Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MOSLEY-JUDAH SET FOR MAY 17TH
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
thehype
MOSLEY-JUDAH MAY 17TH!

Contrary to recent reports, sources close to the situation have just confirmed that three-time world champion Sugar Shane Mosley will indeed be facing former unidsputed welterweight champion Zab Judah on May 17th at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. The bout will take place on HBO pay-per-view.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content1945.html
Hodge
Both of these guys are coming off loses. I hope this isn't for pay-per-view.
dj necrogenic
And its.. Fighthype coming with the scoop

Bad matchup for Zab, this should end his career against elites... Mosely has an iron chin, and will break Zab down in this fight
Chi-Town
Definitely on PPV...HBO has no more WCB dates left...disgusting
streetlion1
This I feel is gonna be a pretty good fight!...while it lasts. I see Judah getting stopped in the late rounds..but I expect him to be in it until then.
thehype
QUOTE(Hodge @ Feb 13 2008, 04:39 PM) [snapback]378460[/snapback]
Both of these guys are coming off loses. I hope this isn't for pay-per-view.

Hey now...in all fairness, Zab is coming off of two wins. Granted, they were against no-name opponents (Ryan Davis and Edwin Vazquez) and weren't televised...but still...they're wins.

LOL
MarzB
It's funny how Shane was mocking a fight with Zab prior to his fight with Cotto and now look,lol..

Zab is the classic case of all the physical tools but not the discipline to pull it all off. I think Mosley has slowed but he does indeed have an iron chin and while he's not what he's used to be, he's definitely a smarter boxer than Zab.

It's possible for Zab to pull it off. "Possible" = he totally reinvents his lack of focus self, fights disciplined the ENTIRE duration, throws more combinations as opposed to looking for a one punch bomb, don't engage too much into trading..

Thats a lot of "hard wiring" for him to overcome.

Mosley by decision in a fight where Zab looks brilliant at some points and basic at others..

Sugar Q
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 13 2008, 04:43 PM) [snapback]378463[/snapback]
This is a pretty cool fight that I would be interested in. I know my brain should tell me otherwise, but I actually think Judah is a pretty live underdog in this fight. I'm not sure Mosley has the power to totally breakdown Zab like Cotto did. Now I'm not saying that Mosley can't stop Zab, but I think Zab may actually fair well in there with Shane.

This is a MEANINGLESS fight for Shane. Again showing that he doesn't make good decisions. There is NOTHING to gain but a little cash for Shane. Shane would do better fighting Quintana (who beat Williams and has a title) or Mayorga (a moral victory) than Zab who lost to PBF, Baldomire and Cotto. Shane gains NO MOMENTUM from this fight. Not smart at all.
BrutalBodyShots
Well the way Zab fades late and the way Mosley fights late I see the last 5 rounds going to Mosley without question.

That said, does anyone really think Zab can win ALL of the first 7? Because that's what he'd have to do to win the fight. I think Zab takes at most 3-4 of the early rounds and at some point around the 7th it will become all Mosley. This is of course assuming that it goes the distance and that Mosley doesn't stop Zab.

Mosley 116-112.

rusty_trombone
I don't know, my first reaction is an easy win for Mosley. But Judah is an offensive machine for the first half of a fight, if he can touch his chin like Forrest did in the first fight.
Jack 1000
This is the same as ANY Judah fight of late,

Zab is dangerous for the first 4 rounds, if opponent is still there after 5, he breaks down and loses by a late stoppage.

If Judah doesn't win, he is over as a solid contender I would say. But 60% says Mosley. 40% gives Zab that early chance.

Can any of you see this going another way?

Jack

PS. Bullshit as a PPV fight! Damn, I miss Lou Dibella's matchmaking! Lou never would have put this on PPV.
BrutalBodyShots
As I said in one of the other threads... Zab is 1-5 in his biggest 6 fights.

Mosley would be another big fight, so you do the math as to what Zab's odds should be to win. 1-5 odds sound about right to me.

