Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Tito back?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Douchebag
How seriously would you take his third comeback if he can pur RJJ in impressive fashion?
PR316
I don't know. If he beats Roy, its because of what Roy isn't anymore moreso than what Tito has to offer now. If he beats Roy somehow, someway(Man I cannot see it), then I guess the winner of Hopkins and Calzaghe just MIGHT be interested. But if Tito had any brains, he'd move down to 160 and fight Oscar De La Hoya to settle once and for all who's the man between the two.
dbdbdb
Coming out of a looooong retirement to face RJJ isn't the greatest idea in the first place. Primarilly because RJJ has been more active of late and still has a pretty formidable skillset. {Which in comparison is above and beyond the skillset developed by most fighters in their careers.}

That being said, tito has little change of beating even a diminished RJJ. And he will again fade into the sunset unfulfilled. He IMHO, should have targetted DLH as an out-of-retirement fight. Such a fight would have been much more rewarding, much more profitable and more attainable as a goal.

Tito, sadly, isn't back. He's just peeking through the window long enough to have his ass handed to him by a diminished, but more than worthy opponent .......... RJJ.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 4 2008, 01:33 PM) [snapback]373413[/snapback]
But if Tito had any brains, he'd move down to 160 and fight Oscar De La Hoya to settle once and for all who's the man between the two.

Yep. I honestly don't know who's idea this was but if it were Trinidad's people who came up with this then they are deluding themselves. Why doesn't Trinidad just fight Jimmy Somebum as a tune up then lobby H A R D for the DLH rematch? Jones Trinidad does nowhere near what DLH Trinidad II does in terms of PPV subscriptions.
Method
No. He would not be back.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jan 4 2008, 01:54 PM) [snapback]373418[/snapback]
Yep. I honestly don't know who's idea this was but if it were Trinidad's people who came up with this then they are deluding themselves. Why doesn't Trinidad just fight Jimmy Somebum as a tune up then lobby H A R D for the DLH rematch? Jones Trinidad does nowhere near what DLH Trinidad II does in terms of PPV subscriptions.

The DLH fight was nixed a while ago...Tito won't fight lower than 160 and Oscar won't fight above 154....They both have said this many times.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 4 2008, 01:33 PM) [snapback]373413[/snapback]
I don't know. If he beats Roy, its because of what Roy isn't anymore moreso than what Tito has to offer now. If he beats Roy somehow, someway(Man I cannot see it), then I guess the winner of Hopkins and Calzaghe just MIGHT be interested. But if Tito had any brains, he'd move down to 160 and fight Oscar De La Hoya to settle once and for all who's the man between the two.

I think the winner of Calzaghe Hopkins will DEFINITELY be interested. Hopkins has an axe to grind and its a great name on Calzaghe's resume, something he really lacks big time. Not to mention that ALL THREE of these guys said they're really only interested fighting older fighters at this point.

On another note...STRICTLY based on the truism that styles make fights I think RJ is the only fighter in the world with a shot at beating Calzaghe. I'm not saying Roy is a pound for pounder or anything like that, but even with his skills slightly erroding and his confidence apparently gone I still think he has the best chance. The guy that beats Calzaghe will have to be someone who can match his athleticism yet be skilled enough to set complicated traps and most of all "sharpshoot" so to speak. What makes this even stranger is that I truely believe Calzaghe will beat Hopkins clearly. If Hopkins and Roy fought again, I believe Hopkins would win. In fact, if I had to rank all three guys according to their current quality, I'd put Roy on the bottom! But like I said, based on the clash of styles I would give Roy a helluva shot against Calzaghe.
rusty_trombone
Back? Hahahahaha
BigG
People forget just how bad Tito looked vs. Winky...I dont think Tito has a chance. Jones by KO in round 6.
BrutalBodyShots
Trinidad's ONLY shot is to catch Jones with one punch, and there's maybe a 1% chance of that happening. Landing 1 punch doesn't mean a fighter is "back" when he'll be losing every round until then. If Trinidad could somehow outpoint Jones I would be impressed as shit, but that isn't happening.

The Original MrFactor
My guess is that Tito retires again after this bout. I think Jones Ko's him. I dont see any way that Tito can win. I dont think this was a smart bout for tito to take after his retirement. I think he at least stood a chance, if he tried his luck against DLH... he'd be BACk if he fought and beat DLH, in most people's eyes...
rusty_trombone
Tito can't pull himself away from the snack bar at the hotel, let alone be "back"
Southeastpaw
Is Tito back?, If he beats RJJ.

Yes. The same way he was back after he beat Mayorga, except more diminished.
TheWhiteBuffalo
Mark my words.....this fight will be a major snoozer.

