Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MAYWEATHER-DE LA HOYA 2 ON THE HORIZON?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
thehype
MAYWEATHER-DE LA HOYA 2 ON THE HORIZON?

According to Robert Morales of the Press-Telegram, a rematch between pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. and six-division champion Oscar De La Hoya is imminent. In a conversation with Morales, Promoter Bob Arum, who had been trying to negotiate a fight between De La Hoya and WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto, stated "that fight is a done deal."

read more

Don't be surprised to see Mayweahter in the corner before the start of the 8th round saying, "Dis my round? Dis my round, isn't it?"
BigG
Not interested in a rematch.

Mayweather-Cotto MUST happen!
Mean Mister Mustard
I read the same thing over at Max. If this fight happens shame on everyone invovled. I didn't even want the first one to happen so you can imagine how I feel about a rematch.

What's the point of the rematch besides the fact that both guys will be richer? Yeah, they will be richer and the guillible fans will be 50 to 60$ shorter.

The only element that made the first fight interesting was that everyone was guessing about how PBF would handle DLH's size and his left hook. Well we found out what we always knew, which was that PBF is too good to be hit with DLH's hooks.

Seriously what's the point of this rematch? Spend money on a repeat of the 1st fight and seeing Oscar throw weak ass arm punches to Mayweather's body only to later hear him say how for some MYSTERIOUS reason he wouldn't throw his jab? Or how about to see Mayweather unspectacularly jab his way to a close win and then later hear his mongloid ass saying how easy he makes it all look. Fuck that and fuck every one involved if this fight happens.
JD
Yeah, this was about as predictable as the ending to Rocky IV.
Mean Mister Mustard
Well I sure as hell am not buying this predictable piece of crap.
Mean Mister Mustard
Oh and if PBF takes this fight and Paquiao beats Marquez then the Pac Man should be #1 p4p.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 13 2008, 12:48 AM) [snapback]374547[/snapback]
Oh and if PBF takes this fight and Paquiao beats Marquez then the Pac Man should be #1 p4p.

Damn straight!!
The Original MrFactor
I als think theyshould strip Money May of his WW title if this garbage happens again. Fool me once shame on me...
kidbazooka1
I will not pay to see Mayweather run and DLH tire out mid way through the fight.
BigG
DLH should just retire.

Mayweather-Cotto. The boxing public should push for that to happen.
pacco_diablo
I know I dont want to see this fight.. Mayweather vs Williams or Cotto is all I'm interested in, something to solidify his career. Mayweather vs Delahoya II does nothing. It wont make the money that they hope for.
thehype
It might not make as much as they hope for, but it'll still make more than any other fight out there. I thought you already knew...this isn't a sport, it's a business...that's what it's all about...big money fights to help the rich get richer.
Fitz
Makes sense for both guys.

Also I can understand from an entertainment perspective as to why people don't want it to happen. But the first fight was damn close, and some people had it a draw or even Mayweather by a point so the fight isn't that bad, as the first fight wasn't even one sided. I think Mayweather does better and wins easier second time around, but this isn't the worst fight that could be made.
thehype
Well...I kind of thought the first one was lopsided...but regardless, as evidenced, there actually are quite a few people who thought it was close, a draw or even worse...that De La Hoya actually won...so of course it'll still do good numbers and big money and that's why it makes sense for them to do it a second time.

Sucks though...De La Hoya should have to get in the back of the line...I'd rather see Cotto get a crack at Floyd.
AussieLad
Cotto or Williams, anything else is a farce and a dodge...

P4P dodger award goes too .... money mayweather
mexi-cutioner
jeez not this again, i was looking fwd to their first fight but a rematch is just ridiculous. Floyd should just retire already im not interested in wathcing him fight DLH again...but im not gonna lie if this did happen i would probably end up watching it on PPV rolleyes.gif haha
Fitz
QUOTE(thehype @ Jan 13 2008, 07:33 PM) [snapback]374555[/snapback]
Well...I kind of thought the first one was lopsided...but regardless, as evidenced, there actually are quite a few people who thought it was close, a draw or even worse...that De La Hoya actually won...so of course it'll still do good numbers and big money and that's why it makes sense for them to do it a second time.

Sucks though...De La Hoya should have to get in the back of the line...I'd rather see Cotto get a crack at Floyd.

