Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calzaghe Backs Away From Hopkins, Opts To Face Jones in Wales
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Method
Watch.

This fight was supposed to be signed, sealed and delivered by the middle of LAST week. In fact, Team Calzaghe had the contracts as early as a week and a half ago (at least two Fridays ago).

Now we have Jones coming out saying if Hopkins/Calzaghe isn't done by the weekend, he's going to Wales to fight Calzaghe.
Bottom line is Joe & Frank would be much more comfortable staying home and facing Jones.

At this point, Roy has no leverage, which is why he agreed to be compensated a % of PPV upside for the Trinidad fight (as opposed to any guarantee, c'mon, you thought his cooperation for the promotion was genuine?), and this is exactly why he'll head to Wales to take the short end versus Calzaghe (the short end vs Calzaghe is still the best payday for him).

Team Calzaghe probably sees Roy as much less likely a threat, given what he's been through in recent outings (whether its true or not).

In my opinion, it would be a bitch move to fade from a Hopkins fight after all the shit Joe talks/talked, but it would also be SO typical of Calzaghe.

On the other hand, can't say it's a bad idea to fight in Wales, as the British pound currently trades at a premium to the dollar, so the fight has more value over in Wales.

I hope I'm wrong here. I hope the boxing public demands Calzaghe/Hopkins. However, Team Calzaghe has been sitting on these contracts for FAR too long not to have this fight announced. What's more, given how long they've sat on the contract, why would they sign it just 3 days before Jones/Trinidad?

This sport f*cking sucks.
thehype
Agreed. That would be a bitch move. That's why you gotta start watching more MMA. You rarely see bitch moves like that (although Tito Ortiz has been known to pull a few in his day). LOL.
PR316
If this is true, then this sucks. If anything, Calzaghe should be ENCOURAGED to take this fight by what he saw from Hopkins against Wright. I thought I read somewhere that Hopkins was interviewed and that he pretty much said the deal was done. And then I also heard Frank Warren on fight news saying the deal was done.

This has to be bullshit. But I guess we'll have to wait for an official announcement. I was anticipating the announcement for this fight by around the end of this week to early next week.
Mean Mister Mustard
I would think that Calzaghe would rather face Hopkins considering that Hopkins appeared slow against the tricky southpaw Wright. Plus Hops is the lightheavyweight champion while Jones is pretty much considered to be done as a fighter.

At this point I'm sure Calzaghe thinks he is unbeatable, coming off his best win against and undefeated younger foe, so he nust feel that he can easily handle a soon to be 43 year old. Then again this is Joe Calzaghe we are talking about and this is no ordinary 43 year old in Bernard Hopkins.
D-MARV
I dont know how true this is because I just read that the fight hasn't benn finalized because they are checking into where the fight will take place.
I also read that the fight will be officially anounced @ the RJJ/Tito fight. I guess they are trying to hype up a possible Winner Vs Winner fight! But this is boxing, who knows what is going on!
WindyCityP
Big bitch move! wtf.gif . This guy goes back and forth, he gains respect then he blows it over and over again. It's still not final though and money has to talk here. I doubt he's scared of Hopkins, maybe it's all just something to get GBP to sell out a little more.
Method
Yes, Method excercised some creative freedom with the title of the thread beacause Method believes something shady is going on w Team Calzaghe. The fight should have been anounced LAST WEEK. I think Team Calzaghe wants to let Jones/Tito take place so they can try and use it as leverage to perhaps change the terms w Hopkins (that is, IF they're truly interested in fighting him next), OR because they'd rather stay home and let a diminished Tito or Jones come to Wales.

