Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ODLH vs Miguel Cotto
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Douchebag
I think Cotto still wins. Thought?
JD
I think Cotto is fighting Alfonso Gomez.
Spreadking3rd
makes sense, that Gay La Hoya would want it to be a catchweight....he's always been a prissy panzy.
PR316
Is this fight even being negotiated??... I mean if Oscar is gonna make another one of his "comebacks" then I think this is the fight that makes the most sense. There's a good chance he gets hammered here and possibly endures the worst beating of his life but if he was to win, he could retire off that. I think Oscar's cashing out on every possible big event he can have and I don't blame him. He's a guy at this point who just likes to compete in big spectacle events and of the opponents he can choose, Cotto I think is the only one who can give him that. He's already been beat by Mayweather and by De La Hoya's own admission, he basically wants no more of Floyd. Cotto is a more winnable fight but riskier in terms of taking a beating.
streetlion1
I dont think this is true but if it is.....I think Cotto wins by close decision. I see Cotto getting rocked early and popped with the jab however would expect him to land more throughout the course of the fight. No-one is gonna come in and just walk through DLH at anytime. LOL at "Gay la hoya" and "prissy panzy" Since he is an all-time great and never ducked anyone unlike a certain P4P king who shall remain nameless. thumbsup_anim.gif
salvador
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 9 2008, 02:17 PM) [snapback]374090[/snapback]
I think Cotto still wins. Thought?

where did you read about this? or is this just a hypothetical?
CyruS
Oscar hasn't beaten a top contender in almost a decade. Cotto is going to run him over with the body shots and Oscar will run out of gas quicker than he usual does and it either ends up with Cotto giving a world class beating to Oscar over 12 or Oscar just getting knocked out with a body shot at around round 9, again.
Douchebag
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 9 2008, 05:08 PM) [snapback]374136[/snapback]
I dont think this is true but if it is.....I think Cotto wins by close decision. I see Cotto getting rocked early and popped with the jab however would expect him to land more throughout the course of the fight. No-one is gonna come in and just walk through DLH at anytime. LOL at "Gay la hoya" and "prissy panzy" Since he is an all-time great and never ducked anyone unlike a certain P4P king who shall remain nameless. thumbsup_anim.gif

Just Hypothetical at this point.
The CEO
Hey, C...I got a sneaky feeling you like Miguel Cotto.

laugh.gif

but continuing with the seriousness...I'd say there's at least a 20% those scenarios you pointed out could happen...

Cotto SHOULD be the favorite when it comes to the odds....
BrutalBodyShots
Oscar wouldn't take the fight at a catch weight because it wouldn't be a championship fight. No way does Oscar get in there with Cotto for anything less than a shot at a title.

D-MARV
Word out of puerto Rico is:
Cotto may be taking a stay busy fight against Gomez or Collazo, in March!
Cotto's camp really wants the De La Hoya fight! There is a problem though! Cotto wants June and DLH wants May!
But if a DLH fight dont happen, then Cotto wants to Unify!
BigG
I'd like to see Cotto-Collazo. Collazo is a skilled boxer who should give Cotto some trouble.

Gomez would take a sick beating...
salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 9 2008, 07:51 PM) [snapback]374160[/snapback]
Oscar wouldn't take the fight at a catch weight because it wouldn't be a championship fight. No way does Oscar get in there with Cotto for anything less than a shot at a title.

Oscar doesn't give a shit about titles at this point. All he wants is money, one last shot at glory, and the very best possible chance of winning. Cotto is all of those things at 150. The only reason Oscar wouldn't want to do it at 150 is because it would take some of the shine off the win if he was fighting a smaller guy who was moving up in weight for a paycheck. Besides, it's not like Cotto's belt means a damn thing at 147 as long as Floyd's a ww.

I think it goes without saying that Cotto would be thrilled with either a 40-60 split at 154 or a 30-70 split at 147. Weight is just one more negotiating point for Oscar.
CyruS
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jan 9 2008, 06:46 PM) [snapback]374156[/snapback]
Hey, C...I got a sneaky feeling you like Miguel Cotto.

laugh.gif
but continuing with the seriousness...I'd say there's at least a 20% those scenarios you pointed out could happen...

