Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather to Vacate??
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
The Original MrFactor
If he fights DLH, how can that be a sanctioned fight?? DLH hasnt fought at WW in years. Shouldnt Mayweather be stripped of his title if all the rumors of DLH/Money May2 are true? Its brings the point that Money may STILL hasnt fought a prime top 5 WW. How long can the fanboys defend this? He's no alltime great... I guess when he said vacation, he meant from his title...
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jan 18 2008, 02:07 AM) [snapback]375167[/snapback]
Its brings the point that Money may STILL hasnt fought a prime top 5 WW.

And I doubt he ever will.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jan 18 2008, 03:13 AM) [snapback]375171[/snapback]
And I doubt he ever will.

WTF did you forget that Judah was the undisputed Welterweight Champion of the World??? I know, I know he lost the ring title to Baldomir.Mayweather didn't become ring champ at 147 for his cockiness.
AussieLad
QUOTE(xxxxxx @ Jan 18 2008, 08:28 AM) [snapback]375175[/snapback]
WTF did you forget that Judah was the undisputed Welterweight Champion of the World??? I know, I know he lost the ring title to Baldomir.Mayweather didn't become ring champ at 147 for his cockiness.

Did you even read your own sentence? Baldomir is a c+ fighter at best, and Judah lost to him, together they add up to diddly squat

I think mayweather is the best p4p, but in terms of accomplishment at welter he is not no.1 in the division

xxxxxx
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jan 18 2008, 07:03 AM) [snapback]375177[/snapback]
Did you even read your own sentence? Baldomir is a c+ fighter at best, and Judah lost to him, together they add up to diddly squat

I think mayweather is the best p4p, but in terms of accomplishment at welter he is not no.1 in the division

Ring got him #1 read that.
D-MARV
QUOTE(xxxxxx @ Jan 18 2008, 06:34 AM) [snapback]375178[/snapback]

The Ring dont have him #1 for no reason! Im a Mayweather fan but I must say I dont like the fact that he is fighting De La Hoya again. Floyd is all about the money. I really wanted him to fight Cotto.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 18 2008, 08:50 AM) [snapback]375179[/snapback]
The Ring dont have him #1 for no reason! Im a Mayweather fan but I must say I dont like the fact that he is fighting De La Hoya again. Floyd is all about the money. I really wanted him to fight Cotto.

I agree.
JD
If we look at Floyd's last two fights, and his next fight - none of them will be occurring against a top 2, 3, 4, 5...10 welterweight, and that is the issue people are currently having. Three fights, not one against a top welterweight contender.

I think the fans would be very happy with Cotto or Williams or Margarito or Mosley or Cintron...hell, I am sure they would even be happy to see him fight a guy like Clottey.

I mean, the blame is not squarely on Floyd's shoulders...it seems like it is the way the game has become. When I hear Mayweather talk about wanting the big money fights and not wanting this guy or that guy, I can almost accept it because of how good he is, it frustrates me, I hate it and will always call bullshit...but at least he is a freaking marvel in the ring. When I start hearing guys like Kermit Cintron and Paul Malignaggi talk like that...that is when I just cannot take it anymore. While our sport is going through a resurgence, it is also pretty fucked and needs some serious fixing.
BigG
I have no interest in seeing Floyd fight Clottey or Cintron. Two of the most overrated WW's out there today.

Clottey IMO is not much better than Herman Ndoujo. I've only been impressed with his performance over a SHOT Corrales. Clottey hit him with everything and couldn't stop him.

Cintron has beaten no one really. He stepped up once and got beatdown.

Cotto & Williams are the fights Mayweather needs to take.

Margarito would be very good tune up.
JD
I think you missed the entire point of the post...LOL.

That's ok.

This idea of conceding W's to the other guys in the division is part of the problem. Be a champ, clean out the division...to do so, fighting the aforementioned in no particular order is what it would entail. I would rather see ANY of those fights at 147 than another fight against Oscar...in short, I would rather see Floyd clean up the division and do something really special, than cherry pick big money fights...what fan wouldn't?

Clottey no better than Ngoudjo? LOL
BigG
LOL..I got the point...but Mayweather seems to be ont he verge of retirement and I want him to close out his career figthing the best since he is in his prime. Cotto has said that he is up for the challenge...but instead he gets Alfonso Gomez and Mayweather gets a De La Hoya rematch which isn't so bad but I'm sure all of us would rather see him fight a young great fighter in his prime. And I honestly think Clottey is in the level of the Herman Ngdojos of the world. Actually, Clottey would be a good tune up stay-busiy type fight...but like I said, I'd like to see Floyd close out his career against Williams and Cotto...guys with good chances to beat him.
BigG
And I honestly wouldnt mind seeing a Margarito-Floyd fight even. Margairto might pose some problems..
JD
The point is, that Floyd, as welterweight champ, should clean out the division. Legacy wise, that would mean a lot more than money fights...that is the point.

