Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JAMES TONEY EYEING JIROV REMATCH
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
JAMES TONEY EYEING JIROV REMATCH

Former cruiserweight champion James "Lights Out" Toney is eager to make his return to the ring to prove that he's the only legitimate fighter in the heavyweight division and he thinks that Vassiliy Jirov would be the perfect stepping-stone to embark on what could be his last shot at the heavyweight title.

read more

About five years too late. It's really too bad that Toney doesn't have enough discipline to get himself into fighting shape. I personally don't think he should be fighting in the heavyweight division as it's clear that he just doesn't crack hard enough to hurt those big boys and it appears as though his weight prevents him from being active enough to outpoint them. That being said, if guys like Toney and Byrd and some of the smaller heavyweights would move down to the cruiserweight division, I actually think there could be some competitive, entertaining fights made with cruiserweights like David Haye, Jean-Marc Mormeck and O'Neil Bell.
BigJuicyHog
Not to mention that Jirov moved back down to cruiser where he can be a legit contender.
dj necrogenic
Toney is too slow and plodding at heavyweight to make a difference. I wasnt too impressed with Jirov at heavyweight either,... If this fight comes off I doubt anyone cares.
The CEO
Their first fight is one of my favorites...would have paid to see it if I had known it was gonna be that strong a battle...

THIS one.....uhhhhh......wouldn't pay to see it due to my disappointment in Toney...but watch...it'll probably end up being entertaining as Hell...lol

to James...either be professional and go for it...or retire. Don't do any more damage to your rep....
BGv2.0
The only thing JT is eying is Jirov being hurt in headgear while sparring Flores!

Everybody knows Jirov's brutal 3 fights with JT, Mesi and Moorer took years off his fighting career. I really thought after the long layoff...this fat snake oil salesman would finally set his ass on the couch for good! I see I was wrong.

I'm so sick of this fat little farce at HW.....I say give the guy and his fans what they want.....stick him in with Wlad, let him get one more huge payday and an ugly, brutal KO loss and get him out of the picture once and for all!
TheWhiteBuffalo
What a total waste of time. Toney will edge out Jirov and then try stepping up in 2009? Gimme a break. Other than hardcore fight fans, this fight has no appeal at all.
rusty_trombone
Toney is ridiculous. rolleyes.gif
BrutalBodyShots
This fight would only interest me if it were at 200 pounds... and that would mean Toney would be in fighting shape, in which case he wouldn't be wasting his time with Jirov.

Point being, this fight doesn't interest me.

Jerry Springer
Meh. He's got to fight someone. A Jirov rematch might make ESPN2.
BigJuicyHog
Im hearing rumors of Toney- Williamson now. Also there are Ruiz-McCline rumors.
JackSlack
James was a great fighter at one point in his career, but that time is long gone.
Toney has a serious eating disorder and once he is through completely with his career, he will shoot up to past 300 in no time, as he may go over that limit even now.
About 6 years ago I saw him at the Sahara buffet in Vegas, and it was amazing at the quantity of food he put down, roast beef, baked chicken, fried chicken, lasagna, mashed potatoes and gravy, greens loaded with butter, potato salad, french fries, corn with butter, casserole, enchiladas, rice and beans, ice cream, and about a half dozen glasses of milk.
The guy ate for a solid hour, and I'm not exaggerating.
BigJuicyHog
Whats amazing is that he was ever able to fight a middleweight. The dude ate himself out of too many divisions (including HW) and a chance at legitimate greatness.
buford54
I like both fighters alot, but James needs to deal with his non-boxing issues before fighting again.
He can't lose any weight because of his outrageous appetite, and he's been caught on Roids twice. I really wanted to believe the whole Nanodrolene thing with his shoulder needing to heal...but that second time ruined it for me.
The guy has too many issues.
I love Jirov as a fighter, but he never should have gone to HW. I know the money was better there and he probably made more in his few HW fights than his whole career prior. He really needs to take a tune-up at Cruiser to see if he's still got it. If he does, he needs to tell Toney that the fight will be at 200 lbs. Toney can't lose that weight, sadly. So the whole discussion is really a moot point.
BGv2.0
If the Williamson fight is true....that's not a push over fight for coming off of such a long layoff.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(JackSlack @ Jan 15 2008, 10:49 AM) [snapback]374835[/snapback]
About 6 years ago I saw him at the Sahara buffet in Vegas, and it was amazing at the quantity of food he put down, roast beef, baked chicken, fried chicken, lasagna, mashed potatoes and gravy, greens loaded with butter, potato salad, french fries, corn with butter, casserole, enchiladas, rice and beans, ice cream, and about a half dozen glasses of milk.
The guy ate for a solid hour, and I'm not exaggerating.

