Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: De La Hoya will fight tuneup match in May
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Nay_Sayer
By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports
January 18, 2008

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=dm-o...o&type=lgns

Oscar De La Hoya will fight a tune-up match on May 3 before his expected rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. The match, against an opponent to be named later, will take place at either Mexico City's Estadio Azteca or the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

The fight, which will be part of a career countdown, will likely air on Home Box Office instead of pay-per-view, to help drum up interest in the proposed September 13 rematch with Mayweather.

"I want to set a trend where the big-name fighters will fight on free television," De La Hoya said. "Why not go back to the roots? Go back to fighting on free television. I think the fans deserve it. I hope other fighters can do this."

Byrd Man
HBO IS NOT FREEEEEE OSCAR! lol
BoxingStill#1
Good look for Oscar!.....But what if he loses his "tune up?"....Then his appeal for the Mayweather fight would deminish even more
Future_Champ
Yeah i kind of hope he looses his tune up
Hatuey
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 18 2008, 09:14 PM) [snapback]375326[/snapback]
Good look for Oscar!.....But what if he loses his "tune up?"....Then his appeal for the Mayweather fight would deminish even more

He'll beat Carlos Maussa, no problem laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE(Hatuey @ Jan 18 2008, 10:25 PM) [snapback]375342[/snapback]
He'll beat Carlos Maussa, no problem laugh.gif

LMAO.

We should start the Oscar De La Hoya Tune-Up Sweepstakes....pick the right opponent and win a prize.

laugh.gif

Perhaps Carlos Baldomir is available.
Col Reb
How about Chavez Jr in Mexico City?
thehype
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Jan 18 2008, 10:48 PM) [snapback]375345[/snapback]
How about Chavez Jr in Mexico City?

I don't think Arum is THAT crazy.

More than likely, it'll be someone that Oscar can carry and play around with...think more along the lines of his fight with Yory Boy Campas.
BigG
Ricky in Manchester?
SpitShineTommy
well didnt DLH say that he was only going to fight a few more fights and they would be big ones against the "best" , what happend to Tito / DLH ? or DLH / Winky ? guess his last "few" fights will be againt Money May ...already a rubber match in the making

thumbsdown_anim.gif
kidbazooka1
I wonder who the lucky bastard will be for his tune up either way they are guaranteed there biggest payday.
D-MARV
Here is what I'm hearing abot De La Hoya's potential opponents!
September:
Floyd Mayweather II (almost a done deal)
May:
Zab Judah (if Margarito fight falls though)
Felix Trinidad (depends on today) but i dont see Tito making weight
Ike Quartey
Vernon Forrest
December:
Miguel Cotto
Ricky Hatton
Floyd Mayweather III(my guess, especially if Oscar wins the second fight)
Douchebag
How about Cory Spinx.
D-MARV
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 19 2008, 09:29 AM) [snapback]375395[/snapback]
How about Cory Spinx.

Spinks could be too dangerous for Oscar.
I think the for the May fight Oscar wants to fight the biggest name he knows he can beat!
He will look bad aagainst Cory
BigG
Spinks could beat Oscar...he is no tune up.

Forrest too.
The Original MrFactor
If the rumor is true that Stevie Forbes is the opponent for May, DLH may have bitten off more than he ca chew. Stevie is smaller, but he's tough and tenacious, has some speed and a little pop. I'd exp[ect him to give Oscar some serious problems. In order to actually win, Forbes is gonna have to KO Oscar. No way he wins a decision. In fact, he can knock Oscar down 12x in the fight and still lose the decision. I do think Forbes beats Oscar, but it wont show up on the scorecards.
HaydelHammer
I think he should fight paul "the punisher" williams as his tune up. LOL.

Douchebag
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 19 2008, 09:29 AM) [snapback]375395[/snapback]
How about Cory Spinx.

The only reason I say spinx is because he is already at 154 and is a Poor Mans Mayweather which saying alot about PBF because Spinx is good fucking fighter. But lets be realistic Spinx isn't KOing Oscar on knocking him down so there is really no way that he is going to beat DLH.
Chi-Town
If Margarito wins it will be him....mark my words, the May fight will be against Margarito.
Big Slim Sweet
Oscar won't make the same mistake he made taking on Sturm, a fighter who even in 'victory' made him look bad. Spinks will likely make Oscar look bad, win or lose. And Forrest may quite possibly beat Oscar decisively. No chance in hell he fights either of them.

You figure like Hype said it will be some crude brawler in the mode of Mayorga or Campas who Oscar has the best chance of looking spectacular against. Baldomir, Jose Antonio Rivera, someone like that. Then again, those types of fighters hardly help prepare him for a fight with Mayweather.

