Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best horror film in recent times...
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
BigG
Exorcism of Emilly Rose!

A few nights ago I saw it for the first time since it's release and it still freaked me out. I liked this better than all the other exorcist movies...even the original.

TheWhiteBuffalo
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 4 2008, 11:36 PM) [snapback]377513[/snapback]
Exorcism of Emilly Rose!

A few nights ago I saw it for the first time since it's release and it still freaked me out. I liked this better than all the other exorcist movies...even the original.

biggeorge89....you have lost your mind this time! No way does Emily Rose compare against the original Exorcist. Not even close!

I am a huge Horror movie buff (I have around 2,500 horror DVD's) and I must say that the "Hills Have Eyes" remake was awesome. The suspense value makes that movie a great one. Horror movies get a bad rap these days. With so many trash movies flooding the market (straight to DVD) alot of people are bummed out on them. Not to mention the recent advent of Horror movies blended with comedy....can we say STUPID?

Rule Number One- NEVER rent or buy anything from Lions Gate Entertainment. Total trash films with excellent cover art.

I am a fan of B-rate (Low Budget) Horror movies because I am a firm believer that big money doesn't equal a great movie. I have been watching a ton of B-rate movies lately that are pretty darn good (Bad Reputation, We All Scream For Ice Cream, White Noise 2, Splatter Beach, etc).

I just heard a few days ago that they are making a new "Nightmare on Elm Street" movie. Pretty cool to see the old flicks making a comeback.

BigG
biggeorge89....you have lost your mind this time! No way does Emily Rose compare against the original Exorcist. Not even close!

LOL! I watched both...no doubt that the original Exorcist was creepy. But the fact that Emily Rose was based on actually events gave it the edge to me. But thats just my personal opinion.
BGv2.0
I like ER.....but it don't touch Exorcist 1 or 3....

For me....although this is not very "recent"....I still have to give MAJOR props to Session 9!
BigJuicyHog
To me, the Hills Have Eyes remakes was one of the worst in recent memory. Saw 4 was also very convoluted....I dont think they knew what they were doing. Hostel was shit. My all time favorite is the Thing. That is a high suspense horror movie. I would recommend it for anybody who hasnt seen it.
ElectricTwinkie
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Scary stuff... gives me chills just typing.
BrutalBodyShots
I thought the Hills Have Eyes was pretty shitty.

I have not seen Emily Rose but I find it hard to believe it could beat the original Exorcist.

BigG
Brutal, I advice you to see it. alot of recent horror movies have been shitty, Exorcism of Emily Rose was a breathe of fresh air. I don't know if it beats the original Exorcist (not many movies do) but I personally liked it more.

It's definitely a movie worth checking out at least.
rusty_trombone
Point Break!
Titlebelt
I would have to rate "The Grudge" as my all time scariest, followed by "The Exorcist" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street" (original).
Fitz
I have liked a few horror movies, but overall, I find most of them crap (mainly the new ones). Half the time they try making the most disturbing scenes, but fail to make anything else about them good.
They are usually very simple type of movies.
BigG
Thats a reason I dont care for much Zombie flicks anymore. They try to make every scene gory and violent as possible but fail to add any suspense.

Did anyone really like the Resident Evil movies? I hated them. Playing the game itself was scarier than the movies.
Fitz
When I picture horror movies at the theaters. I picture a chubby guy in his mid 30's and a pony tail (kind of like comic book guy). Then have a dumbass laugh (like butthead) and be like "that's cool, he cut his head off with an axe".
BigG
LOL...yup. that isn't horror anymore though.

And you just made me remember the GREATEST cartoon of all time. Beavis & Butthead was the shit! thumbsup_anim.gif
Fitz
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 6 2008, 01:47 PM) [snapback]377587[/snapback]
LOL...yup. that isn't horror anymore though.

