Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jeff Wald GOES OFF on Greg Leon
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Warlord
Never heard of this guy before, but apparantly he's an executive producer for The Contender, and he's apparantly a little pissed at our boy Gregory for his premature Contender results, it would seem. Funny as shit. laugh.gif

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content1702.html
Mino
QUOTE(Warlord @ Jan 15 2008, 01:18 AM) [snapback]374812[/snapback]
Never heard of this guy before, but apparantly he's an executive producer for The Contender, and he's apparantly a little pissed at our boy Gregory for his premature Contender results, it would seem. Funny as shit. laugh.gif

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content1702.html

I agree that Leon has some serious issues, but I just read that interview and I dont see what the big deal is, Cintron is trying to get a big figth for some money and there is nothing wrong with that, and he was telling the truth..There is not 1 person here that would rathher see Cotto Gomez rather than Cotto Cintron so that guy should really pipe down
moscow bear
leon is an ignorant loser. fuck him
gods son
That contender dude came off too sensitive, he must want that big fight pay cut badly!
easywork
QUOTE(Mino @ Jan 15 2008, 02:15 AM) [snapback]374817[/snapback]
I agree that Leon has some serious issues, but I just read that interview and I dont see what the big deal is, Cintron is trying to get a big figth for some money and there is nothing wrong with that, and he was telling the truth..There is not 1 person here that would rathher see Cotto Gomez rather than Cotto Cintron so that guy should really pipe down

I think he was more pissed about some recent comments made in Leon's mailbag. Personally, I'd rather see Margarito-Cintron 2. Why not let the kid have his shot? After all...Gomez is trying to get a big fight for some money too and there's nothing wrong with that...there's certainly nothing "atrocious" about it (at least not as "atrocious" as Mayweather fighting Baldomir).

Chi-Town
QUOTE(gods son @ Jan 15 2008, 04:46 AM) [snapback]374823[/snapback]
That contender dude came off too sensitive, he must want that big fight pay cut badly!

Exactly, he's pissed because Greg is fuckin up his money. Don't know what he's talking about as far as Greg getting credintials though...he's wearing one every time I've seen him at a fight/weigh-in.
buford54
I honestly don't see the big deal. All that Leon did was print Cintron's words. I'm sure Wald hates G anyway though, because G puts those spoilers out there without putting a spoiler alert in the title.
That is a really crummy thing to do. Borderline tabloid journalism.
G is very careful to lock his text so you can't cut and paste it, and to protect all of his interviews so that he keeps it exclusive...yet Wald is producing a show that relies on keeping people watching every week, and G goes and spoils that just to take publicity for his site. That is low. I would probably have some pent up anger towards him as well.
I'm sure the leak about the Gomez fight is just the straw that broke his back.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I really dont think this is the only thing Wald is mad at Leon about. Leon did leak the final two for the first two seasons of the Contender. He also leaked the third season as well, but so did boxingconfidential. Leon has also bashed the contender before, and maybe this was just the final straw. If Wald did file a lawsuit, I dont know how it would go, but he does have the facts that Leon leaked the contender finale before it happened. This could get interesting.
Kyle
thisneverworks
QUOTE(buford54 @ Jan 15 2008, 02:02 PM) [snapback]374852[/snapback]
G is very careful to lock his text so you can't cut and paste it

Sounds familiar
STEVENSKI
Does anyone actually visit Btalk anymore?
Byrd Man
I know a lot of places have that thing where you can't save pictures or you can't highlight text, but there's a simple easy way around that.

If you're in Firefox, just go into the options temporarily turn off Javascript or whatever, and then highlight the shit, and then copy it and then set the java shit back on.

Then go wherever you want and paste it.

Also about how no one respects G and he doesn't get credentials, I'm not sure how true that is. Arum supposedly was laughing about him, but he's ALWAYS doing interviews with Leon, so...*shrug*
Byrd Man
WALD CONTACTS BOXINGTALK TO MAKE EMPTY THREAT
By G. Leon