In order to clean out the division, it would require fighting men that you (as in Big G) are willing to concede a victory to. Having been watching the sport for as long as I have, I will not concede victories to anyone and say a guy does not need to fight a top contender because it is a given he will end up with a W. I may pick him, and may even call it a mismatch in my opinion, but it does not mean the fight should not happen.

I think there are more than just Cotto and Williams with a chance to beat Floyd at 147. Does it mean I think they all would? Hell no...but they have a chance. Cotto...Williams...Margarito...Mosley...all have a chance, to discount any of them is silly.

BigG
I completely agree JD but right now Cotto-Floyd makes the most sense....Cotto...IMO..is a guy that truly has a shot. And you could argue that the comp he beat at WW is more impressive than Mayweathers. Mosley/Quintana/Judah > Baldo/Judah/Mitchell/Hatton...

I would love to see Mayweather fight the most deserving challengers...Williams, Margarito, etc..but something tells me Floyd ain't staying in the sport much longer. And before he retires, I'd love to see him fight Cotto who could give him flashbacks of the Castillo fight. If he retires without fighting Cotto or Williams, I think alot of us would be dissapointed. And I do like Floyd. I dont blame Floyd for fighting DLH again...no one turns down a fight with DLH.
JD
I personally do not give Cotto the best chance of beating him, but that is neither here nor there, I think he is the most deserving of a fight against the welterweight champion.

You can easily argue that Cotto's resume at 147 is better than Floyd's at that weight. Miguel Cotto is the CLEAR #1 contender right now.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jan 18 2008, 12:07 AM) [snapback]375167[/snapback]
If he fights DLH, how can that be a sanctioned fight?? DLH hasnt fought at WW in years. Shouldnt Mayweather be stripped of his title if all the rumors of DLH/Money May2 are true? Its brings the point that Money may STILL hasnt fought a prime top 5 WW. How long can the fanboys defend this? He's no alltime great... I guess when he said vacation, he meant from his title...

Zab Judah was 1 fight removed from being the undisputed champion when Floyd fought him and was still in the top 5. Second, DLH is an emeritus champion at 147 which means he can get a title shot when he wants. This fight won't happen at welterweight anyway...Oscar was only gonna return to welterweight to fight one of the other top welterweights...If he already knows Floyd will fight him at 154 he has no reason to kill himself to make 147. Making welter would be really hard for him and I just don't see him doing that just for the fuck of it when he doesn't have to.
Method
Cotto & Williams are the fights Mayweather needs to take.

Margarito would be very good tune up.

Cotto has NO better shot at beating Mayweather than Margarito or Williams.

Calling Margarito a tuneup for Floyd in route to a challenge like Cotto or Williams (as inferred) is laughable.

Williams squeeked by Margarito in a competitive bout, and I'd take both Margarito and Williams over Cotto (probably favor Margarito over Cotto more than Williams over Cotto - not so much so that I care to argue it).

Also with regards about Floyd on the verge of retirement. I mean, he's not retiring because he's old, tired, and done al he could do. He dangles retirement out there like a negotiating ploy. Like, he's done all he could do, so, "if you want to see me fight, bring on the cash cows, whether they can hang with me or not".
streetlion1
The announcement of this PBF-DLH rematch just pisses me off! PBF should've proved how good he says he is and fought a Cotto or a PW instead his coward ass goes for the money once again! I already didnt really like him....now I am totally convinced that he is a Duck-artist and we'll never get to see him fight the divisions best. P4P king....Yeah right....over-rated-lets-duck-everyone-P4P king thumbsdown_anim.gif ! I hope the impossible happens and DLH puts his ass on the floor!
Big Slim Sweet
I understand bypassing Paul Williams right now but the Cotto fight was such a natural. Both men undefeated, both coming off such high-profile, breakthrough years. It would have been a major superfight truly worthy of the hype in every way. Shit, as a fan it hurts that we won't be getting to see this fight this year (or likely ever).

I hate listening to Floyd say he's done all he can do when we all know he hasn't. PBF may be the best right now, but he doesn't act like it. He's a great, great fighter but doesn't deserve the title of 'champion'. And yes, he still hasn't fought a TRUE welterweight in their PRIME (Zab's a blown-up junior welter) and by the looks of things never will.
AussieLad
QUOTE(xxxxxx @ Jan 18 2008, 11:34 AM) [snapback]375178[/snapback]

Whoopie Doo?

Fact is floyds resume of 147 fights isnt the best in the division. They are clouding their judgement with his resume at lower weights.

