Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jones vs. Trinidad: Official Preview Thread/Poll
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
This thread is for all preview comments about the Jones-Trinidad fight and includes a poll. Most agree that the match is happening about 7 years too late. However, there might still be casual interest to see who has anything left. Predict now!

Jack

Administrator
BigG
Jones outboxes Tito for the first 5 or 6 rounds then ends things big in round 7.
Jack 1000
I was tempted to say Jones by TKO/KO late. But even now I don't know if Roy has the power. The conventional wisdom is that Tito is so far removed from his natural weight that anything he does can't hurt Roy, (even at this stage.) Jones will be cautious for the first 3 rounds. (This is Tito's only chance to land something big to win.) Roy will take over after the 4th and win a near shutout decision in a one-sided beating. Only Trinidad's courage will keep him in the fight, especially from the mid to late rounds. But as I said in our other threads, the fight proves nothing. Both are shot and should retire. Trinidad obviously worse than Jones, but at least Roy has been an active fighter. This will be a proven factor in the betting. I'd look at solid 7-1 odds against Tito. I really don't think that such odds are that far out of line.

Jack
Maxy
Everyone should post in the predictions league.

I got Jones in 9.
BigJuicyHog
Jones TKO 8 for me. Tito tries, but is outgunned.
Nay_Sayer
The more I think about this fight the more I don't know. If Jones plays it safe he should outbox Tito. However, Jones is not a technically sound fighter and his age along with the weight issue could be a factor. Jones promises an early KO which suggests that he will stand and trade with Tito. This, IMO, would benefit Trinidad.

I think the questions that need to be answered are 1) can Trinidad land his money punch, and if so 2) how does Jones react?

Can't wait to see what Jones looks like @ the weigh in...
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I think this is going to be a close fight. I feel Roy is going to take a lot of the early rounds by outboxing Tito easily. His skills may not be what they used to be, but they are still pretty good and he's still fast. Tito will struggle with the speed and skills in the early going, but I think people are underestimating how much trouble Roy is going to have with this weight. He's already gone on record and said its tougher to make than he thought it would be. This will play into Tito's favor, as Roy will slow down in the later rounds. Tito is going to pressure him and take those rounds. However, I think Roy will have already banked on enough early rounds and middle rounds to get a close decision. Another thing going in Tito's favor is that Roy has never had all that great of a jab. He also lays on the ropes a lot. Roy is a lot different from Hopkins and Wright, as he isn't as fundamentally sound.
Kyle
BrutalBodyShots
Jones stops Trinidad.

gods son
Jones TKO's Trinidad, maybe in round 6 or 7.

I just hope the fight is explosive..
Romulus9
I'm going out on a limb here...

If Tito loses, he retires.

If Tito wins, he'll lose his next fight and then retire.

Either way, in two years he'll be back to lose to someone else. Maybe he can fight Mayorga or Vargas again. All three of them are on the same level right now!
Douchebag
Jones will dominate Tito and KO him early. Tito has always been Chinny and Roy is fast and hits hard enough to end this fight inside of four. Tito will have to shake off years of ring rust early so I expect Roy to be all over him from the openning bell.
streetlion1
I have Trinidad being in it for the first 5-6 rounds while RJJ is being cautious backing up and countering. Then around 9-10 Tito starts fading and Jones scores a KO/TKO victory. Which sets up his ass-whoopin loss to B-Hop! thumbsup_anim.gif
basicjab
Wow, out of 20 votes only 1 vote for Tito? Only 1 person on this entire board thinks Tito will win? LMAO

Now I am really rooting for Tito to win, lol.
Elijah
I'm rooting for Tito to win but I think RJJ will win by UD.

Usually when I don't have much of a preference as to which boxer I want to win I root for the one that needs the win the most and in this case I think that's Tito.

RJJ can afford to lose and still possibly get big name fights but if Tito loses he's done.

Mino
QUOTE(basicjab @ Jan 15 2008, 01:23 PM) [snapback]374854[/snapback]
Wow, out of 20 votes only 1 vote for Tito? Only 1 person on this entire board thinks Tito will win? LMAO

Now I am really rooting for Tito to win, lol.

