Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UFC to ban Affliction Gear (shirts, hats, jackets, etc)
FightHype Community > MMA HYPE > UFC
TheWhiteBuffalo
So basically the UFC wants to hurt Randy Couture, and this is the first step. Can Dana White really stop someone from having Affliction as a sponsor on their shirts or shorts IF it is not specified in their current contract? Not that I own anything from Affliction.....$40-$55 for a t-shirt is just INSANE. But I do think UFC is getting out of hand here.

http://www.mmafightline.com/news/2008/125/ufc_314536.shtml
Douchebag
QUOTE(TheWhiteBuffalo @ Jan 26 2008, 09:06 AM) [snapback]376482[/snapback]
So basically the UFC wants to hurt Randy Couture, and this is the first step. Can Dana White really stop someone from having Affliction as a sponsor on their shirts or shorts IF it is not specified in their current contract? Not that I own anything from Affliction.....$40-$55 for a t-shirt is just INSANE. But I do think UFC is getting out of hand here.

Fjuck the UFC.
Southeastpaw
I love the fights that are put together in the UFC for the most part, but Dana is a real douche!!!!
ElectricTwinkie
QUOTE(TheWhiteBuffalo @ Jan 26 2008, 09:06 AM) [snapback]376482[/snapback]

YES!!! Affliction gear is the brand of choice for UFC/MMA wanabes everywhere, it's about time someone makes a statement!!

Now if they only ban Tap-Out, life will be good. The owner of Tap-Out running around life a feret on crack with his face camo and hat... who does he think he is? And all the 18yr old punks with 2 weeks of brazlian jujitsu backed up by 5yrs of watching tv wearing Tap-Out shorts and an Affliction shirt... 150dollars worth of poser gear.

It would be like if we started broadcasting me making Twinkies on a reality show. Next thing you know snack cake lovers would be buying Hostess shirts and General Mills shorts. Pathetic.
Douchebag
QUOTE(ElectricTwinkie @ Jan 26 2008, 01:31 PM) [snapback]376503[/snapback]
YES!!! Affliction gear is the brand of choice for UFC/MMA wanabes everywhere, it's about time someone makes a statement!!

Now if they only ban Tap-Out, life will be good. The owner of Tap-Out running around life a feret on crack with his face camo and hat... who does he think he is? And all the 18yr old punks with 2 weeks of brazlian jujitsu backed up by 5yrs of watching tv wearing Tap-Out shorts and an Affliction shirt... 150dollars worth of poser gear.
It would be like if we started broadcasting me making Twinkies on a reality show. Next thing you know snack cake lovers would be buying Hostess shirts and General Mills shorts. Pathetic.

Regardless fighter should be able to where what ever they want and should be allowed to make as much money as possible through sponsorships and advertising. Mark my words, This will hurt the UFC in the long run.
Warlord
Dana White is a cunt. I support UFC fighters, but Dana and the org itself is a steaming pile of shit.
Lala-Nomics
QUOTE(ElectricTwinkie @ Jan 26 2008, 10:31 AM) [snapback]376503[/snapback]

Lala-Nomics
QUOTE(ElectricTwinkie @ Jan 26 2008, 10:31 AM) [snapback]376503[/snapback]

Now, don't get me wrong...I literally grew up with the sweet science enoveloping my whole life, but realistically- If boxers got the kinds of sponsorships that MMA fighters do perhaps a ton of the issues that take boxing off track would be non-existant (health care and pension issues, financial education, etc) These MMA fighters have it all right in regards to getting these companies to throw some cash thier way and allow the fighters to do what they do best; train and fight. Unlike the majority of boxers who are forced to have to concentrate on working some menial job to suplement thier income.
Let them boys make thier money.
In regards to TapOut, don't be mad that thier (and I do mean thier, because there is more than one owner, not just the feret on crack that you speak of) marketing genius has propelled them to be the face of fightwear today. Haters are as pathetic as your Twinkies reality show.
ElectricTwinkie
Although I appreciate your sentiment about starving boxers struggling to fight and make money, MMA fighters are no different. The fact that you think a UFC fighter makes bundles off of a gear company's sponsorship shows you don't follow the sport too closely. The fact is Dana White is a tightfisted ex-boxing manager who only pays a handful of fighters a decent salary-the rest work for a living or were born into money.

The fact that a lesser known fighter has a Tap-Out or Affliction sponsorship means only one things: free gear.

I knew a guy sponsored by UTZ potato chips. Know how much he makes off of them? 500 bucks. That won't even cover the costs for an unsanction, untelevised event.
Lala-Nomics
QUOTE(ElectricTwinkie @ Jan 27 2008, 05:25 PM) [snapback]376666[/snapback]
Although I appreciate your sentiment about starving boxers struggling to fight and make money, MMA fighters are no different. The fact that you think a UFC fighter makes bundles off of a gear company's sponsorship shows you don't follow the sport too closely. The fact is Dana White is a tightfisted ex-boxing manager who only pays a handful of fighters a decent salary-the rest work for a living or were born into money.

The fact that a lesser known fighter has a Tap-Out or Affliction sponsorship means only one things: free gear.

I knew a guy sponsored by UTZ potato chips. Know how much he makes off of them? 500 bucks. That won't even cover the costs for an unsanction, untelevised event.

