Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hilarious - HBO to Replay Trinidad bout of 2000 and Jones bout of 2003
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Method
In an effort to promote Jones/Trinidad, HBO has to go all the way back to 2000 for Trinidad and 2003 for Jones to find promotion-worthy showcases.

So bad.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Method @ Jan 11 2008, 12:12 PM) [snapback]374339[/snapback]
In an effort to promote Jones/Trinidad, HBO has to go all the way back to 2000 for Trinidad and 2003 for Jones to find promotion-worthy showcases.

So bad.

Sounds like they're going to be replaying Trinidad Vargas and Jones Ruiz. Both were good fights, especially Trinidad Vargas...
Big Slim Sweet
I would have like a Jones-Kelly, Trinidad-Cherifi double header.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't go with the more recent Trinidad-Mayorga. For Roy they could have shown excerps of some recent highlights. The 1st round of Tarver 2, the 5th round of Tarver 3, Roy taking Marbury off the dribble in scrimmage. That sort of thing.
Chi-Town
This is in no way directed at anyone in particular but the negativity on the board recently bothers me. Not just about this fight, but about a number of the topics we discuss. I don't understand why people are hating on this fight so much. These guys FIGHT FOR A LIVING. Its not like boxing is a hobby, or some side job they picked up somewhere along the way...both men are PROFESSIONAL BOXERS who have had gloves on since they could stand. If they want to fight until they are 40 or beyond is their right, I don't think it is a fans place to say they shouldn't fight anymore, but it is the right of the consumer not to purchase the product. Nobody is trying to make this fight more than it is....everyone, HBO included knows that these guys best days are behind them. Both guys were once thought to be unbeatable, both guys have been dominated in recent fights....but that's what makes it a good match, both guys are in the same place in their careers.

So like I said, everybody knows that this fight has no real ramifications for the future of the boxing world, so instead of putting our noses in the air and shunning the fight because the stakes aren't that high, why not just kick back and enjoy the nostaglia of seeing the two most elite fighters of last decade with go at it while they still have a little something left in the tank. Or, if it doesn't interest you, just don't watch.
Spyder
I would've liked to see them pull a Jones fight from '93...
Method
everybody knows that this fight has no real ramifications for the future of the boxing world, so instead of putting our noses in the air and shunning the fight because the stakes aren't that high, why not just kick back and enjoy

...uhhhh because people are being asked to pay to watch it maybe?

Given that there's a price tag attached to it its fair game to be scrutinized.
Maxy
QUOTE(Method @ Jan 11 2008, 02:06 PM) [snapback]374356[/snapback]

Thats about the long and the short of it.

Personally I think its being shown over here on Setanta so I don't have to pay any extra to see it. Thing is, it'll be on about 4am so I won't be staying up to watch it. It's two fighters, one of my all-time favourites (Jones) who are well over the hill and doesn't mean anything for the bigger picture so there is bound to be a lot of negativity.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Method @ Jan 11 2008, 01:06 PM) [snapback]374356[/snapback]

Understood, but I haven't heard many complaints about it being on pay-per-view, the main complaint i keep hearing is that people are almost angry that the fight was made, the words "sad", "pathetic" and "shame" seem to come up the most. What I'm saying is that the fight itself makes a lot of sense, both guys are on the downslide, but both have great name recognition and just enough in the tank to make it intruiging. I personally think that in a given year there are only 2 or 3 fights that are truly PPV worthy....CERTAINLY there have been much, much worse matchups than this one with a $50 price tag.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Maxy @ Jan 11 2008, 01:32 PM) [snapback]374359[/snapback]
Thats about the long and the short of it.

Personally I think its being shown over here on Setanta so I don't have to pay any extra to see it. Thing is, it'll be on about 4am so I won't be staying up to watch it. It's two fighters, one of my all-time favourites (Jones) who are well over the hill and doesn't mean anything for the bigger picture so there is bound to be a lot of negativity.

But that's my point Maxy, a fight doesn't have to be "for all the marbles" to be interesting. Last Friday night on FNF, the 6 round fight after the Raheem knockout was an excellent and entertaining fight...despite the fact that it was a 6 rounder between guys with limited pro experience. Despite the fact that RJ and Tito are 38 and 34 and have both lost recently, the potential remains that this fight can be entertaining or at the very least be an opportunity to cheer for one of these guys one last time in a WINABLE big fight. Even with the high ticket prices I think the house will be full and the atmosphere will be lively and intense. Are HBO and Don King fucking us over with the price tag?? Absolutley. Is this the first or the last time it has or will happen?? Absolutely not.
PR316
I guess they're really trying to hype this up as much as they can. But there isn't much to go by. Honestly, it would be better if they replayed Trinidad/Mayorga.

The only thing Roy could gain from this fight besides a big pay day is CONFIDENCE... I think Tito is perfect for him in his recovery to get over the KO losses to Tarver and Johnson. Roy has a chance to look spectacular again and if he does, then it makes him an attractive opponent for the Calzaghe/Hopkins winner possibly. Or maybe if Roy really got bold he could step up and challenge Bad Chad Dawson.

Tito on the other hand has less options. If he somehow sprung an upset, most would rightfully feel that it was because of what Jones wasn't anymore moreso than anything Tito is at this point. The only thing Tito really brings these days is a name and money. I can't even imagine B-Hop being interested unless they offer him something ridiculous. If Tito somehow won, the fight he needs to take is at 160 pounds against Oscar De La Hoya and win, lose, or draw, just retire.

