Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto taking over the Welterweight Division
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
RealPuya
Cotto have good chances to take over the division this year...the winner of Margarito vs Cintron in June, Williams in December...if he wins that make him champion on 3 of the 4 organizations. The big question will be….do Floyd will give him the chances to get the fourth belt and the most important belt The Ring…
JD
LOL...I think you are making some SERIOUS assumptions here.

I am not ready to grant Cotto a W over Margarito, let alone Margarito AND Williams this calender year.

If he does it, than he will have had one hell of a year, and be a virtual shoe-in for fighter of the year.
BrutalBodyShots
I think an argument can be made for just about every one of the top guys (all those mentioned in this thread) to beat any of the others, so to say that one in particular is going to "take over" the division is pushing it.

PR316
I think Cotto beats Margarito and loses to Williams. He loses to Mayweather too IMO but he'll give him a fight.\
BigG
I dont know if Magrairto is wrong for Cotto....I think both would make for an explosive fight. Cotto and Margarito can hurt each other. But Cotto has the obvious advantage in skill and I give him the edge in speed.

Williams is wrong for Cotto.
RealPuya
QUOTE(JD @ Jan 27 2008, 10:43 PM) [snapback]376677[/snapback]
LOL...I think you are making some SERIOUS assumptions here.

I am not ready to grant Cotto a W over Margarito, let alone Margarito AND Williams this calender year.

If he does it, than he will have had one hell of a year, and be a virtual shoe-in for fighter of the year.

I’m not saying he can win all these fights...just saying that if he does…he will have the opportunity knocking on his door to fight Floyd…Do Floyd will give this opportunity after the accomplishment?

Shit he can even lose to Gomez in a bad night…

But yes you are right...he will be the fighter of the year if he wins...but also it can be Cintron, Margarito, Gomez or Williams...The winner of all these matchups should finish fighting Floyd.
salvador
Arum ain't stupid enough to put his 5'7" moneymaker with a 65" reach in with Williams who's 6'3" and has an 82" reach and throws 100+ punches a round. Cotto would have an even harder time getting inside on Williams than Margarito did. And if Margarito couldn't hurt him, it's hard to believe that Cotto would.

This fight never happens. Cotto ain't the baddest thing at 147 and neither is Floyd.

My guess is that Williams is going to have to fight Forrest at 154 if he wants a big name on his resume.
D-MARV
Williams is wrong for everyone in the division. He will have a hard time getting the other champs in the ring. His best bet is to move up and fight Forrest, Alcine, or maybe Spinks. As for Miguel, he can beat Tony but it would be a good scrap. I think Cotto beats Cintron as well. But I would have to favor Mayweather over Cotto at this time. But I doubt Floyd will even make this fight. But I see what the thread starter is trying to say. If someone cleans out the division this year than Floyd has to fight that person. The money will be there, no question!
buford54
Sadly, Williams will be avoided like the plague. He will be like a Chris Byrd. Nobody will fight him because even if they are able to beat him, he will make them look bad in the process.
Difference is, Williams has the physical advantages over everyone under HW.
I think most guys at 147 will end up moving to 154 for bigger money before they fight Williams.
I also think that the guys at 154 will call Williams out, but if he actually moves up, they will claim they have bigger money fights on the table and will duck him too.
streetlion1
I believe Cotto is the best in the division.....he beat Mosley...PBF wants no part of him...and in a fight against Margarito I think he would prove how far his skills have come. I see the slower Margarito coming in throwing slower looping punches and getting chopped up. PW offers the biggest challenge for anyone in the division...but is still too raw and doesnt have the defensive skills to win against Cotto. They leave themselves open too much...and thats bad news against the best body puncher in the sport.
salvador
QUOTE(buford54 @ Jan 28 2008, 10:42 AM) [snapback]376706[/snapback]
Sadly, Williams will be avoided like the plague. He will be like a Chris Byrd. Nobody will fight him because even if they are able to beat him, he will make them look bad in the process.

