Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has more Heart?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
The CEO
Mayweather.

You can close this thread now...laugh.gif
CyruS
Mayweather by a mile. He is such a good hearted person he let's the ringpost do the knockdowns for him as to not crush his hatton competition.

I mean competition.
The CEO
HA HAAAA!!
BigG
Theres ONLY OOOOONNEEE MAYWEATHER
He talks the talk, he walks the walk
He's walking in the Money Wonderland

LOL but seriously,

I dont know. Roy has always been a cautious guy. Thats just how he is. I thought he showed heart after Tarver made him do a dance in round 11. He actually chased Tarver down and tried to get at him while he was wobbled. Then again Roy is a counter-puncher/boxer by nature. He's not gonna go in there and block punches with his face like Gatti or Ward.
The CEO
QUOTE( Big G)
He talks the talk, he walks the walk
He's walking in the Money Wonderland

laugh.gif

If only Money May could rhyme...

Roy probably edges him in that category...but I really wouldn't know...seeing how I've never heard Jones' shit.

laugh.gif
BigG
Thats actually a rhyme form Money Mayweather himself.

LOL Dont sleep on Jones rap skills. He had a few decent tracks on his album.
kidbazooka1
Neither, both are heartless muthaf*ckers.

j/k I would say Jones cause atleast he took on better challenges in his day.
Lil-lightsout
They both got more heart than anyone on this board! They had hundreds of amateur fights, fought in the Olympics, won crazy number of championships at several weight classes, and put there life at risk everytime they step in the ring. Yeah... it is safe to say no one should question there hearts.
ROLL DEEP
Who has more heart?

They both have bucket loads. To fight for as long as they have shows they do.

They are both naturally defensive minded counter punchers, so people will generally question their heart.
Mean Mister Mustard
Mayweather doesn't have much heart either as a fighter or as a human being. fuck.gif
The CEO
You're absolutely right, Fitz...we are totally allowed to question their Heart.

besides...I'm sure I have more courage than both of them combined...in my prime, I faced and destroyed 30, five year old kids at the same time.

laugh.gif

D-MARV
You guys are crazy! How can you think that RJJ has no heart! DId you see the first Tarver fight? RJJ challenged a Heavyweight and showed tremendous heart in that fight. Are you guys serious? To answer the question I say RJJ has more heart simply because he took more risks through his career. BUt Mayweather has heart as well.
imperial
Jones ...If he can still come back after back to back KO's its a no brainer I bet if and when MW loses he retires and talks about his safety !
streetlion1
Who has more heart?! I would say RJJ by a mile! RJJ was on top and he fought a bunch of bums...but being that he was in one weight class pretty much the whole time he cant be blamed for the lack of competition he faced. Mayweather on the other hand...moved from class to class...fought a couple good fighters and it seemed he was the shit...until now when he hit welter. As a welter he has no heart otherwise he would fight the toughest competition. Turning down big paydays against Mosley and Margarito....seemingly ducking Cotto..he is now a joke...he wants to talk about his place in history and say he is one of the greatest of all time...YEAH RIGHT! As a welter he has no heart! The fact that he is rated the best pound for pound is a joke! Fight some real competition Floyd!....not a past his prime DLH or a fighter with no defense and a suck-ass style like poor little Ricky!
Southeastpaw
Well, while we have not seen Mayweather KOed, we have seen him shook up and Knocked down(even though it was not recognized as a KD in the Judah fight. But after being wobbled badly and knocked down, he got even stroger and went on to deliver some serious whuppins on those opponents. So while I think that Jones does have heart, he still shows signs of being afraid, IMO. So I would say that Mayweather has a bigger heart.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 20 2008, 12:16 PM) [snapback]375721[/snapback]
You guys are crazy! How can you think that RJJ has no heart! DId you see the first Tarver fight? RJJ challenged a Heavyweight and showed tremendous heart in that fight. Are you guys serious? To answer the question I say RJJ has more heart simply because he took more risks through his career. BUt Mayweather has heart as well.

Thats what I was saying.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 20 2008, 08:35 AM) [snapback]375694[/snapback]
I never like when anyone uses this line.

