Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trinidad shouldn’t retire…
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
RealPuya
After the fight the big winner is Trinidad…Everybody knew that Jones will win this fight. The only three persons that didn’t were Papa Trinidad, Tito Trinidad and Don King… Jones look sharp but he next opponents list are Hopkins, Calzaghe, Mikkel Kessler or Chad Dawson.,,,all this guys are not so easy to swallow. Jones can lose with any of these guys (Trinidad will be murder by these guys).

Trinidad looked sharp but too small for 170 or even for 168. He needs to go down to 160 and next opponents will be Taylor, Pavlik or Abraham…I see Trinidad beating this guys up…expect Winky.

From this fight on Trinidad have more chances to accomplish more things than Roy.
The most important thing was I never imagined that this fight was going to be so entertaining. Thanks to both fighters. thumbsup_anim.gif
BigG
Of course Tito could beat alot of guys..but he cant make 170 right now....He should just retire. But even though he got dominated, it seemed like he didn't fade a BIT since the Mayorga/Winky fights.
RealPuya
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 20 2008, 02:49 AM) [snapback]375648[/snapback]
Not to be a prick, but I didn't even bother reading your post because I disagree with just the title and I didn't go any further.

I don't even know he can make 160, hell he couldn't even make 170. That's the bottom line.

He couldn't make 170 because Trinidad didn't do his morning run for the last 4 days before the fight...The Trinidad Team were so sure to make the weight that just layback. He can make 160...this guy don't drink or smoke...in two months he can make 160…if he can beat any elite at 160…yes he can. But all this is base on my opinion. Your are not a Prick…thanks for sharing your opinion. ok.gif
kidbazooka1
Tito has nothing to be ashamed of he lost to a much bigger guy and was able to go the ditance when many thought he would get blown away. The problem is that I don't think Trinidad can no longer make 160lb.
BigG
Yup. This was a mistmatch. Tito tried his very best but couldn't do nothing...simple as that. Tito's legacy is already set. 17 Defenses at WW, unified champ at JMW, champ at MW.
and the NEW
Of course he can make 160. Its called good dieting! He was a chubby 170.

No point though, even at that weight, he is a not a large middle. He has nothing left to proove and other than maybe a KO chance against Taylor, has no business there.

Titos best days are a DISTANT DISTANT memory.

The days when he beat Carr, an old Pea, man, he was HUGE and BRUTAL at 147 then.
BrutalBodyShots
Are you guys kidding me with this "can't make 160" crap? He BARELY made 170 because his TARGET WEIGHT for the fight was 170. If his target was 160 he would have came in near 160.

Trinidad was visibly less defined and more bloated looking than normal which to me means he didn't focus on cardio/weight loss as much as he could have. At the weigh in Trinidad didn't look dried out at all - I bet he could have cut more water weight and weighed in less.

I think you guys are seriously mistaken thinking the guy can't make 160 pounds.

salvador
It doesn't matter if he could make 160 or 147, Tito needs to retire. He's not anywhere near the same and he's tarnishing his name in PR at exactly the same time that Cotto is becoming a superstar. The comparisons won't be kind to Tito. Not to mention that even if he could make 160, it's not like he'd be competitive with Pavlik or JT. If he just wants one last paycheck, he should fight Oscar and be done with it.
rusty_trombone
It's not that he can't make 160 because he's physically unable, he can't and won;t make 160 cause he's a lay twinkie eating fighter now. he won't roll out of bed and work out, he'll roll out of bed and have some hot dogs.
D-MARV
I agree with Brutal,
Tito was chubby last night which means that he can lose weight If he needed too. Can Tito make 160? Of course he can, all he needs to do is more cardio. He wasn't dried out at the weigh in so he prolly could have weighed in much less than that. Should Tito retire? after he fight Oscar in May! 8 figures will make Tito lose the weight. He'll prolly come down to 154 for that fight!
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 20 2008, 11:25 AM) [snapback]375722[/snapback]
I agree with Brutal,
Tito was chubby last night which means that he can lose weight If he needed too. Can Tito make 160? Of course he can, all he needs to do is more cardio. He wasn't dried out at the weigh in so he prolly could have weighed in much less than that. Should Tito retire? after he fight Oscar in May! 8 figures will make Tito lose the weight. He'll prolly come down to 154 for that fight!