It was just like them giving him no.1 at 140 after beating corley and gatti. Fighting a washed up gatti should not rate you number 1 in the division when there are guys with much better resumes at that weight.
Todd L Thomas
QUOTE(Method @ Jan 18 2008, 11:56 AM) [snapback]375193[/snapback]
Cotto has NO better shot at beating Mayweather than Margarito or Williams.

Calling Margarito a tuneup for Floyd in route to a challenge like Cotto or Williams (as inferred) is laughable.

Williams squeeked by Margarito in a competitive bout, and I'd take both Margarito and Williams over Cotto (probably favor Margarito over Cotto more than Williams over Cotto - not so much so that I care to argue it).

Also with regards about Floyd on the verge of retirement. I mean, he's not retiring because he's old, tired, and done al he could do. He dangles retirement out there like a negotiating ploy. Like, he's done all he could do, so, "if you want to see me fight, bring on the cash cows, whether they can hang with me or not".

I agree with you concerning Floyd's retirement tactics. It diffenitely makes promoters dig in their pockets to pull him into the ring.

Cotto is undefeated and so is Floyd. I feel he should polish his legacy, beat Cotto and retire undefeated. NO ONE in any weight class has ever been undefeated, beat two undefeated fighters and retire. He could potentially go down as the greatest of all time.

Floyd is on the verge of inking a rematch with De La Hoya. Why? "If it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense!" Many De La Hoya faithful feel he won the fight. Any won who knows how to score a professional fight knows Floyd won the fight. It's a big money rematch. This is a fight that could taint Oscar's legacy if he loses again.

Todd L Thomas
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jan 18 2008, 07:03 AM) [snapback]375177[/snapback]

Who do you feel is the best in this talented rich weight class? Floyd is not only the best fighter P4P but he's the best in the fight game, PERIOD. I'm not a Mayweather fan, I'm a boxing fan. I grew up with ALI as my idol. With all of Floyd's titles in different weight classes, his record and superior defensive skillz...........how could you not recognize him as the best welterweight out there. Mayweather is a complete fighter! Name 1 welterweight out there that has the total package.........defense, speed, blinding counter punch combinations, powerand ring generalship. There isn't a more complete fighter in the game in ANY weight class.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jan 18 2008, 06:38 PM) [snapback]375288[/snapback]
Whoopie Doo?

Fact is floyds resume of 147 fights isnt the best in the division. They are clouding their judgement with his resume at lower weights.

It was just like them giving him no.1 at 140 after beating corley and gatti. Fighting a washed up gatti should not rate you number 1 in the division when there are guys with much better resumes at that weight.

Ring is the best we got man.Mayweather is the CHAMPION of RING AT 147.At 140 he was never Ring Champion.Mayweather beat the man who beat THE MAN at 147 which makes him the best right now at 147 no matter what his resume says.It only takes 1 big one to become THE man.

Then at 147 he DESTROYED THE CURRENT RING CHAMP AT 140.
streetlion1
I dont beleive your P4P status can be measured on your past alone. To me he is far from great...very good....not great. The caliber of his opponents on his rise up wasnt as impressive as alot of people make it out to be. At Welterweight...NO he is not the best! Miguel Cotto's win over Shane Mosley was more impressive than PBF beating an old DLH and lil' Ricky Hatton. Lets look at the facts...Floyd since becoming a Welter has turned into a bitch all of a sudden. Turning down big paydays against Margarito and Mosley...being asked about Cotto and PW after a fight..him saying "I have nothing more to prove" then turning around to fight a little guy with no defense and a weak chin....completely avoiding a question about Cotto again..and setting up a fight with a guy he already beat and a guy who will be a year older and possibly a year slower in DLH. Watch after he beats DLH again he'll pull the "I have nothing more to prove" card then turn around and want a third fight with DLH. At welterweight he is a good fighter....but a joke overall!
xxxxxx
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 22 2008, 02:12 PM) [snapback]376011[/snapback]
I dont beleive your P4P status can be measured on your past alone. To me he is far from great...very good....not great. The caliber of his opponents on his rise up wasnt as impressive as alot of people make it out to be. At Welterweight...NO he is not the best! Miguel Cotto's win over Shane Mosley was more impressive than PBF beating an old DLH and lil' Ricky Hatton. Lets look at the facts...Floyd since becoming a Welter has turned into a bitch all of a sudden. Turning down big paydays against Margarito and Mosley...being asked about Cotto and PW after a fight..him saying "I have nothing more to prove" then turning around to fight a little guy with no defense and a weak chin....completely avoiding a question about Cotto again..and setting up a fight with a guy he already beat and a guy who will be a year older and possibly a year slower in DLH. Watch after he beats DLH again he'll pull the "I have nothing more to prove" card then turn around and want a third fight with DLH. At welterweight he is a good fighter....but a joke overall!

