Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roy Jones goes off on Friday Night Fights
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
pacco_diablo
The Roy Jones haters would have been flipping over his interview on Friday Night Fights. He was adamant about still being one of the best p4p of all time. He then gave a list of people that he would like to fight. It went something like this...

1. Joe Calzaghe
2. DLH (he said he wasnt really interested in the fight but he'd do it at 166.)
3. Benard Hopkins
4. Jermaine Taylor
5. Kelly Pavlik

He seemed very confident about fighting any of these guys, and from his reaction while talking about this, I think he'd beat any of them too. I see his point, he kept saying over and over, that p4p he is still ONE of the best in the game today. He's obviously thinking about mopping up as many 168> as he can before he retires, and him beating at least 2 people on this list should put him back near the top, IMO at least. If he can make the weight, then why shouldnt he be recognized as a great if he's beating the top 160-168 in the game???

He also picked the Giants to win the Super Bowl.

BigG
Jones beats:

Jermain Taylor (EASY)

Could go either way:

Joe Calzgahe

Jones losses to:

Bernard Hopkins
Kellly Pavlik
BrutalBodyShots
I find it hilarious that EVERY guy Jones talks about fighting is below 175. Well, I guess Hopkins is an exception for one fight anyway.

JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 1 2008, 11:16 PM) [snapback]377183[/snapback]
Jones beats:

Jermain Taylor (EASY)

Could go either way:

Joe Calzgahe

Jones losses to:

Bernard Hopkins
Kellly Pavlik

I am not certain Jones beats Taylor, based upon what I saw against Tito...Taylor has issues, but he is an athlete.

You can put Calzaghe on the "Jones gets whooped by" list. He does not have the legs, the stamina, the workrate, the reflexes or the chin.
pacco_diablo
I'm not sure if you are right, but I think there is a good chance that the fight is going to happen.
BigG
It sounds crazy, but I just cant see Calzaghe beating Jones easy with his style. Calzgahe is not quicker then Jones, he isn't a better athlete, he doesn't hit as hard and it's not Calzgahe style to physcially crowd someone on the ropes like Glen Johnson.

And I think Roy beats Taylor's ass.
JD
Roy might beat Taylor...but I can also see Taylor flurrying and hurting Jones. Taylor is caca now, but Jones has shit for legs and no stamina really.

I think Joe's style is the perfect kind of style to put it on Jones...I think Calzaghe would beat on Roy at this point. Joe Cal may not throw faster single punches, but he throws many more combinations, has legs that are infinitely better, stamina that is far beyond Roy's, and his workrate would make Roy fight more than when he just wants to. The Trinidad fight was not all that impressive to me...it went as I expected, and I think Jones showed his legs are worse than we thought.
streetlion1
RJJ is one of the most non-realistic and B.S. fighters I have ever seen!! In that list...only JT would offer his best chance at winning...still I would give Taylor the benefit of the doubt. RJJ was over-rated in his prime....and now he thinks he is back because he beat an inactive too big for his own good Trinidad..gimme a break! Instead of calling out these big names at lower weight classes..why doesnt he call out a Tarver..or a Johnson...or better yet a Dawson?! He is nothing more than a JOKE at this point! P4P one of the best... laugh.gif The roids must have really effected this mans brain!! I thought he was an over-rated piece of shit when he was in his prime...now I really cant stand this guy!! I cant wait to watch him get the hell beat out of him!
caneman
roy musta forgot fuck.gif fuck.gif
BrutalBodyShots
Jones still punches fast as hell but his reflexes and timing are off. In his prime he could land that counter left hook whenever he wanted to. Now he misses it FAR more than he lands it. Half the time he checks it because by the time he's about to throw it he doesn't think it will land. Also while his lead rights are still impressive, he misses way more now than he did several years ago. I just think Jones' timing and reflexes are deteriorating, which is to be expected as he ages. When he lets his hands go they still fly with lightning speed, but he usually does that all of once per round for maybe 20 seconds.

IMO he doesn't beat Calzaghe.

Jack 1000
QUOTE(caneman @ Feb 2 2008, 06:17 AM) [snapback]377199[/snapback]
roy musta forgot fuck.gif fuck.gif

What a great picture!!!!! If the Taylor that fought Pavlik fights Jones that way, this will happen again. If Jones ever fought Pavlik, Pavlik could land like Tarver and Johnson did and it could be a fatal result. Roy can not swallow hard punches anymore without serious consequences to his health, so his overly inflated ego has to go back to a most-money, least risk mentality. Roy should go back to HBO commentary. I can't stand his ego BS in the ring anymore.