They are professional athletes and we are fans. We are allowed to question them and criticise them, as that's part of the job of being a fan. Sure it takes some courage to step into a ring, but when they are all professionals, some of them display no heart which is why it's fine for fans to point that out. It's not fair for guys like Morales to be put in the same boat as someone like RJJ. "Hey, you's both fight, you's both have heart."
They are both pro fighters and we compare them to other pro fighters, that's what fans do and it would be pretty boring if we didn't. But we do compare fighters and when we do, Morales has heart and a guy like RJJ doesn't.
Guinn sucks big time as a fighter, but I'm sure he can still kick my ass. We aren't saying we are better than them, but we judge them to others. If we follow your rule, it's like we can't have an opinion because we don't fight.

I understand what you are saying. But because a fighter like Morales or Gatti have totally different styles of fighting than say a Roy Jones or Mayweather, I say Roy or Floyd are using there God giving talent in different way. They fight smarter IMO, they are using there best attributes to put them in as little risk as possible. I just think both Roy and Floyd show heart, maybe just in the same way as some other "warriors" do. Again, I do agree with what you are saying too.

Also, don't sell yourself short, Guinn is on a losing streak and is a mental case. You might be able to get a decision on him grin.gif
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 20 2008, 07:02 AM) [snapback]375660[/snapback]
It's easy to say Mayweather now, but not sure how Mayweather would react later if he was to get knocked out.

We have seen Mayweather show some serious balls against no giant in Ricky Hatton, Arturo Gatti, Bruseles, N'Dou and then see him show none against DLH and Baldomir.

You's can make up your mind.

PBF has never displayed heart IMO. Skills yes but not heart & that is because he has never been put in a situation where he has had to.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 20 2008, 04:57 PM) [snapback]375806[/snapback]
PBF has never displayed heart IMO. Skills yes but not heart & that is because he has never been put in a situation where he has had to.

Sure he has.
STEVENSKI
When?

I mean getting in the ring shows heart for sure but when has he ever had to show his heart & will?
Southeastpaw
I had stated 2 times earlier in this thread.

Also, I was not expecting Floyd to stand in with Hatton the way he did. Nobody really did. I remember Hatton even saying that Mayweather was going to run all night because if Floyd decided to stand with him he'd get KOed. So for me, it was impressive and surprising to see Floyd stand his ground the way he did and not waiver. So he deserves props for doing what many did not think he was going to do. I thought he showed heart in that fight as well.
imperial
The second one didn't handle getting knocked out too well and since then he has shown no heart and this is why he isn't in the same category as a Robinson, Leonard or Ali. Someone great would have picked themselves up, dusted themselves off and carried themselves in a better manner. Roy Jones Jr did what someone great wouldn't do.

Considering he's still fighting after everyone and their mother called for his retirmenet after his losses to Tarver and Johnson says allot about the mans heart ..If i'm not mistaken he is doing exactly what you would expect him to do and that is pick himself up and continue on ..But if you want to knit pick how he's doing it thats your opinion but its more heart than anything MW has ever showed !!
STEVENSKI
Sorry but tasting a couple of shots & going on to dominate a mental midget like Judah does not constitute showing heart. Anyone who knows boxing saw the fight going exactly the way it went with Judah starting fast & then mentally breaking down by round 5 en route to losing a UD.

PBF has never shown heart because he has never been put in a situation where he has had to. The closest he came was when Corley wobbled him for 10 seconds.
lilpoppapump
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 21 2008, 12:00 AM) [snapback]375845[/snapback]
Sorry but tasting a couple of shots & going on to dominate a mental midget like Judah does not constitute showing heart. Anyone who knows boxing saw the fight going exactly the way it went with Judah starting fast & then mentally breaking down by round 5 en route to losing a UD.

PBF has never shown heart because he has never been put in a situation where he has had to. The closest he came was when Corley wobbled him for 10 seconds.

What about when Mayweather injured his hand against Hernandez and suffered his first knock down? Does that not count? Gatti gets credit for it.
STEVENSKI
Nup. I don't anyway.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Jan 20 2008, 07:30 PM) [snapback]375823[/snapback]
I had stated 2 times earlier in this thread.

Also, I was not expecting Floyd to stand in with Hatton the way he did. Nobody really did. I remember Hatton even saying that Mayweather was going to run all night because if Floyd decided to stand with him he'd get KOed. So for me, it was impressive and surprising to see Floyd stand his ground the way he did and not waiver. So he deserves props for doing what many did not think he was going to do. I thought he showed heart in that fight as well.

Come on...anyone at 147 can stand in against Hatton and his defenseless style! PBF showed heart one time when he broke his hand. In terms of picking opponents...he is a coward! thumbsdown_anim.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
I think people are evaluating a fighter's heart compared to never say die guys like Gatti and Corrales. Fact is, displaying heart is more than just engaging in a war, it's also about who wants it more and how they overcome certain situations, not just beatings.