I understand your upset that Mayweather will not be fighting Cotto next, I also wanted to see Mayweather fight Cotto. You say Cotto beating Mosley is more impressive than beating an old De L a Hoya? Isn't Mosley older than Oscar? I know Mosley got the 2 close fights against Oscar, but I clearly scored the 2nd fight to Oscar.Maybe Mayweather will fight Cotto sometime.If he beats Cotto then who is he ducking?
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(Todd L Thomas @ Jan 19 2008, 01:53 PM) [snapback]375455[/snapback]
I agree with you concerning Floyd's retirement tactics. It diffenitely makes promoters dig in their pockets to pull him into the ring.

Cotto is undefeated and so is Floyd. I feel he should polish his legacy, beat Cotto and retire undefeated. NO ONE in any weight class has ever been undefeated, beat two undefeated fighters and retire. He could potentially go down as the greatest of all time.

Floyd is on the verge of inking a rematch with De La Hoya. Why? "If it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense!" Many De La Hoya faithful feel he won the fight. Any won who knows how to score a professional fight knows Floyd won the fight. It's a big money rematch. This is a fight that could taint Oscar's legacy if he loses again.

Chico Corrales was undefeated at 33-0
Ricky Hatton was undefeated at 43-0

If he retires right now, he's already accomplished that feat
streetlion1
QUOTE(xxxxxx @ Jan 22 2008, 12:36 PM) [snapback]376012[/snapback]
I understand your upset that Mayweather will not be fighting Cotto next, I also wanted to see Mayweather fight Cotto. You say Cotto beating Mosley is more impressive than beating an old De L a Hoya? Isn't Mosley older than Oscar? I know Mosley got the 2 close fights against Oscar, but I clearly scored the 2nd fight to Oscar.Maybe Mayweather will fight Cotto sometime.If he beats Cotto then who is he ducking?

I doubt he will EVER fight Cotto or any other top Welter....also Yeah Mosley might be older than DLH but he is in better shape and offers more of a competition at this point in there respective careers IMO. The DLH that fought Mosley isnt the same guy who fought PBF...thats obvious to anyone. Dont hold your air too long waiting for PBF to step up and fight the best...its clear he doesnt want to.....he's a damn shame!
Sugar Q
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 18 2008, 10:29 AM) [snapback]375190[/snapback]
I personally do not give Cotto the best chance of beating him, but that is neither here nor there, I think he is the most deserving of a fight against the welterweight champion.

You can easily argue that Cotto's resume at 147 is better than Floyd's at that weight. Miguel Cotto is the CLEAR #1 contender right now.

The real point is do you hear Cotto, his team, or even Bob Arum calling PBF out? NO! because they know Cotto barely got past Shane and would not have a chance against Floyd. Clean out the division or make money while leading the pack to put boxing back on the map by fighting very high profile fights and Dancing with the Stars? There is NO 147 pounder that can beat PBF right now. You guys will continue to degrade every fighter PBF fights after he beats them so whats the point. If you were Paul Williams manager would you put him in there with a fighter that you know would expose him? No, for what and I can't believe some of these guys still talking slick about Margarito. Margarito still needs to fight Clottey let lone Williams and why isn't Margarito insisting on a rematch with Clottey? Oh, that's right he didn't want Santos again either. Give me a break.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Jan 24 2008, 09:26 AM) [snapback]376238[/snapback]
The real point is do you hear Cotto, his team, or even Bob Arum calling PBF out? NO! because they know Cotto barely got past Shane and would not have a chance against Floyd. Clean out the division or make money while leading the pack to put boxing back on the map by fighting very high profile fights and Dancing with the Stars? There is NO 147 pounder that can beat PBF right now. You guys will continue to degrade every fighter PBF fights after he beats them so whats the point. If you were Paul Williams manager would you put him in there with a fighter that you know would expose him? No, for what and I can't believe some of these guys still talking slick about Margarito. Margarito still needs to fight Clottey let lone Williams and why isn't Margarito insisting on a rematch with Clottey? Oh, that's right he didn't want Santos again either. Give me a break.

laugh.gif "No 147 pounder can beat PBF right now" wtf.gif Is that why he is in a hurry to fight a REAL Welter?! He isnt tryin to lead the pack and put boxing back on the map....he is being choosey and ducking the best opponents while picking up big paydays! bottem line! Cotto has already said he is up for the challenge of fighting him...PW im sure would love to get in the ring with this guy! He wont even fight Mosley or Margarito! Whats he gonna do when DLH retires?! Probably either run or retire right behind him. Fighting the best will put boxing on the map! Not B.S. fights where $$$ is the only issue or dancing like a sissy.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 22 2008, 02:12 PM) [snapback]376011[/snapback]
Turning down big paydays against Margarito and Mosley...being asked about Cotto and PW after a fight..him saying "I have nothing more to prove" then turning around to fight a little guy with no defense and a weak chin....completely avoiding a question about Cotto again..and setting up a fight with a guy he already beat and a guy who will be a year older and possibly a year slower in DLH.