Jack

PS. I will take Calzaghe over this Jones. Too much pressure on the inside and Roy doesn't the reflexes anymore to keep Calzaghe off of him. It could be like the Lacy beating. Roy would need to be in his prime to beat Joe, but the question is, would a prime Roy take the risk of getting in with a pressure fighter like Calzaghe? Because pressure (moreso than going for single hard shots) is the natural way that Calzaghe fights. Roy wouldn't like that too much.
Roy and the media are putting too much on the Trinidad win. Tito was even more shot AND INACTIVE than Roy was.
pacco_diablo
The best thing about opinions is that no one is right and no one is wrong. We can give reasons until the sun comes up to back up our opinions, but the fact remains, they are still opinions. In my opinion, RJJ is getting comfortable with his weight adjustment back to the lower classes and despite not being as crisp or as fast as he used to be, he still has what it takes to beat anyone on his list. i think Calzaghe gives him the most trouble and he seems to want this fight the most. The way he was talking, he sounded as if he was daring Pavlik or Taylor to come up in weight. Neither will happen, nor will DLH, but Calzaghe is a lock, IMO. Thats if he can get by Hopkins. I'm still not so sure that Hopkins will fight Roy, not out of fear, but out of dislike.
JD
QUOTE(pacco_diablo @ Feb 2 2008, 12:32 PM) [snapback]377210[/snapback]
The best thing about opinions is that no one is right and no one is wrong.

Until they fight...that is. friends.gif
D-MARV
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 2 2008, 03:34 AM) [snapback]377194[/snapback]
RJJ is one of the most non-realistic and B.S. fighters I have ever seen!! In that list...only JT would offer his best chance at winning...still I would give Taylor the benefit of the doubt. RJJ was over-rated in his prime....and now he thinks he is back because he beat an inactive too big for his own good Trinidad..gimme a break! Instead of calling out these big names at lower weight classes..why doesnt he call out a Tarver..or a Johnson...or better yet a Dawson?! He is nothing more than a JOKE at this point! P4P one of the best... laugh.gif The roids must have really effected this mans brain!! I thought he was an over-rated piece of shit when he was in his prime...now I really cant stand this guy!! I cant wait to watch him get the hell beat out of him!

I didn't realize that you were a RJJ Hater!!! You bring some good points about other topics but I disagree on this one.
Im a RJJ fan. Always liked him and always will. But I do know that RJJ is no where near what he used to be. Overrated in his prime? absolutely not!. RJJ is a great boxer and in my opinion one of the greatest in this era. Roy knows that guys like Tarver, Johnson, and Chad can Knock him out. (though I think he can beat johnson and tarver if he didn't fight so cautiously) He is calling out guys he knows wont knock him out. Cazaghe will probably beat RJJ by decision, but I would not be shocked if he defeats Calzaghe. I give RJJ a good chance at beating Pavlik. Notice Pavlik is great at fighting guys who stands in front of him. RJJ wont do that. As far as Taylor, it just depends on which Taylor shows up. He couldn't knockout blown up welterweight so I doubt he knocks out Jones but I can see Taylor earning a close decision. BUt if RJJ dont lay on the ropes all night and stick and move like Spinks did against Taylor then RJJ would win.
hardhead
I don't want Jones to fight Calzaghe because I would hate to see Calzaghe beat him and have that name on his record knowing that in his prime(hell 6-7 years ago) Calzaghe couldn't hold a candle to Jones. Too much speed, too much skill, too strong, too much defense, too much athleticism, too much everything.

I'm a Roy fan and was happy to see him win but I really want him to stay retired because I would hate to see him get clipped again, Tarver II and Johnson was just too much to watch as a fan.

