Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on tonights fights...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Southeastpaw
I am looking forward to seeing Paul defend his title tonight and in impressive fashion. We all know that El Indio is no slump by any means. It is nice to see Paul defending against someone legit. Tonight is just going to be a testament of what is to come in the division for Paul. He is looking to unify and dominate the division which I believe he will do.
BigG
It's an interesting fight. P-Will by decision or late stoppage after a rough start.
hardhead
I'd also like to see how he handles being the champion and if he's taking Quintana lightly, I also would like to see how he deals with another fighter who is a pretty good boxer/accurate sharp puncher, I think Williams is going to cruise to a UD by mixing it up with boxing and trading enough to keep Quintana honest. I really like Williams and think he is one of the best young talents in boxing, I just hope that his handlers promote him more and the boxing world gives him his due should he continue winning.
Romulus9
This should be a fun night. I don't think it's going to be easy for Berto OR Williams but I think both win. What has really surprised me is seeing the odds on Williams jump to 8-1. Quintana is a live dog tonight IMO. As long as PW stays focused, and stops dropping that hand down below his waist for no good reason, he's going to win a lot of fights for a long time. Th first few rounds will tell the story. If Quintana gets off to a good start, it could get fun.
salvador
I'm just glad Williams is getting back in the ring with a live guy.

Obviously neither Cotto nor Floyd will ever fight Williams, which is extraordinarily frustrating. As much as I'd like to see Williams stay at 147 just to shame those guys, maybe it's time for him to move up and fight Forrest.
Southeastpaw
I am just happy to see Paul getting the recognition he deserves even on this board. The man isn't flashy, but he has IT!
xxxxxx
Paul Williams is a beast at 147.He's the only guy at 147 that I'd favor against PBF. Paul could prolly be the best at 154 also and compete with the best at 160 in my opinion.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Feb 9 2008, 01:25 PM) [snapback]377841[/snapback]
I am looking forward to seeing Paul defend his title tonight and in impressive fashion. We all know that El Indio is no slump by any means. It is nice to see Paul defending against someone legit. Tonight is just going to be a testament of what is to come in the division for Paul. He is looking to unify and dominate the division which I believe he will do.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Fitz
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Feb 10 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]377896[/snapback]
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Can you show me where you picked Quintanna? Yep, didn't think so.
hardhead
I never understood why people have to gloat SO much about how much they were right and how this guy was a fraud/overrated this and that, I mean we all make predictions and believe in certain fighters more then others and we're all going to be wrong at some point but I try to appreciate all of the fighters and fights as much as possible regardless of outcome or who was on who's nuts more...
Southeastpaw
Like I said, Paul might lose. sad.gif Just playin.

Rough night for Paul. Rough night for me being a big fan as well. I was not expecting this type of fight in the least. This fight definitely speaks volumes about Cotto's place in the division as well as the world of boxing. Quintana did a great job with his movement. That movement and counterpunching dropped Paul's output less than half than normal. I was getting so frustrated, but what can you do. I gotta hand it to Quintana. Not many were giving him a chance and he won the fight deservingly. I am still a huge Williams fan and he will still give anyone a hard time. I feel bad for him. He is such a likeable guy and all. But we will have to see how he bounces back.

BigG
I think we all underestimated Quintana's skills too. He quit in the Cotto fight, but he was getting bitchslapped bad, and he wanted no more.

But he schooled Joel Julio, who was a really hot prospect at the time.

I must say that I'm pretty shocked he won....it's a pretty big upset.....

And for Williams, this is just a setback. He should be back. But I doubt he ever beats Floyd and Cotto is the truth.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 10 2008, 01:15 AM) [snapback]377924[/snapback]
The thing is, that guy wasn't even right. He never made any predictions on that fight. I have more respect for people like Southeast. At least he supported his fighter and what he was saying was always pretty realistic. I have seen him like myself acknowledge that Williams is a little sloppy and crude at times, but he is a freak physically and from the few fights I had seen, he used his height well. There was nothing wrong with picking Williams over Quintanna, in fact I didn't see anyone pick Quintanna, not even that guy that showed up with the smilies (not sure if he was trying to be an expert or the smilies were equivalent to a "I told you so"). What was so unbelievable about believing that Williams could be a major force at 147? After all, none of the other big welters wanted a part of him.
I haven't even seen the fight yet so I can't comment totally on it yet. But from what I read, he didn't get knocked out, embarassed or anything that may really hurt him mentally from here on. It could be just a set back. A lot fighters experience them, and on the bright side, youth is on Paul Williams side. He may learn from this.

Thanks Fitz. It was a very close fight. Lederman actually had Williams winning the fight by a point and all the cards were close. But I believe the right man got the decision. For Quintana to drop Williams workrate the way he did was impressive. His movement was aggrivating me, but only because I was rooting for my guy and wanted Carlos to stay still long enough for Paul to get off, whcih he did occasionally. But Quintana landed the cleaner blows more frequntly and made Paul look bad. I had forgotten too soon how Quintana embarrassed Julio and thought that if Cotto could stop Quintana, Williams certainly could as well. But then again you have to look at the styles involved. Williams was getting caught against Mitchell, another slick southpaw similair to Quintana. But Quintana's movement and counterpunching is what got him the win.

