Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I've just about had it with Showtime
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Chi-Town
OK...when is Showtime gonna take their arms from around Antonio Tarver's sack? They just announced that his fight with Clinton Woods will be on April12 and will be a co-feature with Dawson-Johnson and for,yes, thats right, the THIRD time they are trying to sell this thing as a buildup to Dawson-Tarver. Is it really that hard to figure out that Tarver will do everything he can to avoid fighting Chad Dawson? Didn't Showtime learn that they surpassed HBO in quality in 2005 and 2006 by SELLING FIGHTS and not trying to sell fighters a la HBO? Somebody please make this stop...
moscow bear
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Jan 28 2008, 09:24 PM) [snapback]376724[/snapback]
OK...when is Showtime gonna take their arms from around Antonio Tarver's sack? They just announced that his fight with Clinton Woods will be on April12 and will be a co-feature with Dawson-Johnson and for,yes, thats right, the THIRD time they are trying to sell this thing as a buildup to Dawson-Tarver. Is it really that hard to figure out that Tarver will do everything he can to avoid fighting Chad Dawson? Didn't Showtime learn that they surpassed HBO in quality in 2005 and 2006 by SELLING FIGHTS and not trying to sell fighters a la HBO? Somebody please make this stop...

i dont see what your problem is. I think it will be a pretty good fight, with a good chance of an "upset".
Southeastpaw
I don't care for Tarver but the fight is interesting. I cannot get sick of Showtime myself. They are crushing HBO IMO. And now that EliteXC has signed some name fighters, Show are the kings as far as combat sports in comcerned. Comon, Marqeuz/Vasquez III........................FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tha Docta
c'mon, you know alot of people will tune in just in case tarver gets his ass kicked. the guy has zero fans but plenty of people know his name and would like nothing better than to see him get stretched. i doubt that he ever fights dawson, and i bet tarvers just hoping that his name gets tossed into this old timers tournament that seems to be going on right now (jones, hopkins, trinidad, etc.)
Southeastpaw
Another thing is that Showtime, for the most part, showcases the major talent early. They find the quality fighters, then HBO offers them a contract they can't pass up. Look at all the fighters that Showtime would showcase BEFORE HBO. Plenty. I respect Showtime much more than I do HBO when it comes to boxing.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(moscow bear @ Jan 28 2008, 02:30 PM) [snapback]376725[/snapback]
i dont see what your problem is. I think it will be a pretty good fight, with a good chance of an "upset".

I don't have a problem with the fight at all. I think it will be a close one, so much in fact that when the betting lines open I don't think either guy will be a huge favorite, so whoever wins I don't think it will be an upset (I'm talking about Tarver-Woods). I LOVE the Dawson-Johnson fight much more as it is a much more interesting matchup.

Anyway, my beef is that this is the 3rd consecutive Tarver fight that Showtime has billed as a set up for a showdown with Dawson and it's obvious the fight won't get made or else they would have already made it after Tarver's first tune-up, or even the second one...I'm just trying to make the point that Shotime has been chasing this fight for a year like its gonna be Hagler-Hearns II and that could prove to be problematic for them in the long run.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Jan 28 2008, 03:52 PM) [snapback]376729[/snapback]
I don't have a problem with the fight at all. I think it will be a close one, so much in fact that when the betting lines open I don't think either guy will be a huge favorite, so whoever wins I don't think it will be an upset (I'm talking about Tarver-Woods). I LOVE the Dawson-Johnson fight much more as it is a much more interesting matchup.

Anyway, my beef is that this is the 3rd consecutive Tarver fight that Showtime has billed as a set up for a showdown with Dawson and it's obvious the fight won't get made or else they would have already made it after Tarver's first tune-up, or even the second one...I'm just trying to make the point that Shotime has been chasing this fight for a year like its gonna be Hagler-Hearns II and that could prove to be problematic for them in the long run.

I here what you are saying, but what else would you expect from the sport of boxing? But like most posters already stated, this is by no means an easy fight for Milkdud. I would call it a pick-em fight, it depends on what Tarver shows up.
moscow bear
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 28 2008, 10:05 PM) [snapback]376730[/snapback]
I here what you are saying, but what else would you expect from the sport of boxing? But like most posters already stated, this is by no means an easy fight for Milkdud. I would call it a pick-em fight, it depends on what Tarver shows up.

I actually think that Tarver will be a solid favorite bettingwise. A lot of bookies dont know shit.......
BGv2.0
I just let Showtime go. For me...I had not seen a really good fight on there for some time.....so I canned it. Not to mention the fact that I don't see anything too interesting on the horizon.

I always hear people say Showtime is spanking HBO's ass.....there was a time about 2 years ago, where I thought they were just as good as HBO....but for me...they have NEVER actually surpassed HBO.

And that's not saying HBO is giving me all I want to see and more....it's just that they do tend to toss out the more interesting fights for me...couple that along with their line up of shows.....Curb Your Enthusiasm, HBO Documentaries.....as compared to TOTAL CRAP...like Weeds, Tudors....the only thing Showtime had that I liked was Dexter....which is now moving to CBS.