Yup I see that I am the only 1 to vote for Tito, cant wait to gloat on this 1
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(basicjab @ Jan 15 2008, 01:23 PM) [snapback]374854[/snapback]

Which means the odds should be more like 20-1 not 3-1 -- PERFECT example of a fighter's name (Trinidad) skewing odds based on his PAST drawing power. We've seen this with others like Tyson, DLH and Holyfield in the past. For Jones backers out there, BET ON JONES TO WIN! This thread is a perfect indication of what the odds SHOULD be, so take advantage of this opportunity (Trinidad's name) to make some money.
kidbazooka1
Damn no no faith In Tito.

I say Jones boxes his way to a UD but I'll be rooting for Trinidad to end things in devastating fashion.
Mino
Now who went and ruined it for me by putting in that 2nd vote for Tito??
Nay_Sayer
I don't know that we should completely write-off Trinidad. Roy hasn't been near 170lbs since Feb 2002. Weight could be a factor...
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 16 2008, 08:52 PM) [snapback]374982[/snapback]
All I know is that if Trinidad knocks Jones out, I will be eating a lot of crow. But it won't be so bad because so will nearly everyone else on this board, so it won't be anywhere near as bad when you aren't singled out laugh.gif

True, I'm in the same boat as you.

BigG
Trinidad actually looks in good shape....Jones looks really good too.

I'm actually pretty hyped up for the fight. I can envision Jones beating the shit out of Trinidad from the outside in the middle of the ring but you never know. If Tito brings up his power it will be interesting.
iron_mike
QUOTE(Mino @ Jan 15 2008, 07:32 PM) [snapback]374888[/snapback]
Yup I see that I am the only 1 to vote for Tito, cant wait to gloat on this 1

Can't wait to collect your $$$. Just kidding, good luck tongue.gif
rusty_trombone
If Tito makes it out of this fight on his feet, I'd be surprised.
The Original MrFactor
Tito is toast by the 5th.
JD
Jones UD
Southeastpaw
OK!!!! So how many of you suckers are actually paying for this fight???????????
Spyder
Roy KO5
BrutalBodyShots
From what I read it took Trinidad a few tries to make 170 and Jones hit 169.5 on his first attempt.

Jack 1000
Who is the ref? I hope it's an early stoppage mentality guy, especially for Tito.

Jack
Romulus9
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Jan 18 2008, 07:49 PM) [snapback]375315[/snapback]
Who is the ref? I hope it's an early stoppage mentality guy, especially for Tito.

Jack

Viva Laurence Cole!
Southeastpaw
Picking Tito to get KOed in this fight early is purely speculation. Statistically one would believe that if anyone was to get KOed early, it would be Roy.

Call me crazy, but I can see a DLH/Tito type scenario playing out a little. Tito has always shown great conditioning and can retain his power till the final bell. Jones is very fast and will own Tito early, but if he does not get Tito outta there early, what will happen? Will Jones fade? If he does I can guarantee that Tito will stalk relentlessly. We have never seen Tito at this weight before, but we have never seen Tito get stopped except in one fight, and it wasn't till the end of that fight after mucho punishment did he get stopped. Let's face it, both of these guys are far past it and Jones is not a very powerful guy. There are a lot of IFs in this fight. But I think that Tito is getting very little respect going into this fight. Too little, and that leans in his favor.

I am picking Jones to win by UD. But I would not be at all surprised to see Roy on his back. IF Tito IS in shape and has the desire he used to have, he can definitely catch Roy. Definitely. When Roy gets tired or pressured too much, he retreats. That is bad for Roy in this situation. Roy does not have the defensive skillset as a Hopkins or Wright. If he is pressured NOW, he is uncomfortable and his lack of proper defensive training leaves him open to quick shots.