And you just made me remember the GREATEST cartoon of all time. Beavis & Butthead was the shit! thumbsup_anim.gif

Yeah, I used to love Beavis & Butthead and I'm not sure if that was the case in America, but here in Australia, I thought it was severely underrated. I suppose that may come down to that the show was showed a lot down here at about 1997-2000. It was only shown on cable and back then, not everyone had cable like most people do now days. I have always loved that show, and I believe was one of the first animations that was crude, and probably made way for some of the shows we have today.
Bill The Butcher
Some of the most recent horror films that I liked are Shaun of the Dead(More of a comedy), Dawn of the Dead (Remake), and 28 Days Later.

But my all time favorites are The Shining, American Werewolf In London, Evil Dead 2, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre!

Fitz
QUOTE(Bill The Butcher @ Feb 6 2008, 03:48 PM) [snapback]377593[/snapback]
Shaun of the Dead(More of a comedy)

That's definitely a comedy. I wouldn't even call it a horror. Good movie though, I liked it.
TheWhiteBuffalo
I just got done watching a horror movie called "Storm Warning". It is a Blockbuster exclusive title and is an awesome movie! It is an Australian film and well worth watching. Check it out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800367/
Don Flamenco
"The Eye" original version FTMFW!

Not really horror, more like a morbid story gone even wronger but "Old Boy" is pretty damn good too if you like reading subtitles.
Mean Mister Mustard
I've never seen these movies but from what people say they are very scary, if not creepy.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0080516/ The Cahngeling starring Goerge C. Scott

And this British TV movie http://imdb.com/title/tt0098672/ The Woman in Black, which is supposed to be shit scary.
streetlion1
Any of the SAW movies....Jeepers Creepers was funny.
stateofthegame
I saw that they were going to make another Nightmare as well. They said the were because they are also going to remake Friday the 13th. From what I read the remake is suppose to cover parts 1-4 in a single version.

I have Emily Rose, but have never watched it. I have had the DVD for over a year, maybe I will check it out later.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Titlebelt @ Feb 5 2008, 09:03 PM) [snapback]377581[/snapback]
I would have to rate "The Grudge" as my all time scariest

Are you kidding me? That movie IMO was one of the worst of all time horror movies... I found it to be more of a comedy than a horror movie. Come on little kids meowing like cats and crap? LMAO.

BGv2.0
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Feb 11 2008, 10:26 PM) [snapback]378183[/snapback]
I saw that they were going to make another Nightmare as well. They said the were because they are also going to remake Friday the 13th. From what I read the remake is suppose to cover parts 1-4 in a single version.

I have Emily Rose, but have never watched it. I have had the DVD for over a year, maybe I will check it out later.

I heard about the re-make....but I did no0t hear that aspect. I don't know...that's going to be pretty tricky, that is a lot of info to squeeze into 2 hours or so. You have Jason's deranged mother.....Jason's back story....the alter in the woods with a younger jason...and then the introduction of Tommy Jarvis and his first confrontation with Jason.

That's an awful lot of ground to cover in one film....I mean this is the same team that did the first Chainsaw re-make and the re-make for Hills Have Eyes....so if anybody can pull it off....it's these folks.

Titlebelt
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 12 2008, 12:10 AM) [snapback]378201[/snapback]
Are you kidding me? That movie IMO was one of the worst of all time horror movies... I found it to be more of a comedy than a horror movie. Come on little kids meowing like cats and crap? LMAO.

Why would I be kidding anyone? I posted it didn't I? Yeah, scariest movie I've seen.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(Titlebelt @ Feb 12 2008, 05:19 AM) [snapback]378238[/snapback]
Why would I be kidding anyone? I posted it didn't I? Yeah, scariest movie I've seen.

That is WEAK dude! I went to that pile and the ONLY people scared were little teenage chicks and the dumb slut I had with me, one of the few times I ever actually tried to get my money back after the movie.

I never understood the whole scared of a little jap kid with a cat meow....BUT...even on the part where she is all up in the dude's face......the lower half of her jaw is missing....what's to be scared of? Would she scrape you to death with her top overbite only?

