Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Povetkin vs. Chambers: Post Fight Discussion
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Hi All,

Sorry about the pinned thread delay. I did not know that this fight was tape delayed. A user has indicated a SPOILER thread further down the page so if you want to know what happened, you can click on that thread. I will close the spoiler thread for the consideration of doing this fight as if it were live. Ben is doing a round by round for this fight, so out of respect for him setting that up for us, let's treat it as a live call. PLEASE DON'T GIVE OUT THE SPOILER IN THIS THREAD!! (OR ELSE!) That's not fair to the others who want to follow along with the rest of us who are watching for the first time. Keep everything here. Violators WILL BE REPRIMANDED! If you want to look at the spoiler thread that's cool, but please keep the results to yourself if you already know them until the fight has ended on HBO as indicated by this thread. We need to make it fair for everyone.

Follow the coverage here:

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/roundbyroun...a6db09b1c2adb57

Jack

Administrator
Jack 1000
Povetkin looks like a big Hatton who holds less! hahaha!

Jack
thefloatingmonkey
I think Chambers forgot he was in a boxing match!
BrutalBodyShots
God that was an irritating fight to watch. I was not familiar with either guy so I had no expectations going into the fight. After 4 rounds I found myself rooting for Chambers. He clearly had the better fundamentals... solid defense, a good jab and right hand behind it, fast hands, etc. He was the underdog in the fight and I found myself wanting him to win the fight. Anyway all of that went out the window from the 5th - 12th as Chambers did NOTHING. He THREW less than 20 punches in many of those rounds.

When I heard that McGirt was in Chambers' corner I should have known...

Seriously though. How do you land over 60% of your power shots on your opponent when he's landing maybe 25-30% and you not only lose the fight, but lose it 117-111 or so? Unreal. I think Chambers simply lacks heart, and Povetkin's heart is what won him this fight. The dude was dead tired by mid fight but was still going out there throwing 70-90 punches per round. Awesome for a heavyweight.

Povetkin reminds me slightly of a past prime Jirov. Both the way he looks and the way he fights (come forward, throw lots of punches, etc).

Southeastpaw
Since I started watching him, I really have not been impressed with Chambers. This was the 2nd time I have seen Povetkin and the 3rd time Chambers. Chambers kinda reminds me of a HW version of Winky Wright. He has that turtle defense and very little power. He has fast hands, but that is it really. He is irritating for me to watch cause he just lugs around the ring with his hands up most of the time. Povetkin looked the slower fighter but he is what I like to see in a fighter. He actually WANTS to hurt his opponent. He has heart and his determination got him the win. He obviously was the one who wanted it more. I am glad he won because I really don't think that Chambers would do anything to help the state of the HW division. Good win.
The Original MrFactor
I thought it was a good fight. I enjoyed watching two evenly matched guys on the cusp of their prime. I dont think eithe guy beats Wlad. I think both of these guys take too much leather to the head for my tastye. I think Wlad beats either guy by KO withing 4 or 5 rounds...
Jack 1000
After 9 rounds I had it 4-4-1, with Chambers doing very well early. However, Povetkin came on well and WTF happend from about 10-12 where Chambers didn't do shit? This allowed Povetkin to take a very convincing 7-4-1 (I scored the 9th even btw) victory at 116-113 on my card.

This was acceptable for an ESPN 2 main event, but putrid for HBO, only serving as filler to show the Jones-Trinidad retread match from last week, If either of these guys are the future of the heavyweight division, I will stick to my lighter weight hopefuls and guys like Marquez and Vasquez, and Manny Pacquiao. These heavyweight matches are fucked up fights serving little more as sparring sessions. Wlad appears to be the best guy with a bad chin, but at this level of contendership, does anyone give a shit about this division?

I miss Lou Dibella at HBO and the REAL Boxing After Dark, which used to provide some of the greatest matches in boxing. No way Lou would have bought this fight. Showtime with their potential classic Marquez-Vasquez III (on regular Showtime and NOT PPV!) is kicking HBO's sorry boxing ass!!!!

Jack

BGv2.0
Well....I gotta say, this was a much more interesting fight than I thought it would be.

Povetkin really impressed me tonight....not because of his skill...not his lack luster defense....BUT his pure desire to win!

That is something I have not seen in quite some time in the HW division! And while I don't at all see him beating Wlad, I'm fairly certain he will at the very least make the most of his shot and go down fighting!

With only 15 pro fights....I just think the pressure will be far too much. It would be enough to only have to get past Wlad's sheer size.....but to be fighting for the HW title with only 15 pro fights.....CHOKE! lol And who would blame him!?

He needs to really work on Stamina! He looked like a gold fish out of it's bowl after the 3rd round!

As for Chambers! They need to rename him Fast Eddie Guinn!!!!! Because his total lack of drive to win, even when losing is on that level!
He had moments of this in his previous wins.....I thought it was just because he was winning....I never thought he would stay that way when in a MUST fight to win situation!

I really wonder if the guy really wants to box even.....if you listen to his father right after the fight....he says something along the lines of "you know what we do....forget all that other stuff...basketball, swimming"

Eddie kind of walked away from him as if he had heard this a thousand times....