Not me. I actually thought it was close, but a clear win for Mayweather. Can't remember exactly how I scored it, but I think it would have been 115-113 or something like that. DLH actually impressed me a lot more than Mayweather did. I was expecting a lot better from Mayweather and a lot worse from DLH, but it was close. I think DLH lost the fight when he ran out of legs and stopped using the jab. When he was using the jab, I thought he was winning the fight early on.
That said, I think Mayweather would win easier, but it isn't the worst fight that could happen, or rematch. I would have liked to have seen Mayweather fight Cotto, or DLH-Cotto but I can't say I blame them. The first fight was close and it was the highest grossing PPV of all time, I think they would be both retarded if neither didn't at least consider a rematch.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 13 2008, 05:36 AM) [snapback]374567[/snapback]
Not me. I actually thought it was close, but a clear win for Mayweather. Can't remember exactly how I scored it, but I think it would have been 115-113 or something like that. DLH actually impressed me a lot more than Mayweather did. I was expecting a lot better from Mayweather and a lot worse from DLH, but it was close. I think DLH lost the fight when he ran out of legs and stopped using the jab. When he was using the jab, I thought he was winning the fight early on.
That said, I think Mayweather would win easier, but it isn't the worst fight that could happen, or rematch. I would have liked to have seen Mayweather fight Cotto, or DLH-Cotto but I can't say I blame them. The first fight was close and it was the highest grossing PPV of all time, I think they would be both retarded if neither didn't at least consider a rematch.

I also had the first fight close, but a clear win for Mayweather.I wanted to see Mayweather-Cotto too, but I understand why they do this fight 1 more time.Maybe now we can get Cotto-Williams some time late in the year and the winner can face the winner of Mayweather-De La Hoya.If that happened I wouldn't complain.
salvador
I hope this bombs. That said, I'm not at all convinced this will happen because DLH-Cotto makes so much more sense. DLH-Cotto would probably make as much for DLH because Cotto wouldn't be demanding as much from DLH as Floyd will and because DLH-Floyd 2 won't make nearly as much as the first fight.

This would be a huge disappointment for boxing. Not to mention that if Floyd fights Oscar next, you can be damn sure that with the exception of Cotto, Floyd ain't never getting in the ring with the other top welterweights like Williams or Margarito.
Douchebag
Oscar is in the same boat that Sweet-Pea was when they where trying to set up the DLH-Tito Superfight back in the day. Tito and Oscar both fought Pernell before the fought each other. I think its going to be the same situation where PBF and Cotto both fight DLH before the fight each other. Oscar's acting like a bitch right now, though. I had a feeling that he never wanted any part of Cotto.
Fitz
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 14 2008, 12:38 AM) [snapback]374586[/snapback]
Oscar's acting like a bitch right now, though. I had a feeling that he never wanted any part of Cotto.

That's stupid.
JD
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 13 2008, 08:50 AM) [snapback]374590[/snapback]
That's stupid.

Very.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 13 2008, 09:55 AM) [snapback]374592[/snapback]
Very.

Oscar is definitely NOT a bitch.The guy has fought everyone including Hopkins the current Light Heavyweight champ.I read that Sr will be in Oscars corner next fight, that could make Mayweather-De La Hoya II a little more interesting.Maybe that will fire Floyd up to take more risks against Oscar.
Douchebag
QUOTE(xxxxxx @ Jan 13 2008, 09:06 AM) [snapback]374595[/snapback]
Oscar is definitely NOT a bitch.The guy has fought everyone including Hopkins the current Light Heavyweight champ.I read that Sr will be in Oscars corner next fight, that could make Mayweather-De La Hoya II a little more interesting.Maybe that will fire Floyd up to take more risks against Oscar.

I didn't say that he was a bitch it said that he is acting like one. Regardless of what he is done in the past he is going out like bitch right now by trying to make a fight that he knows means nothing and that most hard core boxing fans don't want to see. It's bitch move straight up and down. I would rather see Oscar fight Margarito than PBF again.
Fitz
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 14 2008, 01:21 AM) [snapback]374602[/snapback]
I didn't say that he was a bitch it said that he is acting like one. Regardless of what he is done in the past he is going out like bitch right now by trying to make a fight that he knows means nothing and that most hard core boxing fans don't want to see. It's bitch move straight up and down. I would rather see Oscar fight Margarito than PBF again.

Where does the "he is 'afraid' of Cotto part fit in"?
xxxxxx
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 13 2008, 10:21 AM) [snapback]374602[/snapback]

Man...your a fool if you think a fight with PBF means nothing.PBF is on top right now, whoever beats him becomes P4P King of the boxing world.You gotta see that.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 13 2008, 09:26 AM) [snapback]374605[/snapback]
Where does the "he is 'afraid' of Cotto part fit in"?