These are the facts, and they are indisputable.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Jan 24 2008, 11:26 AM) [snapback]376238[/snapback]

Why would Margarito insist on a rematch with a fighter he already beat? That would be a step back for him.

There's no bait and switch being performed here by the 'haters'. There's a clear consensus of welterweights people would like to see PBF fight: Cotto, Williams, Margarito, and in some cases Mosley. If he fights and beats them, he'll get full credit.

The argument that Mayweather would beat all these guys anyway so who cares if he ever fights them has long been dismissed.
JD
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Jan 24 2008, 10:26 AM) [snapback]376238[/snapback]

Uhhhh...yes, I have heard Cotto say he wants the Mayweather fight just as Bob Arum has said he wanted to match Cotto with Floyd. They just stopped because Floyd is on vacation now...and really only had interest in another DLH fight. To me, if a fighter says he wants someone, that is the same as "calling them out".

Why make things up? I mean, are you seriously saying you never heard Cotto mention Floyd Mayweather? Same with Arum? LOL

Cotto: "Mayweather Always Makes Excuses"
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=11683

Cotto: "“Floyd (Mayweather, Jr.) has the biggest name, so I’m going after him."
http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxing-arti...ve-fans-thanks/

Arum Wants De La Hoya, Mayweather For Cotto
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=11270

You heard Cotto and Arum's comments after the Mosley fight...you heard their comments after the Mayweather - Hatton fight. Pretending that they never mentioned Floyd's name doesn't make it true...it just makes you look like you aren't paying attention or prefer to ignore reality. This doesn't change the fact that I think Floyd handles Cotto without problem, but the reality is, Cotto and Arum want the fight.

No one degraded anyone. Mayweather's win against Hatton was impressive, especially the way he did it - EVERYONE has said that. Fans would like to see Floyd clean out the division now if he is going to continue fighting - there are plenty of challenges at 147 for Floyd right now that any talk of a trip to the MMA circuit should be kept to a whisper because it is pointless.
BigG
I like Floyd and admire him for his skills...but it would be such a shame if him and Cotto never got it on. Cotto has already said he is ready for the fight. He was at the Floyd-Hatton fight I believe and after the fight he said that he would be ready to fight Floyd this year. Both are superstars right now, both are in their prime, both are champions in the same division....It's a superfight. And like I said before, I believe Cotto would give Floyd some serious heat...would probably be his toughest fight since the Castillo fights.

I also think Williams and Margarito give him problems, but I think pulls both of those fights out by decision.
BigG
This doesn't change the fact that I think Floyd handles Cotto without problem, but the reality is, Cotto and Arum want the fight

JD, I think Cotto would surprise you with how well he would do in a fight with Floyd. He has a similar style to Castillo, except he is stronger. He applies the same intelligent pressure, with a good jab, and great body-punching. At WW, Cotto is a beast....I can certainly see Floyd winning a decision using superior speed...but he'd have to fight the perfect cautious fight like he fought vs. Castillo in the rematch. It would be very competitive.

But it looks like Floyd-Cotto wont happen anytime soon.
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 24 2008, 12:23 PM) [snapback]376259[/snapback]
JD, I think Cotto would surprise you with how well he would do in Floyd fight. He is a similar style to Castillo, except he is stronger. He applies the same intelligent pressure, with a good jab, and great body-punching. At WW, Cotto is a beast....I can certainly see Floyd winning a decision using superior speed...but he'd have to fight the perfect cautious fight like he fought vs. Castillo in the rematch. It would be very competitive.

But it looks like Floyd-Cotto wont happen anytime soon.

Hey man...I hope so. I always like a dramatic, entertaining fight.

No doubt, Cotto at 147 is stronger and more sturdy than at 140 - I just think the foot speed will be a real issue here, plus I think Castillo was a better inside fighter, while Cotto is a better counterpuncher and has the better jab.. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. I mean, I am in no way, shape or form willing to concede a victory without seeing the fight as so many Floyd fans like to do...I just do not like the style matchup for Cotto. I still want to see the fight though...no doubt.