Tito and Oscar are not fighting May 3rd.

Tito should go down to 160 and try to get a fight with John Duddy.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 20 2008, 11:32 AM) [snapback]375725[/snapback]

You tell me 2 or 3 million or 15-20 million?
Hatuey
I totally disagree! Tito needs to retire before he loses his Puerto Rican citizenship! His glory days have come and gone and there's nothing else he needs to prove to anyone. He should consider training or performing some other position in the sport before he really gets hurt. I say this because I have the utmost respect for him!

Let it go Tito.....!!!! Let it go Tito.....!!!! Let it go Tito......!!!!!! bye.gif
imperial
I have to agree for being out the ring for 3 yrs he didn't look all that bad he was out of his league against Jones but he still has a few fights left in him ..He should just move down to a lower weight ..
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 20 2008, 11:36 AM) [snapback]375727[/snapback]
You tell me 2 or 3 million or 15-20 million?

Tell you what?

Tito makes more than $2 mill against ANYONE...Oscar makes more than $2 mill against ANYONE. Tito - Duddy does very good numbers at the Garden...so does Tito - Pavlik.

Listen...Tito and Oscar are NOT fighting May 3rd. You can bank on that. Weight issues...money split issues...not enough time to promote issues...style does nothing for Oscar's September date issues...Tito and Oscar are NOT fighting on May 3rd.

I know, you think they are, but they aren't. Oscar is going to end up fighting 2 Pound on Regular HBO.
streetlion1
Make it at 160...against who? Pavlik would have him out in round 1...Taylor would knock him out...an old RJJ isnt a good measuring stick..because RJJ himself wouldnt last long against a top name either.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 20 2008, 01:14 PM) [snapback]375767[/snapback]
Tell you what?

Tito makes more than $2 mill against ANYONE...Oscar makes more than $2 mill against ANYONE. Tito - Duddy does very good numbers at the Garden...so does Tito - Pavlik.

Listen...Tito and Oscar are NOT fighting May 3rd. You can bank on that. Weight issues...money split issues...not enough time to promote issues...style does nothing for Oscar's September date issues...Tito and Oscar are NOT fighting on May 3rd.

I know, you think they are, but they aren't. Oscar is going to end up fighting 2 Pound on Regular HBO.

Well "IF" Tito comes back I only see him fighting Oscar. You have a point with the promotion issues but I wouldn't worry about Money or Weight! Duddy-Tito isn't happening because Duddy-Pavlik will likely happen this year. But I will say this much, Do not think that an Oscar-Tito fight will not be discussed. This is a big money fight for both fighters and Money Talks! This is the biggest payday for Tito and probably the second or third biggest fight Oscar can make!
Hatuey
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 20 2008, 11:32 AM) [snapback]375725[/snapback]

LOL! At this stage Duddy would beat the piss out of Trinidad, he just doesn't have it anymore, and trying to fool the public into believing, that what once was, .....is still the same now, is only setting him up for failure. He needs to retire now before his African, Spanish, and Taino Indian ancestors start rolling in their graves...
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 20 2008, 08:38 AM) [snapback]375695[/snapback]
JD and Method said that he weighed over the limit like 3 times.

I'm well aware - but that has nothing to do with his ability to make 160. If the contractual weight for Trinidad-Jones was 160 and Trinidad came in at 170.2 I'd say yes, he can't make 160 any longer... but the agreed upon weight was 170. JD in his post above suggests he believes Trinidad can still make 160 if he tried.

JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 20 2008, 01:44 PM) [snapback]375784[/snapback]
Well "IF" Tito comes back I only see him fighting Oscar. You have a point with the promotion issues but I wouldn't worry about Money or Weight! Duddy-Tito isn't happening because Duddy-Pavlik will likely happen this year. But I will say this much, Do not think that an Oscar-Tito fight will not be discussed. This is a big money fight for both fighters and Money Talks! This is the biggest payday for Tito and probably the second or third biggest fight Oscar can make!

Yes, I know Tito - Duddy is not happening - nor am I going around saying it IS happening...I just said it would be the right kind of fight for Tito for multiple reasons.

Oscar - Tito is not happening May 3rd for the reasons I mentioned.
imperial
I'd like to see Trinidad face the winner of Mirnda Pasqual ..
BigG
I dont kno if Duddy would beat the pisss out of Tito. He's got poor defense compared to someone like Winky/Roy, and he struggled with a shot Yori Boy Campas.
PR316
Oscar won't fight Tito. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that Oscar won't take the fight.

1- Oscar is fat and slow at 160 and he knows Trinidad is much more comfortable at the weight htan he is.

2- Oscar won't split 50 50 with Tito.

3- Oscar wants somebody that has no chance of beating him on May 3rd.

Oscar will probably fight a smaller guy with a somewhat slick style that probably has never fought before as a welterweight and whom will make him look good so that his fans get excited again.

The public is being fooled again.
BigG
I think Oscar will fight Forbes...
Mean Mister Mustard
Why not Alex Bunema?

Duddy won't be kicking the piss out of Trinidad anytime soon. Let's say the fight happens and Tito is able to make 160, he would beat Duddy no doubt about it. Look, Trinidad lost against a faster and bigger opponent who is a good fighter.

Duddy is.... well Duddy is Duddy. Good hanspeed, power and a porous defense. He is not as skilled as anyone Trinidad. Jones blocked Trinidad's punches and was able to absorb the bodyshots. Would Duddy be able to? The bodyshots would be the elast oh his worries, Trinidad is a sharpshooter and this would closely resemble the Mayorga beating.

Actually the more I think about this the more I think the fight should happen.
BigJuicyHog
He should either get serious about fighting or just hang them up for good. I think Pavlik would blast him out in ugly fashion, and Taylor win an easy fight by later stoppage or coasts to a decision.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Hatuey @ Jan 20 2008, 03:06 PM) [snapback]375797[/snapback]
LOL! At this stage Duddy would beat the piss out of Trinidad, he just doesn't have it anymore, and trying to fool the public into believing, that what once was, .....is still the same now, is only setting him up for failure. He needs to retire now before his African, Spanish, and Taino Indian ancestors start rolling in their graves...

duddy is not "beating the piss" out of anyone son. wouldnt be a bad fight at all for tito at the garden, and he surely wins this by KO.

it is mind boggling as to why people are saying that tito is tarnishing his legacy?? everyone with half a brain knows that this isnt a prime trinidad. do you guys think less of ray leonard because terry norris whooped his ass??

i think if matched right that tito could produce some decent fights. i would give him a chance against taylor, but not so sure about pavlik. a tito vs miranda fight would be one hell of a scrap as well.
BigG
I dont think Tito beats Pavlik...I'd favor Pav by early KO.
BrutalBodyShots
I think Pavlik stops Trinidad in about 4 rounds at 160.

Trinidad-Miranda would be a good one and a more realistic fight for Trinidad. I'd see that one more as a back and forth type of fight that would be entertaining and could go either way.

D-MARV
For Tito I say it's Oscar or retirement! There's no one else out there for him to fight. Tito will beat Duddy but that will do nothing for Tito! Pavilik would KO Tito at this point. Miranda is too big and Strong for Tito! Calzaghe will mop the floor with Tito. Taylor-Trinidad will be intresting, but I have to give the nod to Taylor at this point. There's no winnable fight out there other than Oscar.
PR316
I think Pavlik would beat Tito. Too big and too strong with a killer instinct. Jermain Taylor at this point would probably beat Tito but I doubt he KO's him. If Roy at 170 didn't accomplish it, then I doubt that JT does it, especially this version of Taylor who didn't have the confidence to let his hands go against light hitting guys with suspect chins like Kassim Ouma and Cory Spinks. Tito would be very live against Jermain and he would stand a chance at KOing him, especially if Taylor gets another beatdown in February.