I don't think Oscar is afraid of anybody but I do think that he no longer behaves as fighter should when it comes to the fights that he takes. I honestly feel that Cotto is more Logical opponent for him and he probably would make the fight he would be in line for some of the Money in the potential superfight between Cotto-Mayweather. But since there is nothing really in it for him to set something like that up he would rather feed the boxing public a meaningless fight on Cinco De Mayo. I'm sorry but I just have a hard time respecting those actions.
Douchebag
QUOTE(xxxxxx @ Jan 13 2008, 09:31 AM) [snapback]374608[/snapback]
Man...your a fool if you think a fight with PBF means nothing.PBF is on top right now, whoever beats him becomes P4P King of the boxing world.You gotta see that.

Are you fucking reading what I said? Where did I say that PBF means nothing. I said that fight means nothing because we already know whats going to happen because it's happened already. PBF will do the same thing he did to Oscar last time so what is it going to change. The fight does nothing for either mans career except make them richer...........................
PR316
Oscar is a fool. He has a better chance of beating Cotto than Mayweather. Oscar will look ordinary again.

Mayweather via UD and this time Oscar wins maybe 2 rounds if this fight happens.
Fitz
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 14 2008, 01:32 AM) [snapback]374609[/snapback]
I don't think Oscar is afraid of anybody

Douchebag
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 13 2008, 09:41 AM) [snapback]374617[/snapback]

don't forget bout....................

but I do think that he no longer behaves as fighter should when it comes to the fights that he takes. I honestly feel that Cotto is more Logical opponent for him and he probably would make the fight he would be in line for some of the Money in the potential superfight between Cotto-Mayweather. But since there is nothing really in it for him to set something like that up he would rather feed the boxing public a meaningless fight on Cinco De Mayo. I'm sorry but I just have a hard time respecting those actions.

xxxxxx
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 13 2008, 10:41 AM) [snapback]374617[/snapback]

lol
BigG
I believe Cotto would give DLH a serious fight and would hurt him big to the body.

Of course I'd watch it...but I just think there are better fights for PBF. Like Cotto, Mosley, Williams. I thought he beat DLH clearly 7-4-1.....
Douchebag
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 13 2008, 09:47 AM) [snapback]374620[/snapback]
I believe Cotto would give DLH a serious fight and would hurt him big to the body.

Of course I'd watch it...but I just think there are better fights for PBF. Like Cotto, Mosley, Williams. I thought he beat DLH clearly 7-4-1.....

Exactly there is no point to the fight but money. Unless PBF can KO Oscar (which I don't see happening) it does absolutely nothing for his career. And It doesn't matter who is in Oscar's corner he will not win this fight. So whats the point.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 13 2008, 10:35 AM) [snapback]374613[/snapback]
Oscar is a fool. He has a better chance of beating Cotto than Mayweather. Oscar will look ordinary again.
Mayweather via UD and this time Oscar wins maybe 2 rounds if this fight happens.

I don't think Oscar should be blamed for wanting to avenge a close loss to the best boxer in the world.Especially when there is so much money in the pot.Listen, we all know Oscar, he's a competitor and a warrior.He pushed himself hard in their first fight, but PBF was too quick and elusive.I'm a big Mayweather fan, but I gotta say that if the rematch happens we should blame Floyd not Oscar.It's Floyd who should be fighting Cotto, not Oscar.But then again, if Floyd refuses to fight De La Hoya then his haters will say he's ducking Oscar because Oscar gave him a tough fight.Either way, someone always gets critisized.
Fitz
This isn't really my ideal fight either, I would have preferred to have seen DLH fight Cotto or Mayweather fight Cotto, Williams or Margarito (not because I think Margarito would be tough, just so it can put this to rest). But this isn't the worst fight that could happen IMO. The first fight was close but probably forgetable, so a rematch isn't something ridiculous.
Also if I was in both their shoes and considering the history they made from the first fight, how could you not consider a 2nd fight?
xxxxxx
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 13 2008, 10:56 AM) [snapback]374624[/snapback]
This isn't really my ideal fight either, I would have preferred to have seen DLH fight Cotto or Mayweather fight Cotto, Williams or Margarito (not because I think Margarito would be tough, just so it can put this to rest). But this isn't the worst fight that could happen IMO. The first fight was close but probably forgetable, so a rematch isn't something ridiculous.
Also if I was in both their shoes and considering the history they made from the first fight, how could you not consider a 2nd fight?

