Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winky Wright????????
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
D-MARV
Does anyone know where he has been and who he may fight next?
Last I heard he was trying to get a fight with Arthur Abraham
Southeastpaw
They can't get him outta his turtleshell after the shellackin he took from BHop.
Col Reb
He needs to start picking up belts if he wants to get people to fight. Otherwise, he'll price himself out of fights and render himself useless.
thehype
Last I heard, he was managing some rock band...and yes...I'm being serious.

I'm sure it won't be too long, however, before he comes out to throw his name into the Pavlik-Taylor II winner sweepstakes.

Q: So tell us about it Wink. What's poppin? When can we expect to see you back in the ring?

WW: Well, since Oxcar ain't really wanna fight, I got my eye set on the winner of dat Pavlik-Taylor rematch. Even dough I feel I already beat Jermain, I'm lookin' to give the fans the biggest fights possible so if it's Jermain, he could get it again. If it's Pavlik, he could get it too.

Q: You know Wink. Roy Jones Jr. recently called out several middle and light heavyweights, but the one name he left out was yours. Is that a fight that might interest you?

WW: Oh, mos definitely. If I were Roy, I wouldn't say my name either, but I would love an opportunity to fight Roy and do something that Bernard wasn't able to do. We bof Florida boys so dat's a fight dat definitely makes sense. We could do it big in St. Pete and my man Lacy could fight on the undercard.

Or something like that...

laugh.gif

Seriously though...Jones vs. Wright??? That doesn't sound too bad...as long as it's not on PPV.

laugh.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
Raskin wrote an article about this over at ESPN. Winky won't fight either Forrest or Jones because he considers them friends.

It's interesting how Winky went from being Number 2 and then 3 P4P, to just plain forgotten. I guess losing a competitive decision to B-Hop is a big setback. The thing that bothered me is that in the last issue of The Ring, many people overlooked Winky in their P4P lists. Some of them included Paul Williams, Guzman and even DLH but they didn't include Winky. Shameful.
BigG
I was getting emials from Winky about his idie rock band.

laugh.gif
BigJuicyHog
He apparently doesnt want to take tuneups. He thinks he is a big enough name to just make the big bucks against the big boys. There are several problems with this. Winky is boring, but a dangerous fighter, he is coming off of a loss, and he is only as big as his opponent makes him. Nobody outside of boxing knows who he is. He should take a semi-meaningful fight against someone with a decent name...maybe Kassim Ouma or someone, and work himself back into a title shot. He is like 36, so I dont think he can sit around and cherry pick forever.
streetlion1
I think Wink should fight the winner of Pavlik-Taylor...which will probably be Pavlik. He would have a very good chance at winning the decision!
Big Slim Sweet
Wink specifically listed Kessler and Abraham as two fighters not worthy of his time as opponents these days.

Too bad he won't fight Roy or Vernon. Those are two of the only fights involving him at this point that I'd be interested in seeing.
ringside21
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jan 30 2008, 12:47 PM) [snapback]376944[/snapback]
I think Wink should fight the winner of Pavlik-Taylor...which will probably be Pavlik. He would have a very good chance at winning the decision!

I think Wink should Taylor if he's gonna fight either of the two because Kelly Pavlick would beat him to a pulp. Im a big Winky fan but thats a fight I dont think he has the balls to take and he shouldnt take it either. He already beat Taylor, he was ROBBED big time! I think he should fight him again just to beat him to redeem himself, but Pavlick is going to beat Taylor in the same fashion.
falvoa
Although I am all for fighters managing themselves, I like that better in most cases, there are special cases which are examples of why we shouldn't get rid of sly working managers in boxing and Winky is one of them. Winky Wright needs a good manager/promoter.

PLEASE!!!

falvoa
aggressive.gif
Douchebag
What's the Wright move?
Call it the counterpuncher's conundrum: If an opponent won't come to you, you can bore everybody stiff waiting, or you can suck it up and go to him.

Winky Wright is, by nature, a counterpuncher. He doesn't just put the earmuffs on; his guard is like a full ski mask: high, tight and nearly impenetrable, designed to pick the other man's punches off until Wright is ready to throw counter shots. Like any good counter-punching artist, Wright turns his opponent's attacks into his own offensive opportunities.