Get ready for a massacre.

Jones in 7 or 8 possibly earlier is the call.
LeeGenius
One can generally go to a sportsbar, pay a 5dollar cover and enjoy the fight with other fight fans.

PPV has been around for 20+ years now. We have torrents and replays right after the fight and ways to watch the fight, eat, drink gargantuant amounts of beer and enjor ourselves for $50 bucks or less.

Its not that bad, really.
Method
Yo Chi Town, it's all good. Im not hatin on shit.

Im actually gonna be ordering the fight now that I found out m y borther in law (Rican) is coming down to spend the weekend so he can watch the fight on a real tv. So it's all good as it gives me an excuse to party.

Trinidad Vargas is a great fight. They could show that on PPV STILL and probably get 50K buys...albeit at a reduced price.

I have alway hated John Ruiz, and NEVER thought ANYTHING of him WHATSOEVER as a fighter so I wan never impressed with Jones getting the W there. To me, it was a bamboozle, but neither here nor there.

I just thought it kinda wierd because when HBO shows fights the week before to hype a PPV, they usually are fairly recent, if not the most recent...and when I saw 2000....I was like, damn.

I would love it if Tito won here, because I think Roy is again trying to Bamboozle, but man, I can't see it happening, unless making weight really weakens Jones. I may lay a small lil somethin' on Tito by stoppage just for kicks.
24 A BRICK
I for one will not purchase this PPV. it's not even because of the participants who are pass their glory days. I used to pay for fights, but I made up my mind for 2008 and beyond that I will not purchase anymore PPV boxing. it's total BS when they say buying PPV supports the sport of boxing. the only ones benefiting from PPV's are the promoters & fighters involved with the PPV. as far as HBO replaying the fights they chose for Trinidad & Jones JR, the Jones fight with Ruiz was an historical accomplishment. The Trinidad fight with Vargas was a prime Trinidad than the Trinidad that fought Mayorga. yes, HBO had to reach back years to showcase both fighters, but I have no problem with the fights they chose.
Hatuey
Greenburg is obviously still holding a grudge. Shit is hilarious! No promotion for this fight at all, despite the fact that two legends , in Jones and Trinidad, are about to give it there all for a last shot at glory. This is Ross' "f-you" to Jones and this promotion......LMAO! No 24/7 for Jones and Trinidad more like 29 minutes and 99 seconds.

Guaranteed however, HBO will be on the winners balls!!!!
stateofthegame
It will more than likely wind up like Morales-Diaz. HBO promoted that fight and did not even give it a replay and they owed a lot to Morales IMO for the great fights he put on in his career.

To me this fight is meaningless. Jones is going to destroy Tito. Too big and strong and when Roy touches that chin it is goodnight. I know people are banking on Trinidad's power, but he is going to be slow and I doubt his power will carry.

Also I find it funny that Roy said that "If the fight goes six, then the fight is fixed" to me that says that if it goes six than Roy must be in on the fix right.
The CEO
Have there been any photos of them training at all..?

laugh.gif

This is a bullshit fight to me...they should have never faced each other in their primes, and they DEFINITELY shouldn't be facing each other NOW.

They're gonna get paid. That's all there is to it...
BigG
The HBO countdown was nice....Roy was looking fast as hell in sparring.
kidbazooka1
Unlike many here I am actually pumped for this fight. Bash all you want but I think it's gonna be pretty damn interesting. You have Jones who in his prime would beat Tito easly but now his chin has been exposed and that will give Tito alot of conifidence. If Johnson was able to put Jones to sleep you better believe Trinidad has a chance. I believe Jones will win but don't be suprised if Tito catches him and stops him in brutal fashion.
Fitz
This fight means nothing, but I'm just looking forward to seeing someone get KTFO. It's most likely going to be Trinidad, but I'm easy. I wouldn't mind seeing either laying on there back.
salvador
QUOTE(Hatuey @ Jan 11 2008, 08:31 PM) [snapback]374400[/snapback]
Greenburg is obviously still holding a grudge. Shit is hilarious! No promotion for this fight at all, despite the fact that two legends , in Jones and Trinidad, are about to give it there all for a last shot at glory. This is Ross' "f-you" to Jones and this promotion......LMAO! No 24/7 for Jones and Trinidad more like 29 minutes and 99 seconds.

I actually find it to be disappointing. I'm excited about the fight and I'm about the only person who really thinks Tito has a chance. Regarding the Tito-Vargas fight or the Jones-Ruiz fights being replayed on HBO, how the hell come they aren't showing them on HBO On Demand? That really is pretty blatent on HBO's part. Doesn't Greenburg want HBO to make money?
BigG
I love watching both Tito and Roy fight. I grew up watching both fight. But this was not a good fight for Tito to pick. He probably should've taken a tune up.
Hatuey
QUOTE(salvador @ Jan 12 2008, 06:37 AM) [snapback]374469[/snapback]
I actually find it to be disappointing. I'm excited about the fight and I'm about the only person who really thinks Tito has a chance. Regarding the Tito-Vargas fight or the Jones-Ruiz fights being replayed on HBO, how the hell come they aren't showing them on HBO On Demand? That really is pretty blatent on HBO's part. Doesn't Greenburg want HBO to make money?

Sal,

Obviously HBO didn't give a crap about this fight, otherwise, there would've been the fights you mentioned Ondemand. Hey it's their loss in revenue especially if the fight turns out to be a thriller!
Mean Mister Mustard
I still can't believe Trinidad is fighting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.