I think right now he beats Taylor but loses to Pavlic(too much power and pressure) and Calzaghe(I hate to say it), with Hopkins I think he still has the style that could give Hopkins problems but I still give Hopkins the edge because of activity and opposition. One of the biggest fights that never was IMO was Hopkins/Jones II it's a shame these guys couldn't get it on 6 years ago.
PR316
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 2 2008, 04:16 AM) [snapback]377183[/snapback]
Jones beats:

Jermain Taylor (EASY)

Could go either way:

Joe Calzgahe

Jones losses to:

Bernard Hopkins
Kellly Pavlik

Agree with some of these.

vs B-Hop- Roy is just better. Hopkins tail end of his career has been better than Roy's, but that doesn't change anything for me because B-Hop doesn't have KO power, doesn't have a high workrate, and its not like he can outspeed Roy from outside.

vs Taylor- JT's gun shy nature would get the better of him here. Roy wouldn't stop him, but he would touch him up enough to keep him defensive and unwilling to commit to anything. If he didn't KO Spinks at 160, I definitely don't see him KOing Jones at 168 or above.

vs Calzaghe- I favor Joe for sure, but I think Roy's own hand speed and athleticism make this competitive. Jones is still fast enough to catch Calzaghe with some good shots, and Joe has never met anyone who can match him in speed(B-Hop won't be it). I think Cal takes a competitive decision here.

vs Pavlik- I think KP is too hungry and too much into his prime for Roy today. 4 years ago, Roy would have destroyed this kid. But I think now Pavlik would beat a defensive Jones either via decision or late stoppage.
PR316
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 2 2008, 08:34 AM) [snapback]377194[/snapback]

Woah, bro.. I think your stretching it now... Roy Jones in his prime was indeed a SPECIAL fighter. A phenomenom the likes that nobody ever saw. There's just NO WAY he was overrated. Arrogant??.. Sure... Stubborn??... Definitely... But inside the ring the man was one of a kind. Maybe his quality of competition wasn't the greatest, but lets not forget that he beat Bernard Hopkins and James Toney. Hopkins may have not quite hit his peak yet, but neither had Roy. And the fact that B-Hop was able to win rounds just shows how great he is. Jones moved UP in weight to fight James Toney, and just embarrased the man. HUMILIATED him... I think that fight played a big role in Toney just losing his way and never dedicating himself fully to his career. But at that time, Toney was one of the best fighters in the world and many were picking him to beat Jones, and those that picked Roy didn't think it would be that one sided.

Captured world titles in 4 divisions, reigned supreme for about 13 years, and hardly lost a round doing so. That has to count for something. Sure there were some fights that could have been made that didn't get made but it wasn't all Roy's fault. Guys like Dariusz Michelczweski(Spelling error I know), Vassily Jirov, and Joe Calzaghe all refused to come to America and fight him. Surely Roy cannot be blamed for those fights not materializing.

Gotta give the man his due, even if you don't like him personally.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 1 2008, 11:16 PM) [snapback]377183[/snapback]
Jones beats:

Jermain Taylor (EASY)

Could go either way:

Joe Calzgahe

Jones losses to:

Bernard Hopkins
Kellly Pavlik

Almost 100% agreed,.......

Jermain would lose,...he would try to out point Roy,....With the exception of B-hop, has any one else noticed that Jermain allows the opponent to dictate the pase of the fight?....

Calzaghie would win,...simply because his legs provide him alote more movement than Roy is comfortable with. Roy's right hand
would find its place, but so did a younger Kessler's......

Kelly pavlik,.. entirely to slow,...... dosent have much of a chin,...granted,....this would be a fight worth watching. Who would get knocked out,....that would be the only outcome of that fight. Pavlik by late KO

Bernard Hopkins,......wow,...Bernard is not the fighter of old,....Offensively, ..Defensively he is now a Master. Hopkins would win...No doubt... Roy fights like he's scared now, He no longer posses the reflexes to get awat from a jab, and does this kinda Winky Wright type of defense when he's being backed up and on the ropes......Hopkins by late KO..
streetlion1
O.K. true I might be over-dueing my opinion of him because I dont like him....though he was/is a special fighter I still stand behind my thinking he is over-rated because of the caliber of competition he faced. It just irritates me hearing him beg for a fight that he'll never get (DLH) and him saying he is one of boxings biggest draws and he is still P4P one of the best...Which is definitly not true! I really want him to fight B-Hop....its a fight my boy Hopkins has been looking for for years...in that fight RJJ would get roughed up and out classed.....I think if he believes he is sooo good..why not call out Dawson?!
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Feb 2 2008, 08:01 PM) [snapback]377261[/snapback]
Kelly pavlik,.. entirely to slow,...... dosent have much of a chin,...

What the hell do you base Pavlik not having a good chin on?