streetlion1
I think PBF beats PW by U.D......As well as Margarito & Mosley. Cotto is the only guy who I believe beats PBF at this point...until PW further improves his defense and overall boxing skills. Cotto showed he was able to adapt and IMO looked better than ever against a very tough Shane Mosley. He has always shown great stamina and as JD said is a BEAST at welter. I have also been impressed with his technical ability. I think he would be the only fighter who would force PBF to actually trade with him....not good news for PBF. The thing about it is all these guys would offer a challenge to PBF in one form or another. The best talent he has ever been around and he is avoiding them all! thumbsdown_anim.gif
Sugar Q
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 24 2008, 12:39 PM) [snapback]376263[/snapback]
I think PBF beats PW by U.D......As well as Margarito & Mosley. Cotto is the only guy who I believe beats PBF at this point...until PW further improves his defense and overall boxing skills. Cotto showed he was able to adapt and IMO looked better than ever against a very tough Shane Mosley. He has always shown great stamina and as JD said is a BEAST at welter. I have also been impressed with his technical ability. I think he would be the only fighter who would force PBF to actually trade with him....not good news for PBF. The thing about it is all these guys would offer a challenge to PBF in one form or another. The best talent he has ever been around and he is avoiding them all! thumbsdown_anim.gif

We're all entitled to our opinions but as a former fighter I would much rather fight Cotto than the bigger, quicker, harder punching, more experienced DLH and dude was saying why would Margarito wanna fight Clottey, that should be evident. What about Santos who called him out recently? Margarito certainly isn't in a position to call out anyone. This is simple, if Margarito was the man then Williams is the number one contender because Zab nor Shane were ranked above Margarito and Williams beat him and holds the title so if Cotto isn't fighting Williams then he needs to get in line like all the rest. I cant wait to see PBF beat Cotto and I m a big Cotto fan but he ain't got nothing for PBF. PBF may not be the greatest of all but right now he gotta go down as the smartest.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Jan 24 2008, 03:02 PM) [snapback]376274[/snapback]
We're all entitled to our opinions but as a former fighter I would much rather fight Cotto than the bigger, quicker, harder punching, more experienced DLH and dude was saying why would Margarito wanna fight Clottey, that should be evident. What about Santos who called him out recently? Margarito certainly isn't in a position to call out anyone. This is simple, if Margarito was the man then Williams is the number one contender because Zab nor Shane were ranked above Margarito and Williams beat him and holds the title so if Cotto isn't fighting Williams then he needs to get in line like all the rest. I cant wait to see PBF beat Cotto and I m a big Cotto fan but he ain't got nothing for PBF. PBF may not be the greatest of all but right now he gotta go down as the smartest.

Margarito beat Clottey, why would he demand a rematch? That would stall his career. And why does Margarito need to fight Santos again? They're in different weight classes. Is Santos talking about dropping to 147? Why would Margarito leave the hottest division in the sport right now for one with far less lucrative options?

Tell me, why do you think Santos is calling out a guy he already has a win over anyway? I'll tell you - cause his career's going nowhere and he's attempting to use Margarito's heat to get himself back into the picture. You have no problem with this, yet you bristle anytime Margarito mentions PBF or another fighter's name to try and advance himself. Dude, you're a hater plain and simple. You've got no credibility whatsoever.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 24 2008, 03:44 PM) [snapback]376286[/snapback]
Margarito beat Clottey, why would he demand a rematch? That would stall his career. And why does Margarito need to fight Santos again? They're in different weight classes. Is Santos talking about dropping to 147? Why would Margarito leave the hottest division in the sport right now for one with far less lucrative options?

Tell me, why do you think Santos is calling out a guy he already has a win over anyway? I'll tell you - cause his career's going nowhere and he's attempting to use Margarito's heat to get himself back into the picture. You have no problem with this, yet you bristle anytime Margarito mentions PBF or another fighter's name to try and advance himself. Dude, you're a hater plain and simple. You've got no credibility whatsoever.

Margarito was calling himself the most feared man in boxing (remember that?) so if Im a man that already has a win over him I would definitely wanna remind him. When you have 6,7 fighters calling you out and you go fight Golden Johnson that says something about you. Margarito got a fluke gift over Clottey and you know it. Dude Margarito is EASY MONEY for Floyd and if your a real boxing fan you know this. Floyd beat a bigger, stronger, harder punching, quicker, more experienced Oscar now what would make you or anyone think that he would have any problem kickin on Margarito's ass let's be real here. Who's the real hater if the whole boxing game (fighters and all) are saying PBF is p4p the best while your insinuating that PBF would have a problem with an overhyped c-rated fighter who's biggest win is over Kermit Cintron? The fact is you and all the other hatas should give respect where its do. I'm a Cotto fan. I genuinely like him as a fighter but Floyd has shown that he can adapt to anyone in front of him. Shane fought with his heart and loss Floyd is waaaaaay too smart for that. I thought the undefeated Corrales was gonna beat PBF but he proved me wrong and has been doing his thing ever since. Gotta give it up my dude.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Jan 24 2008, 04:17 PM) [snapback]376289[/snapback]
Margarito was calling himself the most feared man in boxing (remember that?) so if Im a man that already has a win over him I would definitely wanna remind him. When you have 6,7 fighters calling you out and you go fight Golden Johnson that says something about you. Margarito got a fluke gift over Clottey and you know it. Dude Margarito is EASY MONEY for Floyd and if your a real boxing fan you know this. Floyd beat a bigger, stronger, harder punching, quicker, more experienced Oscar now what would make you or anyone think that he would have any problem kickin on Margarito's ass let's be real here. Who's the real hater if the whole boxing game (fighters and all) are saying PBF is p4p the best while your insinuating that PBF would have a problem with an overhyped c-rated fighter who's biggest win is over Kermit Cintron? The fact is you and all the other hatas should give respect where its do. I'm a Cotto fan. I genuinely like him as a fighter but Floyd has shown that he can adapt to anyone in front of him. Shane fought with his heart and loss Floyd is waaaaaay too smart for that. I thought the undefeated Corrales was gonna beat PBF but he proved me wrong and has been doing his thing ever since. Gotta give it up my dude.