But the former undisputed junior middleweight champion has shown he can take the fight to his opponent when he has to. Wright pressed forward in his 1999 fight with Fernando Vargas. He brawled in '03 with the overmatched Angel Hernandez. He followed Jermain Taylor to the ropes in '06, doing his best work when he chose to lead rather than counter.

And when he fought fellow boxer/counterpuncher Bernard Hopkins last July, there was no mistaking who forced the fight. Wright came forward, doing his part to make a dreadful chess match a little more palatable.

But he paid the price for straying from his natural counter-punching tendencies; Hopkins landed the cleaner blows and won a unanimous decision.

It marked Wright's first defeat in nearly eight years. And six months later, it's becoming apparent just how damaging that loss was to his career.

Every mainstream name at or around Wright's weight has found himself a big-money dance partner for '08. Roy Jones and Felix Trinidad boogied two Saturdays ago to the sweet sounds of cash registers opening and closing. Kelly Pavlik will cut a rug -- and his pay-per-view teeth -- against Taylor in three weeks. Hopkins and Joe Calzaghe will hit the floor to make each other hit the canvas on April 19. And Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather are lined up for a Sept. 13 rematch to last year's record-smashing waltz.

Winky, it seems, is the odd man out. He's spent six months on the sidelines, has nothing lined up and doesn't appear to have much hope of landing a bout with any of the aforementioned stars any time soon.

He's faced with the counterpuncher's conundrum all over again: Do I wait for one of these big fights to come to me, or do I move forward and make something happen? In other words, does Wright have to take a step back and a step down, fight a nonsuperstar and get a new winning streak going in order to position himself for the fights he really wants?

Why should I go fight these lesser guys when I know I'm above them?" Wright responded. "You got De La Hoya. He's a steady loser; he lost two of his last three. Taylor lost his last fight. All of these fighters lose. But they have opponents who want to fight them again. I have nobody that wants to fight me because they know they're in for a tough fight. They're ducking me, they don't want to fight. That's why I'm left out.

"They want me to fight [Mikkel] Kessler. Why do I need to fight these dudes? I'm at the top. Arthur Abraham and people like that, I have no interest in them. For what?"

It sounds like Wright, a tricky southpaw, has a grasp on the reality of why the big fights aren't coming his way. His primary selling points as an opponent from 2004-07, when he scored a string of marquee matches, were his unbeaten streak and his upper-crust pound-for-pound status. The Hopkins fight ended the former and damaged the latter, giving the superstars an excuse not to fight him.

What Wright isn't grasping is what he may need to do about it.

"He doesn't want to fight tune-ups?" marveled HBO boxing analyst Larry Merchant. "Oscar De La Hoya's talking about a tune-up, and this guy, who's never been an attraction, wants to walk into a multimillion-dollar fight? On what basis? Winky Wright is not Oscar De La Hoya -- nobody is -- and you've got to go out and fight. He can demand all he wants, and he can wait all he wants, but the longer he waits, the farther the distance is since he last won a fight."

Lester Bedford, a veteran promoter, manager and broadcaster, agrees with Merchant that Wright will do enormous damage to his career if he stays inactive much longer.

"You have a diminishing value the longer you're out," Bedford said. "Unless there's some real intrigue about you, like a Sugar Ray Leonard, where there's anticipation over you coming back, you can't sit out for a year and come back and have the same value.

"One of the problems is these guys get spoiled. They make that real big money, and then it's hard to get them motivated to turn around and fight for significantly less. But the inactivity, at his age, is really going to hurt him."

Wright isn't so terribly old. He isn't in danger of being renamed Wrinkly Wright. But at 36, he isn't so terribly young either.

The good news is, because of his tremendous skill level, he hasn't taken much punishment, and for a guy with 56 fights on his ledger, he doesn't seem to be on the downside. In his past three fights, Wright drew with then-middleweight champ Taylor in a close fight he deserved to win, he nearly shut out Ike Quartey and he moved up two weight classes and lost a close decision to Hopkins, a living legend.

