Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jones - Trinidad Exceeds 500,000 Buys
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JD
This info is per Dan Rafael and direct from Mark Taffet.

I can comfortably say that there is not a person involved in the promotion that is disappointed in this number. Will be curious to see the final tally.
imperial
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 24 2008, 09:01 PM) [snapback]376309[/snapback]
This info is per Dan Rafael and direct from Mark Taffet.

I can comfortably say that there is not a person involved in the promotion that is disappointed in this number. Will be curious to see the final tally.

It just goes to show you that these two still bring them in ..Imagine if Calzaghe beats Hopkins and then fights Jones that could be 600 k easily ..Trinidad /DLH 2 another 1.5 easy ..
stateofthegame
either that or just schedule two Hall of Fame fighters to face each other on PPV when nothing else of any importance has been scheduled for a long period of time and the boxing starved public will run to buy it.
CyruS
Bigger number than I expected, but that just goes to show what a drawing name can do once again (ala delahoya). Trinidad's fake comeback for money ass can still draw big.
MarzB
Wow, that is a nice number. Does anyone know off hand the numbers of Tito vs. Winky or Tito vs. Mayorga??

I was definitely NOT expecting that high.. Regarding Fitz's last post, I don't agree. The undercard was good and entertaining. Devon Alexander seems like a great prospect and the other fights were very entertaining. I had a getogether of people who could care less about boxing and they were all entertained by the Karmazin & Golotta fights..
MarzB
Wow, that is a nice number. Does anyone know off hand the numbers of Tito vs. Winky or Tito vs. Mayorga??

I was definitely NOT expecting that high.. Regarding Fitz's last post, I don't agree. The undercard was good and entertaining. Devon Alexander seems like a great prospect and the other fights were very entertaining. I had a getogether of people who could care less about boxing and they were all entertained by the Karmazin & Golotta fights..
hardhead
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jan 25 2008, 03:38 AM) [snapback]376319[/snapback]

I agree overall I enjoyed the card, wished it was 10 bucks cheaper but with nothing going on that weekend and not having a fight on in about a month I hit the select button...
thehype
I'm shocked at those numbers. I was expecting less.

I actually thought the fight itself was okay...definitely better than I expected...but admittedly, I wasn't expecting much.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 24 2008, 11:07 PM) [snapback]376314[/snapback]
That just means that there were a lot of disappointed people.

Even though my guy didn't win I don't think the fight was all that bad.
STEVENSKI
Jones is a disgrace pure & simple. He failed to stop Trinidad & I could not give a shit if he won by decision he failed to do what he claimed he would & if it went past 6 then it was a fix. You fixed the paying public good you fuckin fraud so go kill yourself & do us all a favour.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 25 2008, 03:04 AM) [snapback]376335[/snapback]
You would love pro wrestling then. There are a lot of crappy wrestlers that get carried through fights as well.

Jones didn't carry him he just didn't have the heart to go for the KO.

Either way I've seen much less entertaining fights that invloved Mayweather.
BigG
Because Taylor is in his prime and had just beaten Hopkins.

Jones is 39, and is clearly past his prime. A win is a win. Tito came to win and fought hard. It's not like he came in there halfassed. The man fought hard to the end.
Douchebag
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 25 2008, 05:48 AM) [snapback]376342[/snapback]
Because Taylor is in his prime and had just beaten Hopkins.

Jones is 39, and is clearly past his prime. A win is a win. Tito came to win and fought hard. It's not like he came in there halfassed. The man fought hard to the end.

I agree, I guess the reason why I give Jones a pass is because I didn't expect Tito to fight as hard as he did. I thought Tito would have come taken his beating for 3 to 4 rounds, collected his check and went home. Jones still should have put him away after the first knock down, though.
rusty_trombone
Newsflash: Puerto Ricans still love Trinidad, he's their hero.

I guess they like Roberto Clemente also.
Achille
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 25 2008, 06:25 AM) [snapback]376343[/snapback]
I agree, I guess the reason why I give Jones a pass is because I didn't expect Tito to fight as hard as he did. I thought Tito would have come taken his beating for 3 to 4 rounds, collected his check and went home. Jones still should have put him away after the first knock down, though.