I hope that Paul bounces back from this and learns from what happened tonight. I believe that Paul should study up on some of the fundamentals and go from there. He already has a great chin, workrate, and size. Carlos was able to expose his deficiencies some tonight that most of us thought could not be done. But Williams certainly doesn't deserve to be harped on because of it. He is a cool, humble kinda guy that comes to fight.
hardhead
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Feb 10 2008, 06:17 AM) [snapback]377926[/snapback]

Rough night for Paul. Rough night for me being a big fan as well. I was not expecting this type of fight in the least. This fight definitely speaks volumes about Cotto's place in the division as well as the world of boxing. Quintana did a great job with his movement. That movement and counterpunching dropped Paul's output less than half than normal. I was getting so frustrated, but what can you do. I gotta hand it to Quintana. Not many were giving him a chance and he won the fight deservingly. I am still a huge Williams fan and he will still give anyone a hard time. I feel bad for him. He is such a likeable guy and all. But we will have to see how he bounces back.

Absolutely man, Williams is a likable guy and he fought very hard throughout and never stopped trying, the biggest thing that was evident like you said was the movement of Quintana and Williams' defense/getting caught with those big lefts and rights(his chin was tested because he took some very flush shots and never seemed hurt one time).
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 10 2008, 12:35 AM) [snapback]377915[/snapback]
Can you show me where you picked Quintanna? Yep, didn't think so.

Wow. Can you show me where I ever said that he would win??? Yep, didn't think so. I have just always stated numerous times PW is overrated. Learn to spell the fighters name too Mr. know it all of the fighthype messageboard. Big deal, so I put a bunch of LOL's. I was just doing it to be funny, but too many insensitive people get there feelings hurt by me giving South a hard time. The ONLY reason I did it was because in the past South has hyped his boy up sooo much(and others), and MANY times I have tried to explain he has not really proven himself, so how can so many people put him on such a high peddlestool? People want to hype fighters way too early without truly proven themselves. So what if I gloated a little, it was nice to see PW get exposed. I have been saying all along PW was overrated, go check if you like. Some of you guys are relentless calling Cintron a "vagina", "cry-baby", or all the other names you use, I put up some LOL's to bust somebody's chops and everyone wants to jump down my throat. Whatever. I am sure nobody on this board has ever gave anyone a hard time before for making a bad prediction or something like that. I am so sorry for anyone I offended and truly apologize for putting all those LOL's up. I guess Cintron isn't the only one with a vagina laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 10 2008, 02:48 AM) [snapback]377939[/snapback]
Thanks for acknowledging me. And who might you be?

Someone who just typed there last post. Later.
JD
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Feb 10 2008, 05:25 AM) [snapback]377950[/snapback]
Someone who just typed there last post. Later.

Free tip #1

If you are going to mock someone for spelling "Quintana", Q-U-I-N-T-A-N-N-A in what is could be a simple type-o, you better be pretty good at spelling and grammar yourself.

A type-o is one thing, not knowing the difference between "there" and "their" is an entirely different scenario that is much more embarrassing.
Douchebag
Honestly, I'm just Happy because the outcome of Quintana over Williams justifies that we should see Cotto-Mayweather in before 2009.
anthonyaccurate
Hey JD,

Its "typo", not "type-o"..... nono.gif

grammar police in effect!!
iron_mike
Here's more on critiquing someone's spelling and then making your own boo-boo: "so how can so many people put him on such a high peddlestool
BrutalBodyShots
No one has any place to "LOL" at people that picked Williams in this fight unless they picked Quintana, which to my knowledge no one did.

JD
QUOTE(anthonyaccurate @ Feb 10 2008, 10:56 AM) [snapback]377997[/snapback]
Hey JD,

Its "typo", not "type-o"..... nono.gif

grammar police in effect!!

Yeah it is...

Perhaps you were unable to read the entire thread.

The point I was making was, don't go railing on someone for typing "Quintanna" when you don't know the difference between "there" and "their", grammar police.
anthonyaccurate
Whoa,

First, I wasn't the original poster, if you READ THE THREAD as you said...

Secondly, it is TYPO, as in typographical ERRORS, not TYPE O...check ya dictionary

before you post, duke....

hardhead
edit
JD
QUOTE(anthonyaccurate @ Feb 10 2008, 04:35 PM) [snapback]378052[/snapback]
Whoa,

First, I wasn't the original poster, if you READ THE THREAD as you said...

Secondly, it is TYPO, as in typographical ERRORS, not TYPE O...check ya dictionary

before you post, duke....

Nowhere did I say that you were the original poster...why would you even feel the need to make that statement?

Perhaps you didn't understand my short post, which is possible, the spoken word is always more effective. Let me explain...

"Yeah it is"...that is what I responded to you with...

When you say it's "typo" not "type-o", and I say "yeah it is", that means I am agreeing with you. Yeah, it is "typo", I agree with you. It wasn't "yeah it is type-o, you're wrong"...get it?