Most boxers would give their left pinky to be Winky. He still has his skills. He's not hurting for money (fights against Shane Mosley, Trinidad, Taylor and Hopkins all paid handsomely). He has fought on either HBO or HBO PPV 13 times. He's a sure shot for the Hall of Fame. It's a career worthy of envy.

But his current situation is not so enviable.

Wright fought in France, Monaco, Germany, Argentina, England and South Africa trying to make a name for himself in the '90s. To an extent, it worked, and he reaped the benefits in the 2000s. But it's a lot to ask of any man to expect him to go the road-warrior route for a second time, a full decade after he thought he was done with it. That rules out fights with the likes of Kessler, Abraham or Felix Sturm.

And a semi-intriguing fight against Vernon Forrest is out of the question because Wright considers Forrest his friend. For the same reason, he isn't interested in facing Jones. ("Then he's got too many friends," Merchant quipped.)

The obvious advice is to tell Winky to take a fight on Versus or ESPN2 against a nondescript opponent, get a new winning streak started and remain on the superstars' radar. It may even be advisable for him to tank it a bit and look like a faded fighter, improving the apparent risk-to-reward ratio for potential opponents.

That's the obvious advice. It doesn't mean it's the right advice.

The last time everyone told a big-name, veteran fighter that he was mismanaging his career, it was Hopkins, who was 36 when he scored his breakout victory over Trinidad. "The Executioner" followed that up by fighting Carl Daniels, sitting out for 13 months and then tanking at the box office in his hometown against Morrade Hakkar.

The supposed mismanagement worked out brilliantly when Hopkins landed a fight with De La Hoya soon after that paid $14 million.

Maybe, like Hopkins, Wright will find opportunity by going against conventional wisdom.

It's not easy to win a fight backing up. But the most skilled of counterpunchers can do it.

source
Al Hata

I'd love to see Paul Williams vs. Winky Wright.
Southeastpaw
Winky should make friends with ALL the fighters around his division so we will never have to see him fight again. Stinky Winky what day call em.
BigG
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jan 30 2008, 03:54 PM) [snapback]376936[/snapback]
Raskin wrote an article about this over at ESPN. Winky won't fight either Forrest or Jones because he considers them friends.

It's interesting how Winky went from being Number 2 and then 3 P4P, to just plain forgotten. I guess losing a competitive decision to B-Hop is a big setback. The thing that bothered me is that in the last issue of The Ring, many people overlooked Winky in their P4P lists. Some of them included Paul Williams, Guzman and even DLH but they didn't include Winky. Shameful.

Paul Williams, Guzman, DLH over Winky? That is disgracefull. Wiky is still a P4Per.
streetlion1
QUOTE(ringside21 @ Jan 30 2008, 12:47 PM) [snapback]376965[/snapback]
I think Wink should Taylor if he's gonna fight either of the two because Kelly Pavlick would beat him to a pulp. Im a big Winky fan but thats a fight I dont think he has the balls to take and he shouldnt take it either. He already beat Taylor, he was ROBBED big time! I think he should fight him again just to beat him to redeem himself, but Pavlick is going to beat Taylor in the same fashion.

I disagree totally! No one is gonna beat Winky to a pulp...his defense is way too good. Pavlik wouldnt be able to walk him down and damage him with straight rights as he has everyone else....he would have to box more...and given that..I would give Winky the edge based on his counter-punching ability....I think i'd be a good fight.
buford54
I don't get the Winky hatred. While he doesn't knock anyone out, he comes forward all night long, forcing the other guys to fight.
He gets a bad rap as far as boredom, because the one thing that you do know about Winky is that he isn't going to knock anyone out.
I wish he wouldn't complain as much as he does about not getting big fights...because there comes a point where you need to make the fight exciting, or accept that you'll be avoided.

If Winky had taken advantage of the times when he had stunned Tito, and went for the kill...he'd probably be much more popular than he is now.

STEVENSKI
I hear he is taking a break in Canada hanging with Lefthook.
BrutalBodyShots
Williams and Wright are multiple divisions apart - why is anyone talking about them fighting?