Cotto SHOULD be the favorite when it comes to the odds....

laugh.gif

Well, Cotto is a 5 time World Champion in 2 weight classes in FHWeBL note to posters not involved in FHWeBL, drop by at the sub forum and join up

Cheap plug?

laugh.gif
BigG
Cotto better give Judah a 3rd match...
kidbazooka1
Im a DLH fan but I think Cotto will be too much for Oscar now in days.

Gomez is supposed to be fighting Chavez Jr.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(salvador @ Jan 9 2008, 07:17 PM) [snapback]374174[/snapback]
Oscar doesn't give a shit about titles at this point. All he wants is money, one last shot at glory, and the very best possible chance of winning. Cotto is all of those things at 150.

titles = money. If Cotto and DLH fought a championship fight it would sell better and generate more dollars, bottom line.

salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 10 2008, 10:02 AM) [snapback]374241[/snapback]
titles = money. If Cotto and DLH fought a championship fight it would sell better and generate more dollars, bottom line.

What title would they fight for, Cotto's????? Would anybody actually believe that the winner of this fight was king at 147?

Oscar sells tickets because he's Oscar. People are always going to pay to see him fight if they think he's going to be tested. The only thing a belt would mean to a fight like this is that the fighters would have to give one of the rediculous organizations sanctioning fees. And given that, and given the fact that I don't believe that there would be a single person who would base their decision on whether or not to buy this fight based on whether or not a title was at stake, if they were fighting for a belt they would both make LESS money!
D-MARV
QUOTE(salvador @ Jan 10 2008, 09:11 AM) [snapback]374244[/snapback]
What title would they fight for, Cotto's????? Would anybody actually believe that the winner of this fight was king at 147?

Oscar sells tickets because he's Oscar. People are always going to pay to see him fight if they think he's going to be tested. The only thing a belt would mean to a fight like this is that the fighters would have to give one of the rediculous organizations sanctioning fees. And given that, and given the fact that I don't believe that there would be a single person who would base their decision on whether or not to buy this fight based on whether or not a title was at stake, if they were fighting for a belt they would both make LESS money!

Title fights do bring more money!!!
Me personally, I dont care it this was a title fight or not. BUt fighters make more money in title fights! One of the reasons why Mayweather agreed to move up to 154 and not make his fight a catch weight fight! Do you think Mayweather would let De La Hoya weight 154 if he wasn't getting something out of it???
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 9 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]374092[/snapback]
I think Cotto is fighting Alfonso Gomez.

This would be good actually. I mean, Cotto deserves an easy one.
salvador
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 10 2008, 10:56 AM) [snapback]374245[/snapback]
Title fights do bring more money!!!
Me personally, I dont care it this was a title fight or not. BUt fighters make more money in title fights! One of the reasons why Mayweather agreed to move up to 154 and not make his fight a catch weight fight! Do you think Mayweather would let De La Hoya weight 154 if he wasn't getting something out of it???

Is this a serious post?

Just in case it is, I want to make sure that I understand what you're saying. Are you really saying that Mayweather wouldn't have fought Oscar at 154 pounds for exactly the same money without a title being on the line? Really????

Just in purely economic terms, what, in your opinion, would have been the difference in PPV numbers if Floyd-DLH hadn't been for a title?

When stars fight it's about selling the stars. When up and comers fight it's about gaining recognition. Belts are a way of gaining recognition and nothing else, particularly at 147 where Floyd is clearly champ and Cotto's belt is worthless. And not only is Cotto's belt worthless, but every time he fights he has to pay sanctioning fees to whatever organization his belt happens to be from.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(salvador @ Jan 10 2008, 09:11 AM) [snapback]374244[/snapback]

I disagree. It really doesn't matter what title they are fighting for. When some fans hear "championship of the world" for a promo they think a fight is more meaningful than it actually is. I'm not one of those fans, but they are out there. A fight with a championship attached to it will do more PPV buys than one without.

elperitoboricua
I think that the fact that a fighter brings a belt to the fight and that fight is sanctioned by the corresponding body affects the money split in favor of the champion. Still fighters can opt to take a lower split from the purse but a bigger cut from the sales.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.