I could DEFINITELY be wrong. I hope I am wrong. But something ain't right.
Mean Mister Mustard
I don't think he is as much of a bitch now as he was before. The reason being that he has just come off the biggest win of his career and I am pretty sure his confidence is soaring right now.
jlupi
Agreed. That would be a bitch move. That's why you gotta start watching more MMA. You rarely see bitch moves like that (although Tito Ortiz has been known to pull a few in his day). LOL. >>>>

well the fighters in a private co. dont exactly have a lot of choice. If they did they would use the risk/reward formula also.

on a diff note I read on sherdog that the UFC was jacking there prices to $45.
streetlion1
Now in terms of responding to the quote of boxing "sucking".....MMA sucks in my opinion. The 2 cant be compared!! Boxing is a sport which requires much more skill! MMA is a glorified street fight....now boxing has its bad fights too...but who wants to watch 2 guys roll around on the ground for 3 rounds....or a bunch of 30 second worthless fights?! That is a whole other argument all together. Calzaghe backing out of the B-Hop fight wouldnt be a surprise to me...he knows what Bernard brings to the table and RJJ offers much less of a risk!! Calzaghe is a overrated fighter and doesnt want to be exposed against Hopkins....if this fight against B-Hop doesnt take place he'll remind me of PBF someone who doesnt have the heart to risk everything against the best! thumbsdown_anim.gif
Spyder
Why is the choice to fight for MORE money a bitch move?

Now if Joe chose to fight an EASIER fight for LESS money...kinda like Hopkins did when he CHOSE to fight Morrade Hakkar over Roy Jones for SIGNIFICANTLY LESS money...then I'd consider it a bitch move. But's that's not the case.

Just curious...
salvador
I think that Calzaghe's holding out on the off chance Tito wins. If Tito beat Jones, Tito-Calzaghe would be the biggest paycheck for both of them by far. I really think that Jones is going to be so drained on Saturday that if he fights again he'll insist that it's at 175 (if not higher).

Method
From Maxboxing this AM...

Then there is the issue of Bernard Hopkins-Joe Calzaghe, which Schaefer says was about 99.0-percent done for about, "the last month-and-a-half."

So what's the hold up?

"I think it's just a matter of Frank (Warren) and Joe and their team not wanting to pull the trigger for whatever reason," Schaefer would explain. "The contracts were out, little corrections came back, we sent them back and now I'm being told that I can expect a signed contract. So I do hope that's going to happen in the next day or so."

It was speculated that this bout would take place April 12th at the Mandalay Bay on HBO Pay-Per-View, but Schaefer says all of that is up in the air.

"The decision is if it's going to be live on HBO or if it's going to be on pay-per-view. So currently there's a lot of moving targets on that as well."

Another source would tell Maxboxing that this bout could be taking place on April 19th.

Thing is, Trinidad/Jones was signed before a date or venue was secured, so what the fuck is the hold up here.

Also, Im curious as to why this would be on HBO Live as opposed to PPV. I mean, don't gt me wrong, I'd take it for free cuz it will be in HD (but truth is I'll likely be there), but I would think in order to get both fighters the kinda of payday they are gonna want, it would have to be PPV. I guess we'll see.
BoxingStill#1

"IF" this is all true, then it would look real bad on Calzaghie's half,....but like most of you all have said I would'nt be suprised because he really does'nt want to fight over here anyway,...In return Bernard does'nt want to fight over there! That would be the only reason an agreement wouldnt be made. The boxing community should really push this fight. It is the fight of the year, other than a Cotto and PBF, or DLH.....

Maxy
I don't really know what to believe at the moment but I was listening to the radio yesterday and Frank Warren was on live. He said the fight is done, sealed....he said an announcement will be made by the weekend and that Calzaghe will be flying to America to embark on a few press conferences...
STEVENSKI
I am a Nard fan but I don't see why Joe should fight Nard in America as Joe is the draw & it would be a bigger event & payday for both in the UK.

Nard is old school so why not go all the way & take that show on the road like great fighters used to?
salvador
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 16 2008, 05:57 PM) [snapback]374956[/snapback]
I am a Nard fan but I don't see why Joe should fight Nard in America as Joe is the draw & it would be a bigger event & payday for both in the UK.

