Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gorres-Darchinyan thread...........
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
It's gonna be a great fight.

I'm very confident in Gorres skills. IMO, he can win this fight easy. But of course, Vic has that power.

AussieLad
Vic hasnt learnt his lesson about leading with his chin, but i dont think gorres has the pop to drop him like donaire did. The donaire punch was picture perfect in execution, those sort of punches dont come around too often. I dont see history repeating here

Definite chance of vic losing a decision, but i will take him by KO over gorres
BigG
Vic better not underestimate Gorres pop. He is quick as hell.
AussieLad
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 1 2008, 10:15 PM) [snapback]377159[/snapback]
Vic better not underestimate Gorres pop. He is quick as hell.

Well its certainly a possibility that he probably will underestimate it. But i think he can still deal with it

Its just a question of whether vic can land on gorres, because if he cant he wont be winning on points. Gorres has the potential to make vic work hard to land, and catching vic as he lunges. But i still see vic grinding him down.
dj necrogenic
Is this fight being televised in the US..
kidbazooka1
I've never been to big on Gorres but he obviousley has better skill than Vic.

Vic's only chance is to stop Gorres because there's now way he's gonna get a decision in the phillipines.
BigG
Gorres gave Montiel a great fight even though he lost. Vics only chance in this fight is to catch Gorres because Gorres has the quickness and skills to box circles around Vic and he might have the quickness to sting him with counters. He stopped Nonito's brother Glenn in 1...
mexi-cutioner
Yeah I think Gorres has got this fight, not jsut because hes on my fantasy team, but as a fighter hes very underrated and has alot of skill and knowledge I think he can get an easy Decision over Darchinyan, but Darchinyan is one hell of a puncher nad if Gorres gets caught hes done. Another thing that may cause Gorres the fight is his stamina, as in the Montiel fight he had no energy left by the 10th round and had to clinch which caused him to lose very important pts in the final rounds. If he only had better stamina he woudlve won that fight
Romulus9
Here's a thought.

I want to see Ana Ivanovic, Maria Sharapova, Maria Kirilenko, and Jelena Jankovic have a four-way oil wrestling match sponsored by Wesson... with me as the referee.

There's a thought.

Concerning the Darchinyan fight... nothing whatsoever.
BigG
Apparently it was a close fight. I'm a reading a description and Darchinyan knocked Gorres down in round 1 but it was a VERY cquestionable call.

Gorres on the other hand had Darhcinyan down in round 2.

After that it just seemed like a close fight.

Gorres wants a rematch.
mexi-cutioner
my dad watched the fight and he was telling me how it was a VERY close fight, Darchinyan was fighting using his dirty tactics including elbowing,pushing and heabutting and the referee didnt do sh*t which angered the filipino fans. Gorres was winning the fight upto around rd 7 or 8 where he began to tire out as usual, thus causing him to just barely hang on in the final 3 rounds. If Gorres ever wants to be a world champion hes going to need to gain that stamina that will allow him to box for the entire 12 rounds not just half..
kidbazooka1
I didn't watch the fight but for Vic to get a draw agianst a pinoy fighter in the phillipines he must have done pretty damn good. I wonder if Vic woukld have won if the fight was held in a nuetral country.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Feb 2 2008, 12:34 PM) [snapback]377227[/snapback]
I didn't watch the fight but for Vic to get a draw agianst a pinoy fighter in the phillipines he must have done pretty damn good. I wonder if Vic woukld have won if the fight was held in a nuetral country.

why are u being so biased about the phillipines??? The phillipino judge in this fight gave it to Darchinyan 114-112 and it was the Australian judge who you'd think would give it to Darchinyan calling it a draw between the fighters. When Fernando Montiel fought Gorres, he was given the decision even though he was fighting Gorres in the Philipines...
Don Flamenco
QUOTE(mexi-cutioner @ Feb 2 2008, 04:41 PM) [snapback]377246[/snapback]
why are u being so biased about the phillipines??? The phillipino judge in this fight gave it to Darchinyan 114-112 and it was the Australian judge who you'd think would give it to Darchinyan calling it a draw between the fighters. When Fernando Montiel fought Gorres, he was given the decision even though he was fighting Gorres in the Philipines...

Darchinyan was completely robbed in the fight.

I'll try and post a link to the video once it's available for you all.
BigG
I read several articles and it appears like Gorres should have lost. They didn't count a knockdown for Darchinyan in round 9 it appears...they also didn't count about 2 knockdowns in the Montiel fight.
torvix2000
Gorres practically lost the fight. But in theory, it was a draw. I think Vic's aggressiveness and dirty tactics won it.
torvix2000
This fight proved that Vic really has no business in the ring against somebody who has some skills and some bit of a pop like Donaire.
BigG
Keep him away from Montiel. DarCHINNYan would get fucked up.
pastor method
"Gorres practically lost the fight. But in theory, it was a draw."

what?