What I did assert was that you probably did not read the thread if you were trying to peg me as the grammar police, being that my post was in response to someone who was acting as the grammar police (Quintanna VS Quintana, remember that?) and did not know the difference between "there" and "their".

While we're at it, it is "it's" not "its".
Elijah
I don't think there has been one mention of Berto in this thread, what's up with that?

Dude managed to break down and make a guy quit by the 6th round that had never been stopped before in 45 fights.

This guy is definitely one to keep an eye on.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Elijah @ Feb 11 2008, 12:51 PM) [snapback]378146[/snapback]
I don't think there has been one mention of Berto in this thread, what's up with that?

Dude managed to break down and make a guy quit by the 6th round that had never been stopped before in 45 fights.

This guy is definitely one to keep an eye on.

I'm not really sold on him yet. I would like to see him in there with Joshua Clottey or Luis Collazo to get a real assessment of his skill. I also see that he leaves himself open to the overhand right.
Mean Mister Mustard
I think Berto has proven that he is too physically gifted to be put in the ring with guys like the one he fought on saturday. I think he should fight Quintana next, the timing is perfect. Think about it, Berto has the handspeed and skills to ensure that he won't get outboxed like Julio or Williams, he hits hard and he has a good lightning fast right hand that would do wonders versus a southpaw. Plus I am not so sure that Quintana would not quit again if the going got rough.

But I'm sure that Berto's next fight is going to be against some old fighter or a small Jr Welter. I can see Ben Tackie or Sharmba Mitchell in his future. Why will his management pit him against these type of guys for the time being? Because today in boxing, if you are a prospect and you get wobbled or knocked down once, it is assumed that you have a glass chin until you prove it otherwise. This forces promoters, especially Lou Dibella, to protect the fighter to the brink that it looks like a kid with no immune system in a plastic bubble. Shame.
anthonyaccurate
ooops,

sorry JD thumbsup_anim.gif

btw, I was saying "grammar police in effect" because I (thought) I was
pointing out a mistake to you.
JD
QUOTE(anthonyaccurate @ Feb 11 2008, 05:42 PM) [snapback]378162[/snapback]
ooops,

sorry JD thumbsup_anim.gif

btw, I was saying "grammar police in effect" because I (thought) I was
pointing out a mistake to you.

All good.

I see that we generally did not understand each other AT ALL. LOL...
BigG
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Feb 10 2008, 06:17 AM) [snapback]377926[/snapback]

My man Zab has had some rough nights as well but I will never lose hope. He will soon be in P4P lists when he knocks out Sugar Shane thumbsup_anim.gif
WolfishPromistah
What I saw is that Williams is not as comfortable fighting soutpaws as he is in fighting orthodox opponents. He had a hard time with Quintana -- okay. [shrugs]
But I STILL SAY RIGHT NOW that Williams will beat Cotto, especially if this loss puts him in position to improving on his strengths already possessed. But what happened the other night is simply a styles thing. For Paul held back on Quintana, and got tagged more often, like in his fight against Mitchell, because he was fighting another well-skilled soutpaw; and from the very opening he wasn't throwing as much, indicating to me he was watching for movements in the opponent, taking his time wherein he would normally be more willing to shoot more shots all night. It's merely a matter of deficiency against another lefty, where as Cotto's more a come forward, orthodoxed type of guy. However, from what I've seen, Floyd would much more likely to totally adapt that "southside" attack to beat Paul better than Quintana right now, provided Paul does not massively improve on power and how he handles the southpaw style. And that's mostly because of Floyd's speed "with skill level" over anything else. Anyway, that's the main thing I get from last saturday's fight. But greatest of all benefit to Paul would be some improvement with sharpness and the great equalizer of power; so this is just a slight setback.
Douchebag
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Feb 13 2008, 10:18 AM) [snapback]378411[/snapback]
What I saw is that Williams is not as comfortable fighting soutpaws as he is in fighting orthodox opponents. He had a hard time with Quintana -- okay. [shrugs]
But I STILL SAY RIGHT NOW that Williams will beat Cotto, especially if this loss puts him in position to improving on his strengths already possessed. But what happened the other night is simply a styles thing. For Paul held back on Quintana, and got tagged more often, like in his fight against Mitchell, because he was fighting another well-skilled soutpaw; and from the very opening he wasn't throwing as much, indicating to me he was watching for movements in the opponent, taking his time wherein he would normally be more willing to shoot more shots all night. It's merely a matter of deficiency against another lefty, where as Cotto's more a come forward, orthodoxed type of guy. However, from what I've seen, Floyd would much more likely to totally adapt that "southside" attack to beat Paul better than Quintana right now, provided Paul does not massively improve on power and how he handles the southpaw style. And that's mostly because of Floyd's speed "with skill level" over anything else. Anyway, that's the main thing I get from last saturday's fight. But greatest of all benefit to Paul would be some improvement with sharpness and the great equalizer of power; so this is just a slight setback.

Cotto Punishes the Punisher!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.