You need to check out some REAL horror....Session 9, Frailty.
Titlebelt
Here we go again. Listen dude, it's the scariest movie I've seen. Wow, you have actually seen movies which you thought were scarier? Ok. It's great everyone has their own opinion. I posted it's the scariest I have seen. Not you, not brutal. Me.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(Titlebelt @ Feb 13 2008, 08:41 AM) [snapback]378401[/snapback]
Here we go again. Listen dude, it's the scariest movie I've seen. Wow, you have actually seen movies which you thought were scarier? Ok. It's great everyone has their own opinion. I posted it's the scariest I have seen. Not you, not brutal. Me.

ok ok...RELAX....all I'm saying is that's not something most guys would own up to. It's like saying you jam to Celene Deon or somewhere deep inside you find Brad Pitt Attractive....it's just something most guys would keep hidden from the world, due to the shame.

But...you are comfortable in your Horrorhood....in addmitting openly that this film scared you.
ElectricTwinkie
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Feb 13 2008, 12:33 PM) [snapback]378428[/snapback]
ok ok...RELAX....all I'm saying is that's not something most guys would own up to. It's like saying you jam to Celene Deon or somewhere deep inside you find Brad Pitt Attractive....it's just something most guys would keep hidden from the world, due to the shame.

But...you are comfortable in your Horrorhood....in addmitting openly that this film scared you.

So do you jam to Celene Deon and/or find Brad Pitt attractive? It's ok, you can be honest, you're amoung complete strangers. We promise not to laugh. I, myself, have a collection of porcelin cats...
BGv2.0
QUOTE(ElectricTwinkie @ Feb 13 2008, 03:24 PM) [snapback]378441[/snapback]
So do you jam to Celene Deon and/or find Brad Pitt attractive? It's ok, you can be honest, you're amoung complete strangers. We promise not to laugh. I, myself, have a collection of porcelin cats...

I'm not that comfortable discussing this with people....only my dog knows for sure....and he's never going to tell.
streetlion1
Freddy V.S. Jason.....now that was the shit!!!
The CEO
You must be young, streetlion....Freddy vs. Jason...lol

This is a little off topic...but you know what was kinda scary?...that F.E.A.R. game for PC.
hardhead
Killer Clowns from Outer Space.... thumbsup_anim.gif
hardhead
I'm not big on horror films but when I was a kid Jason movies scared the LIVING SHIT out of me....although Freddy was pretty scary shit(Exorcist, It, were pretty creepy), Jason even though it seems pretty basic and simple just had me scared shitless, maybe it was the music, CHI CHI AH AH...... thumbsup_anim.gif
ElectricTwinkie
QUOTE(hardhead @ Feb 15 2008, 12:45 AM) [snapback]378656[/snapback]
Killer Clowns from Outer Space.... thumbsup_anim.gif

I never understood the cotten candy...
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Feb 14 2008, 07:41 PM) [snapback]378601[/snapback]
This is a little off topic...but you know what was kinda scary?...that F.E.A.R. game for PC.

LOL I thought the same thing when I played it. It's basically a cross between a FPS and "The Ring."

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Titlebelt @ Feb 12 2008, 04:19 AM) [snapback]378238[/snapback]

I still think he's joking.

BrutalBodyShots
I finally watched Frailty last night, I thought it was pretty good! I wouldn't really classify it as "horror" so much.

streetlion1
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Feb 14 2008, 06:41 PM) [snapback]378601[/snapback]
You must be young, streetlion....Freddy vs. Jason...lol

Well 25 so yeah maybe...I wasnt meaning scary-wise I just like the way it was done. Nah the movies that freaked me out when I was younger were Candyman and chainsaw massacre. The best horror movie I've seen lately was 30 Days of Night! that was a good one.
Southeastpaw
Any1 remember "Student Bodies"? Now that is worth checkin out.

I am usually alone on this one, but The Blair Witch Project was one of the scariest movies I have ever seen, and I've seen a bunch. Different things scare different people and this was the kind of movie that got to me. Everytime I watch it I get that chill factor feeling. Especially the end scene at the house.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Feb 19 2008, 03:31 PM) [snapback]379324[/snapback]
but The Blair Witch Project was one of the scariest movies I have ever seen,

You need to check out The Blair Thumb!

100x better than the The Blair Witch Project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.