The Original MrFactor
Point blank, Wright should be all over the Abraham fight... Trouble is, he'll have to go to Germany to do it. Winky's trouble is that he's not a KO puncher. He'd have to KO Abraham in order to get a split decision in Germany. See the Miranda fight...
STEVENSKI
Cry cry cry. Thats all people do about foreign fights especially in Krautland. Winky sux I hope he gets fucked up good & retires. Lefthook was right all along & you all know it.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jan 31 2008, 04:50 PM) [snapback]377077[/snapback]
Cry cry cry. Thats all people do about foreign fights especially in Krautland. Winky sux I hope he gets fucked up good & retires. Lefthook was right all along & you all know it.

So you didnt see any funny business in the Miranda/Abraham fight??
Warlord
Winky Wright???????? Where has he been?

Who cares?

?
D-MARV
QUOTE(Warlord @ Feb 2 2008, 11:24 PM) [snapback]377281[/snapback]
Who cares?

?

I'm sure a lot of people are intrested in his next fight!!!!
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jan 31 2008, 04:46 PM) [snapback]377075[/snapback]
He'd have to KO Abraham in order to get a split decision in Germany. See the Miranda fight...

Damn if he knocked out Abraham he would only be awarded a split decision win? =)

Warlord
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 3 2008, 02:09 AM) [snapback]377303[/snapback]
I'm sure a lot of people are intrested in his next fight!!!!

Who?
D-MARV
QUOTE(Warlord @ Feb 4 2008, 12:28 AM) [snapback]377414[/snapback]
Who?

In my book Winky is stll a top 10 pound for pound guy. He doesn't have many fights left so I for 1 would like to see him fight soon and Despite what you may think of Winky!, he still a man that Im sure a lot of boxing fans would like to see fight. I wanted too know his next possible matches.
Pavlik-Taylor winner?
King Arthur?
Roy Jones Jr?

georg
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jan 30 2008, 01:09 PM) [snapback]376958[/snapback]
Wink specifically listed Kessler and Abraham as two fighters not worthy of his time as opponents these days.

I heard that Wright was offered a fight against Kessler but turned it down due to money, and Kessler not being a big enough name.

So the second best fighter at super middle ain't good enough? thumbsdown_anim.gif fuck.gif

The arrogant bastard needs to realise that he ain't boxing office material, he stunk out the Mandalay Bay against Hopkins, and has looked shite since moving up to 160!
streetlion1
QUOTE(georg @ Feb 6 2008, 06:56 AM) [snapback]377621[/snapback]
I heard that Wright was offered a fight against Kessler but turned it down due to money, and Kessler not being a big enough name.

So the second best fighter at super middle ain't good enough? thumbsdown_anim.gif fuck.gif

The arrogant bastard needs to realise that he ain't boxing office material, he stunk out the Mandalay Bay against Hopkins, and has looked shite since moving up to 160!

He hasnt looked shitty at 160!! against who?! The man was robbed against JT, whipped Trinidad, beat Soliman. He doesnt have a crowd pleasing style but anyone who loves boxing has to appreciate his skill....a walk- you- down counterpuncher with great defense! As far as looking bad against B-Hop....Gimme one person who hasnt looked bad against Bernard! And no Kessler isnt a big enough name and would probably get schooled against Winky.
D-MARV
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 6 2008, 04:56 PM) [snapback]377650[/snapback]
He hasnt looked shitty at 160!! against who?! The man was robbed against JT, whipped Trinidad, beat Soliman. He doesnt have a crowd pleasing style but anyone who loves boxing has to appreciate his skill....a walk- you- down counterpuncher with great defense! As far as looking bad against B-Hop....Gimme one person who hasnt looked bad against Bernard! And no Kessler isnt a big enough name and would probably get schooled against Winky.

AGREED!
Winky aint no Gatti when it comes to exciting fights, but the man has Skills. Winky is still a pound for pound guy and would beat a lot of guys out there including Kessler!
Elijah
"Manager/trainer Emanuel Steward told Fightnews.com on Tuesday that his unbeaten 23-year-old middleweight Andy Lee (15-0, 12 KOs) will soon be taking a major step up and that he expect Lee to become a world champion by 2009. Steward said Lee would be back in camp with Wladimir Klitschko on Thursday and will headline an ESPN2 card on March 21 [against Brian Vera], followed by an April 10th fight in Detroit. Then comes a date in Ireland against former world title challenger Howard Eastman. After that Steward said he wants to put Lee in with Winky Wright, which would position Lee to fight for the title."

