Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayorga Vs. Cotto?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
Mayorga and his camp claims that this fight is all set up for July. Check out Fightnews.com
Big Slim Sweet
Maussa or Mayorga?

Neither one's getting the fight.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 12 2008, 06:13 PM) [snapback]378296[/snapback]
Why? I'm not going to take it seriously, until it's actually inked. But first off, I have my doubts about Mayorga even making 147. Secondly, I'm not going to deny that this would be a fun fight, but Cotto has many more priorities at 147. Obviously the fight everyone wants is with Mayweather which doesn't look like it going to happen anytime too soon. But there could be a rematch with Mosley, Margarito, Williams (not that this fight is going to happen), Clottey, or he could really try to get a leverage on the whole division in trying to unify in a rematch with Quintanna.
I don't think Cotto-Mayorga is a terrible fight as entertainment value goes, but it just seems like that Mayorga would be jumping the que at 147 and I feel Cotto could fight some other contenders at 147 before fighting Mayorga.
I don't even take this fight seriously just yet though.

Fitz
can you tell me how to edit the title. I mistyped Mayorga's name. Or if you can do it then i'd appreciate it
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 12 2008, 06:16 PM) [snapback]378300[/snapback]
Nope, I can't do it or either can you. Probably have to ask a mod.

Aight, Thanks anyways
dj necrogenic
This fight could be a possibility... Since Cintron, and Margarito look to be getting an exception, the winner of that fight will be obligated to fight Joshua Clottey next... I dont think Carlos Quintana is going to be looking for a rematch just quite yet. This could be a real possibility since none of the other belt holders seem to be interested just yet... Why not going after a fighter such as Mayorga who seemingly is an easy mark with definite name recognition. This could also put to rest Cotto's china chin theory. I'd say its a good fight to make from a promoter standpoint, and could even be placed on PPV
PR316
I don't think its a good fight for Cotto. Talk about a big step backwards. You go from beating Quintana, then Urkal, Judah, and then Mosley to fighting Gomez(Which is ok for a tune up), and then Mayorga???...... If so, horrible fight... Beating Mayorga does nothing for Cotto except increase his bank roll.
Elijah
"This could also put to rest Cotto's china chin theory."

Dude takes flush shots from Judah and Mosley and he's still thought to have a china chin?

Haha wow, pretty ridiculous. I guess he'll just never live down that shot to the temple.
hardhead
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 12 2008, 11:13 PM) [snapback]378296[/snapback]
Why? I'm not going to take it seriously, until it's actually inked. But first off, I have my doubts about Mayorga even making 147. Secondly, I'm not going to deny that this would be a fun fight, but Cotto has many more priorities at 147. Obviously the fight everyone wants is with Mayweather which doesn't look like it going to happen anytime too soon. But there could be a rematch with Mosley, Margarito, Williams (not that this fight is going to happen), Clottey, or he could really try to get a leverage on the whole division in trying to unify in a rematch with Quintanna.
I don't think Cotto-Mayorga is a terrible fight as entertainment value goes, but it just seems like that Mayorga would be jumping the que at 147 and I feel Cotto could fight some other contenders at 147 before fighting Mayorga.
I don't even take this fight seriously just yet though.

Exactly the way I feel, this fight is not relevant to the WW picture. Cotto has plenty of fighters to face in his division instead of fighting a guy like Mayorga. Sure it might be exciting but I'd rather see Cotto face challengers from the WW division first...
KOpower
I would actually pay for this fight. Someone is getting knocked out and it may be Cotto. There is no way this fight doesn't provide intense action. I wish Cotto was taking this fight instead of one with Gomez.
BrutalBodyShots
I wouldn't take this fight if I were Cotto and his people.

I mean Mayorga should be an easy win, but with Mayorga's style and unorthodox power it has the potential to be one of those upsets that you see every couple of years. Kind of like Mayorga-Forrest I.

I would fully expect Cotto to own Mayorga for just about every round before stopping Mayorga late - somewhat like Trinidad-Mayorga with Mayorga getting a few wild haymakers in here and there. However, we have not seen Cotto in there with a guy as sloppy and unorthodox as Mayorga, so while it seems like an easy "gimme" for Cotto at first Mayorga could get there with a lightning in a bottle shot.

I see Mayorga as basically ZERO reward with low-moderate risk. If it were the other way around and there was ZERO risk with low-moderate reward maybe I would think about taking the fight if I were in Cotto's corner.

If Cotto wins he beat a past prime sloppy brawler. If Cotto loses, he loses to a past prime sloppy brawler. Neither does anything for him.

D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 12 2008, 07:23 PM) [snapback]378317[/snapback]
On a side note. The claims Mayorga is making. Can we then rule out Mosley-Mayorga and pretty much pencil in Mosley-Judah?

Yeah, I think we can count on Mosley-Judah.
Off Topic, But am I the only one who thinks Zab can beat Paul Williams?
I mean with his quick hands and feet, and the southpaw stance???? Just a thought
KOpower
I think Zab could beat anyone at 147 except for Mayweather. Zab has amazing physical talent.
streetlion1
This fight wont happen...if it did...talk about an easy K.O. win for Cotto!! Cotto would definitly take a step backwards if this fight did happen...he doesnt even have to waste his time on Mayorga...after Gomez he should dispose of either Berto or Margarito.
Jack 1000
This sure is not um....Roy Jones decision making here! (Most money for least risk.) Mayorga on paper looks like a pushover, a stepping stone for the elite Cotto. But the RIGHT Mayorga can give Cotto a lot of problems. (Forrest I, or Trinidad) regardless of winning or losing. Mayorga looked good for Vargas and if he looks good for Cotto, he can create problems. No I don't think he can win, but at the top of his game, (and this means NOT folding like an accordion for Delahoya) he can provide some good stuff before losing. And if he were to shockingly beat Cotto...Holy shit! That would be bad for Cotto! Arum would have a stroke!

