Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WHo should De La Hoya fight as his tune-up?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Col Reb
My first choice would be Chavez, Jr., but seeing that's it down to three, my pick is Paulie. I think it would be a fun fight and would get plenty of buildup with Malignaggi's personality. Plus, the fact that he such a good boxer will prepare Oscar pretty well for Floyd.
thehype
Hey...how come the rematch with Yory Boy Campas isn't listed up there???!!!!
Col Reb
My logic behind this is because a DLH-Chavez fight in Mexico City would be an event (possible attendance record breaker), Chavez could get enormous exposure and a great payday, and he would be a live dog. I do think DLH would win, but I don't think it would be a cakewalk. A loss to DLH would not ruin Chavez's career, but a win would propel him to a title shot. It's a bit of a gamble for him, but I think the benefits outweight the costs.

I don't understand why people would want to see DLH fight Forbes. I think that fight would be a joke. If he truly wants to tune-up against the best quick boxer possible who won't knock him out, he either needs to fight Malignaggi or Collazo. The Malignaggi fight would sell and be a fun promotion, so that is where I hope he goes.

streetlion1
In terms of getting ready for PBF...he should choose Judah. Zab has Floyd-like speed and a slick enough style to make DLH work for at least the first 5-6 rounds. Paulie might also offer a nice tune-up...however why would he fight DLH when he could easily dispose of Hatton? Judah would be a solid choice. thumbsup_anim.gif
Col Reb
I wonder if Judah isn't TOO dangerous for a tune-up fight. He's due for a big win one of these times. I think Paulie would be safer; remember, Judah can crack.
PR316
Miguel Cotto. If Oscar wants to prove that he belongs still belongs in the top of the welterweight division, he needs to fight a real opponent. Otherwise, why would anybody be excited to see him against Mayweather again???..
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 29 2008, 10:14 AM) [snapback]376835[/snapback]
In terms of getting ready for PBF...he should choose Judah.

No. Judah is all wrong for DLH. Oscar doesn't do Southpaws because they give him all kinds of trouble. A fast Southpaw with power to match is DLH Kryptonite.
Spreadking3rd
he should fight an illegal alien fresh from across the border...to show this is the land of opportunity.
BigG
Yeah, I'd favor DLH, but IMO it's a better matchup for Judah then Margarito or Cotto is for sure.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Jan 29 2008, 10:41 AM) [snapback]376834[/snapback]
My logic behind this is because a DLH-Chavez fight in Mexico City would be an event (possible attendance record breaker), Chavez could get enormous exposure and a great payday, and he would be a live dog. I do think DLH would win, but I don't think it would be a cakewalk. A loss to DLH would not ruin Chavez's career, but a win would propel him to a title shot. It's a bit of a gamble for him, but I think the benefits outweight the costs.

I don't understand why people would want to see DLH fight Forbes. I think that fight would be a joke. If he truly wants to tune-up against the best quick boxer possible who won't knock him out, he either needs to fight Malignaggi or Collazo. The Malignaggi fight would sell and be a fun promotion, so that is where I hope he goes.

There's no way Arum is gonna throw Chavez in with DLH right now. Jr is gonna be Arum's cash cow in another year or two plus the kid is only 21 yrs old. I say give Jr another two years and a fight with DLH would be huge, he'll get revenge for his dad by beating up a past his prime DLH just like Oscar did to his dad.

Plus there's no way DLH/Chavez Jr would break the current attendance record held by Chavez in 93' when he fought Haugen, over 135,XXX people in attendance. That record will never be broken in boxing.
Jack 1000
I voted for Hatton. Still a big draw despite losing to Floyd and in the UK it would be more than a tune-up! But, would Oscar get fair treatment over there? Judah would be my second choice. He'd at least look good for 4 rounds before mentally unraveling.

Jack
Hodge
I'm going with Stevie Forbes. This is probably the closest he'll get to Mayweather-like out of all of the group if we're talking "tune-up." He's fast, defensive minded and is not heavy handed enough to really hurt Oscar. I think most of the fighter on the list could make for exciting fights, but if he really wants to win against Floyd, he should get the rounds in with Stevie, who above all on the list, has the best chance of beating Oscar.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Jan 29 2008, 06:36 PM) [snapback]376851[/snapback]
I wonder if Judah isn't TOO dangerous for a tune-up fight. He's due for a big win one of these times. I think Paulie would be safer; remember, Judah can crack.

Due for a big win soon? Judah has fluked one big win against a feather fisted pussy.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(Spreadking3rd @ Jan 29 2008, 03:46 PM) [snapback]376864[/snapback]
he should fight an illegal alien fresh from across the border...to show this is the land of opportunity.

lol
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Jan 29 2008, 02:36 PM) [snapback]376851[/snapback]

Now thats funny. clapping.gif
BigG
I cant see Forbes beating DLH but I think he can definitely make Oscar look bad.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jan 29 2008, 01:43 PM) [snapback]376860[/snapback]
No. Judah is all wrong for DLH. Oscar doesn't do Southpaws because they give him all kinds of trouble. A fast Southpaw with power to match is DLH Kryptonite.