Well Jones was injured he couldn't throw his hooks because he had a tore ligament in his bicep, and RJJ wasn't throwing to the body either that much. I think if he wasn't injured he would of been less selective with his punches, as you can see he had his hands up a lot more for this fight then he usually does. I definitely wish he would of went for the finish in the 7th especially after all the talk before the fight.
Spyder
I was happy with the fight. I wanted the KO too, but I wasn't dissappointed with either guy.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Achille @ Jan 25 2008, 09:32 AM) [snapback]376354[/snapback]
Well Jones was injured he couldn't throw his hooks because he had a tore ligament in his bicep, and RJJ wasn't throwing to the body either that much. I think if he wasn't injured he would of been less selective with his punches, as you can see he had his hands up a lot more for this fight then he usually does. I definitely wish he would of went for the finish in the 7th especially after all the talk before the fight.

He also hurt his knuckle in the fight due to the everlast gloves. Some of you guys never cease to amaze me, the hating just never stops. The main event and the undercard were entertaining and the fight did half a million buys. Haters, you were wrong about the fight just accept it and move on. As I said in the preview thread before the fight...you don't have to have high stakes for a fight to be entertaining and/or successful.
BrutalBodyShots
I think it's BS that Jones didn't try to stop Trinidad following the first knockdown.

Method
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jan 25 2008, 07:43 AM) [snapback]376345[/snapback]
Newsflash: Puerto Ricans still love Trinidad, he's their hero.

I guess they like Roberto Clemente also.

Agreed.

Fight did pretty well...not too too surprised there.

I am surprised that the Garden only got ~ 12,000, with all the tickets they slashed/gave away.

Unlike some here, I thought the undercard was HORRIFIC! Jesus Christ of that Golota / Mosso fight wasn't a walk out bout. and Karmazin? The Alexander fight was tight. I dug that. But it felt like it was a week before the Trinidad/Jones. That's the problem w Don King cards....he stacks them up w bullshit. I mean, for the main event to start at like 12:30 -12:45. No reason for that.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 25 2008, 04:32 AM) [snapback]376339[/snapback]
Trinidad was carried. Whether it was directly or indirectly is another story.
Scenario I - Jones didn't have the heart to go for the KO and toyed with Trinidad. He still carried him (whether it was his intention or not).
Scenario II - Jones carried Trinidad (his intention)

I know Mayweather has been in less entertaining fights. I'm not saying this fight put me to sleep either. All I'm saying is that Jones didn't do what he was supposed to do. He either didn't have the heart or he carried Trinidad. I'm not pleased with either scenario.

Taylor gets crucified for not stopping Spinks and Ouma. People turn the other cheek when Jones does it. Which is what I don't understand.

Just look at this damn poll:
http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.p...amp;hl=Trinidad

6 for Jones Decision
21 for Jones KO/TKO
2 for Trinidad KO/TKO

The betting lines indicated that many felt Jones was supposed to stop him as well. I'm really not saying the fight was boring, it just totally stuns me how there has been virtually no backlash on Jones for not stopping Tito except for me and a few others.

I see where you are coming from but I think the reason why some may not have been so hard on Jones like they were with Taylor is because Jermaine was in his prime and couldn't put away two fighters who are not realy on the same level as he was and were never realy considered the cream of the crop.

Jones on the other hand was the bigger guy but was also 39 and was facing a legend in Trinidad who unlike Ouma and Spinks carried one punch power(maybe not at 170lb but you know what I mean) just my opinion.
basicjab
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 26 2008, 01:02 AM) [snapback]376432[/snapback]
Baaaah. That's the whole point, yes Tito fought hard but it was Jones that didn't fight hard, went in there halfassed and didn't fight hard to the end.

I agree that Tito gave it his all and Roy didn't, he could have taken more chances after the first KD, Tito was really hurt. For that I'd say Roy did not put on an inspiring performance. For Tito, what can I say, he was just too small, his punches had no effect on Roy at all, he needs to retire or move his lazy ass back down to 154... lol
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Achille @ Jan 25 2008, 03:32 PM) [snapback]376354[/snapback]

Jesus some of the people on here make me cry. All the pathetic excuses for Jones about him being "injured" are a crock. Jones is a fraud & displayed it fully in this fight. Disgraceful effort & he should not be congraulated nor applauded for his lack of effort.