Calzaghe is not a good matchup for Tito. Bad styles there.

I think Tito would have a good shot at beating Jeff Lacy at 168.

I'm pretty convinced Tito would beat Oscar at 160 either via close UD or a late stoppage. Oscar at 160 is slow and lethargic, and doesn't have the energy to fight for 12 strong rounds. He would start fast and be ahead after 6 rounds, but Tito's pressure would take its toll on Oscar. And I don't see Oscar dealing with the bodyshots too well.

There isn't much out there for Tito IMO. I think if he isn't going to retire, then he should try to get a fight with Oscar. If he can't get that, I don't see any reason to fight on. The guy gave alot to the sport and doesn't deserve to take a vicious beating.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 21 2008, 08:18 PM) [snapback]375951[/snapback]
I would take Trinidad over Taylor.

I kinda thought that Trinidad was the kind of fighter Taylor could look like a world beater against. Trinidad comes straight at you, no lateral foot or headmovement. Taylor may actuallyt hit on 60% of his Jabs and eventually finish trinidad off. taylor's problems come from overly defensive fighters, like Wright, Hopkins, Spinks. he even had some success against Pavlik. Pavlik overcame Taylor with his superior size and power. Tito is all offense and little to no defense. Its all or nothing with him. Taylor had better get him out before the 5th round because he would definately gas and be prone to Tito's hooks and bodyshots. Bot overall, I'd pick taylor to beat Tito, probably by stoppage.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 21 2008, 10:12 AM) [snapback]375870[/snapback]
Oscar won't fight Tito. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that Oscar won't take the fight.
1- Oscar is fat and slow at 160 and he knows Trinidad is much more comfortable at the weight htan he is.

2- Oscar won't split 50 50 with Tito.

3- Oscar wants somebody that has no chance of beating him on May 3rd.
Oscar will probably fight a smaller guy with a somewhat slick style that probably has never fought before as a welterweight and whom will make him look good so that his fans get excited again.
The public is being fooled again.

If its Stevie Forbes, I think Oscar loses...
Warlord
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jan 20 2008, 09:12 AM) [snapback]375701[/snapback]
It's not that he can't make 160 because he's physically unable, he can't and won;t make 160 cause he's a lay twinkie eating fighter now. he won't roll out of bed and work out, he'll roll out of bed and have some hot dogs.

laugh.gif
PR316
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jan 22 2008, 02:07 AM) [snapback]375953[/snapback]
If its Stevie Forbes, I think Oscar loses...

It appears it is Stevie Forbes indeed. Hopefully your prediction comes true.
streetlion1
Trinidad loses by K.O to both Pavlik and Taylor at 160. DLH easily out boxes him and maybe K.O's him at 154. I would see him beating a guy like Spinks. Trinidad should take one more than retire I dont think he has it anymore....which shows what I think of ORJJ.
BigG
DLH doesnt KO Tito...
streetlion1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 23 2008, 12:08 PM) [snapback]376121[/snapback]
DLH doesnt KO Tito...

your probably right thats why I threw that "maybe" in there.....but I doubt Tito could make 154 anyway.
PR316
I think Tito stops Oscar at 160. De La Hoya is slow and lethargic at that weight and he doesn't have the movement of his youth to keep Trinidad at a distance.