NOW I am a sucker as well, I saw it coming, and I will have to purchase this fight because I just watched the countdown and the Tito/Vargas bout again. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mino
Tito Ko 3, Roy will never fight again a vicious lefthook will do the job
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Jan 19 2008, 12:36 AM) [snapback]375356[/snapback]
Picking Tito to get KOed in this fight early is purely speculation. Statistically one would believe that if anyone was to get KOed early, it would be Roy.

Call me crazy, but I can see a DLH/Tito type scenario playing out a little. Tito has always shown great conditioning and can retain his power till the final bell. Jones is very fast and will own Tito early, but if he does not get Tito outta there early, what will happen? Will Jones fade?

I couple of issues with your post. First you're essentially saying that Jones getting Trinidad out of there early isn't likely (and that the other way around is MORE likely) but later in your post you entertain the idea that Jones CAN get Trinidad out of there early.

You say Jones getting Trinidad out of there early is speculation, but I see FAR MORE speculation in you saying Trinidad has shown "great conditioning" and "retain his power" when those factors go out the window when:

1 - He hasn't fought in 3 years
2 - He's fighting over a division higher than he's ever fought at before
3 - He's in with the hardest puncher and fastest guy he's faced

Southeastpaw
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 19 2008, 08:41 AM) [snapback]375388[/snapback]
I couple of issues with your post. First you're essentially saying that Jones getting Trinidad out of there early isn't likely (and that the other way around is MORE likely) but later in your post you entertain the idea that Jones CAN get Trinidad out of there early.

You say Jones getting Trinidad out of there early is speculation, but I see FAR MORE speculation in you saying Trinidad has shown "great conditioning" and "retain his power" when those factors go out the window when:

1 - He hasn't fought in 3 years
2 - He's fighting over a division higher than he's ever fought at before
3 - He's in with the hardest puncher and fastest guy he's faced

The only reason I even brought up the idea of Jones Getting Tito outta there early is because that is what Roy is predicting, which I do not see happening. What is going to go through Jones' head when Tito is still standing in front of him in round 8?

And I know that Tito has not fought in quite a while. But the same thing happened once before, and when Tito came back against Mayorga, there seemed nothing wrong with his conditioning.

Wright made Tito look like total garbage, but who does Wright make look good. Wright is awkward and discourages people. We saw it with Mosley in their first bout.

All I am saying is that even though Tito has never fought at 170 and has not fought in a few years, we have seen him both, climb weight and come back from long lay-offs and do well. So IMO, to blow Tito outta the water and give him little respect saying that Jones is going to stop him early is stretch from what we know of each guy. And we also have to factor in Jones' lack of power. That's all.
iron_mike
During the Mayweather Hatton fight, someone posted a link where you could watch streaming video of the fight. Can anyone please repost that link? Thanks
Big Slim Sweet
Roy UD.
iron_mike
Mino sent you a p.m, but my inbox says nothing was sent. Did u get it?
iron_mike
sorry dupe post
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Jan 19 2008, 09:38 AM) [snapback]375397[/snapback]
The only reason I even brought up the idea of Jones Getting Tito outta there early is because that is what Roy is predicting, which I do not see happening. What is going to go through Jones' head when Tito is still standing in front of him in round 8?

And I know that Tito has not fought in quite a while. But the same thing happened once before, and when Tito came back against Mayorga, there seemed nothing wrong with his conditioning.

Wright made Tito look like total garbage, but who does Wright make look good. Wright is awkward and discourages people. We saw it with Mosley in their first bout.

All I am saying is that even though Tito has never fought at 170 and has not fought in a few years, we have seen him both, climb weight and come back from long lay-offs and do well. So IMO, to blow Tito outta the water and give him little respect saying that Jones is going to stop him early is stretch from what we know of each guy. And we also have to factor in Jones' lack of power. That's all.

I see what you're saying, but Mayorga was just a walking heavy bag, it's easy not to get winded when the guy is there to be hit all night. If Roy pulls that going to the ropes crap it might be a different story, but I have a good feeling this fight will be fought in the middle of the ring.