D-MARV
Shane takes this one! But this will be a closer fight than people think. I actually won't be surprised to see Judah pull it off!
Though Shane was very much in the Cotto fight, I saw a side of him that I haven't seen in a while. It was like his heart wasn't in it. I felt he let Cotto outbox him down the stretch and I never would of thought I would see that. Sure he put up a good effort in that fight but I personally think he didn't let it all hang out. Zab will match Mosely with Speed and Power! I see this posing some Major problems for Shane. Shane also got hit alot against Cotto. I wonder how Shane would respond to a Judah Uppercut, I think Zab can Hurt Shane. But anyways good fight! I have Shane pulling off a close decision!
BigG
I believe Mosleys record in big fights isnt all too great either...isn't DLH his only big fight win?
BigG
Beating Goldie is a helluva accomplishment but this is Mosley's record in big fights (not counting the weak shotnando Vargas)

WSD 12 Oscar De La Hoya
LUD 12 Vernon Forrest
LUD 12 Vernon [quote]Forrest
WUD 12 Oscar De La Hoya (controverial)
LUD 12 Winky Wright
LMD 12 Winky Wright
LUD 12 Miguel Cotto

Thats 2-5 but it could be 1-6.
salvador
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Feb 13 2008, 06:10 PM) [snapback]378471[/snapback]
Definitely on PPV...HBO has no more WCB dates left...disgusting

What does that mean? Is it just that HBO has a certain number of dollars to allocate to boxing, regardless of what kind of ratings an extra WCB fight might generate relative to the cost? That doesn't make any sense.

I can't help but believe that if a fight like Calzaghe-Dawson came up, HBO would create another date to fit it in.
salvador
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Feb 13 2008, 07:38 PM) [snapback]378486[/snapback]
This is a MEANINGLESS fight for Shane. Again showing that he doesn't make good decisions. There is NOTHING to gain but a little cash for Shane. Shane would do better fighting Quintana (who beat Williams and has a title) or Mayorga (a moral victory) than Zab who lost to PBF, Baldomire and Cotto. Shane gains NO MOMENTUM from this fight. Not smart at all.

He's 36. He's just trying to squeeze as many dollars out of the sport as he can without getting hurt - as we saw in the Vargas fights. Shane will probably make around $4-5MM here without much risk. And who knows, maybe if Margarito beats Cotto this fall, then Shane might be in position for a big money fight with Floyd in early 09.

Quintana is a much riskier fight than Zab for less money. Shane doesn't need belts at this point. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Shane in with Mayorga later in the year, assuming that Mayorga can acutally make 147.

buford54
Zab can defnitely win this fight. He needs to knock Shane out in the first 4 rounds to do it, but Shane's defense is suspect, and if Zab can catch him with a huge uppercut, he could do it.

Either way, I won't be watching this fight. It could be entertaining, but it means nothing and neither one really gains any momentum by winning.
Tha Docta
well, i will be watching this fight, thats for sure. u arent really a fight fan if you avoid this fight IMO. and why does this fight mean nothing??

if this fight means nothing, then cottos wins over both of these guys means nothing.
streetlion1
QUOTE(buford54 @ Feb 14 2008, 07:43 AM) [snapback]378539[/snapback]
Zab can defnitely win this fight. He needs to knock Shane out in the first 4 rounds to do it, but Shane's defense is suspect, and if Zab can catch him with a huge uppercut, he could do it.

Either way, I won't be watching this fight. It could be entertaining, but it means nothing and neither one really gains any momentum by winning.

If he needs to knock Shane out to do it then in effect he's already lost. Mosley has an iron chin and Zab doesnt hit hard enough.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 14 2008, 05:42 AM) [snapback]378533[/snapback]
Haha. How true. We all know what happened in his second fight with the Golden Boy and nobody better come on here and mention the Vargas fights, lol.

What do we all know happened? That Mosley won a UD and the majority of ringside observers agreed? That Lampley's salivary glands spewed so much pro-Oscar rhetoric during those 12 rounds a majority of TV viewers became confused as to what they were seeing? That's personally what I know to have happened.

Oh, and by the way, the Fernando Vargas fights.
Big Slim Sweet
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 14 2008, 06:05 AM) [snapback]378534[/snapback]
Beating Goldie is a helluva accomplishment but this is Mosley's record in big fights (not counting the weak shotnando Vargas)

WSD 12 Oscar De La Hoya
LUD 12 Vernon Forrest
LUD 12 Vernon
Forrest
LUD 12 Winky Wright
LMD 12 Winky Wright
LUD 12 Miguel Cotto

This is mosley's record in PPV fights

WSD 12 Oscar
WUD 12 Oscar
TKO 10 Vargas
KO 6 Vargas
LUD 12 Cotto

That's 4-1 but it could be 5-0.
Big Slim Sweet
I have no idea why my responses to BG keep looking like this
BigG
Vargas was a big event since he was a name but SHOTnando Vargas wasn't a big win. It was a good win over a name and a fading fighter.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(salvador @ Feb 14 2008, 08:20 AM) [snapback]378538[/snapback]
He's 36. He's just trying to squeeze as many dollars out of the sport as he can without getting hurt - as we saw in the Vargas fights. Shane will probably make around $4-5MM here without much risk. And who knows, maybe if Margarito beats Cotto this fall, then Shane might be in position for a big money fight with Floyd in early 09.