Sadly I don't know shit about Andy Lee and if that's the case then I'm SURE WW will say he's not a big enough name. At some point WW will HAVE to take a fight despite the fact his opponent isn't a big name. Winky basically went his whole career bitchin about the exact same thing now he's tryin to play that same card.
georg
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 6 2008, 06:16 PM) [snapback]377657[/snapback]
AGREED!
Winky aint no Gatti when it comes to exciting fights, but the man has Skills. Winky is still a pound for pound guy and would beat a lot of guys out there including Kessler!

All Winky has is a jab,Kessler would take away Winkys jab with his own and that is all Winky has

kesslers hammer of a jab would honestly have winky quitting on his stool in the late rounds and i wouldnt be surprised if kessler landed a midround ko with a huge right upper

Kessler is a more skilled fighter than WInky.

WW has ended up being basically a pressure fighter, his legs are completely shot and he cant box-move any more. He still has that great open gloved defense and fast jab, but thats about it, and it isnt enough to beat a bigger man, especially a good bigger man like kessler.

Dont forget, Winky has been beaten up already at 160 - Soliman landed a million looping punches on him, and Taylor dominated whenever he took the middle of the ring. I just don't think he has the style to hang with naturally bigger guys

Kessler is too big and too strong for Wright. Kessler can work at a fair pace and doesn't have much wear and tear on him at this stage. Wright isn't big enough to cope with what Kessler can bring, who also carries a fair dig. Kessler wins this down the stretch overwhelming Wright with size, strength and power
BigG
Winky has never been beaten up at 160.

Kessler more skilled than Winky? LOL.
WindyCityP
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 7 2008, 12:13 PM) [snapback]377693[/snapback]

Kessler more skilled than Winky? LOL.

More skilled? Maybe not, but Winky is no mover. I think Kessler has reach, power, SIZE and a better jab at 168. Besides I think Winky knows that 168 is a "big bozo no no".
georg
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 7 2008, 05:13 AM) [snapback]377693[/snapback]

Sorry,i meant at 154 dntknw.gif
Fitz
I think georg is kind of on the right track to be honest. I think he was a little harsh on Winky on his assesment. But besides that, I can't say I totally disagree with him. At one stage Winky was underrated, I think he can sometimes be a little overrated as well. He is a good fighter, but seriously, I know Kessler has not beaten some serious names, but Winky's biggest wins are against Mosley at 154. It's good, but nothing to seriously brag about. I Would probably pick Kessler over Winky as well.
D-MARV
QUOTE(georg @ Feb 7 2008, 04:59 AM) [snapback]377692[/snapback]
All Winky has is a jab,Kessler would take away Winkys jab with his own and that is all Winky has
kesslers hammer of a jab would honestly have winky quitting on his stool in the late rounds and i wouldnt be surprised if kessler landed a midround ko with a huge right upper

Kessler is a more skilled fighter than WInky.

WW has ended up being basically a pressure fighter, his legs are completely shot and he cant box-move any more. He still has that great open gloved defense and fast jab, but thats about it, and it isnt enough to beat a bigger man, especially a good bigger man like kessler.

Dont forget, Winky has been beaten up already at 160 - Soliman landed a million looping punches on him, and Taylor dominated whenever he took the middle of the ring. I just don't think he has the style to hang with naturally bigger guys

Kessler is too big and too strong for Wright. Kessler can work at a fair pace and doesn't have much wear and tear on him at this stage. Wright isn't big enough to cope with what Kessler can bring, who also carries a fair dig. Kessler wins this down the stretch overwhelming Wright with size, strength and power