Roy you are nothing short of a disgrace to the sport & I would not be suprised if you laid big money on you winning a decision through various 3rd parties & carried Tito.
imperial
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 28 2008, 07:45 PM) [snapback]376759[/snapback]
Jesus some of the people on here make me cry. All the pathetic excuses for Jones about him being "injured" are a crock. Jones is a fraud & displayed it fully in this fight. Disgraceful effort & he should not be congraulated nor applauded for his lack of effort.

Roy you are nothing short of a disgrace to the sport & I would not be suprised if you laid big money on you winning a decision through various 3rd parties & carried Tito.

This is his 3rd win by UD what makes him a fraud ?? Was Trinidad just supposed to lay down ?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(imperial @ Jan 29 2008, 02:11 AM) [snapback]376778[/snapback]
This is his 3rd win by UD what makes him a fraud ?? Was Trinidad just supposed to lay down ?

No Tito is renowned as chinny & Roy is a pretty heavy puncher at 168+. The fact that he failed to stop the man after his bold claims & the odds on him going the distance being what they were I am suspicious of his actions.

C'mon guys take those fucking blinkers off & smell the coffee. This man is as counterfit as a $3.00 bill.
imperial
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 28 2008, 09:23 PM) [snapback]376785[/snapback]
No Tito is renowned as chinny & Roy is a pretty heavy puncher at 168+. The fact that he failed to stop the man after his bold claims & the odds on him going the distance being what they were I am suspicious of his actions.

C'mon guys take those fucking blinkers off & smell the coffee. This man is as counterfit as a $3.00 bill.

Well considering Roy's last KO was what in 02 why are people up in arms ?Tito might also be able to take a punch better at 170 than he did at the lower weights ..And how many fighters make such bold claims and never come through ??
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(imperial @ Jan 28 2008, 09:39 PM) [snapback]376791[/snapback]
Well considering Roy's last KO was what in 02 why are people up in arms ?Tito might also be able to take a punch better at 170 than he did at the lower weights ..And how many fighters make such bold claims and never come through ??

I am a huge Roy Jones fan, and I was a little disappointed in his performance overall. I thought he looked ok in there, but his inability to let his punches go like he used to is frustrating. He could have easily stopped Trinidad a couple of times, but he chose to coast and settle for an easy decision against a blown up welterweight who was coming off a loooong layoff. Roy obviously deep down has some confidence issues in the ring, and by doing what he did is not going to help him in future fights. I think if he would have blown Trinidad out of there early, like he said he was gonna do, mentally that might of restored some inner confidence in him. We will just have to wait for him to be in the ring with stiffer competition to see what he actually has left.
STEVENSKI
Exactly lightsout. Roy did not do what he was supposed to do. Considering he is obviously finding it hard to get the big paydays now (ie ducking all the legit 175lb fighters & calling out much smaller men) I would not be suprised if he did bet on himself to win a UD.
rusty_trombone
I think it's safe to say that Aussies have a ton of hate for Roy Jones. Geez, did he kill a wallaby once or something?
STEVENSKI
We just have the tall poppy syndrome. It is even worse when it is a Aussie. Then we really chop them down laugh.gif .

I think what really makes me hate him is teh fact that every one of his fights has been a PPV in OZ.
Method
Well that motherfucker Jones is delusional. Talking about HE is the draw at SuperMiddle-Lt Hvy. Does he not remember that he fought on PPV in a corn field or in Memphis and he couldn't draw breath? The fight did something like 30K buys. That tells you right there that Trinidad, and the synergy of Trinidad fighting Roy, sld the fight. Roy against Badi again winds up in Hershey Park.