But it would be a much better fight this time around with more action. Tito couldn't make 154 so I don't think we can analyze a fight at that weight.
Douchebag
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 23 2008, 12:55 PM) [snapback]376120[/snapback]
Trinidad loses by K.O to both Pavlik and Taylor at 160. DLH easily out boxes him and maybe K.O's him at 154 thumbsdown_anim.gif . I would see him beating a guy like Spinks. Trinidad should take one more than retire I dont think he has it anymore....which shows what I think of ORJJ.

streetlion1
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 23 2008, 12:22 PM) [snapback]376127[/snapback]
I think Tito stops Oscar at 160. De La Hoya is slow and lethargic at that weight and he doesn't have the movement of his youth to keep Trinidad at a distance.
But it would be a much better fight this time around with more action. Tito couldn't make 154 so I don't think we can analyze a fight at that weight.

yeah DLH is one of my favs so I didnt like seeing him at 160...there is only so far up a guy can go before the size and power of other fighters get to him. However that being said..I dont like what I see from Trinidad at 160 and above either.
PR316
Tito's best weight is definitely not 160, but even at that it took two HOF fighters to beat him.

Be that as it may, I think Tito has shown us that at the middleweight limit, he's more comfortable there than Oscar, punches sharper, has a better workrate, and better stamina than Oscar at that weight.

If this rematch occurs, it would have to be no lower than that weight class because Tito can't go lower.
Yucayeke
Soloboxeo - A Spanish website is announcing that Trinidad v. Taylor is a done deal for end of Sept / beginning of October. Anyone hear about this?
WolfishPromistah
Tito could make 160 if he really wants to. Just let the money talk to him and get him to agree. I feel that way after seeing his flabby-ish body at 170 that showed there was room he could take off more. The problem for him is merely the dedication to do so. Yep, I'd bank on him doing it, which he would if he were carrying either a Bernard Hopkins or Floyd Mayweather mentality at this point. He ain't, however -- so done deal.
BigG
Man, Taylors gonna smash Tito.

To be honest, I'd love to see Tito against some of the guys at 154 (Forrest, Spinks) but he definitely cant make the weight....
PR316
I'd only be interested in seeing Trinidad against Oscar De La Hoya at either 160 or some sort of catch weight around there. The thought of Tito fighting younger fighters at this point is just not really appealing. What has he done to deserve a fight against Pavlik anyway?
Tha Docta
QUOTE(PR316 @ Apr 11 2008, 01:05 PM) [snapback]385728[/snapback]
I'd only be interested in seeing Trinidad against Oscar De La Hoya at either 160 or some sort of catch weight around there. The thought of Tito fighting younger fighters at this point is just not really appealing. What has he done to deserve a fight against Pavlik anyway?

he really hasnt done anything other than get his opponents millions and millions of dollars. pavlik would make more money fighting tito than anyone else right now i believe. maybe roy jones, but i think tito brings in more money than jones.
Method
I don't think Trinidad should retire, but his match makers should be SHOT!!!!!!
Douchebag
QUOTE(Method @ Apr 11 2008, 01:57 PM) [snapback]385733[/snapback]
I don't think Trinidad should retire, but his match makers should be SHOT!!!!!!

This so very true.
PR316
Considering that Trinidad hasn't fought frequently at all these past few years should indicate that he's pretty fresh. He's only taken 1 real beating in his career. But I just dont think the desire is really there. He struggled to make the weight limit of 170 pounds for crying out loud. That right there is enough to tell me that he's not really INTO IT, if you know what I mean. I think he's just bored with life away from boxing so he goes in there every now and then for a pretty big chunk of change and has fun in the ring. But he's not serious about making a real comeback or trying to compete at the top level. If he was, he'd have gotten himself down to 160 pounds, fought a couple of tune up fights to get the activity going again, and then try and challenge either Sturm or Pavlik. But he's just using his name to get big money fights that don't necessarily mean much. Thats why I say if he's going to continue doing that, then just fight Oscar at around 166 pounds, make the biggest career purse of his life, and if he wins, then maybe go on until he gets his ass kicked, and if he loses, then hang it up for sure because Oscar is nothing these days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.