Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ESPN Classic boxing sucks
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
Anyone else agree? Do they have like a collection of 15 fights or something that they show all the fucking time? They have shown Whitaker-McGirt I and II, Gatti-Robinson like 3 times a month for the last 4 months or something. They just show the same fucking fighters all the time.

We have Sky Racing, and every Monday night they show boxing, the show is called "Canvas Classics". Last night they showed Vargas-Quartey (Very good fight). Much better show then ESPN Classics.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 22 2008, 03:00 AM) [snapback]375967[/snapback]
Anyone else agree? Do they have like a collection of 15 fights or something that they show all the fucking time? They have shown Whitaker-McGirt I and II, Gatti-Robinson like 3 times a month for the last 4 months or something. They just show the same fucking fighters all the time.

We have Sky Racing, and every Monday night they show boxing, the show is called "Canvas Classics". Last night they showed Vargas-Quartey (Very good fight). Much better show then ESPN Classics.

I agree,

In fact the old Superbouts series were ran for years and years. However, I didn't get cable until 1985 so it was a new experience for me. Today ESPN Classic does repeat the same matches over and over. If it's not the fights you described above, it's Ali or Tyson.

Jack
BrutalBodyShots
I kind of disagree. I have probably 200-300 fights on DVD that I've recorded on my DVR from ESPN Classic in the last 3-4 months, so clearly they have a lot of content. I fully agree that they do show certain fights like Holyfield/Bowe and such way too many times, but if you do a search you'll find more. They show about 4 fights a day generally speaking, most are late at night. I DVR everything that I don't have recorded to DVD already, which usually ends up being at least a fight a day.

BrutalBodyShots
Oh by the way, there are 2 things that IMO "suck" about ESPN Classic boxing. I don't like commercials during fights; I like to see what is going on in between rounds in the corners. 80% of the the ESPN Classic takes you to commercials in between rounds, but sometimes they stay through. The other thing that I don't like is the commentary. There are probably 4-5 different teams of commentators for the fights they show... some are better than others but the commentary is really hit or miss.

As of now I don't have any complaints on the content however, but once I get maxed out and have everything on DVD I might be whistling a different tune.

salvador
I'm just thrilled to death that someone is showing all these old fights.
Big Slim Sweet
They must have cut a deal with Main Events ayear ago, cause it seems that of the more modern fights they air (late 80's, 90's, etc.) it's pretty much all Holyfield, Pernell, Evander and Lennox. I'm pretty sure all guys fought for Main Events during their primes.

It is generally the same three or four fights they show over and over, but occasionally they'll drop something new into the mix.

The part about the commentating that I hate is the fact it's frequently overdubbed. Joe Tessitore and Joe Mesi doing a fight from 15 years ago? C'mon, that's crap. To me it's highly distracting watching for example the first half of the 10th round of Bowe-Holyfield 1 listening to Tessitore and knowing he knows what's going to happen. But I guess for younger fans who didn't see the fight live it's not as big a deal perhaps.
Jack 1000
And sometimes, ESPN Classic will edit rounds, (to make way for more commercials.)

Jack
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 22 2008, 10:38 AM) [snapback]375970[/snapback]
Yeah, that's what I mean. I find ESPN show your typical cliche fights. Ali, Tyson, Frazier (most of the big heavyweight fights), They never have anything new. This other show Canvas Classics is much better. These are the fights I have seen in the last couple of months.
  • Vargas-Quartey
  • Mayweather-Corrales
  • Lewis-Morrison
  • Mercer-Cooper
  • Holmes-Witherspoon
  • Holmes-Cooney
  • Rahman-Maskaev
  • Castillo-Johnson
  • Bowe-Holyfield
  • Fabulous 4 Documentary
  • LaMotta highlights
They show much better stuff on this show. ESPN just repeat the same crap over and over, and ESPN drain it with the commercials.

I cry salty tears as i always forget that this is on Monday's at 11.30. Fuck me there is some good quality fights there.
Lil-lightsout
HBO NEEDS to start showing alot of there classic fights. Why in the hell do they never replay old fights on a regular basis? They have like 10 HBO channels, fight fans would love it if they did that. I have been an avid boxing fan for almost 20 years, it is a shame alot of younger fans miss out on so many awesome fights.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 22 2008, 06:12 PM) [snapback]376052[/snapback]
HBO NEEDS to start showing alot of there classic fights. Why in the hell do they never replay old fights on a regular basis? They have like 10 HBO channels, fight fans would love it if they did that. I have been an avid boxing fan for almost 20 years, it is a shame alot of younger fans miss out on so many awesome fights.