For once I found myself in total agreement with Max Kellerman, I think Chambers would be much more effective at CW...where his power might actually work for him....I just think he's too small to actually hurt HWs....he hit Povetkin with some HUGE right hands that were right in the button and they did not even waiver the small HW.
kidbazooka1
Chambers had all the tools to win that fight but just wasn't hungry enough, props to Povetkin.
BrutalBodyShots
Chambers actually momentarily wobbled Povetkin with 30 seconds to go in the 12th. Of course he didn't follow up on it since he was only throwing 15-16 punches in the final 2 rounds. Unbelievable.

dave_h
The White Lion is crap, who can argue with that? Seriously does anyone see him getting anywhere? Wlad will pull a "I must break you" on him easily.
BrutalBodyShots
Wlad will own Povetkin without question. The guy only has 15 fights... that's crazy. 15 fights ago Wlad was housing guys like Botha, Barrett, Byrd etc. My point is WAYYYY too much experience for Wlad when it comes to this fight.
D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 27 2008, 06:30 PM) [snapback]376658[/snapback]
Wlad will own Povetkin without question. The guy only has 15 fights... that's crazy. 15 fights ago Wlad was housing guys like Botha, Barrett, Byrd etc. My point is WAYYYY too much experience for Wlad when it comes to this fight.

I look for Wlad to Stop him between rounds 5-7. I like Povetkin but he's not ready for Wlad. He would be more competative with Chageav, Maskaev and Ibragimov
rusty_trombone
Here's my reaction form the fight:

If Chambers would have continued throwning punches, maybe he would have been competitive, but he refused to throw any punches. It was frustrating watching the second half of that fight, cause only one guy was fighting, and he was fighting poorly, just throwing a bunch of garbage out there and hoping it would land. Geez, Chris Byrd must be VERY far gone.

Wlad would beat the every living crap out of Povetkin or Chambers for that matter.

Also, did anyone else see the gay white lion stuffed animal in his corner?
Southeastpaw
I actually like Povetkin. He needs to work on his stamina but he even fights well while he is tired. He is doing something right in order to shut Chambers down. I would expect Wlad to win, but I agree with Max K. in that Pov would be very live in there. Povetkin WILL be a champion in the HW division, I feel pretty sure of it from what I have seen. There are a few interesting guys in there now. You have Ruslan, Sultan, Povetkin, and Wlad as some pretty interesting and skilled fighters.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Jan 28 2008, 05:41 PM) [snapback]376735[/snapback]
I actually like Povetkin. He needs to work on his stamina but he even fights well while he is tired. He is doing something right in order to shut Chambers down. I would expect Wlad to win, but I agree with Max K. in that Pov would be very live in there. Povetkin WILL be a champion in the HW division, I feel pretty sure of it from what I have seen. There are a few interesting guys in there now. You have Ruslan, Sultan, Povetkin, and Wlad as some pretty interesting and skilled fighters.

I don't know man, a heavy weight who throws 80 punches a round, not particularly well or hard and is there to be hit all day. And he looks a bit chubby, that is just a recipe for destruction against Wlad
BrutalBodyShots
I honestly think Wlad would ice Povetkin in about 3 rounds. He is easy to hit and Wlad is MUCH bigger than Povetkin. Chambers and Byrd are little guys and not anywhere in the realm of Wlad. If Povetkin were to put another 10 fights under his belt against Chambers or better level opposition for the next 3 years I'd give him a better chance against Wlad, but not now.

BigG
Povketin would be impaled by Klitschko. It would be great. I cant wait.
Tom_Tocca
Remember that Povetkin had a bad cold in training camp, he had to take antibiotics 10 days before the fight and SE was going to cancel the whole show. Believe me, he can and will do better than this, especially with his stamina...
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Tom_Tocca @ Jan 28 2008, 06:59 PM) [snapback]376747[/snapback]
Believe me, he can and will do better than this, especially with his stamina...

I don't believe you.
BrutalBodyShots
Better how? He was throwing 70-90 punches per round. Do you expect him to throw 100-120 punches per round as a heavyweight?

Tom_Tocca
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 31 2008, 03:21 PM) [snapback]377042[/snapback]
Better how? He was throwing 70-90 punches per round. Do you expect him to throw 100-120 punches per round as a heavyweight?

No, but he can do better with his accuracy and variability...
dj necrogenic
With Chambers' handspeed, and defense he should be with Floyd Mayweather Sr. or Roger Mayweather... Buddy McGirt isnt the right trainer for him
Jack 1000
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Jan 31 2008, 01:22 PM) [snapback]377064[/snapback]
With Chambers' handspeed, and defense he should be with Floyd Mayweather Sr. or Roger Mayweather... Buddy McGirt isnt the right trainer for him

Given his losing record in so many fights, Buddy McGirt isn't the trainer for any fighter.

Jack
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Jan 31 2008, 02:33 PM) [snapback]377084[/snapback]
Given his losing record in so many fights, Buddy McGirt isn't the trainer for any fighter.

Jack

I agree with you... Im not much of a fan of McGirt, his biggest credit is an upset KO with Tarver, and turning Gatti into a boxer who could survive against mid level fighters, but get absolutely demolished by higher level fighters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.