"This fight proved that Vic really has no business in the ring against somebody who has some skills and some bit of a pop like Donaire."

darchinyan has fought guys with skill and pop before, and won. if gorres 'practically' lost, then how does it prove darchinyan can't fight guys with skills?
BigG
Gorres IS good and if Darchinyan was robbed like I read, then that makes him look good because skillwise Gorres is definitely very good. It seems like Gorres hasn't improved on stamina. He was falling all over the place vs. Montiel and although they took points away from Fernando in that fight Montiel was probably robbed of TWO knockdowns.

And DarCHINNYan would get knocked out by Nonito again, outclassed and stopped late vs. Fernando Montiel, and embarrassed vs. Cristian Mijares. He is not in the clas in the TRULY elite of his division but who knows he might be able to beat Arce but thats not even a sure thing because Arce can punch.
Fitz
Just saw on the news that Vic is going to file a protest to the IBF about the controversial draw.
BigG
Fitz, you think Vic could beat someone as good as Mijares? I DO hate Chinny. Seeing him get knocked out by Nonito was one of the happiest nights of boxing in recent times for me. thumbsup_anim.gif

Bias aside though, Montiel has Gorres quickness, except he is alot tougher and he's got a better chin. Bad fight for Chinny. Miajres is tall, extremely quick, and highly skilled..bad fight for Vic.

BUT, he could be someone like Arce. Although that would be 50-50.
Fitz
Gary Shaw was talking on the news via phone live, and said they are going to protest the decision. He said he has no idea how someone can score 2 knockdowns and clean up rounds 10, 11 and 12 and not get a win (apparently the Thai judge didn't give him the 10th or something which Shaw couldn't believe). He said Vic scored another 2 knockdowns that weren't awarded either.
He said the Aussie judge was a disgrace to Australia and then apparently over heard the Aussie judge say to someone that he was happy the fight was a draw because apparently Vic walked past him and didn't acknowledge him. Shaw said that Vic has never met him before and didn't know who he was and didn't mean to disrespect the judge.
He said up until 3-4 in the morning, Philipino's were coming up to Vic and telling him he won the fight.
Fitz
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 3 2008, 04:49 PM) [snapback]377294[/snapback]
Fitz, you think Vic could beat someone as good as Mijares? I DO hate Chinny. Seeing him get knocked out by Nonito was one of the happiest nights of boxing in recent times for me. thumbsup_anim.gif

Bias aside though, Montiel has Gorres quickness, except he is alot tougher and he's got a better chin. Bad fight for Chinny. Miajres is tall, extremely quick, and highly skilled..bad fight for Vic.

BUT, he could be someone like Arce. Although that would be 50-50.

I have seen Mijares fight twice, against Arce and can't remember who he fought in the other and though he fought well against Arce and used his jab well. He was all wrong for Arce. I really can't make many predictions in this division as I really need to see more fights from more fighters, a lot of picks I make won't really be good ones, kind of educated guesses.

But seriously, it kind of stumps me as to how Nonito Donaire was such a big underdog, he looked very good from what I saw and impressed me a great deal. If I had seen him fight before the Darchinyan fight and looked like he did when I have seen him, the fight wouldn't have shocked me as much. I kind of lumped him similar to his brother, the odds portrayed that as well.
BigG
Nonito was a big underdog because Darchinyan was basically the first real world class fighter he had fought up to that point. And Darchinyan was overrated.

Mijares would embarrass Vic.

Gorres has always been tremendously skilled but a VERY shaky fighte in the later rounds. I'm actually not surprised Vic was very succesfull late. Montiel had him holding on for deer life and hurt him very bad.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 3 2008, 02:24 AM) [snapback]377298[/snapback]
He said up until 3-4 in the morning, Philipino's were coming up to Vic and telling him he won the fight.

Hey Mexi-Cutioner what do you have to say about that?
BigG
I'll be watching and scoring the fight soon and I'll give my take on how the fighters looked.
kidbazooka1
Montiel and Mijares would both whoop Vic with ease.

Arce would stop Vic in brutal fashion. If Vic couldn't take a left hook from Nonito(who with all do respect is a good puncher himself trust me I know cool.gif )he would crumble under Arce's hook. It's true that Vic is troubled by boxers but I highly doubt he would be able to withstand Arce's artillary of punches.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Feb 2 2008, 11:14 PM) [snapback]377304[/snapback]
Hey Mexi-Cutioner what do you have to say about that?

hahaha funny. well like i said before, i personally didn't see the fight but I heard it was very close up until the later rounds where Gorres ended up running out of steam as usual. Although Gorres has appeared to choke in both his chances at a world title (vs darchinyan and montiel) he is definitly one of the more skilled fighters coming out of the phillipines and also very intelligent( i heard he was making Vic look stupid at times by dodging his wild shots). IF Gorres can improve his stamina and possibly his chin, then he can definitly compete with the top in the division no problem.
salvador
Darchinyan and Arce need to fight each other before they lose any more fights.
BigG
I just saw the fight. Vic was robbed. He should have won. And like Gorres and hate that fuck Vic but I'm calling it how I see it. Darchinyan's style is so crude and UGLY to watch.