The only excitement is that Golota is on the card.
BrutalBodyShots
I think if Jones came out and fought Trinidad like he did Griffen II he could get a very early stoppage. I expect Jones to be a bit more cautious however and the fight will extend about half way before the stoppage comes.

kidbazooka1
If Tito beats Jones and thats a big "IF" I think the media will label him as being back but I don't give Tito a chance agianst any of the top 165/175lb in the game today. His time has come and gone he'll never be the force he once was.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(TheWhiteBuffalo @ Jan 5 2008, 11:44 AM) [snapback]373483[/snapback]
The only excitement is that Golota is on the card.

LOL
AussieLad
Even if tito beat rjj, calzaghe or hopkins should be slapped if they even consider using a contract against tito to wipe their own ass
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Just read that Roy is having a hard time making the weight. That could take a lot out of him come fight night. I remember the first Tarver fight when Roy ran out of energy and almost got beat. Tito is coming to fight, and in the late rounds he's gonna put a lot of pressure on Roy. I expect Jones to win, but Tito winning is not out of the question.
Kyle
PrfPmp
As is the general consensus, I think Roy is gonna potshot Tito all night and stay away from exchanges, possibly stopping him at some point. If Tito does pull out what would be one of the top victories of his career (faded or not Jones aint no Mayorga), a fight with Oscar should be the ONLY fight he should look for if they could meet at a catchweight.
That fight would be monumental in terms of main stream attention and revenue
iron_mike
I think it's gonna go the distance, only because Roy is gonna jab, jab dance through most of the fight until he maybe engages toe to toe in the 7th or 8th when Tito starts tiring. I think Tito will be as clueless as he was vs Winky
Kijis Konar
Tito WON'T beat Roy. He's got no chance.
Yucayeke2
I agree that he has no chance of beating Roy, no matter how faded and deteriorated RJJ is
PR316
This will be sad to see. And this is coming from a guy who likes Roy Jones. Tito is just gonna get hammered. I think he'll get an even worse beating than he got against Hopkins only he'll get knocked out within 8 rounds. I'm still wondering if I should even watch this.
imperial
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 8 2008, 05:50 PM) [snapback]374030[/snapback]
This will be sad to see. And this is coming from a guy who likes Roy Jones. Tito is just gonna get hammered. I think he'll get an even worse beating than he got against Hopkins only he'll get knocked out within 8 rounds. I'm still wondering if I should even watch this.

You know u want to turn away but can't help but look you sick bastard ! taunt.gif
PR316
I'll probably end up watching it for the hell of it. But its gonna be ugly. I can sense it.
Method
OH how the mighty have fallen.

I mean, who the fuck is in charge of match making at Team Tito? They should be suspended w/o pay.
PR316
The two Dons, King and Trinidad Sr themselves I believe. Tito seems delusional enough to think he's better than Roy. I would think somebody would bring some sanity there but I guess not.
Method
Well, man....it would be better for boxing if Trinidad won.

To be honest, it would have been better for boxing if these two guys were not facing each other right now, but rather stringing together ~2 tune-up type fights or B caliber fights against other guys and then stepping it up to superfight type stuff. That would give us more compelling match ups.

Instead, one of these guys is gonna get beat, likely Trinidad, and what sucks is, he'll 'retire' again (hopefully not), and it sucks because there are some really good fights that he could make...and could win, while making a boatload of cash in the process.
PR316
Roy can still beat some guys in the 168-175 pound range I think.. At the end of the day, he's still pretty fast and despite his suspect chin in the last couple years, is still an elusive target and difficult to hit.

Tito not so sure. Maybe he could beat a Glen Johnson, Jeff Lacy, or an Anthony Hanshaw type of guy at this point. Can't see him beating the likes of Dawson, Hopkins, Calzaghe, Kessler, or Tarver.

Tito brings cash so that would be very good for boxing in that sense if he won. But I'm not so sure what a victory over him means for anybody nowadays.
Method
Roy can still beat some guys in the 168-175 pound range I think.. At the end of the day, he's still pretty fast and despite his suspect chin in the last couple years, is still an elusive target and difficult to hit.

Oh absolutely.

For the record, my comments about Trinidad and some big fights...I was speaking along the lines of middleweight. He should stay the fuck away from the young, hungry or elite at 175.
24 A BRICK
there's absolutely nothing I can think of that can make me think that Trinidad can beat Jones Jr...NOTHING! everything is stacked against Trinidad, years of ring inactivity, 170lb weight class and the opponent he's facing. Roy Jones Jr will not fight toe to toe in this fight. Roy will box from the start of the bell and this fight will go to the scorecards. only chance a KO can be witnessed is if Trinidad left hook can land on Jones Jr, and that will not happen because Jones Jr will be on his bike. at the end of the night the only thing that can be taken from this fight is how unbelievable a guy (Trinidad) can comeback from almost 3 years away from the sport and can be guaranteed a 14 million payday not including PPV bonus. Roy is making $10 million plus PPV bonus. my money stays on the table and not in Don Kings pocket.
Hatuey
The winner of the fight is back, period.
PR316
QUOTE(Method @ Jan 11 2008, 11:34 PM) [snapback]374392[/snapback]
Oh absolutely.