Moments ago, an infuriated Jeff Wald, executive producer of the Contender, contacted Boxingtalk and at the top of his lungs, threatened to sue us for "every penny you got if you ever talk about another one of my fighters again." Wald continued, "we've got deep pockets over here and I don't give a f**k who you interview, don't ever talk about another one of my fighters again." That's where I hung up on him. Fortunately for Wald, he won't have to worry because the majority of HIS fighters aren't worth mentioning. One of the few who is, Sergio Mora, will have an interview posted on Boxingtalk tomorrow, and will continued to be covered, so if Wald's bite is as loud as his bark, I guess he'll be filing a frivolous suit against Boxingtalk soon. Mr. Wald's comments obviously stem from our recent interview with IBF welterweight champion Kermit Cintron, who made it clear to the boxing world that Miguel Cotto should fight him to unify their WBA and IBF titles, as opposed to fighting Alfonso Gomez of the Contender Group. Seriously, does anybody outside of Team Gomez, including Miguel Cotto, have an opinion that differs from Cintron's? I don't. Hopefully Jeff is able to find better ways to get his name on Boxingtalk in the future, because at the end of the day in my opinion, like most of HIS fighters, HE isn't worth mentioning either.
Southeastpaw
LOL
Mean Mister Mustard
No one wants to see Cotto fight Gomez except for Arum and the people of the Contender. Yeah Leon is an asshole, who cares? Let's ignore him if he's as bad as we think he is.
WindyCityP
It's not just Leon Wlad snapped on for comments made about the bs fight Cotto vs Gomez. Link
Method
This guy is just pissed b/c the industry is calling bullshit on these PREtenders getting title shots. They flat don't deserve them.

As for spoilers on the reality show. That's here nor there. I mean, I don't watch the Contender, but I can see where some folks, obviously ones that are producing the show, would be pissed about results being leaked, but at the same time, shouldn't they be looking for the source of the leaks? I mean, all involved are forced to sign confidentiality agreements, so who the fuck is leaking the stuff. Start with the lawsuits there, because a lawsuit against Greg for reporting what he's 'hearing' is FRIVOLOUS. Bet your ass that Mark Burnette, producer of Survivor, would have sued whoever breached the confidentiality agreements, but going after someone who has no contractual obligation not to report what he's hearing is friv.
Byrd Man
So am I to understand that Jeff Wald threatened you because you wrote something negative about one of his fighters? Based on that, should I assume he has similarly threatened every other major boxing publication currently circulating? If he can't take criticism, then I think he should have thought twice before taking the sport of boxing into the laughable reality show aesthetic. I think my grandmother could have beaten Gatti in his last fight, only she would know better than to call out Miguel Cotto. The Contender is fine. It gives young fighters solid opportunities that they would not have otherwise been presented with. But please, 1) Manfredo didn't deserve to be on a Joe Calzaghe undercard 2) Bika had already twice proven he could not compete with the best before even finding his way to the show 3) Grady Brewer....where is he? 0. When names like Manfredo or Gomez are mentioned, lets not get confused, it should be in the context of the show, not in the context of Miguel Cotto or Joe Calzaghe. And lastly, Wald says to never mention another one of his fighters again? Not too smart when the media remains their sole lifeline for hype. How else are they going to prove they belong in the ring with champions? In the ring? ~justin

Leon's Response: Jeff Wald is a tool, but one who obviously must have some kind of respect for Boxingtalk's impact, my ability to interview a fighter nobody has spoken to in a while, and my opinion in general. After all, it prompted him to call me on my cell phone cursing over it. Poor little Jeff didn't appreciate the logic behind one champion fighting the other because it would hurt his pockets, period point blank. How's that for reality?

Wasn't David Banks a fighter from "the contender"? HaHaHaHa. OOOOPPPPS, am I gonna be Sued? -Mike

Leon's Response: You might get hung over a balcony by your ankles for that one, be careful.

Jeff Wald is a typical spoiled rich man, that when things don't go his way, he tries to push people around with the, I'm rich tactic, but what he doesn't know is, that we here will unite and fight this spoiled man. Sorry if your feelings where hurt Jeff, because nobody wants to see Cotto waste one of his dates on a easy spanking session. For the safety of your fighter Alfonso Gomez, keep him away from Cotto before he gets hurt really bad, we here want to see real fights, there for Cintron and Cotto is a real fight, not a ,show up to get dismantle and pick up your last check fight with Gomez. Cotto and Cintron must fight eachother to unify the tittles and to give us a real treat of power,boxing,grit,and determination. I rather see Cotto hit the heavy bag and spar than see him hurt Gomez really bad. Jeffrey Sommers ( birthname) always wants to sue someone when they mention his name,like Luke Ford did on his website, whiner. BOXINGTALK IS KING. Cre_Ace Brooklyn.

Leon's Response: He didn't even try to talk, he called yelling and screaming. I've spoken with many people who can't stand him and think he's an obnoxious jerkoff. His phone call makes it hard for me to argue with them. Alfonso Gomez is a solid fighter and I'd love to see him matched with somebody like Andre Berto.
thehype
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 17 2008, 04:28 AM) [snapback]375001[/snapback]
Haha, I always laugh at that photoshop of Cuntron. Very nice laugh.gif

Cuntron laugh.gif .

BTW "It pays to be a member" guys laugh.gif.
Method
If Wald did file a lawsuit, I dont know how it would go, but he does have the facts that Leon leaked the contender finale before it happened

I'll tell you exactly how it would go...IT WOULD GET LAUGHED OUT OF COURT!