you make it hard to read your posts because they are filed with so much obvious bias against margarito.People started to step up for Margarito around late 2006. The main one was paul Williams. Tony fought him and then the buzz died down. He fought Golden Johnson in late 2007 AFTER he lost to Williams. Prior to Williams, we all know the story of Floyd, Margarito and the 8mil, so i wont rehash it. You are a typical Floyd fan, conceding wins to the guy even though he hasnt fought a legit threat at 147.

I think its obvious that Floyd will have none of the top 5 at WW. He's opting to fight a well past his prime, soft, crossdressing promoter. I guess King and Arum are lined up for Money May's fights for next year. The Gimmick will be that Floyd Fights two heavyweights. He can probably beat King and Arum on te same night...
Douchebag
The Floyd dickriding in this thread is disgusting. SMH
sithspawn4
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 24 2008, 08:44 PM) [snapback]376286[/snapback]

"Why would Margarito leave the hottest division in the sport right now for one far less lucrative options?"-Big Slim

Please use the same logic when talking about Mayweather. Margarito is doing the best that he can to make the most money based on his earning potential. Mayweather is doing the same. It goes to show the wide gap in class and marketability of the two fighters.

I would love to see Mayweather-Cotto btw. I am a boxing fan, but I understand that all fighters are generally motivated by the same thing.
Big Slim Sweet
Of course money is the main motivator for all fighters - as well it should be. But there's still money to be made by fighting guys who may actually pose threats to you, especially when such a huge segment of the boxing community wants to see it.

The thing that sucks about Mayweather is how big a hypocrite he can be. OK, he wanted the DLH fight. Who wouldn't? So he basically put his career on hold for a year waiting for the fight, avoiding other challenges along the way. Then when he wins (not all that impressively either), he claims that he's accomplished everything he can, which is a lie. He 'retires', doesn't respond to Shane Mosley's serious taunts about being a coward and a little boy with daddy issues at heart, but then leaps at the opportunity to get back in the ring with Ricky Hatton, a good fighter but a guy undersized for the division and already deemed to have failed at it once, just because he made fun of his unexciting style. He wins that fight (impressively this time), then barely manages to say Cotto's name in the post-fight interview, again says he's accomplished all that he can, again a lie, and claims to be done fighting, but then jumps at the opportunity to fight a guy he already beat.

I don't know, the whole thing's been rehashed so many times it bores me to even write about it anymore. Mayweather is a great fighter but he's doing his legacy and his fans a disservice. Like I said earlier, no bait and switch. No one saying he needs to go up four weight classes and fight Calzaghe to prove his greatness. There are several excellent, highly worthy challengers sitting right there in his own division thirsting for a chance to fight him and he won't do it, end of story. How can anyone defend that?
streetlion1
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Jan 24 2008, 03:17 PM) [snapback]376289[/snapback]

I for one will give it up to him when he fights the top Welters! If you are trying to compare Cotto to Corrales or any other Floyd opponent...it cant be done...he would be PBF's toughest opponent yet. Also if PBF is just going for $$$ like its clear he is then why wouldnt he take the 8 mil. he was offered to fight Margarito and take that "easy money"?! He is one of the best but IMO his P4P title is gone...he hasnt lived up to that status since hitting 147. I do respect him for the talent he has.....but dont like him because of his selection of opponents!
Sugar Q
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 25 2008, 11:38 AM) [snapback]376361[/snapback]
I for one will give it up to him when he fights the top Welters! If you are trying to compare Cotto to Corrales or any other Floyd opponent...it cant be done...he would be PBF's toughest opponent yet. Also if PBF is just going for $$$ like its clear he is then why wouldnt he take the 8 mil. he was offered to fight Margarito and take that "easy money"?! He is one of the best but IMO his P4P title is gone...he hasnt lived up to that status since hitting 147. I do respect him for the talent he has.....but dont like him because of his selection of opponents!