I agree. It would be awesome if HBO and Showtime did this. I do like how they always have a few ON DEMAND fights available to watch at any given time, but they leave those on for a solid month before rotating them.

Fitz, it sounds like things here are much different than where you are!

I just looked ahead to the fights that are coming up in the next day or two on ESPN Classic.

There are your typical reruns... a few Whitaker and Tyson fights. For older stuff there was a Fullmer fight and a Patterson fight. A few randoms though were Mercer/Wilson from 1994, Morrison/Puritty I think from the same year and Brewer/Pemberton from 2002. Brewer/Pemberton was a good scrap and entertaining. I have that one and Mercer/Wilson recorded already but will add Morrison/Puritty to the collection.

My local guide doesn't usually go out more than 2 days, but that's at least 8 fights in the next 2 days, so 4 a day on average like I was saying.

stateofthegame
I agree about the commentary. When Mesi and Tessitore are commentating a fight from 10 years ago and act like they were there live commentating it drives me insane.

Another thing I do not like is that they do replay the same fights yet every now and then they will show a Micky Ward fight that I do not have and I miss it, but they will not replay it for like two months and when they finally do it is at the same time as a current fight on another channel.
STEVENSKI
I still feel bad that I have not sent that UFC stuff but I have just been so damm lazy lately.
kidbazooka1
The spanish version of ESPN classics actualy shows prettty good fights.

Arguello v Olivares
Benitez v Palomino
Benitez v Leonard
Gomez v Pintor
Arguello v Mancini

Have been shown within the last few months.
BrutalBodyShots
I like when ESPNC does those marathons (usually on Saturday's) where they should like 6 or 8 fights with the same fighter. Last weekend they did Joe Frazier. Recently they did a Micky Ward run. Arguello was a few weeks back too.

BigG
What HBO SHOULD be doing is making more Legendary Nights episodes..
stateofthegame
I missed the Micky Ward run, I bet they did it while I was on vacation. That seems to be the trend. They show things I want to watch when there is no possible way for me to do it. I think ESPN has spies on me.
BrutalBodyShots
LOL.

Ward/Burton is a must have.

I actually carded that fight for Burton by a point. Anyone else score it?

The CEO
I pretty much gave up on this show a while back...it seemed like they were showing Foreman-Morrison every time it was on...

I'll give it another look and see if they have something I don't already have on PC...hopefully there'll be something I can record on my new DVR...
BrutalBodyShots
I've got it recording a few Casamayor fights from a few years back that I don't have. I think they are on Saturday.
stateofthegame
If they are it is more than likely at the same time as Povetkin/Chambers and since I do not have DVR ESPN screws me again.
Jerry Springer
The problem is that ESPN has a huge library of fights, but it doesn't want to spend money to produce new shows.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 22 2008, 07:49 AM) [snapback]375973[/snapback]
I kind of disagree. I have probably 200-300 fights on DVD that I've recorded on my DVR from ESPN Classic in the last 3-4 months, so clearly they have a lot of content. I fully agree that they do show certain fights like Holyfield/Bowe and such way too many times, but if you do a search you'll find more. They show about 4 fights a day generally speaking, most are late at night. I DVR everything that I don't have recorded to DVD already, which usually ends up being at least a fight a day.

Classic does show fights over and over, but they do sqeeze in some gems. I just hat when they show a ten round fight and delete a round just to show the interviews after the fight. What the hell is that??

Showtime is now showing classic fights every Tuesday night.

HBO only shows old fights if there is a big fight on that Saturday. HBO and Showtime should be showing classic fights every week. And by classic I mean 70's & 80's not a fight from last year.
Fitz
Went to a DVD stall (not a shop, more like a cart that is in the middle of the mall) at my local shopping center yesterday. They had a DVD which was Morales vs Pacquiao. The DVD looked so dodgy, I'm sure they aren't even allowed to do this (someone recording the PPV, putting it on DVD and making there own cover) lol.
I don't care, but I asked the lady that worked there if she has a list of DVD's they get because I wanted to know if they had other boxing fights on DVD. She said the list is only for the people that work there, but said what ever is on the shelf is what they get, lol.
hardhead
My beef with the classic rebroadcast is how the announcers(Tessitore) doing the commentary act like they don't know the outcome and talk as if the they're doing the fight live, I don't like that approach, they should just talk about the fight the same way any of us would talk about a fight that we were watching again years later, you don't have to pretend you've never seen the fight. Really I can't watch the fights that don't have the original commentary because it annoys me that much.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.