Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on Instant Replay?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Good idea, so long as it is not overused,

My only concern would be master scoresheets getting messed up if they are going to change slips to knockdowns and knockdowns to slips. How will that effect the judging and the confidence of the officials involved? But at least it attempts to correct a wrong. Now my understanding is that the corner chief second would be able to request a review of a round during which the call in question is made. The commission could let the original decision stand, overturn it after review at the fight, or wait till a later time. (At least that was the rule in New Jersey.)

Start slow and see what happens with anything new. I also like the idea of only 1 challenge per corner per fight, so that the system is not abused. Make your "challenge" count and mean something for an overtly wrong call. But it's only as good as the people applying it. Let's see Chavez Jr. get a decision overturned on a questionable ruling in Mexico! How well can fairness and neutrality come about through experimenting with the new rule? In order to be in affect in the USA, it would have to be approved by a majority vote of the Association of Boxing Commissions. We have to wait and see what happens in Mexico before we even THINK about a more global change.

At least this is 100 times better than that Open Scoring shit that the WBC tried to bring back. It BOMBED in the USA and justifiably so.

Jack
salvador
Is it only going to be used for knockdowns vs slips or will low blows and other fouls be reviewable? Also, will a corner be able to stop a fight to review a call or even just give their fighter a few more seconds to rest between rounds? Or is this just something to be used after the fight to make sure the scorecards are right?
BrutalBodyShots
I don't understand how this system can work.

Take a low blow for example. At what point does the call get questioned? Immediately or following the round? I can't see a "time out" being called in the middle of a round because a corner wants to question a low blow call, so I would think it would be after the round. However, that takes away the entire point. For example if the shot really was a BAD low blow that should have allowed the fighter time to recover but the ref called it a legal shot, if they review it between rounds and say yes indeed it was illegal, too much time has passed to allow the fighter that was fouled to get any meaningful recovery time. The system just doesn't make sense in that regard.

Jack 1000
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 8 2008, 08:44 AM) [snapback]377760[/snapback]
I don't understand how this system can work.

Take a low blow for example. At what point does the call get questioned? Immediately or following the round? I can't see a "time out" being called in the middle of a round because a corner wants to question a low blow call, so I would think it would be after the round. However, that takes away the entire point. For example if the shot really was a BAD low blow that should have allowed the fighter time to recover but the ref called it a legal shot, if they review it between rounds and say yes indeed it was illegal, too much time has passed to allow the fighter that was fouled to get any meaningful recovery time. The system just doesn't make sense in that regard.

That's a good point Brutal,

In New Jersey they made it an optional rule. BTW since Larry Hazzrd's outsting, I can not recall where they have used it. Can't recall even a fight when it was used, but on the books they said that:

1.) It would be up to the promoter to supply the video equipment because Hazzard said that the state Control Board did not have the money to make it universally available.

2) The call would only be able to be questioned by the chief second following the round in which the incident took place. The commission could:

a.) Choose to let the original call stand.

b.) Overturn the original call.

c.) Determine that more time after the fight concludes is needed for a later review.

In New Jersey, they could take up to 3 minutes between rounds to review a challenged call. This I always believed was/is too much time. This is similar rto California which had a rule that allowed the clock to be stopped when the doctor enters the ring between rounds to examine the fighter, not sure if that is still in effect.

A critical issue is how much time to give for a "review" if you have this rule, you want to be careful that it doesn't alter the natural flow of the fight too much. I can appreciate what is being tried to insure more fair calls. But instant replay in boxing would need further study to see how it will be applied as well as any positive or negative effects that it will have.

Jack
Jack 1000
Go to this link and scroll down to the WBC banner, you will see how the use of instant replay came about, and was used last December:

http://www.411mania.com/sports/other_sport...day-Edition.htm

Jack
Fitz
They are taking a leaf out of the tennis (Australian Open anyways). I think they will use it mainly for knockdowns that may be slips and punches that are rules head buts and vice versa. It will probably be the difference between a TKO and a NC. I couldn't really see it being used that often for low blows. First off, a fighter is usually warned multiple times for low blows. After at least one or two warnings, he will try to pick his punches up. Once a point is taken off, the referee isn't usually wrong. Or at least if it's a border line shot, chances are the 2 previous ones probably weren't. If there is no warning and a point taken off straight away. It's usually blatant and no reason to go to a replay.
gods son
its all experimental to the sport, trying and adding new elements , i like it but i hope it doesnt get out of hand..
i prefer how it is already..the referee is the call in the match, and the judges can mark down whatever they see during the course of the 12 rounds!

So..will we ever see a 13th round???
I thought that was coming into play or was it just a proposal?

Romulus9
I think the most important reason for replay is judgments on cuts (accidental clash of heads or caused by a punch). That one call can affect the entire ending of a fight, be it technical draw or TKO. I don't like the idea of going back and looking at knockdowns and all that. Tread lightly.
AussieLad
It all depends upon how its implimented. I think the ref should signal when he wants an instant replay to determine a slip/knockdown, and then let the action continue, with the result of the replay given to him and the judges immediately at the end of the round.

You cant break the flow of a fight to watch the replay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.