Also, I think Roy has plenty of power, especially at 170 and I have a feeling Tito is going to get hit with a shitload of punches he won't see coming. But who knows, I'll be very surprised if Tito ends this fight standing up.
Southeastpaw
Streamtvnow.com is a good stream site.
iron_mike
Much appreciated!
Jack 1000
QUOTE(wvu8893 @ Jan 18 2008, 09:53 PM) [snapback]375346[/snapback]
Viva Laurence Cole!

UGGHH!!! Fightnews reporting Arther Mercante Jr. Shit! He normally stops fights late. This is not good for this type of fight. I would be concerned here. I hope he will take the age/health risks of these fighters into consideration. I would want Cole or Richard Steele for this fight, but they are not affliliated with the New York State Boxing Commission.

Jack
The CEO
(Channelling ClarkB)

"ok...there's NO WAY Jones is gonna lose this fight...he's at -335 right now....I have to lay the odds and bet the house to win 5 Gs......I'm gonna do it! I have to! This is the one!"
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jan 19 2008, 05:02 PM) [snapback]375457[/snapback]
(Channelling ClarkB)

"ok...there's NO WAY Jones is gonna lose this fight...he's at -335 right now....I have to lay the odds and bet the house to win 5 Gs......I'm gonna do it! I have to! This is the one!"

Things to consider before throwing down that much on Roy:

1) This fight seems too easy a pick. A little too easy. Easy enough for many to throw down huge cash with odds like that.

2) People are saying that some shady crap was going on at the weigh-in.

3) Don King

Not sayin that there is any funny bizness goin down, but not sayin there isn't potential for it.

I also would not rule out Roy getting caught either. It has been a while, but Tito has shown no sign of losing the zip in his punches. IF Roy gets gassed and ends up against the ropes, there is that chance. I'd go so far to say that Tito can throw faster than Tarver and Johnson.

But we will see.

So you would be laying what, some over 16 Gs to win that 5. I wish I had that kinda money to gamble.

The CEO
That wasn't me, paw...that was ClarkB talking....laugh.gif

Although I'm 90% sure Jones is gonna win, I'm not betting on this fight....besides...you'd have to bet a shitload to gain anything...

The $5k I wagered on Mayweather against Baby Hugginstein was the biggest play of my life...with all my Hate, and the mismatch it truly was...I HAD to go for it. I really felt it was an opportunity I couldn't pass on....
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jan 19 2008, 06:16 PM) [snapback]375463[/snapback]
That wasn't me, paw...that was ClarkB talking....laugh.gif

Although I'm 90% sure Jones is gonna win, I'm not betting on this fight....besides...you'd have to bet a shitload to gain anything...

The $5k I wagered on Mayweather against Baby Hugginstein was the biggest play of my life...with all my Hate, and the mismatch it truly was...I HAD to go for it. I really felt it was an opportunity I couldn't pass on....

OHHHHHH! lol

I actually think that May/Huggy was more of a gimme than this fight. There are too many IFS in this fight for me to bet any kind of money on it. That money you bet on May, like you didn't know already, was SMART money and I'm glad you did well.

This fight tonight intrigues me now. I know I said that I would not buy it, but it is getting VERY tempting. I'm gunna try and stay away from my remote during that time or have my wife put a PIN on that shit.
BrutalBodyShots
FYI Jones in the last 12 hours has moved from -335 to -300 to win. Good news for any last minute guys wanting to throw a little on Jones.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Jan 19 2008, 09:38 AM) [snapback]375397[/snapback]
And we also have to factor in Jones' lack of power. That's all.

When in your opinion has Jones shown a "lack of power" when fighting below 175? Even at 175 he had power when he wanted to use it. See Griffen II.

Even if Jones was just an average puncher at 168-175 (and I believe him to be slightly better than average) that power is CERTAINLY enough to hurt Trinidad who's been dropped by much less powerful shots (and much SLOWER shots too).

Jack 1000
The round by round thread for the fight, (with link to our own exclusive updates) is now up! All comments should move to that thread at this time.

Thank you for your participation in prefight comments and poll voting.

Jack

Administrator
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.