I'm a HW fan in a drought of an era....so HBO has the top HW...and gave me Povetkin/Chambers and Oleg/Peter.....the choice was easy for me.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(moscow bear @ Jan 28 2008, 03:11 PM) [snapback]376731[/snapback]
I actually think that Tarver will be a solid favorite bettingwise. A lot of bookies dont know shit.......

You may be right about that one...LMAO at your sig!!!! laugh.gif
rusty_trombone
Doesn't Tarver have like a seven fight deal with Showtime or some garbage. I hate Tarver, he's a dickbag
salvador
How could anybody be upset about a card that has Johnson-Dawson on it???????? This could very well be the fight of the year. I've always been kind of pissed off at HBO for abandoning Johnson after the second Tarver fight. Johnson's a great tv fighter who could have made some great fights with Adamek and Briggs.

As far as Tarver-Woods, it's better than Chavez Jr. against TBA.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(salvador @ Jan 28 2008, 06:09 PM) [snapback]376743[/snapback]
How could anybody be upset about a card that has Johnson-Dawson on it???????? This could very well be the fight of the year. I've always been kind of pissed off at HBO for abandoning Johnson after the second Tarver fight. Johnson's a great tv fighter who could have made some great fights with Adamek and Briggs.

As far as Tarver-Woods, it's better than Chavez Jr. against TBA.

TBA is always a dangerous force to be dealt with
BigG
Based on Woods fights with Johnson, Tarver should beat him. Woods is a pretty good fighter, but he just isn't anything special. Johnson almost had him out. If Tarver is in good shape, this should be a win for him.

Dawson on the other hand would fuck Tarver up.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Jan 28 2008, 04:41 PM) [snapback]376736[/snapback]
I just let Showtime go. For me...I had not seen a really good fight on there for some time.....so I canned it. Not to mention the fact that I don't see anything too interesting on the horizon.

I always hear people say Showtime is spanking HBO's ass.....there was a time about 2 years ago, where I thought they were just as good as HBO....but for me...they have NEVER actually surpassed HBO.

And that's not saying HBO is giving me all I want to see and more....it's just that they do tend to toss out the more interesting fights for me...couple that along with their line up of shows.....Curb Your Enthusiasm, HBO Documentaries.....as compared to TOTAL CRAP...like Weeds, Tudors....the only thing Showtime had that I liked was Dexter....which is now moving to CBS.

I'm a HW fan in a drought of an era....so HBO has the top HW...and gave me Povetkin/Chambers and Oleg/Peter.....the choice was easy for me.

But what about Showtime giving us the potential classic Marquez-Vasquez III for FREE!!! You know that HBO would make that a PPV. I think that Showtime has overall better boxing, but HBO has better movies. HBO used to have better boxing when Lou Dibella was at the helm.

Jack
stateofthegame
Dexter is only moving to CBS because of the writer's strike and CBS and Showtime are sister companies.

I like Showtime a lot better for boxing, but that is because they are not PPV crazy like HBO. Hell, even Showtime has put on PPV's and the main event being on regular Showtime at the same time.

thehype
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Jan 28 2008, 03:24 PM) [snapback]376724[/snapback]
They just announced that his fight with Clinton Woods will be on April12 and will be a co-feature with Dawson-Johnson...

They did? I thought this was old news...

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content1794.html

laugh.gif

My bad...just had to toot our own horn...props to Angel for being on top of that one.

As for Showtime...I don't think anything is wrong with the fight...in fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see Woods pull off the upset. I'd much rather watch the free fights on Showtime because they usually end up being better than the PPV fights on HBO that only feature names that are dinosaurs. Think about it...it could be worse....this card could be on HBO and you'd have to pay $49.95 to watch it. Now THAT would suck.

laugh.gif

Warlord
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jan 28 2008, 07:05 PM) [snapback]376748[/snapback]
TBA is always a dangerous force to be dealt with

Indeed.

On a completely unrelated note, Rusty, is that your tattoo? If so... you need to shave your back, dude. Don't think I don't see that shit over there in the upper left-hand corner.
imperial
I love the card I can't wait to see Woods whoop Tarver !
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(moscow bear @ Jan 28 2008, 04:11 PM) [snapback]376731[/snapback]

Why is that? Cause of his name. Tarver has not looked too good recently at all. Also, I sure wish I could see that JT again.
moscow bear
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Jan 29 2008, 04:06 AM) [snapback]376797[/snapback]
Why is that? Cause of his name. Tarver has not looked too good recently at all. Also, I sure wish I could see that JT again.

because quite often bookies just look at the records.... and they see 1. Tarver beating RJJ twice and 2. Woods getting stopped by the same man.

However, both had close fights with Johnson, but I still think that Woods' victory will at least double your money.
Big Slim Sweet
I like this card. Tarver-Woods should be a pretty tight scrap. Props to Showtime for this double-header.
streetlion1
I for one have never liked Showtime too much...I always thought HBO had the better fights, commentators, fight build-up. Who the hell cares about Tarver anymore anyway?!?!
Spreadking3rd
my money is on Woods....he will counter-punch Tarver and give him old man fits
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.