I agree that nobody will fight him, but I couldn't disagree with you more about the idea that Williams will make anyone who beats him look bad in the process.

Anyone who beats Williams will have to eat a hell of a lot of leather to do it and they'll probably have to knock him out, as it's hard to imagine anyone outpointing him. Given that, if someone shows the fortitude to withstand all of Williams shots and still gets the ko, that fighter will be elevated. It would be the kind of win that would take Cotto to the next level and would finally put an end to any and all of the criticism leveled against Floyd.
PR316
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 28 2008, 03:18 PM) [snapback]376707[/snapback]
I believe Cotto is the best in the division.....he beat Mosley...PBF wants no part of him...and in a fight against Margarito I think he would prove how far his skills have come. I see the slower Margarito coming in throwing slower looping punches and getting chopped up. PW offers the biggest challenge for anyone in the division...but is still too raw and doesnt have the defensive skills to win against Cotto. They leave themselves open too much...and thats bad news against the best body puncher in the sport.

I think Cotto's competition at welterweight is better. But I don't think its a case of PBF not wanting any part of MC. I honestly believe that what Mayweather is doing is waiting for Cotto to become so big to the point where everyone is elevating him within the top 5 pound 4 pound status. Then more instigating and talking will ensue and I think that it won't take much more to get the fight signed.

I honestly think we'll see this fight sometime in 2009.
streetlion1
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jan 28 2008, 12:52 PM) [snapback]376717[/snapback]
I think Cotto's competition at welterweight is better. But I don't think its a case of PBF not wanting any part of MC. I honestly believe that what Mayweather is doing is waiting for Cotto to become so big to the point where everyone is elevating him within the top 5 pound 4 pound status. Then more instigating and talking will ensue and I think that it won't take much more to get the fight signed.

I honestly think we'll see this fight sometime in 2009.

Or maybe he is hoping someone else will upset Cotto so he doesnt have to fight him. That sounds more likely to me. Cotto is the best in the division...the TRUE welterweight champ-undefeated-in his prime. There isnt anything to wait for! The fight between them wouldnt get any bigger than it would be now. I think 09 will just bring PBF's early-cowardly retirement or another year where he fights more bogus opponents!
BoxingStill#1
I think everyone needs to take into consideration that Cotto didnt get where he is on accident.......I dont agree with all the hate basically saying he's a paper tiger.....I think he has the tools necessary to beat PW. Although it would be tough night, I think he could pull the win off by perhaps a KO...to the body,.....non official,..just likely

We all know that PW is entirely to okward for any fighter, way to dangerous, and absolutely stupid to fight for any big name.....
Economically speaking......But, if Cotto could pull the win...then PBF would almost have no choice.....and might even make PBF sleep a little better at night........ lazy2.gif

Tony would make a good fight,....not so dangerous but would genorate decent money...Cotto by majority decision.......Official prediction...
PR316
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 29 2008, 12:36 AM) [snapback]376755[/snapback]
Or maybe he is hoping someone else will upset Cotto so he doesnt have to fight him. That sounds more likely to me. Cotto is the best in the division...the TRUE welterweight champ-undefeated-in his prime. There isnt anything to wait for! The fight between them wouldnt get any bigger than it would be now. I think 09 will just bring PBF's early-cowardly retirement or another year where he fights more bogus opponents!

We can't say Floyd has fought "bogus opponents". De La Hoya and Hatton were both perceived as threats.

I honestly don't believe Floyd is afraid. I mean its not like the fight has been officially offered to him and he's turned it down for ridiculous reasons. I mean I can't read the guy's mind or anything, but I think he'd fight Cotto. And its not like Bob Arum is exactly beating the drums for this fight either.