Quintana is a much riskier fight than Zab for less money. Shane doesn't need belts at this point. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Shane in with Mayorga later in the year, assuming that Mayorga can acutally make 147.

Quintana is not more of a risk than Zab. Zab has a better chance of upsetting Shane than Quintana does. Shane needs meaningful fights that keep him in the loop. Zab is not that. Beating Zab only means you beat a guy that has been beaten a few times already. A big gain for Zab but a step back for Shane. At least with Mayorga he would have a chance at a moral victory. Quintana would be a perfect fight to use as leverage if Shane wants any remote chance of getting a fight with PBF or a Cotto rematch. Zab right now is a fade off into the sunset type fight.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 14 2008, 01:38 PM) [snapback]378560[/snapback]
Vargas was a big event since he was a name but SHOTnando Vargas wasn't a big win. It was a good win over a name and a fading fighter.

That's fine but we're talking about big fights, right? I sort of think that means big events. Coming through in the clutch or what have you. That's how I intrepret it at least. Especially when the whole matter was brought up to contrast Zab's performances in big fights.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Feb 14 2008, 02:31 PM) [snapback]378564[/snapback]
Quintana is not more of a risk than Zab. Zab has a better chance of upsetting Shane than Quintana does. Shane needs meaningful fights that keep him in the loop. Zab is not that. Beating Zab only means you beat a guy that has been beaten a few times already. A big gain for Zab but a step back for Shane. At least with Mayorga he would have a chance at a moral victory. Quintana would be a perfect fight to use as leverage if Shane wants any remote chance of getting a fight with PBF or a Cotto rematch. Zab right now is a fade off into the sunset type fight.

Agree 100% with this assessment. For Shane, a fight with Zab is a higher risk, much lower reward fight than one with Quintana would have been. For Zab this fight is high risk high reward. If he pulls the upset he's right back in the thick of things.
Maxy
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 14 2008, 05:05 AM) [snapback]378534[/snapback]

WSD 12 Oscar De La Hoya
LUD 12 Vernon Forrest
LUD 12 Vernon
Forrest
LUD 12 Winky Wright
LMD 12 Winky Wright
LUD 12 Miguel Cotto

Yeah but Forrest just seemed to have his number, Wright is naturally a much bigger man and Cotto is so much younger and nearer his prime.

I take Mosley to win wide on points or stop Zab in the late rounds.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Feb 14 2008, 11:22 AM) [snapback]378555[/snapback]
What do we all know happened? That Mosley won a UD and the majority of ringside observers agreed? That Lampley's salivary glands spewed so much pro-Oscar rhetoric during those 12 rounds a majority of TV viewers became confused as to what they were seeing? That's personally what I know to have happened.

Oh, and by the way, the Fernando Vargas fights.

Mosley lost that fight!!! I still remember Foremans first words..."this is terrible". I like Shane but he was givin a gift by the judges that night against Oscar.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 14 2008, 04:31 PM) [snapback]378578[/snapback]
We don't get the HBO broadcast team and Lampley in Australia. Mosley was pretty sure he lost as well. Did you see his reaction when he was given the win? He had the look of disbelief. He could barely believe it.

The whole reaction angle is greatly overblown IMO. That could speak to many different things. My guess is he knew he hadn't decisively beaten Oscar and doubted he would get the nod in a close fight in Vegas. I thought Mosley won the fight watching it and I was surprised by the decision as well. Especially being that it was unanimous, when their first fight was split.

QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 14 2008, 04:36 PM) [snapback]378579[/snapback]
Mosley lost that fight!!! I still remember Foremans first words..."this is terrible". I like Shane but he was givin a gift by the judges that night against Oscar.

Foreman was a notorious Oscar homer. And said a lot of dumb shit. You shouldn't try to defend a position by using something George Foreman said as proof.
BrutalBodyShots
Mosley's big fight losses were to taller guys with great jabs (Wright and Forrest twice apiece) and he fought to a close loss with Cotto. Really Mosley has only been beaten by one type of fighter, guys that are known to have great jabs. Zab is not one of those guys. Zab on the other hand wasn't beaten by one type of fighter... If you think about all the guys he's lost to he's been outboxed, outslicked, outbrawled, KTFO on one shot, etc. It would seem to me that Zab is an easier guy to beat than Mosley is to beat unless you are a tall guy with a great jab.

Just my assessment though.