If he's smart he'll choose a guy who will make him chase him around a little and use his legs, but still someone limited enough to pose no real threat. How about Hector Camacho Jr? Perfect! A wuss who he'll clobber but somewhat of an appropriate warm-up for PBF. And name brand recognition to boot.
rymal21
Rafael had the three favorites for the May fight as being Forbes, Malignaggi, and Salita.
JD
Forbes and Malignaggi make a hell of a lot of sense stylewise...plus they would be fighting 14 pounds above their natural weight, which makes even MORE sense for Oscar if he wants to get a tuneup in and look good.

Salita only makes sense for Oscar because he would look great bitch slapping him and ending the fight before we could hear the bell signaling the end of the first round.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 19 2008, 09:45 AM) [snapback]375400[/snapback]
Where are you hearing this? This doesn't sound realistic at all.

Im friends with a guy here in DC who knows a little about whats going on. He told me that these are rumors... Nothing More, Nothing Less! Me personally, I dont know how much truth is in this, I figured I share with you guys. But I do believe the Oscar's fight in May will not be risky! So you won't see Margarito or Vernon.
But this same guy told about Cotto-Gomez back in Dec. and He told me that their will be a Mayweather-De La Hoya II back in June! so i respect what he says
rusty_trombone
I'd love to see him fight Paulie, hell I might even give Paulie a chance if the weight weren't such a huge difference. Paulie is a small 140, let alone 154. Man I would be rooting hard for Paulie in that fight, so this rematch wouldn't happen, and then possibly Cotto could fight Mayweather.
BigG
Forbes, Malignaggi? SALITA!?!?!? These guys are too small. Paulie should stay and defend his belt at 140.
rymal21
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 19 2008, 12:38 PM) [snapback]375425[/snapback]
Forbes, Malignaggi? SALITA!?!?!? These guys are too small. Paulie should stay and defend his belt at 140.

How the hell do you say no to a fight w/ Oscar?
BigG
Exactly.

Well Forbes is too small. And Salita, that guy is still a prospect. And as much as I like Paulie, I wouldn't give him much of a chance vs. DLH.
rymal21
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 19 2008, 12:52 PM) [snapback]375428[/snapback]
Exactly.

Well Forbes is too small. And Salita, that guy is still a prospect. And as much as I like Paulie, I wouldn't give him much of a chance vs. DLH.

But from a marketing standpoint, a fight w/ Paulie would be pretty big. Whatever your feelings are towards Paulie as a fighter, the kid would help make this fight generate a lot of interest, not that Oscar really needs it. And stylewise, it would be the perfect tune up for Mayweather. Paulie's no Floyd, but to stay fresh and get in there w/ another guy who's defensive minded and has decent speed himself, Oscar could do much worse.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 19 2008, 08:16 AM) [snapback]375394[/snapback]
Vernon Forrest

No way does Oscar fight Vernon. NOT gonna happen.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Jan 19 2008, 11:11 AM) [snapback]375414[/snapback]
If Margarito wins it will be him....mark my words, the May fight will be against Margarito.

I agree. DLH can beat Margarito @ 154lbs...
Mean Mister Mustard
The Margarito fight would be perfect for DLH. Margarito can beat a lot of top guys but against DLH he would be fighting a guy with good power and fast hands. I think DLH would get inside Margarito's wild punches and score knockdowns. It doesn't matte if Margarito has a great chin, case in point Ricardo Mayroga. Look how many bombs he absorbed from Trinidad before getting stopped.But DLH caught him with fast heavy hooks he could not see and dropped him like a sack of potatoes.

If Margarito can take DLH's punches then Goldie's in trouble because Margarito will keep coming and chase a tired DLH around the ring in the last rounds. Still, I anticipate DLH winning this fight.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 19 2008, 09:45 AM) [snapback]375400[/snapback]
Where are you hearing this? This doesn't sound realistic at all.

This is an interesting thread,.....I agree totally,... I think this guy is thinking about May of 09'.....lol...wtf..
neophyte7
I guess people have changed their tune on Spinks. Since Judah TKO'd him he was labled a bich, pussy, featherfisted, boring... but after beating Taylor (atleast a draw inmy eyes) people are back to reality. Spinks is a damned good fighter.. he would beat judah 10/10 times if they fought ten more times.... he had a bad night in front of his home crowd. When I saw Spinks momentarily buzz Taylor with a right hook counter, I knew that Taylor would eventually be KO'd----- I want to see Spinks Mayweather--- it would not be boring. they would go at it.... Mayweather would go for the stoppage and Spinks would try to bang with him. This is better than DLH Floyd rematch
Method
It will NOT be Margarito. No fucking way in hell. I'd pick Margarito to beat DLH up. Stay away.
May:
Zab Judah (if Margarito fight falls though)
Felix Trinidad (depends on today) but i dont see Tito making weight
Ike Quartey
Vernon Forrest

None of those guys are tune ups. None of em. All of em could give DLH trouble.