WTF?
Who in the hell has Kessler beaten to make you believe he would dominate Winky? even KO him in the Mid-Rounds? Winky has never been KO'd! Winky only has a jab? How about Defense and counter-punching ability! I'm not saying he would dominate Kessler. But I see Winky pulling off the decision. I hate when people bring up the Soliman fight. Let's not forget Winky had a 102 body Temp that night. Remember how pale he looked? He doesn't have enough to hang in there with naturally bigger men.? Did you not see the Hopkins fight? The fight was close, some people even saw Winky winning the fight. I scored it 115-113 for Hopkins but Winky was definitely in the fight.
Kessler a more skilled fighter than Winky? LOL
Fitz
I don't think Hopkins-Wright was that close. I thought Hopkins controlled the whole fight. I remember Hopkins rough housing him and then getting inside Winky's head in the 3rd. Winky started to become agitated, started to whine to the referee. Hopkins pretty much took Winky out of his comfort zone and messed with him. I thought it was Hopkins who won it very clearly.
Once again, people are not too familiar with Miundine. Kessler's win over him was pretty solid.
BrutalBodyShots
I could see Winky getting stopped for the first time in the relative near future. Regardless of his good defense, he's been in some TOUGH fights taking big shots from bigger guys for several fights now and let's face it he's not getting any younger.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 7 2008, 07:21 AM) [snapback]377699[/snapback]
I don't think Hopkins-Wright was that close. I thought Hopkins controlled the whole fight. I remember Hopkins rough housing him and then getting inside Winky's head in the 3rd. Winky started to become agitated, started to whine to the referee. Hopkins pretty much took Winky out of his comfort zone and messed with him. I thought it was Hopkins who won it very clearly.
Once again, people are not too familiar with Miundine. Kessler's win over him was pretty solid.

Iam very familiar with Mudine, he is a very good fighter, as well as Kessler. Im not saying Kessler is no good. I think he is good fighter! But I feel that there is no way he dominates a fight with Winky. I think Winky's experience and the fact that he is a southpaw would be enough to pull off a close decision.
As far as the Hopkins fight! My take is Hopkins won the fight! Did he control the whole fight? Absolutely not! I thought Winky's Jab was what kept him in the fight. BHOP used his normal rough housing style to get inside of Winky's head but he did not completely take Winky out of his game. Winky's Jab was landing all night! Alot of ringside observer had Winky winning the fight after 9 rounds!
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 7 2008, 10:11 AM) [snapback]377706[/snapback]
Alot of ringside observer had Winky winning the fight after 9 rounds!

Maybe uneducated observers, but that's it.

Wright won 3-4 rounds on the official cards. Even if you take away the last 3 rounds Hopkins was still winning after 9, he just hadn't pulled such a big margin on the cards yet at that point.

D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 7 2008, 12:46 PM) [snapback]377712[/snapback]
Maybe uneducated observers, but that's it.

Wright won 3-4 rounds on the official cards. Even if you take away the last 3 rounds Hopkins was still winning after 9, he just hadn't pulled such a big margin on the cards yet at that point.

uneducated my ass!
Winky outlanded Hopkins and had a higher percentage than he did. Winky also landed nearly 10X more jabs than BHOP.
Like I said before BHOP won the fight, but by a small margin. Winky was competative.
But I guess the offical cards are always correct and on point! nea.gif
Fitz
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 9 2008, 11:27 AM) [snapback]377789[/snapback]
uneducated my ass!
Winky outlanded Hopkins and had a higher percentage than he did. Winky also landed nearly 10X more jabs than BHOP.
Like I said before BHOP won the fight, but by a small margin. Winky was competative.

I don't know if those were compubox numbers or not, we don't get those numbers down here. But my ass he did. I saw none of that. Who cares whether Winky landed 10 times more jabs anyways, that's like Winky's only punch anyways and I remember Hopkins wasn't fighting that style where he predominantly used his jab. He mauled Winky on the inside. The inside!!!
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 8 2008, 08:12 PM) [snapback]377800[/snapback]
I don't know if those were compubox numbers or not, we don't get those numbers down here. But my ass he did. I saw none of that. Who cares whether Winky landed 10 times more jabs anyways, that's like Winky's only punch anyways and I remember Hopkins wasn't fighting that style where he predominantly used his jab. He mauled Winky on the inside. The inside!!!
We are just going to have to agree to disagree. One thing is for sure and that is BHOP did win the fight! Hands Down!
BHOP won that fight in the championship rounds! Going into the 10th I felt it was anybody's fight! i had Winky up 1 round. I gave the last 3 to BHOP cause he physically wore down Winky with his rough housing tactics! (perfect gameplan). BUt I felt that the fight was competative. HBO felt the fight was competative as well. Lederman had the fight 114-114, and Merchant had Winky winning.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 8 2008, 07:27 PM) [snapback]377789[/snapback]
uneducated my ass!