This guy is fucking nuts.
Jack 1000
I think that boxing has been very successful this past year, but better marketing could make it even more successful. Too many boxers today are overpricing their market value, and PPV prices are a financial burden in these trying economic times. There is something very wrong when Trinidad-Jones draws in these kinds of numbers, BUT Corrales-Castillo I, perhaps the greatest action fight in the sports history was only scene by the die-hard boxing purists who had Showtime. This is why their rematch bombed on PPV. Could you imagine the intensity if Corrales-Castillo I, Morales-Barrera I, the Marquez-Vasquez wars, and Pavlik-Taylor I had been shown on free prime time TV?! If you really want to save the sport, that is what needs to happen! Boxing nowadays is only marketed to the rich and powerful, not the casual fan.

What I am trying to figure out is why has MMA taken off the way it has? Undercard events still show full arenas where in boxing, the general public seems not to care before the main event. Generally, there are much better MMA undercards than boxing undercards, but once MMA fighters see the millions that boxers are making, how long will that last? Why the MMA drama when it has been shown that a MMA fight can end in a matter of minutes, perhaps even seconds, like conventional boxing with a quick KO?

The flaw could be that the heavyweight division, the once most prestigious title in boxing is now controlled by a bunch of eastern Europeans whom nobody cares about and some can't even pronounce. Boxing needs THE GUY who can transcend the public into generating excitement. BUT, THAT GUY can't fight on PPV. He has to fight on commercial TV with a series type build-up to draw interest and excitement to limited knowledge fight fans. Since today's heavyweights are shit, why not turn attention to the smaller guys who are known for great fights? You know, the brawlers? The little guys who fight for pride first before money? Why boxing isn't as big as it once was, is because the guys who generate excitement such as, Pacquiao, Vasquez, R Marquez and Pavlik are now fighting on pay TV and PPV instead of prime time or even free commercial TV. By building up these fighters and fighters on commercial TV, who wouldn't be interested in watching their wars? The general public would never be bored, wouldn't be cheated, and boxing would thrive again! I'd like to see a build-up for one of these fighters against a great opponent on TV, just to see how it would do!

Jack
jp
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Jan 29 2008, 02:18 PM) [snapback]376858[/snapback]
What I am trying to figure out is why has MMA taken off the way it has? Undercard events still show full arenas where in boxing, the general public seems not to care before the main event. Generally, there are much better MMA undercards than boxing undercards, but once MMA fighters see the millions that boxers are making, how long will that last? Why the MMA drama when it has been shown that a MMA fight can end in a matter of minutes, perhaps even seconds, like conventional boxing with a quick KO?

Jack

MMA has taken off the way it has because of the how the sport is marketed, particularly how the UFC has marketed MMA(casual fans still refer to MMA as "Ultimate Fighting"). When a boxing PPV is being sold, the only thing the public hears about is the main event, no time is put into marketing the undercard or showcasing the up and coming fighters of tomorrow. Think back to any TV spot or radio ad you've heard for a boxing PPV, the only fighters that are mentioned are the headliners. Now if you look at any ad for a UFC PPV there are 3,4, and sometimes 5 different fights being mentioned in one spot versus only one fight for boxing. The UFC is sold as a package deal and fans are expecting to see 4-5 decent fights, that’s why the arena's packed from start to finish.

The UFC's business model is set up to promote their brand more so than the individual fighter. So it makes sense for them to build up guys from their reality show as well as other prospects because they need to constantly develop new stars so when the Chuck Liddell’s, Randy Couture’s, and Tito Ortiz's of the world move on they have fresh faces to replace them. Since the UFC dominates the MMA landscape in the US it makes sense for them to keep a “semi-monopoly” over the sport (obviously not in the best interest of the fan). I don't think that boxing can or will be promoted like that for a loooooong time to come. There is too many interests involved and too many people trying to get paid.

PaulieMFan
Most thought and agree Jones should have knocked Trinidad out,but none of us were in the ring in front of him(Trinidad)

Jones clowned like Trinidad's punches had no effect on him,but i think they had enough effect to make Jones think twice about getting to aggressive

No one has ever won against Trinidad by trying to knock him out,Jones did the right thing.Just think about those 35 KO victims who tried to impress by knocking Trinidad out
BrutalBodyShots
That's not really accurate. Hopkins once he lit Tito up at the end of the 10th and had him out on his feet knew he could get a knockout and he tried to get it (and got it). Jones had Trinidad in similar shape following the first knockdown but he did not try to get the knockout when the opportunity was there.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.