The KD in round 1 was total BS. The reply showed that there was no punch.

Darchinyan on the other hand was down hard in round 2 from a counter right hook.

Gorres was winning the fight up until round 9 where as usal he started falling apart. Gorres was down in round 9....seemed like a balance knockdown but a knockdown nontheless.

Darchinyan took the 10th and was robbed of a knockdown in round 11.

And I guess Vic took the 12th but it was close.

Overall, it was a good fight.

But I cant see how Vic beats Montiel and Mijares. Arce-Vic like I said is 50-50 because Arce hits hard as hell.
STEVENSKI
Did the crowd throwing bottles affect either fighter?
BigG
No, it didn't. The only person it probably affected was the referee, who did a shitty job overall. The knockdown in round 1 was CLEARLY a slip, yet he gave Gorres a standing 8 count. The knockdown in round 11 was CLEARLY a knockdown, yet he called it a slip.

BTW, I believe Gorres was cut form a headbutt in round 6. DarCHINNYan was dirty, pushing Gorres all over the place in the late rounds.

Gorres can beat and hurt Darchinyan in a rematch. He also stunned Vic a couple of times in the early rounds.
torvix2000
Good job Big George for watching the fight carefully.
mexi-cutioner
i had my scorecards as:
10-8 Darchinyan
10-8 Gorres
10-9 Gorres
10-9 Gorres
10-9 Darchinyan
10-9 Darchinyan
10-9 Gorres
10-9 Darchinyan
10-8 Darchinyan
10-9 Darchinyan
10-9 Darchinyan
10-9 Darchinyan
FINAL SCORECARD: 115-110 Darchinyan

Gorres just looked awful in the final 3 rounds he was falling all over the place and couldn't get up without the referee pulling him off the ground, he needs to badly improve that stamina of his and Vic needs to improve that ugly style of boxing he has lol
Don Flamenco
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 3 2008, 01:41 AM) [snapback]377300[/snapback]
Nonito was a big underdog because Darchinyan was basically the first real world class fighter he had fought up to that point. And Darchinyan was overrated.

Mijares would embarrass Vic.

Gorres has always been tremendously skilled but a VERY shaky fighte in the later rounds. I'm actually not surprised Vic was very succesfull late. Montiel had him holding on for deer life and hurt him very bad.

You can all judge for yourselves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKKsDHU3NUY

Vic was robbed
BigG
Also Gorres was down in round 5....and they didn't call it. That made up for the BS call in round 1...then Gorres might have been down twice more in the late rounds.
Don Flamenco
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 4 2008, 12:05 PM) [snapback]377446[/snapback]
Also Gorres was down in round 5....and they didn't call it. That made up for the BS call in round 1...then Gorres might have been down twice more in the late rounds.

Yep

Z was down twice more in the later rounds and the ref didn't even bother counting. I wonder if that bogus 1st round KD call rattled the ref a bit. That crowd looked heated throwing all kinds of shit in the ring.

You can't blame this completely on the Philippines though, The Filipino judge had it 114-112 for Vic while the Thai judge had it for Z and the Aussie judge had it a draw. If anything, it's Vic's own peeps that fucked this up... the ref and the judge.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(mexi-cutioner @ Feb 4 2008, 03:46 AM) [snapback]377421[/snapback]
Gorres just looked awful in the final 3 rounds he was falling all over the place and couldn't get up without the referee pulling him off the ground, he needs to badly improve that stamina of his and Vic needs to improve that ugly style of boxing he has lol

Vic is who he is I doubt he'll ever be able to switch his style.
BigG
I think the ref was rattled. First of all, the crowd hated Vic and Gorres was the hometown hero. the ref was inexperienced. Now, the 1st knockdown was a bogus call and the crowd got out of control. But I seriously don't know how the ref missed at least 2 of the later knockdowns. They seemed balance because Gorres would try to like wrestle Vic on the way down but fact is those were knockdowns. Something similar happened in round 10 in the Montiel fight where Gorres got hit with a right, lost his legs, and tried to take Montiel down with him. The ref called it a slip but at the same time he took a point away from Gorres because of holding (not excesseively) so that kind of made up for the missed call.

Also, Vic's trainer, Billy Hussein I believe was hit in the head with a plastic bottle at the end of the fight.

Classles crowd...I hope the rematch next time is held in neutral ground.

Darchinay is still very dangerous with his power.