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(PR316 @ Feb 3 2008, 12:47 AM) [snapback]377260[/snapback]
Sure there were some fights that could have been made that didn't get made but it wasn't all Roy's fault. Guys like Dariusz Michelczweski(Spelling error I know), Vassily Jirov, and Joe Calzaghe all refused to come to America and fight him. Surely Roy cannot be blamed for those fights not materializing.

Gotta give the man his due, even if you don't like him personally.

Why did he not travel then? It is not like Roid is some kind of draw who can call the shots. I can & do hold him at least partially accountable for his lack of actions concerning foreign based fighters.

PR316
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 3 2008, 04:43 PM) [snapback]377351[/snapback]
O.K. true I might be over-dueing my opinion of him because I dont like him....though he was/is a special fighter I still stand behind my thinking he is over-rated because of the caliber of competition he faced. It just irritates me hearing him beg for a fight that he'll never get (DLH) and him saying he is one of boxings biggest draws and he is still P4P one of the best...Which is definitly not true! I really want him to fight B-Hop....its a fight my boy Hopkins has been looking for for years...in that fight RJJ would get roughed up and out classed.....I think if he believes he is sooo good..why not call out Dawson?!

I honestly wouldn't care too much to see him fight Oscar, though I would love to see him give De La Hoya a beating. aggressive.gif

His quality of competition is not the greatest, but a little underrated as well. He has Hopkins and Toney on his ledger. Solid guys like Del Valle, Reggie Johnson, Julio Gonzalez, and don't forget a win he holds over Antonio Tarver. And his conquest at heavyweight was impressive.

Its not a Sugar Ray Robinson resume, BUT..... It was and is alot more than either Darius, Jirov, or Calzaghe ever did, and this is in respone to STEVENSKI.... Those guys had no pull in calling the shots on Roy Jones. ROY JONES was the man. Not either of those guys. Those others were merely good(In Calzaghe's case great), solid fighters who despite their undefeated records were relatively untested and definitely held no bargaining power over Jones. It was THEM that needed to come to the US and beat the drums for a Jones fight, and all those guys didn't do that. Instead they all talked a good game but stayed within their comfort zones and never came out to face the champion.

Lets keep in mind that NOBODY is calling Chad Dawson. Antonio Tarver is running scared, and has basically said he wants no part of the man. Glen Johnson is the only one willing to step in and take the challenge, but Glen has nothing to really live off of. He sorta HAS TO fight Dawson if he has any hopes of landing a big fight against the likes of Calzaghe, Jones, Hopkins, Pavlik, Taylor, Tarver, etc. etc... If he doesn't fight Chad, he'll very easily fall off the face of the earth. The other guys have some leverage in being able to seek bigger fights.
STEVENSKI
Calzhage has consistantly drawn big crowds far in excess of anything like Jones could draw in his prime. Why would Calzhage want to take a pay cut & fight in a bingo hall just to fight Roid. Just like in Germany where they also draw consistantly big crowds to cards that feature mediocre fighters.
buford54
QUOTE(PR316 @ Feb 3 2008, 12:47 AM)
Sure there were some fights that could have been made that didn't get made but it wasn't all Roy's fault. Guys like Dariusz Michelczweski(Spelling error I know), Vassily Jirov, and Joe Calzaghe all refused to come to America and fight him. Surely Roy cannot be blamed for those fights not materializing.

Dude...are you serious?
Roy sent Jirov a contract, which Jirov promptly signed and returned. Roy then went into hiding for 3 months until Jirov got tired of sitting around and had to take another fight. Roy then came out claiming that the issue was a promotional issue with wanting to stage the fight in Dubai, blah blah blah. Then, a few months later, after he had fought someone like Glenn Kelly...he said that it was about the money and that he would have only gotten 7 million to fight Jirov, and he made 4 or 5 for a Kelly fight.
Also, Jirov has been fighting out of the US for most of his career.

As far as Darius and Calzaghe, we all know that they don't like to travel. BUT, they were operating out of the Roy Jones school of business. If Joe Calzaghe can fight Tocker Pudwill in Cardiff for 3 million, or come the the US to have Roy low-ball him...why step it up? Same w/ Dariusz in Germany.

The fact is, Roy has never cared about taking challenges, he only cared about making money. And he had a contract that guaranteed him 3 million dollars for a mandatory title defense. So he had zero incentive to ever step it up and challenge himself.