I agree 100%. It would be nice to see Mayweather and Oscar fight another opponent before their rematch, but Oscar is getting older so maybe he feels it's time. The perfect situation would be if Mayweather fought Cotto and Oscar fought a Margarito/Williams and then do the rematch if they won, but like you said..the money is there right now.Especially if Floyd sr is in Oscars corner.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(xxxxxx @ Jan 13 2008, 09:55 AM) [snapback]374623[/snapback]
I don't think Oscar should be blamed for wanting to avenge a close loss to the best boxer in the world.Especially when there is so much money in the pot.Listen, we all know Oscar, he's a competitor and a warrior.He pushed himself hard in their first fight, but PBF was too quick and elusive.I'm a big Mayweather fan, but I gotta say that if the rematch happens we should blame Floyd not Oscar.It's Floyd who should be fighting Cotto, not Oscar.But then again, if Floyd refuses to fight De La Hoya then his haters will say he's ducking Oscar because Oscar gave him a tough fight.Either way, someone always gets critisized.

Floyd has earned the right to fight whoever he wants and altho I would love to see PBF/Cotto if DLH beats Cotto he still would have to fight PBF to be the man so why not go after PBF if he really wants to be the man. Oh that's right, if you beat Cotto you still would have to beat Williams then PBF to be the man according to all yall Margarito fans smile.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(xxxxxx @ Jan 13 2008, 09:55 AM) [snapback]374623[/snapback]

I think both fighters are to blame for making this fight happen. the only reason the 2st one was made was because of money and it's the same reason why they want it to happen again. Mayweather clearly outpointed DLH, his work in the late rounds ensured that. Some people wanted to see a rematch right away but as the hype wore off after the fight and people saw the replay they realized that the fight was not as close as they thought it was.

By the way, I've never read any poster saying that Mayweather is a pussy, at leas not in the message boards. If people think Mayweather is a wuss the it's because he has not fought Cotto or Williams.
Method
read that Sr will be in Oscars corner next fight, that could make Mayweather-De La Hoya II a little more interesting.Maybe that will fire Floyd up to take more risks against Oscar.

I really don't want to see these two rematch and try and bamboozle the public into shelling out loot AGAIN. The countdown was ALL HYPE, and the fight sure as hell DID NOT (at least as far as Floyd's concerned) live up to all the talk on countdown.

That said, the writing is on the wall. These fighters know it's a big bamboozle, so now they'll play the Floyd Sr. vs Jr. aspect of it. Toss the Black Mamba in front and center and now we have a whole new dramatic ghetto soap opera...and unfortunately, it will sell...not because of the fight, but because of the Sr., Jr., Roger love (or hate) triangle.

I too would rather see DLH OR Floyd fight top tier fights vs Cotto (or Floyd vs Williams) and then, after winning and building some new found belief ina rematch, get it on, but any rematch now is ALL for the money. I thought the first fight was close, but I don't care to see the rematch. It is all bullshit.
Jack 1000
I thought Oscar said that he didn't want a rematch because he was so disappointed with the lack of action in the first fight and wanted to go out with a big action fight. I agree that a rematch would suck and serves no interest other than to make more money. But Oscar or Floyd (especially Floyd) should be working on a Cotto fight next.

Fuck the rematch! It should be Cotto or nothing!

Jack
D-MARV
This is not a good look for Money May!
Unless Mayweather makes the rematch look like the Gatti fight then he will lose that P$P title for sure!
I much rather see Cotto-Mayweather. That will be less risk and way more reward for FLOYD!
WolfishPromistah
Being as I'm one to believe Floyd's power is somewhat underrated, I think Floyd could kill two birds with one stone on this if he first "took out" Cotto, before then taking on Oscar afterwards. The key, though, would be in whether Floyd can decisively embarrass Cotto, which many people still think he wouldn't. Now if he surprised them and impressively stopped Cotto, unlike Mosely, who didn't though he had Cotto running at the end, it would help him to emphasize that "power" won't be as bad a factor for him come next time around against Oscar (whether it truly would or wouldn't be still).