In the end, I think Floyd's ego is just too big to not fight Miguel Cotto, especially if Cotto maintains the high level of success he's been having. One way or another, this fight will take place. It has to.
CyruS
Santos > Margarito
ringside21
Cotto would beat Margarito, Williams, and especially Cintron. Did you see Cintron's last fight against Feliciono. He looked horrible, Cotto would destroy Cintron. He will beat Margarito because Magarito is old and not active enough. Plus, he cries to ref. A LOT and he doesn't have the heart or power he once had. Did you see the punches he hit Williams with? The punches did no damage whatsoever. Williams he will beat, if they fought anytime soon because Williams is still too GREEN for Cotto. Also, Williams has a tendency to lack defense and if Cotto hits Williams with the same punches that Margarito did, that 6'3 frame of his will be stretched out on the canvas. So your predictions could very well come true. A fight with Mayweather will be a great one! If they fght soon, Mayweather wins, if they fight next, maybe mid 2009, Cotto will mop up the ring with Floyd.

responding to to RealPuva
Sugar Q
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 28 2008, 10:18 AM) [snapback]376707[/snapback]

Lol, dude you should get on a plane, fly to Vegas and tell PBF how much you hate him. You don't get to be a 5 DIVISION, UNDEFEATED, WORLD CHAMPION by being afraid of anyone. It's clear that PBF is a business man who would fight Cotto in a second if the paper was right. If anything PBF wants no part of Bob Arum cause I'd rather face Cotto than Delahoya any day if I were PBF. To fight a close fight with Delahoya and then give him a rematch is big of PBF. If Margarito could hit Williams what do you guys think PBF would do? PBF is too smart to go in there and try to slug with Williams. He would systematically pick Williams apart right now. If Williams used his jab and length he would be a monster but throwing all those arm punching will surely be exposed when he steps up in weight and against a craftsmen like Floyd.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Jan 30 2008, 02:50 PM) [snapback]376981[/snapback]
Lol, dude you should get on a plane, fly to Vegas and tell PBF how much you hate him. You don't get to be a 5 DIVISION, UNDEFEATED, WORLD CHAMPION by being afraid of anyone. It's clear that PBF is a business man who would fight Cotto in a second if the paper was right. If anything PBF wants no part of Bob Arum cause I'd rather face Cotto than Delahoya any day if I were PBF. To fight a close fight with Delahoya and then give him a rematch is big of PBF. If Margarito could hit Williams what do you guys think PBF would do? PBF is too smart to go in there and try to slug with Williams. He would systematically pick Williams apart right now. If Williams used his jab and length he would be a monster but throwing all those arm punching will surely be exposed when he steps up in weight and against a craftsmen like Floyd.

Well first I have already said I think PBF beats PW! 2nd im not caught in the past and still thinking about what he did...im thinking about what he is doing now!! Now saying you would fight Cotto instead of DLH is crazy! Cotto is way more dangerous for PBF than DLH is!! He already beat the man once..end of story. Its time for him to fight the divisions best. Period! You cant call yourself the best if you are not gonna fight the best. PBF fans would say "oh he is just tryin to get $$ now" well look at his track record since hitting 147...it looks like not only is he tryin to get $$ but he is being very carefull doing so!! There is no explanation for turning down two 8million$$ fights and saying " I have nothing more to prove" only to turn around and fight safer opponents...thats a coward move! N E Way Cotto is the true 147lb. champ and owns the division until someone beats him IMO!
JD
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 30 2008, 08:45 PM) [snapback]377008[/snapback]
No it's not.

LOL.

Oscar gave Floyd the rematch, not the other way around. Oscar had options, he chose to fight Floyd...Floyd had options but no interest in fighting this year unless he was able to score the Oscar rematch.

Revisionist history before it even has a chance to be history.
rusty_trombone
Here's the breakdown:

Cotto kicks the ever living god out of Margarito cause Tony is garbage.

William v. Cotto is a good fight, cause Williams will cause everyone problems, but I think Cotto still wins. I don't know if Williams is disciplined enough to win that fight yet.