For the record, my comments about Trinidad and some big fights...I was speaking along the lines of middleweight. He should stay the fuck away from the young, hungry or elite at 175.

I guess Trinidad against the winner of Pavlik/Taylor at 160 would be a good fight. There's always De La Hoya too.
streetlion1
Back as in what? A win over RJJ at this point in his career would be an upset but wouldnt mean much as far as his future. Whether he moved down and fought again wouldnt matter to me because he would get destroyed by any other top name. Really I see RJJ with a easy K.O. and he'll be the one in another big-name fight later on..... hopefully against B-Hop so Bernard can whip that ass!
Fitz
QUOTE(24 A BRICK @ Jan 12 2008, 10:55 AM) [snapback]374395[/snapback]
there's absolutely nothing I can think of that can make me think that Trinidad can beat Jones Jr...NOTHING! everything is stacked against Trinidad, years of ring inactivity, 170lb weight class and the opponent he's facing. Roy Jones Jr will not fight toe to toe in this fight. Roy will box from the start of the bell and this fight will go to the scorecards. only chance a KO can be witnessed is if Trinidad left hook can land on Jones Jr, and that will not happen because Jones Jr will be on his bike. at the end of the night the only thing that can be taken from this fight is how unbelievable a guy (Trinidad) can comeback from almost 3 years away from the sport and can be guaranteed a 14 million payday not including PPV bonus. Roy is making $10 million plus PPV bonus. my money stays on the table and not in Don Kings pocket.

Is that really how much they are both making?
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 11 2008, 07:16 PM) [snapback]374399[/snapback]
I guess Trinidad against the winner of Pavlik/Taylor at 160 would be a good fight. There's always De La Hoya too.

It would be hilarious if Tito actually fought Taylor and knocked him out.
BigG
I think Taylor would stop Tito in about 3-5 rounds. Tito just looked SO bad against Winky....
Fitz
I actually wouldn't be that confident in picking Taylor over Tito. I actually think it's a winnable fight for Tito, and I will go as far to say that I think it would probably be a pick 'em fight.
JD
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 12 2008, 03:37 AM) [snapback]374462[/snapback]
I actually wouldn't be that confident in picking Taylor over Tito. I actually think it's a winnable fight for Tito, and I will go as far to say that I think it would probably be a pick 'em fight.

Before losing to Pavlik, I thought Tito should come back and fight JT. The way Taylor drops that right...Tito would be live.

The best fight of all of them is Pavlik - Trinidad in my opinion. I have Pavlik all day, but it would be fireworks.
BigG
Taylor to me is alot stronger and faster than Tito is at 160 and above....He might knock Tito's ass out if it's a brawl.
PR316
Taylor would beat him now I think. I would take a pre-Hopkins Tito against Taylor either via decision or late stoppage. But Tito would look better than he did against Winky here because I think he would actually be able to land some shots.
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 12 2008, 08:41 AM) [snapback]374477[/snapback]
Taylor to me is alot stronger and faster than Tito is at 160 and above....He might knock Tito's ass out if it's a brawl.

Yeah...I agree that he is faster and stronger. But technically, he has so many issues now, and he is not an accurate puncher at all...Tito is.

I am not saying I would take Tito, but I am saying that he would be live in there with the Post-Burns JT.
Method
at the end of the night the only thing that can be taken from this fight is how unbelievable a guy (Trinidad) can comeback from almost 3 years away from the sport and can be guaranteed a 14 million payday not including PPV bonus. Roy is making $10 million plus PPV bonus. my money stays on the table and not in Don Kings pocket.

Is there any way we can validate those figures? $24M Guaranteed, plus a % of the PPV buys? Im a huge fucking seller that those are the numbers. IF they are, someone is going to be taken to the cleaners here. How the fuck are they going to guarantee that type of money? There's no story to promote here. No way.
Fitz
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 13 2008, 12:41 AM) [snapback]374477[/snapback]
Taylor to me is alot stronger and faster than (insert name) is at 160 and above....

You could have used that exact sentence in multiple fights that Taylor has had including Hopkins and after Hopkins. Look where that got him.
BigG
I just think Tito's plodding style would make Taylor look GREAT. Tito might be too small for him.
Fitz
He was supposed to look great knocking out Spinks and Ouma as well. I don't think Tito wins the fight for certain and I think either can knock each other out. I have just lost a lot of faith in Taylor after him not disposing of Spinks or Ouma. Based on the other fights, it's also safe to assume that Tito will probably be backing Taylor up as well. Overall, I'm not confident in either. I truly believe that the fight is up for either to win.
BigG
Same here. I like Jermain and I was dissapointed with his performances against Ouma and Spinks. In fact, I thought Spinks could have easily got the decision. But Spinks and Tito are NOTHING a like. Spinks is a clever boxer with excellent defensive skills...Tito stalks his opponent. I think Tito pre-layoff might have had a chance...but I just thought he looked weak and past-it vs. Winky. Could see him just walking into Jermain's jab all night and getting hurt in the process
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.