I hope they don't make this a PPV. It would be a fun HBO or Showtime fight for sure!

Jack
BigG
Cotto via brutal stoppage at roun 4 or 5...bodyshots.
Romulus9
Mayorga the club fighter gets punked again by someone with legit talent.

How long can he live off of knocking Vernon Forrest out and then beating a gunshy Forrest in the rematch? Since then, he's been made a bitch by Trinidad (off of one of his layoffs, mind you) and DLH. Did that win over Vargas really get anyone all riled up, screaming for a fight with Cotto? Come on.

Cotto by stoppage in the middle rounds... in absolutely brutal fashion. It'll make the DLH beating look mild.
BigG
No, Spinks beat him clearly....
BigG
laugh.gif

Hey Fitz, you still don't have the Quintana/Williams fight yet!? I had it my hard drive about 2 days ago. It feels good having a good ratio taunt.gif

Well, I havent seen that in about 2 years...but it was bascially Mayo chasing Cory around the ring and throwing more punches..but who was landing the cleaner ones? Cory. I believe there was some controversy in round 12 as well becasue Mayorga might have been robbed of a balance type knockdown (more balance but a KD nonetheless).

But I believe you will need to watch and score it for yourself. It was a good fight.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 13 2008, 03:42 AM) [snapback]378395[/snapback]
laugh.gif

Hey Fitz, you still don't have the Quintana/Williams fight yet!? I had it my hard drive about 2 days ago. It feels good having a good ratio laugh.gif tongue.gif

Well, I havent seen that in about 2 years...but it was bascially Mayo chasing Cory around the ring and throwing more punches..but who was landing the cleaner ones? Cory. I believe there was some controversy in round 12 as well becasue Mayorga might have been robbed of a balance type knockdown (more balance but a KD nonetheless).

But I believe you will need to watch and score it for yourself. It was a good fight.

I had Spinks way ahead off of cleaner punches. Mayorga missed way more than he landed. 8-4 Spinks or 116-110 (Tony Orlando deducted two points from Mayorga for fouls.) One was justified, the other was a borderline call.

Jack
Big Slim Sweet
I thought Mayorga got screwed somewhat in the fight with Spinks.

Way I remember it, Corey outboxed him clean for 8-9 rounds but started to tire badly down the stretch. Mayorga picked up his energy and intensity, and even though he wasn't very effective with his punches, had Spinks running around the ring - reeling almost at times - during the final few rounds of the fight. Cory flopped to the canvas on his own about 4-5 times in those final rounds, basically any time Mayorga got him in a corner and started throwing wild shots, as a strategy I thought to avoid getting legitimately knocked down by one of those shots.

The final cards were pretty close too I recall. Had one or two of those flops been ruled knockdowns, as they should have IMO, Mayorga would have won a decision. And had the ref warned Spinks about all the flipping and flopping he was doing instead of simply letting him get away with it time and again, as he should have IMO, Mayorga might have eventually landed one of those wild haymakers and scored a KO.
Douchebag
Fuck this fight. Cotto should just go out and try to unify the titles. I say start with the winner of Margarito-Cintron.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Feb 13 2008, 08:26 AM) [snapback]378418[/snapback]
Fuck this fight. Cotto should just go out and try to unify the titles. I say start with the winner of Margarito-Cintron.

IF Cintron is allowed to get an exception from the IBF to face Margarito, the winner of that fight is going to have to either face Joshua Clottey (who won his mandatory against Shamone Alvarez) or they'll have to vacate the belt
Douchebag
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Feb 13 2008, 12:41 PM) [snapback]378431[/snapback]
IF Cintron is allowed to get an exception from the IBF to face Margarito, the winner of that fight is going to have to either face Joshua Clottey (who won his mandatory against Shamone Alvarez) or they'll have to vacate the belt

Fuck it Quintana-Mosley is in talks he should go rematch one of them for the title.
basicjab
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 13 2008, 09:42 AM) [snapback]378395[/snapback]

This is total bologne, I expected better from you Big George. Cory was bleeding from nose and mouth by the end of the fight, had no legs and totally relied on ref to avoid being KOed. If it was not for the ref, no doubt Cory would have been KTFO.

The ref was horrible, should not have been so many points deducted from Mayo and he should have definitely deducted points or disqualified Cory for falling down intentional to rest every 20-30 seconds. That was a disgraceful showing, I was embarrassed as a boxing fan in the US.

Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 13 2008, 02:33 AM) [snapback]378390[/snapback]
No, Spinks beat him clearly....

Spinks ran like a bitch and the ref helped him get the decision. Mayorga deserves a rematch....
neophyte7
Regardless to how he finished Cory bagged nearly 9 rounds... END OF PHUCKING STORY--- what really needs to be questioned is MAYORGA BEING ALLOWED to make cash when he is washed up and horrible... ONLY GETTING money fights because he is a name LATINO/HISPANIC....

also, Judah, Corley, now Mayorga (guys who have been beaten and are clearly washed up)... how many rejects can Cotto fight ... After beating Mayorga people will laud him with how dominant he is LMAO----

Remember Judah had only a few rounds in a 1 year and a half when facing Cotto... Cotto fighting Mayorga is a trash fight - Mayorga is a clown
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.