6 2008, 12:06 PM) [snapback]373718[/snapback]
Question is what could Kessler have done or do now to show if he is/was an elite fighter?

The facts are he was an absolutely dominant champion at 168 and he beat a very good fighter in Mundine. He also pounded a one dimensional, but dangerous fighter and big prospect back then/contender now Andrade and he took care easily of Beyer. Ok, I cant deny Beyer wasnt the best world champion weve ever seen... No doubt about it, this is not a great resume and doesnt prove you as an elite fighter. But Kessler did everything he could do. He dominated his opponents and looked almost unbeatable.

So ok then, then he finally was involved in a big fight against Calzaghe. He lost and he lost clearly but I think as much as we got to see that hes not as good as Calzaghe, IMO by how competitive he was we saw that hes an elite fighter. At least in my eyes, another question is what exactly is an elite fighter? There have to be more than 20 elite fighters on this planet!?

I must say that 168 is getting pretty good right now. Bute has already stepped up and is a world champion, Miranda has moved up and there are some other prospects who should finally fight other contenders and each other in 2008 and 2009. IMO by dominating the division again Kessler will prove that he can or should be considered as an elite fighter.

The problem I have with Cotto is that I believe you have to rank Mosley has high as Big G does to rank Cotto as high as a lot of people do. Mosley is still a great fighter, no doubt, and no one saw him beating Cotto, but it was a very close fight, Cotto had his problems and I for example had the fight a draw.

All great points. And while Calzaghe has been a champ for some time now, his resume is not got a bunch of quality names on it. Who are the quality names? Lacy and Kessler. He did win those fights without a doubt, but I really like what Cotto has done on a P4P level. He has fought a very good amount of undefeated fighters. He has been expected to lose on many occasions. He has impressively avenged losses that he gotten from fighters from the amateurs. He is a two division champion. His resume is more decorated as far as I'm concerned and has won most of his bout very impressively. This is why I have him above Cal. Cal has never, until very recently, gone after the tough competition, which has hurt him for a long while.
durhamshardest
1. Floyd Mayweather.

2. Manny Pacquiao

3. Joe Calzaghe

4. Bernard Hopkins

5. Juan Diaz

6. Miguel Cotto

7. Juan Marquez

8. Ricky Hatton

9. Chris John

10. Celestin Caballero - most dodged boxer around
Southeastpaw
Wow! Caballero over the likes of Vasquez and Calderon.
The CEO
1. FLOYD MAYWEATHER

2. MANNY PACQUIAO

3. JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ

4. BERNARD HOPKINS

5. JOE CALZAGHE

--------------------------------> (Top 5 coincide with The Ring's huh.gif )

6. MIGUEL COTTO

7. ISRAEL VAZQUEZ

8. WINKY WRIGHT

9. RAFAEL MARQUEZ

10. WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO
Fitz
1. FLOYD MAYWEATHER

2. BERNARD HOPKINS

3. MANNY PACQUIAO

4. JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ

5. MIGUEL COTTO

6. JOE CALZAGHE

7. ISRAEL VAZQUEZ

8. WINKY WRIGHT

9. RAFAEL MARQUEZ

10. WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO

I don't mind that list CEO. I'm usually to lazy to make a list so basically I used your top 10 and adjusted it a little. I like the idea of Wlad sneaking in at 10. I think he goes under the radar as a good p4p fighter just because he is a heavyweight and the division sucks. But he is actually one of the top fighters in boxing today period IMO.
I could also see Hatton or a Juan Diaz hanging around the bottom half of the 10, whether you take some out, but overall there are some good fighters in the 10.

The CEO
I actually like your list better....it has Calzaghe at #6.

I was being civil...putting him at #5....laugh.gif
camador
1. Mayweather
2. Pacman
3. Calzaghe
4. JM Marquez
5. Cotto
6. Pavlik
7. I. Vazquez
8. Hopkins
9. Juan Diaz
10. Winky
Fitz
Pavlik at #6? Wow.
mexi-cutioner
1.Floyd Mayweather
2.Manny Pacquiao
3.Bernard Hopkins
4.Joe Calzaghe
5.JMM
6.Miguel Cotto
7.Israel Vasquez
8.Kelly Pavlik
9.Rafael Marquez
10.Ivan Calderon
*honorable mentions*Winky Wright,Chris John,Juan Diaz,Wlad Klitschko,Ricky Hatton
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.