Floyd v. Cotto, good fight, probably Floyd's toughest challenge, I'd like to see it. I would pick Floyd, just cause I think he's on a completely different level than any of these guys right now, but I wouldn't be surprsied to see Cotto give him one hell of a scrap.

Oh, Cotto v. Cintron, Kermit may be crying at the end of that one. Again.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jan 30 2008, 09:55 PM) [snapback]377025[/snapback]
William v. Cotto is a good fight, cause Williams will cause everyone problems, but I think Cotto still wins. I don't know if Williams is disciplined enough to win that fight yet.

Williams has the tools to beat Cotto. All he has to do is box...
salvador
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jan 30 2008, 11:55 PM) [snapback]377025[/snapback]
Here's the breakdown:

Cotto kicks the ever living god out of Margarito cause Tony is garbage.

Floyd v. Cotto, good fight, probably Floyd's toughest challenge, I'd like to see it. I would pick Floyd, just cause I think he's on a completely different level than any of these guys right now, but I wouldn't be surprsied to see Cotto give him one hell of a scrap.

Tony's the only contender at 147 who will ever have the balls to get in the ring with Williams. The garbage at 147 are all the guys who talk like champions who are going to duck Williams - and that would be ALL of the other ww contenders. And if you really think Arum's gonna let Cotto in with Williams, then you must be high.

Williams is going to have to move up to 154 and fight Forrest if he wants a named opponenent.
The Original MrFactor
Cotto aint takin over shit... Williams would make him look like a midget. If he and Margarito link up this summer, Tony is going to KO Cotto and derail the young stars gravy train to superstardom...
streetlion1
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jan 31 2008, 03:51 PM) [snapback]377078[/snapback]
Cotto aint takin over shit... Williams would make him look like a midget. If he and Margarito link up this summer, Tony is going to KO Cotto and derail the young stars gravy train to superstardom...

laugh.gif Yeah Right...thats funny! PW isnt good enough....Margarito...PLEASE...he wouldnt have a snow balls chance in hell of K.Oing Cotto when comparing the two- A.M. lacks in every single category!
Elijah
Let's not forget Cotto already beat Mosley and Judah at 147 too.

I think he would beat AM, he has an advantage in every category that really matters.

Cotto right now would lose to PW and Floyd but you let him beat up everyone else that comes along his way and at some point in time people will be callin for a fight between him and the other two and I think by that time those will be pick'em fights.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jan 31 2008, 12:53 AM) [snapback]377032[/snapback]
Williams has the tools to beat Cotto. All he has to do is box...

Sure he has the tools, but lacks the discipline
Mean Mister Mustard
This division is jam packed, lots of excellent matchups are there to be made. Which is why it's unfortunate that its champion is fighting an inactive cross dressing millionaire who he already beat.

What is really shameful about all this is how PBF says that Williams and Margarito are garbage because according to him they have not beaten anybody. This he says, hinting that he has more important things to take care of. Then he goes on to fight a guy he already beat. Oh but he won't waste his breath on Margarito and Williams.

Maybe what the promoters have planned is to wait for Cotto to fight Margarito, and let his star grow more as well as the anticipiation for a PBF-Cotto match and meanwhile they can make some dough on a lame PBF-DLH rematch. That would be smart but shameful.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 31 2008, 07:53 PM) [snapback]377106[/snapback]
Maybe what the promoters have planned is to wait for Cotto to fight Margarito, and let his star grow more as well as the anticipiation for a PBF-Cotto match and meanwhile they can make some dough on a lame PBF-DLH rematch. That would be smart but shameful.