Obviously you don't know how to score a fight. Maybe you should listen to Harold's criteria before the next fight on HBO and study them. "Higher connect percentage" and "10x more jabs" are not scoring criteria for a fight. Those two tidbits in and of themselves mean nothing as far as scoring goes. And like Fitz said, I don't believe those numbers to be accurate anyway. Funny how you don't reference Hopkins' advantage of 143 landed power shots to Wright's 80 since you're obviously a "compubox" guy.

QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 8 2008, 07:27 PM) [snapback]377789[/snapback]

Not just the official cards, but the cards of everyone on this forum as well (aside from you). Go check out the thread on that fight, no one had Wright winning or BARELY losing.

BigG
Winky was competitive, but there is absolutely no way he won that fight. He was beat up at the end and lost 9-3.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 9 2008, 11:25 AM) [snapback]377834[/snapback]
Winky was competitive, but there is absolutely no way he won that fight. He was beat up at the end and lost 9-3.

Yup, completely agree. The most acceptable score is 9-3... I couldn't see any wider than 8-4, exactly the same way the official judges saw it.

streetlion1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 7 2008, 05:26 AM) [snapback]377698[/snapback]
WTF?
Who in the hell has Kessler beaten to make you believe he would dominate Winky? even KO him in the Mid-Rounds? Winky has never been KO'd! Winky only has a jab? How about Defense and counter-punching ability! I'm not saying he would dominate Kessler. But I see Winky pulling off the decision. I hate when people bring up the Soliman fight. Let's not forget Winky had a 102 body Temp that night. Remember how pale he looked? He doesn't have enough to hang in there with naturally bigger men.? Did you not see the Hopkins fight? The fight was close, some people even saw Winky winning the fight. I scored it 115-113 for Hopkins but Winky was definitely in the fight.
Kessler a more skilled fighter than Winky? LOL

True Dat!!! Kessler isnt in the same league! I for one think Wink would have a good chance of dominating Kessler if they ever fought. I also agree that the Hopkins fight was alot closer...neither of them did much to each other...but B-Hop more-so controlled the fight..I also had it 115-113 for B-Hop.
D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 9 2008, 11:23 AM) [snapback]377833[/snapback]
Obviously you don't know how to score a fight. Maybe you should listen to Harold's criteria before the next fight on HBO and study them. "Higher connect percentage" and "10x more jabs" are not scoring criteria for a fight. Those two tidbits in and of themselves mean nothing as far as scoring goes. And like Fitz said, I don't believe those numbers to be accurate anyway. Funny how you don't reference Hopkins' advantage of 143 landed power shots to Wright's 80 since you're obviously a "compubox" guy.
Not just the official cards, but the cards of everyone on this forum as well (aside from you). Go check out the thread on that fight, no one had Wright winning or BARELY losing.

I know how to score fights. Every fight I judged this year was pretty much accurate. I judged about 100 fights in 2007. The only fights I was way off were the Cruz-Casamayor and Spinks-Taylor. Both fights were highly disputed! As far as the Winky-BHOP, I know Bhop won the fight. He DId Beat WInky! I admit that. My arguement was the fact that Bhop did not controll the whole fight like someone posted. BHOP was not totally comfortable in that fight either.

As far as the as the stats are concerned, "You have a computer, go look them up" Im not just pulling sh*t out of my a$$.

I Know Harold's critera and I follow them exactly! Funny, Harlod himself scored the BHOP WINKY fight a draw.

D-MARV
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 9 2008, 03:41 PM) [snapback]377851[/snapback]
True Dat!!! Kessler isnt in the same league! I for one think Wink would have a good chance of dominating Kessler if they ever fought. I also agree that the Hopkins fight was alot closer...neither of them did much to each other...but B-Hop more-so controlled the fight..I also had it 115-113 for B-Hop.

Brutal,
Looks like I wasn't the only one in this forum who saw the fight the way I did!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.