Gorres has the skills to beat most guys in his division but I might have to favor Vic in the remacth.
BigG
The Aussie had it for Gorres
The Thai had it a Draw
And The Pinoy judge had it for Vic

Jack 1000
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 3 2008, 12:24 AM) [snapback]377298[/snapback]
Gary Shaw was talking on the news via phone live, and said they are going to protest the decision. He said he has no idea how someone can score 2 knockdowns and clean up rounds 10, 11 and 12 and not get a win (apparently the Thai judge didn't give him the 10th or something which Shaw couldn't believe). He said Vic scored another 2 knockdowns that weren't awarded either.
He said the Aussie judge was a disgrace to Australia and then apparently over heard the Aussie judge say to someone that he was happy the fight was a draw because apparently Vic walked past him and didn't acknowledge him. Shaw said that Vic has never met him before and didn't know who he was and didn't mean to disrespect the judge.
He said up until 3-4 in the morning, Filipino's were coming up to Vic and telling him he won the fight.

Damn!

I am going to have to see this fight! Sounds like it was a good one.
Here is Wikipedia's account of the fight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Darchinyan

Scroll down to "Controversial Draw with Gorres."

Was it a Filipino ref? what about those "slips" in the later rounds? were they justified or not? Sounds like it was a close fight but Darchinyan should have won.

Jack
Jack 1000
That was BULLSHIT!!!! A shoe in already for worst decision of the year!!! Vic CLEARLY won that fight. I had him up 116-110.

Jack
Don Flamenco
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Feb 7 2008, 09:47 PM) [snapback]377742[/snapback]
Damn!

I am going to have to see this fight! Sounds like it was a good one.
Here is Wikipedia's account of the fight:

Scroll down to "Controversial Draw with Gorres."

Was it a Filipino ref? what about those "slips" in the later rounds? were they justified or not? Sounds like it was a close fight but Darchinyan should have won.

Jack

Nah, the ref is a New Zealander.

At least two of those "slips" in the later rounds should have been knock downs. Gorres looked completely drained in the later rounds.

Here is the fight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKKsDHU3NUY
Don Flamenco
Funny thing about boxing that takes place in other parts of the world outside the U.S., one person will mistakenly say right hand when it should have been a left and every report from then on after will say that a left hand landed instead of a right.

Take this fight for example, the shot that landed for Gorres was clearly a right hand. A Filipino sportswriter in the Philippines that doesn't know his right from left says it was a left, and then all of a sudden on every article from then on after will say it was a left hand that knocked Vic down in the 2nd.

Gorres came back in the second round to floor Darchinyan with a left hand, but Darchinyan beat the count,

Quick, someone show me an article that correctly says it was a right hand. This shit bugs the hell out of me.
AussieLad
Disgraceful scoring, pitiful inexperienced refereeing

Not sure which broadcast you guys watched, but the commentating was hilariously biased. Donaire commentating constantly scoring rounds for Gorres, that clearly vic won. Giving gorres the 12th... LOL

I agree first round was not a knockdown, but Vic put him down twice more that were not scored. Gorres got out of it claiming he was pushed, but they were clear knockdowns

It wasnt a close fight, or at least shouldnt have been on the scorecards

Vic looked his usual self, still lacking a lot of polish, but of the two he deserved a win and a title shot

His appeal won't achieve much against the decision, no matter how good his case, they never work
Jack 1000
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Feb 9 2008, 07:47 PM) [snapback]377872[/snapback]
Disgraceful scoring, pitiful inexperienced refereeing

Not sure which broadcast you guys watched, but the commentating was hilariously biased. Donaire commentating constantly scoring rounds for Gorres, that clearly vic won. Giving gorres the 12th... LOL

I agree first round was not a knockdown, but Vic put him down twice more that were not scored. Gorres got out of it claiming he was pushed, but they were clear knockdowns

It wasnt a close fight, or at least shouldnt have been on the scorecards

Vic looked his usual self, still lacking a lot of polish, but of the two he deserved a win and a title shot

His appeal won't achieve much against the decision, no matter how good his case, they never work

Hahhahahaha!!!

Looking back, I actually GAVE Gorres the 12th too because I was trying to find some SOME rounds to give him to try to understand the closeness in the scoring and STILL had Vic up 116-110. He won that fight by at least 4 points, and that is being generous to Gorres.

Jack
AussieLad
I assume VIc will get the title shot given the performance against a strong opponent instead of the result, but i know nothing about the champion. Russian? Can anyone shed some light. Is he any good?

After the donaire disaster, vic's chin has looked a little chipped. But that happens after a big KO loss. Sometimes it takes a few fights to regain that composure to remain upright after a decent shot. Sometimes after a while the chin comes back, sometimes it stays chipped. Time will tell with vic, he usually eats a few shots to deliver
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.