You are probably right. Folks are waiting for someone else to beat Cotto, so they can say, "See I toldja..." When Margarito and PW are the last men standing, the we should hold Money may accounatble. Have him keep his promise when he told Tony to his face that he'd fight him later when it would be, "Bigger and better..." Somehow I doubt even at that point Money may takes the fight. I dont even want to bring up Williams because he aint touchin him either... Mayweather will retire this year for good. Nob ody to fight after DLH. too hard...
Mean Mister Mustard
Please don't refer to Mayweather as "Money" if you do pretty soon everyone will and goverments will fall, chaos will erupt and the sun will die.
streetlion1
laugh.gif There is no way PW beats Cotto or PBF at this point! If you wanna see a young soon to be star get the drapes closed on his bright future then go ahead...throw him in the ring with those guys! He has shown me nothing but great stamina and a chin. His defense sucks and his boxing skills need work. You are gonna have to do more than just throw-throw-throw to beat these guys. Dont get me wrong..he will give anyone trouble just because of his size...but a win over a slower version of himself (Margarito) isnt enough to make me say he is ready for the best!
dj necrogenic
I think Cotto gives Margarito fits by going to the body, and eventually (if Cotto doesnt get KTFO first) he'll wear down Margarito's body and stop him late

Against Williams, I dont think Cotto gets in enough to get anything going, Paul fights well going backwards and has a workrate that doesnt allow Cotto to get anything meaningful going. With the style Williams showed vs. Margarito, for him to be beaten someone is going to either have KO power or Meldrick Taylor like combination speed
PR316
PW's style is bad news for just about anybody in boxing.

Truthfully, I wanted De La Hoya/Cotto, either this May or in September. Thats the fight that really should be taking place so that Cotto can reach that mainstream level, and build himself up as the true heir to Mayweather's throne. Instead we have both of them fighting meaningless fights that are just designed to mark time.

If both guys are victorious, I'd like to see them fight each other. Floyd Mayweather will probably get the winner of that one.

But I'm not really too excited about De La Hoya and Cotto's next fights.
elperitoboricua
I think that the buildup scheme of having the two belt unification (Cotto's & Cintron's) in a two night three fight process should make for a good way to define Mayweather's next opponent. Economically the advantage is clear as you sell two events that are actually propaganda for the third. It will definitely create a stir regarding who's the better welterweight since no matter how mayweather fares against de la hoya, the fact that the fight is not going to be at 147lbs. will give Floyd an argument to hang on to. In the mean time, Paul Williams fighting Cotto victim Carlos Quintana helps Williams further develop his name in the already fertile Puertorrican crowd.

Before the end of the year we should have a clear view of two top welterweights who should undeniably fight each other for the right to fight Floyd.

Now in my opinion, if Cotto beats Margarito, even by a close decision, and I think he should, that would place him over a Williams who beats Quintana in almost any manner. As for Floyd, against both Cotto and Williams he would have a much tougher fight than against the Golden Boy whom he already beat and knows he can take on again. Cotto would find Williams even more than Margarito and I think (i've never benn punched by any of them) that he also hits a little harder (at least he has a higher knokout ratio). Add to that the fact that Cotto doesn't start as slow as Margario did against Williams and you have a recipe to beat Williams. Against Williams, Floyd stands a much better chance than almost any other fighter seeing that he could probably duck under him an get close enough to neutralize The Punisher's reach without getting caught too often. He could pot shoot all night long and win a very boring decision. Still Williams proved that he can fight inside against the likes o Margarito and Mathysse but they are nothing like Money May or whatever he is calling himself. Also, against a mover like Floyd, Williams volume of punching could go against him if he start to miss a lot since the beginning. Missing punches thrown with power is much more tiring than actually connecting.

I think Cotto has enough tools to take over the welterweight division but it is not an easy road that's ahead of him.

BigG
If Sharmba can catch Williams with this crazy shit

Then Floyd COULD play the hit-move game with lead rights and outpoint him.

Even though Williams is 6'3, it aint impossible to get to him.
Fitz
Haha. Come on biggeorge, you know doing this stuff isn't right. If I could be bothered I'm sure I could take out 5 seconds from a 12 round fight on a Mayweather, Hopkins fight or something and then say the exact same thing.