Consider PBF's fight with Judah. First 4 rounds Judah was beating Mayweather to the punch and Mayweather looked decisevely uncomfortable in there. He could have probably found a way to effectively box Judah from the outside and he would have won a close decision, that's how good Judah is if you fight him from the outside. But instead Mayweather decided to go in there and grind Judah down on the inside, risking getting caught in the chin. I think he displayed heart in that fight.

Special fighters show heart in close fights like that, well the Judah fight could have been close but Mayweather changed tactics. Another example is the recent Calzaghe-Kessler fight. Up to round 5 the fight seemed like it was going to be very close, Calzaghe was getting caught with some good punches. Now he could have just said " Man this Dane hits hard, I'm just going to get on my toes and box him all night." But no, he decided to dart in and out, echange against Kessler in spots and throw combinations. And he effectivley backed Kessler up. As much as I was rooting for Kessler, you have to admit Calzaghe showed more heart in that fight than him.

As far as who has more heart between RJJ and PBF, it's a bit hard to say, Mayweather can sit in the pocket when he wants to, he can adapt and overcome. RJJ did show heart in the first Tarver fight. He was dead tired, red and the fight was close. In the 10'th 11th and especially the 12th, he let his hands go and justly got the decision. But I can't get the image of him playing defense against Tarver in their rubbermatch and then admitting that he was glad he went the distance.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 22 2008, 12:00 PM) [snapback]376007[/snapback]
I think people are evaluating a fighter's heart compared to never say die guys like Gatti and Corrales. Fact is, displaying heart is more than just engaging in a war, it's also about who wants it more and how they overcome certain situations, not just beatings.

Consider PBF's fight with Judah. First 4 rounds Judah was beating Mayweather to the punch and Mayweather looked decisevely uncomfortable in there. He could have probably found a way to effectively box Judah from the outside and he would have won a close decision, that's how good Judah is if you fight him from the outside. But instead Mayweather decided to go in there and grind Judah down on the inside, risking getting caught in the chin. I think he displayed heart in that fight.

Special fighters show heart in close fights like that, well the Judah fight could have been close but Mayweather changed tactics. Another example is the recent Calzaghe-Kessler fight. Up to round 5 the fight seemed like it was going to be very close, Calzaghe was getting caught with some good punches. Now he could have just said " Man this Dane hits hard, I'm just going to get on my toes and box him all night." But no, he decided to dart in and out, echange against Kessler in spots and throw combinations. And he effectivley backed Kessler up. As much as I was rooting for Kessler, you have to admit Calzaghe showed more heart in that fight than him.

As far as who has more heart between RJJ and PBF, it's a bit hard to say, Mayweather can sit in the pocket when he wants to, he can adapt and overcome. RJJ did show heart in the first Tarver fight. He was dead tired, red and the fight was close. In the 10'th 11th and especially the 12th, he let his hands go and justly got the decision. But I can't get the image of him playing defense against Tarver in their rubbermatch and then admitting that he was glad he went the distance.

Well Put!
I totally agree. The guys on this thread who are saying that PBF and RJJ have no heart really dont have a clue and they are prolly just haterz!!!!!
STEVENSKI
Haterz or realists?

I think realists is a more appropriate term.
D-MARV
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 22 2008, 10:30 PM) [snapback]376079[/snapback]
Haterz or realists?

I think realists is a more appropriate term.

You're entitled to your own opinion! And Thats fine. RJJ and PBF have both shown me some heart!
I think you need to watch RJJ-Tarver 1, RJJ-Hopkins (Roy with one hand), Mayweather-Castillo 1 and 2. Mayweather fought Castillo with a torn rotator (that takes alot of heart) and Floyd Won! critics said he didnt win so He fought him again and beat him again. Roy coming back and challenging Tarver after being KO'd twice takes heart!
But like I said you are entitled to your own opinion! But I must say there is nothing "real" about your arguement thumbsdown_anim.gif
streetlion1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 22 2008, 10:12 PM) [snapback]376081[/snapback]
You're entitled to your own opinion! And Thats fine. RJJ and PBF have both shown me some heart!
I think you need to watch RJJ-Tarver 1, RJJ-Hopkins (Roy with one hand), Mayweather-Castillo 1 and 2. Mayweather fought Castillo with a torn rotator (that takes alot of heart) and Floyd Won! critics said he didnt win so He fought him again and beat him again. Roy coming back and challenging Tarver after being KO'd twice takes heart!
But like I said you are entitled to your own opinion! But I must say there is nothing "real" about your arguement thumbsdown_anim.gif

Say what u will......as a Welter PBF is a coward!
D-MARV
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 23 2008, 01:34 AM) [snapback]376088[/snapback]
Say what u will......as a Welter PBF is a coward!