Nard is old school so why not go all the way & take that show on the road like great fighters used to?

I don't know if there's more money there, but I'm with you in that I'd rather see it in England. I love the British fans. They bring a different level of excitement to boxing. I would think that Bernard would want to experience that - assuming he isn't afraid of getting a bum ref.
Method
Fuck that. Bring it to the states. No one ever gets a fair shake unless two Americans are on display fighting each other.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(Method @ Jan 16 2008, 05:28 PM) [snapback]374961[/snapback]
Fuck that. Bring it to the states. No one ever gets a fair shake unless two Americans are on display fighting each other.

I agree...Money= U.K

Recongnition and Respect= STATES

On B-hops part, it would'nt hurt him in any way if the fight took place over seas. It would proberbly boost his motivation. Everyone is waiting for his demise....Before every fight we think "Is this the one?", "Will this be the end to the old man?" .... Well he is a legend, nothing can hurt him at this point in his career. Calzaghie has to do more than beat a bunch of bums wothout losing. The only solid compitition he has seen was with Kessler,......Lacey?...Eh just something to get our attention for sure.... Don't get me wrong, he is a very healthy skilled Boxer,...

The ONLY way calzaghie will win is by pure accumulated punches.......and averaged out by lands....

Method
Latest from fightnews...

Sports Network, promoter of Joe Calzaghe, has urged fight fans to wait until an official announcement regarding the proposed fight between Calzaghe and Bernard Hopkins before making any travel arrangements...

Hmmm. The promotor saying "Hold up" is the only official word so far. Been sitting on the contract for two weeks now.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Method @ Jan 17 2008, 07:07 PM) [snapback]375135[/snapback]
Latest from fightnews...
Hmmm. The promotor saying "Hold up" is the only official word so far. Been sitting on the contract for two weeks now.

According to Kevin Iole, this fight will be a go for April in Vegas. I guess Warren is going to make an official announcement on Tuesday. We'll see.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-c...o&type=lgns
buford54
I would not be surprised at all if Joe and Frank are sitting on the contract to see who wins the fight this weekend. I bet they have an offer sitting and waiting, to have the winner come fight Joe in Wales. If the winner says he'll do it, they'll take that fight, claiming that this fight is a bigger fight.

The reason it would be a bitch move for Joe to take the easier fight for more money is that is what he has done his whole career. It's okay to do that when you've made a career of taking on the toughest challenges available...but Joe has consistently taken the easiest challenges available, and gotten paid plenty for it.

It's not as if he needs the money at this point, and he is talking about 2 fights and out. So having given the fans 2 marquee fights in his entire career, it would be nice if his last 2 fights were for legacy.
IMO, if he is to opt for the Jones/Tito fight instead of Hopkins, then he's leaving the legacy of taking the easy road.

The Original MrFactor
Well it looks like Cal just got options, with the RJJ win over Tito. I'd pick Cal over Roy too. Roy just doesnt work enough in a fight to show that he can beat a guy with Calzaghe's workrate. Evidenced by the Johnson fight. Johnson just kept throwing and pressured Roy until he folded. Cal aint gonna KO RJJ, but he will have moments where you may think later that if only he had pulled the trigger...
BigG
I agree.

Calzaghe will NOT KO Jones with those pitty pat slappy shots. He mgiht outwork him...but KO him...NO.

I think it would still be a pretty good fight. Competitive.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Method @ Jan 16 2008, 04:28 PM) [snapback]374961[/snapback]

Exactly Method,

Bernard shouldn't have to worry about biased refs like Mickey Vann or Dave Parris over there. John Coyle was the only British ref that I liked. (Well, him and Harry Gibbs.)

Jack
Method
B-Talk reports - Hopkins Calzaghe a done. Rich Schaefer confirms Calzaghe's hancock on the contract. Tell Don to turn his plane around. April 19th. Free HBO. Venue not named.

No need to keep the thread open.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.