Riiight. I bet you SAW all of that. You must have been sitting right at the table with him to be able to see the butter on his food and such. And counting the glasses of beverage he had as well? You're either a stalker or full of shit. Which is it?

TheWhiteBuffalo
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 15 2008, 11:59 PM) [snapback]374901[/snapback]
Riiight. I bet you SAW all of that. You must have been sitting right at the table with him to be able to see the butter on his food and such. And counting the glasses of beverage he had as well? You're either a stalker or full of shit. Which is it?

Now...now...Brutal. Maybe the guy is a nutritionist and had a legitimate reason for counting the glasses of 2% milk James drank? Or maybe he is, in fact, a stalker who happens to be concerned about James' caloric intake? Or maybe the guy is full of shit and he just wasted 43 seconds of my time.

At the very least.....it made me laugh.
JackSlack
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 15 2008, 10:59 PM) [snapback]374901[/snapback]

Neither one, fellas.
I notice that you are from the same town that my good friend referee and former amateur champion and Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, Dick Tiger, Emile Griffith, and Carlos Ortiz sparring partner Ron Lipton is from.
Ron runs Snoop's Gym now, and is a Great Ambassador for the sport.
Karl Hegman here, and Ron can vouch for me from the cyberboxingzone as we have corresponded on technique, and swapped many a tape and anectode together.
I am a former amateur champion myself, and now the newest writer here.
I saw that go down with James just as I have told it, nothing more and nothing less.
James is a real nice fella, a good guy and credit to the sport.
I've been in the ring with a few World Champions in one capacity or another myself, but not with James.
I have written for fightbeat and the CBZ, and my work in is the World Boxing Hall of Fame as well.
I am really glad to be here on fighthype, and am not getting into any flame wars, had enough of that on my previous site.
I will have something good coming up in the near future on 2004 Olympic alternate Austin Trout hopefully, remember that name folks, and thanks for the positive feedback on my piece on Vanes Martirosyan.
Yours in boxing,
KH
JackSlack
Whatever, bro.
I don't get it as Ben can vouch for my credentials as well, and I have admired his journalistic efforts also throughout the years.
I'm on the team bro, and let's take Fighthype to the next level, ok?
No need for LOL remarks, now is there?
TheWhiteBuffalo
I notice that you are from the same town that my good friend referee and former amateur champion and Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, Dick Tiger, Emile Griffith, and Carlos Ortiz sparring partner Ron Lipton is from.
Ron runs Snoop's Gym now, and is a Great Ambassador for the sport.
Karl Hegman here, and Ron can vouch for me from the cyberboxingzone as we have corresponded on technique, and swapped many a tape and anectode together.
I am a former amateur champion myself, and now the newest writer here.
I saw that go down with James just as I have told it, nothing more and nothing less.
James is a real nice fella, a good guy and credit to the sport.
I've been in the ring with a few World Champions in one capacity or another myself, but not with James. I have written for fightbeat and the CBZ, and my work in is the World Boxing Hall of Fame as well.
I am really glad to be here on fighthype, and am not getting into any flame wars, had enough of that on my previous site.
I will have something good coming up in the near future on 2004 Olympic alternate Austin Trout hopefully, remember that name folks, and thanks for the positive feedback on my piece on Vanes Martirosyan.
Yours in boxing,
KH

Hey Fitz,

I notice that you are from the same town that my good friend Ronnie The Barber, Ed the Ears, Tommy the Tooth, and Charlie the Chin's bookie Vinnie Pascolini is from.
Ron runs the deli now, and his son is doing forty for some framejob.
White Buffalo here, and Ron can vouch for me from the old neighborhood as we have corresponded on occasion, and swapped many a job and numbers together.
I am a former enforcer myself, and now the newest capo here.
I saw that go down with Feds just as I have told it, nothing more and nothing less.
BrutalBodyShots is a real nice fella, a good guy and a real asset to this thing of ours.
I've been in business with a few of the greats in one capacity or another myself, but not with SoutheastPaw.
I have done a nickel for ElectricTwinkie and the gang, and my street cred in is top notch here at FightHype as well.
I am really glad to be here on fighthype, and am not getting into any wars, had enough of that on the inside.
I will have something good lined up in the near future for Spitshine Tommy and hopefully, make a few notes on the side, and thanks for the positive referrals for my waste management business.
Yours from Family,
WB
BrutalBodyShots
LOL good stuff.

TheWhiteBuffalo
LOL..... I just wanted to jump the bandwagon and shout out to my people for no reason at all too!
BigJuicyHog
I remember how worked up people used to get about your Botha man love and such Buffalo, but you are a cool guy. If nothing else your posts are funny.
Big Slim Sweet
The Botha posts are the best of all. I missed ya Buffalo.

If Toney can get down to 200 for this fight I'm moving to hell for the snowboarding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.