Judah is fast but I think you are over-rating his power. Judah would be the same against DLH as everyone else he has fought...in it for the first half...and probably K.O.ed not long after.
BigJuicyHog
Ivan Calderon....he is fast and slick, and he wouldnt pose a proble with power! smile.gif

In all seriousness, I think he should fight Judah. Zab is a decently big name, will fight well for the first few rounds, then probably get sloppy and get knocked out. Then in the 24-7 leading up to the second fight, Oscar can brag how he stopped Zab when Floyd couldnt. The casual fans would eat it up.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 30 2008, 10:13 AM) [snapback]376941[/snapback]
Judah is fast but I think you are over-rating his power. Judah would be the same against DLH as everyone else he has fought...in it for the first half...and probably K.O.ed not long after.

There aren't too many guys @ 147 who's power I would rate over Judah's. Cintron and Cotto come to mind. Then maybe Margarito, Williams, and possibly Quintana. Besides them, who else is there?
streetlion1
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jan 30 2008, 10:50 AM) [snapback]376945[/snapback]
There aren't too many guys @ 147 who's power I would rate over Judah's. Cintron and Cotto come to mind. Then maybe Margarito, Williams, and possibly Quintana. Besides them, who else is there?

LOL...well thats almost about everyone! Mosley has more power as well. Judah has the least power of all the top names in the division. He belongs at 140...which is why it would be a good "tune-up" lots of speed, no power.
BigG
Quintana, Williams, Margarito don't hit harder then Zab. Zab lays guys out with his left.
Col Reb
Why doesn't anyone want to see DLH fight Malignaggi? What is his downside?
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 30 2008, 11:04 AM) [snapback]376947[/snapback]
LOL...well thats almost about everyone! Mosley has more power as well.

No. Mosley isn't puching as hard as Judah is @ 147. Nope, not even close...
streetlion1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 30 2008, 11:41 AM) [snapback]376952[/snapback]
Quintana, Williams, Margarito don't hit harder then Zab. Zab lays guys out with his left.

He does?! Not any top fighters he wont! He wouldnt be fighting a Wayne Martell or Cosme Rivera or even Spinks!
streetlion1
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jan 30 2008, 01:59 PM) [snapback]376973[/snapback]
No. Mosley isn't puching as hard as Judah is @ 147. Nope, not even close...

Well they may have been longer ago..but he has 5 KO's to Judah's 3 at 147!...I think Mosley hits harder then people give him credit for.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 30 2008, 02:34 PM) [snapback]376977[/snapback]
Well they may have been longer ago..but he has 5 KO's to Judah's 3 at 147!...I think Mosley hits harder then people give him credit for.

Shane has been in the division since 1999. Judah didn't get there until 2004.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jan 30 2008, 03:37 PM) [snapback]376987[/snapback]
Shane has been in the division since 1999. Judah didn't get there until 2004.

I know neither of them have big power at 147 but if I had to choose one to give me a K.O. it would be Mosley....of course it depends on who they are fighting too. However I feel Mosley is stronger at this weight than Judah is.
rusty_trombone
Well, I guess I'm the only retard who voted for Paulie. If he's going to fight a small guy, that would be my pick.
Col Reb
The Paulie fight would be alot of fun, especially the press conferences. HBO could do a great countdown show. If he's going to fight a slick boxer, Paulie is a great choice.
BigG
Judah knocked out Cosme Rivera viciously in 3...something the hardest punching prospects, Berto and Joel Julio couldn't do. Both were regarded as offensive beasts. In fact, people feel Berto would whip Judah at this point. I think Judah would kill him.

Look at this video I made of Zab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-vv1zud24w

What Zab lacks mentally, he doesn't lack in speed/power, that's for sure. The guy is 2nd to none in those departments. It's a shame though, he could be so much better if he just had Floyd's ring smarts and discipline. All the talent is there.

Now watch that video and tell me if you really think Carlos Quintana hits harder than Zab.

And btw, Spinks IS a top fighter, weather you like him or not. Champion at 147, 154, and arguably beat Jermain Taylor at 160. He has P4P skills.
streetlion1
All I gotta say is let Zab fight a top name and see if he gets a K.O....I like Zab...im not knocking his talent..only his power...and against a DLH,PW,Margarito,or Mosley he would have next to no chance of seriously hurting them. He did hurt Cotto I believe twice when they fought..but it wasnt bad...its clear this guy belongs at 140 where he would have K.O. power.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 31 2008, 04:19 AM) [snapback]377029[/snapback]
Zab's best knock out win at 147 is against Spinks. I think I forgot who Mosley's best KO win over a top name at 147 is. Could you refresh my memory?

Shannan Taylor mate.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 30 2008, 07:53 PM) [snapback]377010[/snapback]
Cotto has proven to take better shots at 147, but even then Mosley barely hurt him when everybody (including me) thought it was inevitable to happen in the fight, while Judah didn't land anywhere near as much as Mosley and was still able to hurt him on numerous occasions.