Then that would peek interests to see whether he could fulfill the promise to truly knock Oscar out the next time. And though he'd most likely fight smart and not press to do so, as the last time showed, he could still make the pay just by being there to win. I just think Floyd can knock Cotto out easier than he can Oscar, even with Oscar being older now. So he could "really" make out and get paid more by doing things this way. Sure, it's a gamble, though, 'cause Oscar's age is gonna play out in people's minds, but Floyd can still make a good sum more than most his fights through it all. I mean, it is Oscar after all.
streetlion1
I like many others wanna see PBF fight Cotto but I said all along Mayweather only takes fights that he knows he can win. Boxing fans would be lucky if PBF actually signed to fight Cotto, Mosley, Williams, or even Margarito for that matter. Now this fight might seem to be the same as the first but hold on a second! We all know that all DLH had to do to win the first one is keep throwing his jab. History tells us that DLH performs much better in a re-match and no doubt would show up to win. However at times in the fight when PBF decided to actually throw instead of back up he was more than holding his own. Im curious to see if this fight actually does happen and if so who DLH's trainer would be this time around.
thehype
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 13 2008, 09:35 AM) [snapback]374613[/snapback]

Man...thanks for that post. For a second, I thought I was the only one who thought Oscar looked ordinary in that first fight. In fact, outside of the Sturm fight, I think that's the worst I've ever seen him look.

LOL
The CEO
This fight is some bullshit. It stinks.

I wouldn't know who to bet on...because I can easily see De La Hoya being the predetermined winner so they can fight a rubber match....
Jack 1000
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 13 2008, 12:31 PM) [snapback]374659[/snapback]
I like many others wanna see PBF fight Cotto but I said all along Mayweather only takes fights that he knows he can win. Boxing fans would be lucky if PBF actually signed to fight Cotto, Mosley, Williams, or even Margarito for that matter. Now this fight might seem to be the same as the first but hold on a second! We all know that all DLH had to do to win the first one is keep throwing his jab. History tells us that DLH performs much better in a re-match and no doubt would show up to win. However at times in the fight when PBF decided to actually throw instead of back up he was more than holding his own. Im curious to see if this fight actually does happen and if so who DLH's trainer would be this time around.

My take is slightly different,

Floyd could take a losing fight IF AND ONLY IF there was a rematch clause and he was guaranteed tons of money for a high risk fight, and/or a high risk fight with a rematch clause if he lost. Floyd won't fight really high risk opponents unless he is damn sure of tons of money even in losing. So my question is:

We know that Delahoya-Mayweather II won't do nearly as well as the first fight. It may not totally bomb, but it won't be successful because people felt they got ripped off by the lack of action in the first fight. So do you think that Mayweather-Cotto because it is new, fresh, and represents a challenge could draw just as much money or maybe even more money than Delahoya-Mayweather II? What about Cotto-Delahoya? What would REALLY SUCK is if GBP were to somehow fix this fight so that Oscar would get the win on the cards, he and Floyd get a nice business partner cozy relationship, putting the handwriting on the wall for the orchestrated third fight. Anything is possible. Oscar and Hopkins get awfully nice to each other after Bernard stopped him AND Oscar said that he doesn't want to go out a loser in his last fight. But I wonder if Floyd would play along with the charade. The public damn well should NOT. Floyd should fight Cotto. I will also accept Oscar fighting Cotto. But no one (outside of the HBO commentary) wants to see Oscar fight Floyd again.

Jack
Southeastpaw
A DLH/Cotto bout would generate quite a bit of $$$$ and would be a much better fight than a DLH/PBF II. I'm pretty sure most were disappointed with the their first meeting in relation to the 24/7 series. I am fairly certain that a rematch would not generate as much money as the first and kinda think that a DLH/Cotto bout would likely generate more buys than a rematch.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(thehype @ Jan 13 2008, 04:33 AM) [snapback]374555[/snapback]

C'mon bro you should know that DLH doesn't get in line for anyone they get in line for him.
BoxingStill#1
DLH gave everything he had in the last fight,....PBF just did what he had to do to win,....Why watch another repeat of the same thing?....

OK OK OK may be PBF might turn it up and come away with a dominating performance......OR......MAYBE,...(A BIG MAYBE),...DLH might land his left Hook and have a (miracle) knockout....But then we would have to go through the pain and Bordom of watchin a third fight......

Why are these guys ducking Cotto?......Do they not understand that he is where the money is at?....Thats what the people want to see....I would love to see a Cotto and DLH.... ..any takers?.....

Golden boy is starting to lose his luster for selling fights, mark my words....If they take this fight it won't sell like the last one....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.