The only law suit having any merit would be the execs of The Contender vs Whoever breached their confidentiality agreements by leaking the info to Greg (and anyone else). Greg has no affiliation whatsoever with the Contender series, and is bound by no confidentiality contract. Any source of the info, would be. They leak to him. He does what he does - reports it. Nothing to sue over.

After reading Windy City's link to boxingconfidential and the SAME Wlad calling them up and bitching at them, saying basically the same shit - I mean, this guy seems like a little bitch. He goes out of his way to contact these sights directly, and then, in the same breath, turns around and talks about how nobody listens to them and how inconsequential to the sport they are. Well, if you really believe that, why are your feathers so ruffled over the comments. Obviously thios guy reads it and cares if he's on the horn with the sites the day they print the stories.
MarzB
Greg is getting way too full of himself but here he has a point. I didn't care for him leaking the Contender results because while I know that most of the boxers are average (and I can't stand that punk azz Mora from season one. Please someone knock him the fuk out a'la Banks..) I do think the success of the show is important to getting boxing back in the mainstream (although that'll never happen again at this rate)..

That said, Greg was right on this one but as mentioned, I'm sure this stems from all the other previous things. My problem with Greg though is that (and I have no proof of this just a feeling) him leaking results is probably his way to spite THE CONTENDER for probably not granting him something. He's kissed way too much lesser quality ass (ie, EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with MONTE BARRET?? WTF) for me not to believe otherwise..

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jan 17 2008, 10:43 AM) [snapback]375036[/snapback]
My problem with Greg though is that (and I have no proof of this just a feeling) him leaking results is probably his way to spite THE CONTENDER for probably not granting him something. He's kissed way too much lesser quality ass (ie, EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with MONTE BARRET?? WTF) for me not to believe otherwise..

Ha! So true. I have that feeling as well. If a fighter or promoter talks to Greg, if they grant him "exclusive" interviews, he props them up endlessly. If they don't, he trashes them.

Greg always seemed like a first class prick, but you can't sue the man for that.
Byrd Man
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND it continues...

He should just let it go....I realize people are gonna continue to write about this and continue to kiss his ass to get into the mailbag, but he should just let it go...

G, Jeff Wald said he would sue you for every penny if you ever mention one of his fighters again, Is this guy serious, what is he going to sue for Slander, by telling the truth that no one wants to see Cotto fight Gomez when Cintron, Clottey, Williams, and Margarito are out there, is he gonna sue you for Defamation of Character for his fighters, no, that was done by Sergio opting not to fight Taylor when he had the chance because of THE VENUE THAT THE CHAMPION, I REPEAT, CHAMPION PICKED. Look G there is a reason the show is called the CONTENDER because thatís all they are, lol, never CHAMPIONS, they are a bunch of chumps and pions put together, they are CHUMPIONS G, the only fighter I like is Gomez, the other fighters were already on the scene b4 the contender like forbes, corrington, and bika, so who have they made a star G, look in the mirror Mr. Wald, sue your fucking self for being an asshole, G you were much to pleasant to his azz for calling on your phone with the rah-rah, huh, a G what do you think would happen if you really started to criticize the show every other day, eventually people might start to listen, this is an opinion based theme here, there record speaks for itself, K9 got banged out, banks did the bankhead, Mora snaked away, and Manfredo is somehow still getting fights after LOOKING LIKE A COMPLETE AMATEUR IN AN EMBARRASING LOSS TO THE PRINCE OF WALES, Keep doing what you are doing man and even if all the mailbaggers donít agree with each other at least we have a sight where we get to display our opinions, where else put here, EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT A MEMBER, YOU CANT BEAT IT, so G you donít have to say a word, let the mailbaggers voice those feelings, I am sure by now you know I donít have a problem VOICING MY OPINION WITH VOLUME, lol Sorry couldnít help sticking Chuck D in there. Whats up to Miguel from Commerce and Brad from Australia , Brad I like your opinions, keep them coming man. Joe Mac from DC-Joseph G. McNair Jr.

Leon's Response: I appreciate how you're sticking up for me, but as much of a tool as Jeff Wald is, the show has done a tremendous job of getting the kids they sign a GREAT deal of exposure, so much so that HBO can't seem to keep their fighters off the air. Gomez, Manfredo and every other name that's fought in a big fight off of the series wouldn't be in that big fight without the Contender group. It is what it is. My thing is this, imagine how much more they could do for the sport if they actually looked to sign elite fighters and make a series. This would likely lessen the execs money, but the product they'd be pushing would be top notch, something that could enable them to get the series back on free network TV. Imagine a second season on NBC with nothing but former world champions or top world rated contenders. Less sound effects, entire fights and world rated contenders and the contender could take it to another level.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.