Agreed. Mosley was able to find Cotto with plenty of clean right hands early in the fight yet wasn't able to put any hurt on Cotto. Zab, OTOH, didn't land nearly as many left hands but was able to put Cotto on queer street - especially with that left uppercut. However, I think it was Mosley's body attack that had Cotto retreating late in the fight.
BrutalBodyShots
Guys I think the old punching power "who hits harder than who" debate is getting pretty tired in general.

There are FAR bigger factors than punching power in and of itself... most importantly in my view is how fast the shot is, how accurate it is, where it lands, whether or not the other guy sees it coming, etc.

Mosley at 154 was able to wobble Wright worse than Taylor was ever able to in 36 minutes against Wright at 160.

Does that mean Mosley at 154 hits harder than Taylor at 160? Of course not. Mosley just landed one of those "perfect" shots persay on Wright which gave him that result.

So briefly back to the Judah/Mosley debate... when considering the factors outside pure punching power such as speed/accuracy I would give the edge to Judah which in turn would make him seem like the bigger puncher.

Col Reb
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jan 30 2008, 11:02 PM) [snapback]377020[/snapback]
But wouldn't fighting Williams go against the definition of a tune-up?

I was talking about Paulie Malignaggi. I think that would be a great tuneup for Oscar and a great series of press conferences to hype the fight.
dj necrogenic
Spadafora would be a great one.. He'd be fighting an undefeated fighter whom Floyd never fought despite always being in the same divisions. Spaddy was always pretty good at bending and twisting providing odd angles... Plus Spaddy doesnt have the power to hurt DeLaHoya.
bpipe
Forbes is the best choice to prep for Mayweather by far. He fights similar to Floyd, not as good, but similar stylewise. Forbes is one of the few fighters who like Mayweather uses the shoulder roll defense and thats what makes hitting Floyd so difficult. Forbes has not and will not ever master the shoulder roll defense like Floyd obviously has, but he's as close as it gets. The whole purpose of this May fight for Oscar is to get ready for Floyd. Malignaggi has nothing in common style wise as Floyd other than the fact that he's fast and isn't a devastating puncher. Speed is not the only thing Floyd has so just because a fighter is fast doesn't mean he's going to give you the same look Floyd does and thats why I think Forbes is going to get the fight because of his overall style and he's a pretty fast guy himself.
The Original MrFactor
The fact that DLH is looking at getting a guy 2 weight classes below him, shows how shot he is. Why not fight a top 10 welterweight? Too much risk?? Well, if they are too much of a risk, then why is it that people are willing to buy in to the fact that DLH deserves a shoty at the so called #1 guy in the division. Truth is that DLH would struggle with most guys in the top 10. He'd probably be soundly beaten by the top 4 or 5. He is really a fraud at this point.

Its also is a case in point that DLH was competitive with Mayweather. Mayweather would lose to the top half of the division because he, like Zab and Hatton belongs at 140. How long will the wool be pulled over people's eyes. Mayweather will not fight anyone in the top 5. He is a fraud who knows that 147 is too big for him. Mitchel, Zab and Hatton were best at 140 pounds, but he got a pass for that. Baldomir and DLH are both around 35 and well past their best fighting days.

Essentially, DLH is doing the exact same thing. Skips the top 5 and fights a guy at 140. Only the suckers are gonna buy...
streetlion1
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jan 31 2008, 03:31 PM) [snapback]377072[/snapback]
The fact that DLH is looking at getting a guy 2 weight classes below him, shows how shot he is. Why not fight a top 10 welterweight? Too much risk?? Well, if they are too much of a risk, then why is it that people are willing to buy in to the fact that DLH deserves a shoty at the so called #1 guy in the division. Truth is that DLH would struggle with most guys in the top 10. He'd probably be soundly beaten by the top 4 or 5. He is really a fraud at this point.

Its also is a case in point that DLH was competitive with Mayweather. Mayweather would lose to the top half of the division because he, like Zab and Hatton belongs at 140. How long will the wool be pulled over people's eyes. Mayweather will not fight anyone in the top 5. He is a fraud who knows that 147 is too big for him. Mitchel, Zab and Hatton were best at 140 pounds, but he got a pass for that. Baldomir and DLH are both around 35 and well past their best fighting days.

Essentially, DLH is doing the exact same thing. Skips the top 5 and fights a guy at 140. Only the suckers are gonna buy...

I disagree about DLH losing to the top 4 or 5 147lbers. Of course he isnt going to fight a top name because that would take away the point of it being a "tune-up" fight. who would he lose to?!...certainly not Margarito...PW lacks too much experience to fight him or PBF at this point...who's left..maybe Mosley or Cotto I'll give ya those two. Sure as hell not that bitch Cintron! He gave PBF arguably the toughest fight of his career....so that has to say something. Though I cant stand PBF I think the only one who beats him at this point is Cotto. Its not that DLH deserves another fight with PBF...but its PBF who should've chose someone else to fight...DLH is the one who has "nothing more to prove" and at 147 PBF has everything to prove. DLH isnt doing the same thing as PBF...PBF is in his prime..DLH is not...he has already shown us that he is a warrior who will fight anybody...PBF has shown us that he likes to duck the best and make excuses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.