As for Spinks being a poor man's Mayweather....for starters, Spinks is a sough paw.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Method @ Jan 19 2008, 07:30 PM) [snapback]375482[/snapback]
It will NOT be Margarito. No fucking way in hell. I'd pick Margarito to beat DLH up. Stay away.
None of those guys are tune ups. None of em. All of em could give DLH trouble.

As for Spinks being a poor man's Mayweather....for starters, Spinks is a sough paw.

.....................Meh.
streetlion1
whoever he fights wont be dangerous im sure......Oscar knows what he's doing....an easy guy he can look great against in order to create more buzz for his fight against Pretty Boy Duck-Artist.
PR316
Oscar just needs to get out of boxing and stick to promoting if you ask me. The Golden Cross Dresser is long overdue for retirement if you ask me.

One thing's sure. He's not gonna fight anybody who has a chance in hell of beating him thats for sure.
The Original MrFactor
Looks like DLH could have found an opponent in Trinidad. I think Tito did decent in losing. I'd pay to see DLH/Trinidad2 in May... Why not. Better do it before they get waaaay to old...
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 20 2008, 01:31 AM) [snapback]375637[/snapback]
So your friend said that DLH is thinking about a 3rd fight against Mayweather already which would take place in December? Seems strange to me.

No, go back and read the post again. That was my opinion.
BUt I can definitely see an Oscar-Trinidad showdown now. My only worry would be Tito making weight. But he did look chubby last night which is good because he can lose that without any serious health risks.
I tell you guys one thing: This is exactly why Oscar waited so long to make a decision on who he was fighting in May. He was waiting to see how Tito would look. I bet anything that Felix will be getting a call from Golden Boy MOnday Morning!
streetlion1
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 19 2008, 08:55 PM) [snapback]375515[/snapback]
Oscar just needs to get out of boxing and stick to promoting if you ask me. The Golden Cross Dresser is long overdue for retirement if you ask me.
One thing's sure. He's not gonna fight anybody who has a chance in hell of beating him thats for sure.

Get off the HATERADE!!!!
Nay_Sayer
Fightshit.com is reporting that DLH is fighting Steve Forbes in May. WTF?!?
PR316
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 20 2008, 06:37 PM) [snapback]375781[/snapback]
Get off the HATERADE!!!!

When Oscar fights somebody he should fight then I will. But STEVIE FORBES????.... I don't think so. The Golden Cross Dresser has once again taken the coward's way out.l
BigJuicyHog
This is a terrible matchup....a guy who fought most of his career aroun 130 to a guy who has been hovering around 154 for the last several years. It will probably be an impressive (looking) win for Oscar and will get him some more non hardcore boxing fans to watch the next Mayweather fight. Most of the casual fans probably dont know how much smaller Forbes actually is and will see that he was a contender finalist and a former world champ.
streetlion1
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 23 2008, 09:31 AM) [snapback]376110[/snapback]
When Oscar fights somebody he should fight then I will. But STEVIE FORBES????.... I don't think so. The Golden Cross Dresser has once again taken the coward's way out.l

Fights somebody he should fight?! If anyone has the right to use the "I have nothing more to prove" card its him. How about PBF fighting somebody he should fight? Stevie Forbes isnt a challenge...no. However to say he is taking a cowards way out isnt really true...thats why they call it a tune-up fight. But yeah he should destroy Cintron or somebody instead of Forbes. There is no guarentee that it will be Forbes anyway.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 23 2008, 12:16 PM) [snapback]376116[/snapback]
Fights somebody he should fight?! If anyone has the right to use the "I have nothing more to prove" card its him. How about PBF fighting somebody he should fight? Stevie Forbes isnt a challenge...no. However to say he is taking a cowards way out isnt really true...thats why they call it a tune-up fight. But yeah he should destroy Cintron or somebody instead of Forbes. There is no guarentee that it will be Forbes anyway.

Oscar does have something to prove now, he has to prove he can still beat meaningful competition, something he hasn't done in 5 years. Forbes is not meaningful opposition, but I'm sure whooping his ass will do wonders in promoting the rematch where he gets beat easily by Floyd again
PR316
Tito never fought a guy that could have still made the weight limit of 135 while he was still active.
PR316
Well if we really want to get technical, I didn't want to bring these up but ok lets do it.

1- Running from Trinidad in the championship rounds in a fight he had in the bag, all because he didn't want to risk getting knocked out. I honestly would have respected Oscar more if he would have tried to put Tito away. Whats the worse case scenario???... That Tito catches him big time and puts him away??... Maybe... But what about the best case scenario where Oscar wins by KO??... It was there for him. He could have catapulted himself from being just a very good to a borderline great fighter or above.