Roy needs to shut his mouth and win a meaningful fight. He just beat Trinidad...5 years too late and 10 pounds too high. And he fought his typical safety first, do a dance every time I throw a jab kind of fight.
He should try to avenge his loss to Glenn Johnson before he opens his mouth about being anywhere near the top 25 p4p.
Fitz
QUOTE(buford54 @ Feb 5 2008, 12:47 AM) [snapback]377428[/snapback]
Dude...are you serious?
Roy sent Jirov a contract, which Jirov promptly signed and returned. Roy then went into hiding for 3 months until Jirov got tired of sitting around and had to take another fight. Roy then came out claiming that the issue was a promotional issue with wanting to stage the fight in Dubai, blah blah blah. Then, a few months later, after he had fought someone like Glenn Kelly...he said that it was about the money and that he would have only gotten 7 million to fight Jirov, and he made 4 or 5 for a Kelly fight.
Also, Jirov has been fighting out of the US for most of his career.

As far as Darius and Calzaghe, we all know that they don't like to travel. BUT, they were operating out of the Roy Jones school of business. If Joe Calzaghe can fight Tocker Pudwill in Cardiff for 3 million, or come the the US to have Roy low-ball him...why step it up? Same w/ Dariusz in Germany.

The fact is, Roy has never cared about taking challenges, he only cared about making money. And he had a contract that guaranteed him 3 million dollars for a mandatory title defense. So he had zero incentive to ever step it up and challenge himself.

Roy needs to shut his mouth and win a meaningful fight. He just beat Trinidad...5 years too late and 10 pounds too high. And he fought his typical safety first, do a dance every time I throw a jab kind of fight.
He should try to avenge his loss to Glenn Johnson before he opens his mouth about being anywhere near the top 25 p4p.

Great post. Tarver pulled that same (what Jones did to Jirov) shit on Danny Green.
BigG
Is this the same Vassiliy Jirov that got the SHIT kicked out of him by James Toney?
Fitz
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 5 2008, 01:13 AM) [snapback]377434[/snapback]
Is this the same Vassiliy Jirov that got the SHIT kicked out of him by James Toney?

That result wasn't known at the time. You can't go around basically giving fighters wins in hindsight.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(pacco_diablo @ Feb 2 2008, 01:32 PM) [snapback]377210[/snapback]
The best thing about opinions is that no one is right and no one is wrong. We can give reasons until the sun comes up to back up our opinions, but the fact remains, they are still opinions. In my opinion, RJJ is getting comfortable with his weight adjustment back to the lower classes and despite not being as crisp or as fast as he used to be, he still has what it takes to beat anyone on his list. i think Calzaghe gives him the most trouble and he seems to want this fight the most. The way he was talking, he sounded as if he was daring Pavlik or Taylor to come up in weight. Neither will happen, nor will DLH, but Calzaghe is a lock, IMO. Thats if he can get by Hopkins. I'm still not so sure that Hopkins will fight Roy, not out of fear, but out of dislike.

This makes more sense than all the other threads combined. Good job. The reason Roy is calling out fighters in lesser weight class is because that is where the money is. If Roy is going to take a major fight he wants paid for it. I cant blame him.

Boxingjunkie
The Boxing Fan
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 2 2008, 12:20 AM) [snapback]377184[/snapback]
I find it hilarious that EVERY guy Jones talks about fighting is below 175. Well, I guess Hopkins is an exception for one fight anyway.

Maybe because there aren't any fights above 175 worth taking. No money except at lower weights.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(The Boxing Fan @ Feb 4 2008, 09:05 PM) [snapback]377463[/snapback]
Maybe because there aren't any fights above 175 worth taking. No money except at lower weights.

What it shows is that Roid is all about the money & not the legacy which is why he has never attempted to avenge any of his legitimate losses. No one with a single brain cell thinks he tried to do anything more than survive against Tarter in their epic third farce.
imperial
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 4 2008, 05:15 PM) [snapback]377468[/snapback]
What it shows is that Roid is all about the money & not the legacy which is why he has never attempted to avenge any of his legitimate losses. No one with a single brain cell thinks he tried to do anything more than survive against Tarter in their epic third farce.

Sine when did Roy need money ??
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 3 2008, 01:49 PM) [snapback]377366[/snapback]
What the hell do you base Pavlik not having a good chin on?

Off the fact he looked like a complete jackass with legs made of jello within the first rounds of the first Taylor fight. His chin is definately in question,.....Or did you not see that fight?.....