First of all you should know that there's politics involved in fights not happening and happening. I wasn't comparing Corrales to anyone just remembering how I thought Corrales would beat Floyd. Baldomire and Zab were top welters when Floyd fought them. Neither Zab nor Shane (maybe top 5 with only one win real win at 147) were top welters when they fought Cotto so what are you talking about. What has fighting and beating Margarito done for Williams? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! If Floyd would have smashed Margarito he still would not have been champion until he beat Baldomire so instead he opted to fight Baldomire. I think that makes sense to you. Your certainly entitled to your opinion but Im sure Floyd and TRUE boxing fans care more about what ALL the other champions, top contenders, sports writers, promoters, etc. feel and they ALL UNANIMOUSLY say that PBF is P4P the best right now. Im sorry wins over Oscar, Zab, Baldomire, Hatton and Sharba Mitchell dont mean much to you. I love Shane but he got called out by PBF twice and didnt want none so his running off at the mouth now means nothing. He could have easily been added to that list.
AussieLad
P4P status and Ranking in a certain weight division are two different things.

P4P is irrespective of weight, and is based on accomplishments and perception of talent. In short, P4P is an opinion

Weight division rankings should be based on accomplishments alone, and preferably a linear transition from someone beating 'the man' to become 'the man'. It should be something tangible that can only be taken in an actual fight. This is what seperates it from p4p, because in p4p often you cant have a fight to determine ranking because fighters listed are usualy in a different weight class

The problem i have with everyone ranking PBF automatically the best in every division he steps into basically as soon as he even mentions moving up... its what is wrong with boxing.

This sort of thinking allows, admittedly a legitimately great fighter in PBF, to move through divisions without facing the best it has to offer. He doesnt need to, his reputation proceeds him and ruins potentially great legacy cementing fights

And everyone laps it up thumbsdown_anim.gif
Fitz
Baldomir was a top 5 welter at the time. Well he was #1 because he was undisputed. Though he wasn't really in the best 5 welter fighters and never has been. If that makes sense.
AussieLad
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 26 2008, 06:19 AM) [snapback]376456[/snapback]
Baldomir was a top 5 welter at the time. Well he was #1 because he was undisputed. Though he wasn't really in the best 5 welter fighters and never has been. If that makes sense.

Your right, i keep forgetting baldomir

I was thinking mainly of 140 in the above post though
streetlion1
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Jan 25 2008, 11:06 AM) [snapback]376364[/snapback]
First of all you should know that there's politics involved in fights not happening and happening. I wasn't comparing Corrales to anyone just remembering how I thought Corrales would beat Floyd. Baldomire and Zab were top welters when Floyd fought them. Neither Zab nor Shane (maybe top 5 with only one win real win at 147) were top welters when they fought Cotto so what are you talking about. What has fighting and beating Margarito done for Williams? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! If Floyd would have smashed Margarito he still would not have been champion until he beat Baldomire so instead he opted to fight Baldomire. I think that makes sense to you. Your certainly entitled to your opinion but Im sure Floyd and TRUE boxing fans care more about what ALL the other champions, top contenders, sports writers, promoters, etc. feel and they ALL UNANIMOUSLY say that PBF is P4P the best right now. Im sorry wins over Oscar, Zab, Baldomire, Hatton and Sharba Mitchell dont mean much to you. I love Shane but he got called out by PBF twice and didnt want none so his running off at the mouth now means nothing. He could have easily been added to that list.

Well take a look at the time when he supposedly wanted to fight Shane. Also no, Baldomir is a joke and a threat to on one in the division besides Zab...and though I love Judah...he is Judah..enough said. Say what you will about Mosley..he would still offer PBF a bigger challenge than he has had thus far. Those names you mentioned....an old DLH (which wasnt even at 147) is the only impressive name! You may not run into fans who share this same opinion of PBF where you are...but there are plenty of "true boxing fans" here in Minnesota who feel the same way. fighting Margarito DID do something for PW's rep.....it showed he can stand in there slug it out with a big TOP- TRUE welter and he won the fight U.D.!...something PBF hasnt even done yet..is fight a TRUE welter who actually has the skills to give him a challenge. There are no politics going on in HIS fight selection keeping him from fighting these guys! PBF always makes excuses...or says he has nothing more to prove...thats O.K. the time will come when there are no other fights..DLH will be gone after this year and PBF will have no where else to hide...he'll have to fight the best...and if he doesnt and chooses to retire instead or fight another bum...I wonder how people will react to him then!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.