BigG
I'm just saying, Williams isn't a defensive genius so expect him to be eating lead rights from little Floyd all night...The guy isn't some untouchable unbeatable fighter like people are saying.

People say Floyd will have trouble from the outside because he simply wont reach Williams but I think it P-Will will be more confused trying to actually hit Floyd clean.

Even though he IS freak, a quick fighter can get to him.
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 9 2008, 01:59 AM) [snapback]377814[/snapback]
If Sharmba can catch Williams with this crazy shit

Then Floyd COULD play the hit-move game with lead rights and outpoint him.

Even though Williams is 6'3, it aint impossible to get to him.

Like Paul says, "you gotta get some to give some!"

I think that a much more important takeaway from your clip (other than the fact that Sharmba got ko'd in 4) is that Williams literally towered over his 5'7" frame like Goliath. And if Williams can take the best Margarito has to offer, he can sure as hell take whatever Floyd or Cotto would bring.

And that hit-move game of Floyd's works much better against smaller guys. 82" arms are a totally different thing. Floyd could hit him as many times as he wanted, but Floyd would get hit at least as often in the process and I don't think Floyd has the chin to get hit 20-30 times a round.
BigG
He might be able to take what Floyd has to offer but the thing is can he outbox Floyd? He might have the tools, but with his defense and style, he could be in the recieving and of some lead right hand......

Floyd would get hit as often? You have to either trap Floyd on the ropes or fight him on the inside to hit him 20 times a round....Even though PWill throws a 100, he'll probably land 10 and get countered with right hands he wont see..
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 9 2008, 11:45 AM) [snapback]377830[/snapback]
He might be able to take what Floyd has to offer but the thing is can he outbox Floyd? He might have the tools, but with his defense and style, he could be in the recieving and of some lead right hand......

Floyd would get hit as often? You have to either trap Floyd on the ropes or fight him on the inside to hit him 20 times a round....Even though PWill throws a 100, he'll probably land 10 and get countered with right hands he wont see..

We disagree because I think those arms take care of Floyd's ability to jump in quickly and get out. Williams is like a windmill and he's not looking to land anything clean on Floyd's chin, just on his upper torso. If Floyd gets close enough to land something, Williams is going to throw three punches for every one that Floyd throws.

And at the very least, it'll be closer than the DLH fight and we'll get a chance to see if Floyd is willing to let a close fight go to the scorecards or if he's willing to take the punishment required to make the decision clear.

The sad thing is that we'll never see this fight because Floyd knows that Williams might beat him. The risk/reward just doesn't work for Floyd on this.
RealPuya
Let see…
Margarito KO Cintron
Williams UD Margarito
Quintana SD Williams
COTTO destroyed Quintana…
No more to say…Floyd vs Cotto agree.gif
BrutalBodyShots
Damn I'm surprised that Williams lost. Have not seen the fight yet, going to watch it later tonight.

hardhead
QUOTE(RealPuya @ Feb 10 2008, 04:36 AM) [snapback]377897[/snapback]
Let see…
Margarito KO Cintron
Williams UD Margarito
Quintana SD Williams

Don't hold your breath we'll have to wait until 09 unfortunately...
PR316
QUOTE(RealPuya @ Feb 10 2008, 04:36 AM) [snapback]377897[/snapback]
Let see…
Margarito KO Cintron
Williams UD Margarito
Quintana SD Williams

Pretty much.. Mayweather vs Cotto is the only fight at welterweight that matters. All the pretenders have been weeded out.. When De La Hoya gets embarrassed come September, hopefully that fight will help bring Cotto and Mayweather together to make a real unification fight.
J1GG
cotto is the best and mayweather is scared period quintana just destroyed williams and cotto will destroy margarito but the fight wont happen cause cotto isnt going to fight him hes a loser already period
Fitz
Just like DLH got embarrassed last May rolleyes.gif
Douchebag
Ello Que se' callen la boca.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.