I will tell you this, if he doesnt come to fight and Taylor does...it will be short night for my boy pavlik...
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(imperial @ Feb 4 2008, 05:34 PM) [snapback]377470[/snapback]
Sine when did Roy need money ??

since his album flopped
imperial
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Feb 4 2008, 05:54 PM) [snapback]377473[/snapback]
since his album flopped

True true I must of forgot !
BoxingStill#1
biggrin.gif lol....
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(The Boxing Fan @ Feb 4 2008, 04:05 PM) [snapback]377463[/snapback]

How about fights AT 175? Were you unaware that there are fights available for Jones actually AT his current natural weight class? Do the HAVE to be above or below that?

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Feb 4 2008, 05:53 PM) [snapback]377472[/snapback]
Off the fact he looked like a complete jackass with legs made of jello within the first rounds of the first Taylor fight. His chin is definately in question,.....Or did you not see that fight?.....

Oh so since Pavlik was hurt by a guy that not only can punch but has very fast hands for a middleweight all of a sudden Pavlik has a bad chin?

Unreal.

Fitz
It probably looks bad on Pavlik considering he couldn't put a hurt Hopkins (don't blame him), Wright (don't blame him), Ouma and Spinks. Not saying Pavlik has a china chin, may have been just good shot, but after seeing him get hurt by JT and him not being able to hurt Ouma or Spinks, I don't think Pavlik has a chin of granite either, but I won't call him a china chin just yet.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Feb 4 2008, 05:53 PM) [snapback]377472[/snapback]
I will tell you this, if he doesnt come to fight and Taylor does...it will be short night for my boy pavlik...

Anybody can be hurt. So Pavlik got hurt and dropped, he got up and weathered the storm and showed true toughness. Kelly also took Miranda's bombs and never blinked. Maybe YOU should watch the fight, Taylor is the one with the questionable chin. I remember him going down and making no effort to get up. So if Pavlik looked like a "complete jackass", what did Taylor look like slumped over in the corner KO'd?
BigG
Well, Kelly was down against McCart, Zuinga, and Taylor. I don't think his chin is granite ala Baldomir but it isn't glass. That's why I cant count Jermain out in the rematch. We'll see though. If Jermain doesn't catch him with something big, I expect Pavlik to just walk him down and stop him again.
PR316
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 5 2008, 02:50 AM) [snapback]377497[/snapback]
It probably looks bad on Pavlik considering he couldn't put a hurt Hopkins (don't blame him), Wright (don't blame him), Ouma and Spinks. Not saying Pavlik has a china chin, may have been just good shot, but after seeing him get hurt by JT and him not being able to hurt Ouma or Spinks, I don't think Pavlik has a chin of granite either, but I won't call him a china chin just yet.

At the same time, Taylor showed a real lack of confidence in letting his hands ago against Ouma and Spinks. Maybe it was the awkward styles, but I felt he was overly defensive against two small, lighter hitters with suspect chins.
kyusuke
Dude....guys.....am I the only one who saw a frail and old Jones against a jacked up slow version of what was once a fighter named Tito (now its just Trinidad)? C'mon....I think Jones's legs are COMPLETELEY shot...his reflexes are doo doo.....he still can't take a shot except if they hit him on the body......he backs up against the ropes inviting a walloping trying to land some lame ass slow counters that rarely find their mark.......Jones is done. Everyone is riding Jones's nut sack cuz he beat the fighter previously known as Tito.....c'mon man.....if anything I think Roy should stay fighting has beens.....I bet Vargas would come out and fight Jones at 170......there'd be a fight I give Jones a shot and could probably generate some cash. Both those fools got delusional ass fans that think their fighters still "got it". I think Roy gets mopped by anyone with decent punching power, a decent workrate and decent boxing skills.....basicaly everyone on the lists mentioned. Roy gets dropped by anyone who can let their hands go long enough to put it on him. This version of Roy is even worse than the other two that got KTFO'd. What does that tell you? Super Middle to Light Heavy.....Jones gets dropped. Middle....I give him a big man's chance. Peace out.
buford54
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 4 2008, 09:13 AM) [snapback]377434[/snapback]

Yes...about 2 years after Roy ran away from Jirov like the woman that he is.
Obviously you really liked the logic that existed during Roy's prime, which was "Well, Roy would beat everyone anyway, so he doesn't have to fight anyone."

Yes, Jirov later lost to Toney (who had lost to Roy), but he fought Tarver, who lost to Jirov in the Olympic semi-finals.