2- His quitting against Hopkins. No Oscar wasn't gonna win that fight and it was probably gonna get worse, but I just have a hard time believing that a professional fighter like Oscar gets KO'd by a punch like that. If you watch the replay, we can see that Hopkins' fist is not even turned into the punch all the way. Now maybe he was hurting, but when you watch him beat the ground and curse up a storm, one has to ask himself "Couldn't he have gotten up"??... Looked to me like a guy that didn't want to take his beating like a man.

Oscar said after the Mayweather fight that he wanted to be involved in one of those classic brawls of all time and that thats why he wasn't looking for a Mayweather rematch.. Now nobody should knock him for fighting Floyd, but that will not produce what he has been talking about for most of 2007. Again, I must ask... Where there no quality opponents available at 154 and 147???... I just don't believe it.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 23 2008, 10:21 PM) [snapback]376200[/snapback]
I just don't understand the 'again' part. DLH has a better resume (in terms of opponents) than just about anyone in boxing today (there are a couple you could argue). If he is a coward, there really isn't much hope for anyone else in boxing and if Oscar is a coward, then so is everybody else in boxing today.

I wouldn't call him a coward, just not very successful fighting against quality opponents recently.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 23 2008, 09:50 PM) [snapback]376203[/snapback]
Well if we really want to get technical, I didn't want to bring these up but ok lets do it.
1- Running from Trinidad in the championship rounds in a fight he had in the bag, all because he didn't want to risk getting knocked out. I honestly would have respected Oscar more if he would have tried to put Tito away. Whats the worse case scenario???... That Tito catches him big time and puts him away??... Maybe... But what about the best case scenario where Oscar wins by KO??... It was there for him. He could have catapulted himself from being just a very good to a borderline great fighter or above.
2- His quitting against Hopkins. No Oscar wasn't gonna win that fight and it was probably gonna get worse, but I just have a hard time believing that a professional fighter like Oscar gets KO'd by a punch like that. If you watch the replay, we can see that Hopkins' fist is not even turned into the punch all the way. Now maybe he was hurting, but when you watch him beat the ground and curse up a storm, one has to ask himself "Couldn't he have gotten up"??... Looked to me like a guy that didn't want to take his beating like a man.
Oscar said after the Mayweather fight that he wanted to be involved in one of those classic brawls of all time and that thats why he wasn't looking for a Mayweather rematch.. Now nobody should knock him for fighting Floyd, but that will not produce what he has been talking about for most of 2007. Again, I must ask... Where there no quality opponents available at 154 and 147???... I just don't believe it.

Good points, my observations:

1. Why is it that everyone shits on Oscar for giving away those final rounds, (btw I thought he still won 116-113) but no one shits on his trainer Gil Clancy for TELLING Oscar to coast. Listen to the commentary between rounds. Oscar was just doing what his trainer told him to do. People make too much of a deal about this. Jersey Joe Walcott ran from Joe Louis in the first fight and lost a split decision that everyone thought he should have won. Billy Conn was criticized for NOT running and slugging it out against Louis in their first fight resulting in Conn being KO'd after he had been ahead, so why should Oscar be shitted on for following the advice of his trainer? Blame Clancy for stupid advice. Besides, Oscar showed that he can finish strong, witness the 12th round vs. Quartey.

2. My problem with the Hopkins fight. The punch aspect we will never know its effectiveness. Shots near the liver like that can pulverize a fighter even when they don't look it because all TV cameras distort. What I hated is Oscar and Bernard getting all chummy and going into business together after the fight. It creates the possibility of bad karma, that the first fight might have been fixed to achieve this effect and that's not right. However, knowing the street smarts of Hopkins, I can't see him participating in an orchestrated outcome--he's too proud a fighter for that shit. Both would have to be on the take for that to happen. Oscar would go where the money is, but knows that a bad PR, such as a fix would hurt him as a promoter. He's a smart fighter and knows that a fixed fight would be bad for business. But the perception of them going into business together after the fight has always offended me.

For a tune up, there are other fighters I would rather see Oscar fight, but Forbes isn't as bad as what we might have had. The opponent may not be Steve after all. I guess a good question for the board is, if Oscar does not fight Forbes, who should be his tune-up match?

Jack
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Jan 24 2008, 05:52 AM) [snapback]376220[/snapback]
For a tune up, there are other fighters I would rather see Oscar fight, but Forbes isn't as bad as what we might have had. The opponent may not be Steve after all. I guess a good question for the board is, if Oscar does not fight Forbes, who should be his tune-up match?

Jack

An actual welter or super welter, not another 140 guy. pick any name, there's a ton of average fighters @ 147 and 154 that he would look good against.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.