Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: American Heavyweights?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
AussieLad
Who do you guys think are the best U.S heavyweights at the moment, and are there any young and promising up and comers on the horizon?
BigG
Eddie Chambers....Chazz Witherspoon....
D-MARV
Tony Thompson is the best american Heavyweight right now! Someone please get this man a title shot! I dont know how he was bypassed for Evander Holyfield! I like Eddie Chambers but I think he is going to get beat bad by Povetkin. Kevin Johnson is a pretty decent looking Heavyweight and he talks like Ali or James Toney which is always fun, but he lacks that KO power. I Like Jonathan Banks! even though he is a crusierweight, I think he will move up to heavyweight eventually because thats where the money is! Also, he trains and spars will Wladimir all the time, so He can handle the big boys!
Mixnutz
I thik Eddie Chambers so far is the best young prospect we have out. Tony Thompson is also a very good contender that can make some noise in the division. I like Chris Arreola too, though he needs to work on defense and conditioning to truly make that leap.

Let's not write off Calvin Brock just yet...
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Mixnutz @ Jan 6 2008, 11:41 AM) [snapback]373712[/snapback]
Let's not write off Calvin Brock just yet...

lol why not?

Blayde
I like Thompson. When we didnt know about Ibragimov going to make unification fights and it looked like Ibragimov-Thompson was next, I thought Thompson would have a nice chance to become champion. Hes definitely top 15, maybe even top 10 IMO.

Thats better than what I consider the likes of Chambers, Brock, Johnson and Witherspoon.
Mixnutz
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 6 2008, 10:47 AM) [snapback]373713[/snapback]
lol why not?

LOL, Yeah he has looked gargabe in his last couple of outings but he has the tools to make some noise (albeit not very loud noise) in today's weak heavyweight divison.

That being said, there is no way Brock becomes the anything other than a title holder.
The Original MrFactor
All of these American prospects are smallish guys under 225lbs. They are not big enuff to win against Wlad. Wlad is the pace setter for the division. NONE of the American guys will last more than 4 rounds against him, so... they dont matter...
SpitShineTommy
BABY JOE MESI !!!

still UNDEFEATED .....and gaining ground ....hopefully will break the Top 10 in the WBC soon and get that title shot he deserves

heck...if humps that Joe beat like Monte Two Gunns & Touch of Sleep got their shot at the title...MESI def. should get his chance !!!

I STILL BELIEVE

BABY JOE MESI...GREATEST HW OF ALL TIME thumbsup_anim.gif
stateofthegame
QUOTE(SpitShineTommy @ Jan 7 2008, 07:52 PM) [snapback]373823[/snapback]
BABY JOE MESI !!!

still UNDEFEATED .....and gaining ground ....hopefully will break the Top 10 in the WBC soon and get that title shot he deserves

heck...if humps that Joe beat like Monte Two Gunns & Touch of Sleep got their shot at the title...MESI def. should get his chance !!!

I STILL BELIEVE

BABY JOE MESI...GREATEST HW OF ALL TIME thumbsup_anim.gif

Tommy,

I have never been a big Mesi fan, but when the sactioning bodies are ranking JD Chapman in the top 15 and top 10 (WBO #10) without fighting one quality opponent than I agree that Mesi deserves a shot at the title. It is ridiculous to me that Chapman is ranked that high and Mesi is not ranked in anyone's top 15 and has fought the exact same type of opponents Chapman has in his comeback. I usually support the guys from Arkansas, but this deal with Chapman pisses me off.

Jeff
dbdbdb
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jan 6 2008, 05:12 AM) [snapback]373669[/snapback]
Who do you guys think are the best U.S heavyweights at the moment, and are there any young and promising up and comers on the horizon?

There are a few .... few good US prospects in the HW division. But, they aren't the dominant type that we saw a decade ago. It seems like we're entering the era of the large bodyfat HW in the US, rather than the muscular well trained HW of old. None of them can compete with Wlad, even though wlad runs out of steam at times ..... still he packs one hell of a punch and there are few who can really stand in there and match him. The way things are going, it will be a long, long time before we see another US born Holyfield, Tyson type of HW. Briggs, who was a massive HW with much potential, just didn't have good stamina and was always out of gas by the second round. So his tenure was short and unfullfilling.

One thing I glad about is that I don't have to see an overweight, sloppy, James Toney anymore. That was bordering on a disgrace for someone as talented as he was to come into the ring in such terrible shape. Peter, though from Nigeria isn't even a good HW in my opinion. Look at his last fight with Mcline who had ten+ days to get ready and he floored Peter three times before the 6th rd. If Mcline had been better trained, Peter wouldn't have that measley belt right now.

In Russia the HW division seems to be alive and well ........... In the US it is on its death bed, hoping for someone to revive it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.