Also, styles make fights, and Toney has the style to beat people like Jirov. Toney lays on the ropes, slips punches and counters.
Did you see what happened to Roy when he tried to lay on the ropes against Glenn Johnson, who has a similar style to Jirov?
I honestly think that Jirov may have ruined Roy a lot sooner than Tarver and Johnson did.

PR316
NO WAY.... Jirov couldn't even beat an old James Toney!!... How in the hell was he gonna beat Roy???... rolleyes.gif

Oh my goodness I gotta leave for now... This is killing me!!.. lol..
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(PR316 @ Feb 5 2008, 03:46 PM) [snapback]377554[/snapback]
NO WAY.... Jirov couldn't even beat an old James Toney!!... How in the hell was he gonna beat Roy???... rolleyes.gif

I actually think that old James Toney from 2003 was a lot more dangerous than old Roy Jones from that same year. The fact that Jirov lost to that version of James does not in my eyes automatically mean he would have lost to that version of Roy.
BigG
Yes, Jirov later lost to Toney (who had lost to Roy), but he fought Tarver, who lost to Jirov in the Olympic semi-finals.

Also, styles make fights, and Toney has the style to beat people like Jirov. Toney lays on the ropes, slips punches and counters.
Did you see what happened to Roy when he tried to lay on the ropes against Glenn Johnson, who has a similar style to Jirov?
I honestly think that Jirov may have ruined Roy a lot sooner than Tarver and Johnson did.

He could have got Roy on the ropes or he could have took an asswhooping from Jones in the middle of the ring.

Mohammad Abduallauev beat Miguel Cotto in the olympics, Cotto made him quit in the pros. Tyrell Biggs beat Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson, please see what happened in the pros. It shows that Jirov has skills if he was able to beat Tarver but just because he beat Tarver there doesn't mean he could do it in the pros. The pros are fought without headgear, smaller glvoes, and it's scored differently.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 5 2008, 02:44 AM) [snapback]377493[/snapback]
How about fights AT 175? Were you unaware that there are fights available for Jones actually AT his current natural weight class? Do the HAVE to be above or below that?

That ain't gonna happen. ROID knows he cannot hang with the elite of his divison & will beaten like one of Michael Vick's dogs.

ROID has always been suspect in making fights & has always always taken the path of least resistance which is why he chose the weakest heavyweight beltholder rather than the true champion of the time.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 5 2008, 04:41 PM) [snapback]377558[/snapback]
That ain't gonna happen. ROID knows he cannot hang with the elite of his divison & will beaten like one of Michael Vick's dogs.

That was my entire point.

QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 5 2008, 04:41 PM) [snapback]377558[/snapback]
ROID has always been suspect in making fights & has always always taken the path of least resistance which is why he chose the weakest heavyweight beltholder rather than the true champion of the time.

Do you really believe that Jones should have taken on Lewis for his FIRST fight at heavyweight? A 193 pound guy against a 250 pound guy? Come on now.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 6 2008, 12:49 AM) [snapback]377571[/snapback]
Do you really believe that Jones should have taken on Lewis for his FIRST fight at heavyweight? A 193 pound guy against a 250 pound guy? Come on now.

Yes I do.

He "claimed" he wanted to be heavyweight champion & then demanded $50M to fight Lewis knowing he would never get that kind of money. Jack Dempsey was 190 when he fought a 250lb Willard who was the champion at the time. What is your point? That Jones is a total & utter fraud? if so I agree wholeheartedly with you.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 5 2008, 08:17 PM) [snapback]377574[/snapback]
Yes I do.

He "claimed" he wanted to be heavyweight champion & then demanded $50M to fight Lewis knowing he would never get that kind of money. Jack Dempsey was 190 when he fought a 250lb Willard who was the champion at the time. What is your point? That Jones is a total & utter fraud? if so I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Well you're nuts. And your comparison is shit. Dempsey was in his young 20's and Willard in his late 30's when they fought, pretty big difference when you're talking a prime fighter verses a past prime guy. And even with your shit example you had to dig back nearly 100 years and failed. Another thing, Dempsey didn't start his career as a middleweight either so your reference is completely obsolete.

Bottom line is that it's crazy to expect a fighter that starts his career at 160 and wins titles at 160/168/175 to skip Cruiser and fight the best heavyweight in the world that weighs 250 pounds that is still basically in his prime.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.