Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roger Craig Not Hall of Fame Worthy ??
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
imperial
I was listening to ESPN radio today and the topic of this particular segmment was regarding the Football Hall of Fame and who should be there and who should not .Long story short they got to Roger Craig .I never knew that he was the 1st running back to ever run for a 1000 yds and catch for a 1000 yds but is not in the HOF .Now if that doesn't make you a candidate what does ?Imo he revolutionized the RB poistion !

Discuss !!!
JD
The high stepper is a tough call.

He really only had two great seasons, one being the 1,000 rushing and 1,000 receiving season...the other the 1,500 yard season in 88 I believe. Other than those two seasons, I think he only had one other 1,000 yard season.

Craig is borderline, because two great seasons is not really hall of fame caliber...though he did contribute to a few Super Bowl victories.

I dunno to be honest. I mean, I wouldn't be disappointed if he made it at all, but I also don't think he is guy who is a clear choice.
imperial
I think the fact that he was the first RB to rush for 1000 yds in a single season should make him a candidate.
JD
Well...he is a candidate, he just hasn't been inducted.

I just find it hard to enshrine a guy based upon one or two seasons.
imperial
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 27 2008, 09:26 PM) [snapback]376675[/snapback]
Well...he is a candidate, he just hasn't been inducted.

I just find it hard to enshrine a guy based upon one or two seasons.

I think the fact the revolutinized the position is more of a reason for consideration ..At least imo ..I don't have all the numbers but I'd like to compare other backs who have had similar careers .There were a few names that they brought up that did not compare at diffrent positions that were inducted so my question is how could they over look somone who has made such an impact at 1 position ??
JD
QUOTE(imperial @ Jan 27 2008, 10:07 PM) [snapback]376681[/snapback]
I think the fact the revolutinized the position is more of a reason for consideration ..At least imo ..I don't have all the numbers but I'd like to compare other backs who have had similar careers .There were a few names that they brought up that did not compare at diffrent positions that were inducted so my question is how could they over look somone who has made such an impact at 1 position ??

Revolutionized the position? Not sure I agree there...there were plenty of pass catching running backs before him, he just happened to be the first to have 1,000 yards receiving. Bill Walsh revolutionized offense, that is really what you saw. Interestingly enough, the year Craig had 1,000 yards receiving, so did Lionel James on the Chargers.

The thing that sticks out for me with Craig is the fact that he has rings, but on a pure statistical level - he is not an easy sell. 3 seasons of 1,000 yards rushing or better in the era of the 16 game season is nothing special at all.
imperial
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 28 2008, 08:00 AM) [snapback]376700[/snapback]
Revolutionized the position? Not sure I agree there...there were plenty of pass catching running backs before him, he just happened to be the first to have 1,000 yards receiving. Bill Walsh revolutionized offense, that is really what you saw. Interestingly enough, the year Craig had 1,000 yards receiving, so did Lionel James on the Chargers.

The thing that sticks out for me with Craig is the fact that he has rings, but on a pure statistical level - he is not an easy sell. 3 seasons of 1,000 yards rushing or better in the era of the 16 game season is nothing special at all.

yeah but to be one of the first backs to so shoud be enough to get you in no ?Kind of like a pioneer in that respect ..
BigJuicyHog
I am a big time niners fan and I have a couple of observations. I dont think someone like Ricky Watters, who had a much better statistical career will get in and I doubt that Roger will. He was a very veratie weapon in his day, but he was a product of the west coast offense. If Art Monk doesnt get in, I dont think that Craig will either.
JD
QUOTE(imperial @ Jan 28 2008, 02:23 PM) [snapback]376721[/snapback]
yeah but to be one of the first backs to so shoud be enough to get you in no ?Kind of like a pioneer in that respect ..

Back to my original point - you are talking about one season. His career had all of two great seasons.

Is Joe Morris hall of fame worthy?

Like I said, the pioneer here was Bill Walsh with the west coast offense. Craig just fit the system...certainly a hell of a player, but I am not really certain he is a lock for the hall at all.
imperial
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 28 2008, 02:27 PM) [snapback]376723[/snapback]
Back to my original point - you are talking about one season. His career had all of two great seasons.

Is Joe Morris hall of fame worthy?

Like I said, the pioneer here was Bill Walsh with the west coast offense. Craig just fit the system...certainly a hell of a player, but I am not really certain he is a lock for the hall at all.

Funny you say that because the host of the show alos put Roger's success more so on Walsh as well..
JD
QUOTE(imperial @ Jan 28 2008, 09:34 PM) [snapback]376789[/snapback]
Funny you say that because the host of the show alos put Roger's success more so on Walsh as well..

I said it a few posts ago...LOL.

The West Coast offense is PERFECT for a back who has hands. Walsh is the pioneer here, not Roger Craig. The Bill Walsh coaching tree is gigantic...you would be shocked who his disciples are.

imperial
Too bad though Craig was a beast ! I'm sure if he had played a few yrs more he might have been inducted ..
JD
QUOTE(imperial @ Jan 29 2008, 09:27 PM) [snapback]376895[/snapback]
Too bad though Craig was a beast ! I'm sure if he had played a few yrs more he might have been inducted ..

Nah...longevity wasn't the issue, he just needed another couple big seasons.
imperial
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 29 2008, 09:32 PM) [snapback]376898[/snapback]
Nah...longevity wasn't the issue, he just needed another couple big seasons.

Tough to be a consitant rb when you got Joe Montana at the helm ..What u think about the SB this weekend how do u feel it will play out ??
JD
QUOTE(imperial @ Jan 29 2008, 10:16 PM) [snapback]376900[/snapback]
Tough to be a consitant rb when you got Joe Montana at the helm ..What u think about the SB this weekend how do u feel it will play out ??

You think so? Man, I think Montana at the helm would be a good thing.

As for the Super Bowl...I think everything has lined up for people to be VERY disappointed. Experts jumping ship...G-men yapping and calling a win...everyone thinking the Pats are vulnerable. Pats haven't covered since December 9th and have looked beatable...Giants played them tough at the end of the season...

Well, the Pats were missing the right side of their line and there were 40 MPH wind gusts. The Giants were healthy in the secondary and were as up for the game as you could be. The game will be in Arizona, in good weather, on a fast track. The G-men are dinged up in the secondary, and no matter what, there will be matchup issues when the Pats come out 4 wide - which will be early and often. It will take a superhuman game from Osi and Strahan for the Giants to be in it, in my opinion. I think the Pats strike early and take a big lead into the half. Eli will be forced to take chances in the second half, which will play into New England's hands.

Patriots 41
Giants 13

Thats the call here. I think this is gonna be a blowout...all the signs point toward it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.