You are correct indeed that a great deal of MMA fighters are in the same position as boxers but I was under the impression that this discussion was about the UFC imparticular; in that regard you are incorrect. I happen to know that the majority of marquee fighters in the UFC are compensated quite nicely for services rendered. A solid company is handing out $5K for a butt placement of thier company. If one has 8-10 sponsors, I believe they'll be okay with thier living condiditions, not to mention the checks that they recieve post fight. If they are at that level (fighting regularly) and are not getting comenstated as such, they need new management....
Furthermore, I do follow the sport and the whole industry quite closely. Close enough in fact to mention that the fighters who will suffer from the banning of Affliction (the original discussion anyhow) will indeed suffer a bit from the loss of capital. (GSP, Rampage, etc...These guys are in a nice financial situation, yes?)
Having been in and around this industry my whole life, I totally agree on the Dana thing....He's kinda like the kid on the playground that won't share his new basketball with anyone....
ashle
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jan 26 2008, 11:17 AM) [snapback]376488[/snapback]
Fjuck the UFC.

hello my name is ashley

TheWhiteBuffalo
QUOTE(ashle @ Jan 28 2008, 06:51 AM) [snapback]376697[/snapback]
hello my name is ashley

Hello Ashley.....welcome to FightHype!
ElectricTwinkie
QUOTE(Lala-Nomics @ Jan 28 2008, 12:37 AM) [snapback]376692[/snapback]
You are correct indeed that a great deal of MMA fighters are in the same position as boxers but I was under the impression that this discussion was about the UFC imparticular; in that regard you are incorrect. I happen to know that the majority of marquee fighters in the UFC are compensated quite nicely for services rendered. A solid company is handing out $5K for a butt placement of thier company. If one has 8-10 sponsors, I believe they'll be okay with thier living condiditions, not to mention the checks that they recieve post fight. If they are at that level (fighting regularly) and are not getting comenstated as such, they need new management....

So then lets make an issue of mathmatics, and also stick to sponsorship not salary:

"a majority of marquee fighters recieve good compensation through sponsorship"

About how many UFC fighters would you say that is? For brevity lets forget the recent crop of guys over from Pride as UFC bought Pride (and Pride paid very well, negating the need to seek multiple sponsors)
10 guys? maybe 20 guys?

...the roster of the UFC is what, ten times that?

So statistically speaking, unless you follow the sport very closely, odds are you can be a UFC fighter no one has heard of.
..and I know Tap-Out isn't forking over 5k to almost every guy who signs...

hello my name is ashley

ashley, pay no attention to Buffalo...and keep your hands away from his mouth. He may look cute and cuddley but that bison has been ridden around the pasture more times than Ben Franklin at a Nickelodeon convention.
ashle
hello my name is ashley

who are u?
ElectricTwinkie
QUOTE(ashle @ Jan 28 2008, 09:30 AM) [snapback]376705[/snapback]
who are u?

ooh, ooh, can I play this game too?!?
TheWhiteBuffalo
QUOTE(ashle @ Jan 28 2008, 09:30 AM) [snapback]376705[/snapback]
who are u?

I am the "White Buffalo". Some call me The King of Swing, The Show Stopper, The Man with the Plan, The Icon, The Sultan of Steel, The Main Event, The Elite One, TBOP- The Bringer of Pain, The Truth, Justice, The Warrior, or just plain "White Buffalo.

I am the Chill that is in the air. I am the Sheriff of Fight Hype. The leader of the Rebellion. The Prophet of Boxing. The Lone Wolf of Anarchy. The Source for the Masses. For more information on the man behind the screen, just log onto http://www.FrancoisBothaWillSaveTheWorld.o...inTheRevolution
Lala-Nomics
QUOTE(ElectricTwinkie @ Jan 28 2008, 06:06 AM) [snapback]376703[/snapback]
So then lets make an issue of mathmatics, and also stick to sponsorship not salary:

"a majority of marquee fighters recieve good compensation through sponsorship"

About how many UFC fighters would you say that is? For brevity lets forget the recent crop of guys over from Pride as UFC bought Pride (and Pride paid very well, negating the need to seek multiple sponsors)
10 guys? maybe 20 guys?

...the roster of the UFC is what, ten times that?

So statistically speaking, unless you follow the sport very closely, odds are you can be a UFC fighter no one has heard of.
..and I know Tap-Out isn't forking over 5k to almost every guy who signs...
ashley, pay no attention to Buffalo...and keep your hands away from his mouth. He may look cute and cuddley but that bison has been ridden around the pasture more times than Ben Franklin at a Nickelodeon convention.

I believe the issue was in regards to Affliction being banned from the UFC;your original comment was rather extactic upon hearing that....
My rebuttal comment to you was to let them boys get thier money. The guys who are indeed rockin Affliction are doing okay by normal financial standards. Which discussion are we having Twink? Trust me, I'm all for equal compensation based on attendance draw, exposure, seniority, etc....
And considering I am quite good friends with one one the owners of TapOut, your completely right in your assessment that they are not forking over $5K to every guy who signs, thier pay rate is dependent on various factors, none of which matter unless they are able to get the exposure that the UFC warrants (which brings us back to the original topic of Affliction being banned from UFC).
All i'm saying is that the life of a fighter is tough as is, when one "big bad wolf that is the UFC" takes away someone's opportunity to capitalize on the exposure that thier work allows them to have...It's a pretty shitty situation....
By the way, I notice that your in Pa.... Are you a fighter? I know a guy who just started a fightwear line and is looking for local talent to sponsor....(I'm not being condesending, I'm being totally serious.) =)
ElectricTwinkie
You have a PM! aikido.gif
thehype
The UFC is like the Borg....

Resistance is futile!
jlupi
didnt lindland lose his ufc contract for wearing a non apruved sponsors tshirt
ElectricTwinkie
QUOTE(jlupi @ Jan 29 2008, 06:25 PM) [snapback]376880[/snapback]
didnt lindland lose his ufc contract for wearing a non apruved sponsors tshirt

Indeed that is the rumor. He and Dana don't play well together either, which can only hurt your UFC career. So the precedent has been set-and this was back in 05!!

jlupi, thanks for reminding me. thumbsup_anim.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.