Money Hungry? Yes
Coward? Nope!
streetlion1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 23 2008, 07:16 AM) [snapback]376097[/snapback]
Money Hungry? Yes
Coward? Nope!

Its easy to say he is going after $$ and not being a coward when he fights DLH...but choosing a bum like Hatton over a fight with Cotto?! Then saying I have nothing more to prove..only to fight DLH again...come on! A fight with Cotto or PW would make more $$$ than alot of people think! Whats gonna happen after he wins this fight.....retirement?! Or will he push for a 3rd DLH fight?! Eventually the boxing public is gonna put too much pressure on him to fight a true on top Welter...and watch the bitch run for cover! Im sorry but I just dont beleive its all about the $$$ I think he is being very carefull who he fights and wont ever fight a Cotto or PW.
D-MARV
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 23 2008, 12:30 PM) [snapback]376118[/snapback]
Its easy to say he is going after $$ and not being a coward when he fights DLH...but choosing a bum like Hatton over a fight with Cotto?! Then saying I have nothing more to prove..only to fight DLH again...come on! A fight with Cotto or PW would make more $$$ than alot of people think! Whats gonna happen after he wins this fight.....retirement?! Or will he push for a 3rd DLH fight?! Eventually the boxing public is gonna put too much pressure on him to fight a true on top Welter...and watch the bitch run for cover! Im sorry but I just dont beleive its all about the $$$ I think he is being very carefull who he fights and wont ever fight a Cotto or PW.

LOL, You stated my arguement!
I agree that Hatton was no risk at all for Floyd, But it was the biggest MOney fight for floyd at the time! A Hatton fight made more money than a Cotto fight or a Williams Fight at this time. Believe or Not, there are alot of Fight Fans worldwide who dont know who Miguel Cotto or Paul Williams are. Hatton Is more known than Cotto and Williams, thats why there was more money on the table. I also agree that a Williams or Cotto Fight for Floyd will bring some money but not nearly the same as an Oscar fight or a Hatton fight. Should Floyd be considered the King of the Welterweight Division? No, Not AT ALL. Does this make Floyd a Coward or Money Hungry? I would have to say Money Hungry! Floyd is far from a Coward! He just knows he dont have to take any risks when he can make twice as much for fighting easier opponents. I call this Business!
streetlion1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jan 23 2008, 01:22 PM) [snapback]376141[/snapback]
LOL, You stated my arguement!
I agree that Hatton was no risk at all for Floyd, But it was the biggest MOney fight for floyd at the time! A Hatton fight made more money than a Cotto fight or a Williams Fight at this time. Believe or Not, there are alot of Fight Fans worldwide who dont know who Miguel Cotto or Paul Williams are. Hatton Is more known than Cotto and Williams, thats why there was more money on the table. I also agree that a Williams or Cotto Fight for Floyd will bring some money but not nearly the same as an Oscar fight or a Hatton fight. Should Floyd be considered the King of the Welterweight Division? No, Not AT ALL. Does this make Floyd a Coward or Money Hungry? I would have to say Money Hungry! Floyd is far from a Coward! He just knows he dont have to take any risks when he can make twice as much for fighting easier opponents. I call this Business!

I dont think I stated your arguement...I am talking about him having no heart as a Welter by choosing soft opponents. Its business?....smart carefull business?....in my eyes and also alot of other peoples eyes I see him ducking people. Now coward might be too strong a word but how long can he play the "im tryin to get $$$" card when he is surrounded by all this talent? I have to disagree with you about the Cotto thing.....I think Cotto would draw the same support Hatton did from his native Puerto Rico. Yeah PW isnt known by everyone but he is known by those who really count and generate the buzz....the boxing public. Taking risks and getting in there with the best is what makes good fighters great. He'll never reach the status he says he wants acting like this. That is why DLH is one of my fav. fighters...he gave us fights against quality opponents and never ducked anyone. I used to be a PBF fan believe it or not until he got to Welter...and I saw what kind of "heart" he really has.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.