WindyCityP
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 14 2008, 12:05 PM) [snapback]378534[/snapback]

WSD 12 Oscar De La Hoya
LUD 12 Vernon Forrest
LUD 12 Vernon
Forrest
LUD 12 Winky Wright
LMD 12 Winky Wright
LUD 12 Miguel Cotto

C'mon BG what about your boy Zabdiel?

A big 0-3
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 14 2008, 09:46 PM) [snapback]378605[/snapback]
Mosley's big fight losses were to taller guys with great jabs (Wright and Forrest twice apiece) and he fought to a close loss with Cotto. Really Mosley has only been beaten by one type of fighter, guys that are known to have great jabs. Zab is not one of those guys. Zab on the other hand wasn't beaten by one type of fighter... If you think about all the guys he's lost to he's been outboxed, outslicked, outbrawled, KTFO on one shot, etc. It would seem to me that Zab is an easier guy to beat than Mosley is to beat unless you are a tall guy with a great jab.

Just my assessment though.

Good assessment.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Feb 14 2008, 04:58 PM) [snapback]378592[/snapback]
The whole reaction angle is greatly overblown IMO. That could speak to many different things. My guess is he knew he hadn't decisively beaten Oscar and doubted he would get the nod in a close fight in Vegas. I thought Mosley won the fight watching it and I was surprised by the decision as well. Especially being that it was unanimous, when their first fight was split.
Foreman was a notorious Oscar homer. And said a lot of dumb shit. You shouldn't try to defend a position by using something George Foreman said as proof.

It wasnt just Foreman it was everyone at ringside! They couldnt come up with a reason why they gave Mosley that fight..until they said "oh..they must've scored the blood"...gimme a break..no-one can watch that fight and truley say they thought Mosley won unless they are just an Oscar hater. Did you forget the look on Mosleys face when they read the decision?
salvador
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Feb 14 2008, 02:31 PM) [snapback]378564[/snapback]

First, I assume you agree that Zab is a bigger paycheck and that Mosley's in it for the money at this point.

Second, Quintana is a 12 round fighter. Zab isn't. And Zab doesn't have the power at 147 that he had at 140. He's got speed and a decent uppercut, which together might win Zab 3 or maybe even 4 rounds. But that's it. Mosley's got a great chin and great endurance and enough power to knock Zab out. After the 5th or 6th round, this fight will be all Mosley and will probably end with an exciting ko. Quintana, on the other hand, is a southpaw with skills who fights aggressively for 12 rounds. If I'm Mosley and I'm given the choice between these two guys, I'd take Judah all day. The fact that Judah is the bigger paycheck is just icing.

And no, Mosley doesn't need any Mickey Mouse belt at 147 at this point in his career for leverage. All that would mean would be more sanctioning fees. Mosley beat DLH twice and has done very well on ppv and almost beat Cotto. Floyd would be thrilled to fight him after DLH and Cotto with or without a win over Quintana.

dj necrogenic
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 15 2008, 10:09 AM) [snapback]378712[/snapback]
It wasnt just Foreman it was everyone at ringside! They couldnt come up with a reason why they gave Mosley that fight..until they said "oh..they must've scored the blood"...gimme a break..no-one can watch that fight and truley say they thought Mosley won unless they are just an Oscar hater. Did you forget the look on Mosleys face when they read the decision?

Man... I dont like Oscar as a fighter or person at all. But when I scored the fight I think I had it 116-112 for Oscar, there was no way in hell Mosely won that shit. Plus as its been revealed Mosely was on Balco at the time. That fight should be made a NC
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 15 2008, 02:09 PM) [snapback]378712[/snapback]

5 of 6 ringside observers HBO polled after the fight agreed with the verdict.

I'm not an Oscar hater and I truly thought Shane won the fight. I know several other posters here did as well. While I was watching it live I was listening to the HBO team and thinking to myself, "Am I watching the same fight as them?" It was a close fight that could have gone either way. Quantity vs. Quality. The only reason so many people think the decision was so outrageous was because of Lampley's cheerleading. (Fitz excepted smile.gif

Consult my previous post regarding Mosley's face.

BrutalBodyShots
I think I had the fight 115-113 Mosley as well and gave one close round to Mosley that could have gone to DLH in my view, so a 114-114 card was OK in my book.

As far as Mosley's face when the decision was read, I interpret that completely different than most. I don't believe that Mosley thought he lost the fight. I believe that he thought that the fight was very close; certainly it wasn't as decisive as his first showing against Oscar. Mosley said in his post fight interview that it was a fight that could have gone either way. Anyway, I think that since the rematch was closer than the original and that it was such a close fight that Mosley honestly thought that DLH would get the nod as he is the bigger draw... and it could possibly set up a rubbermatch, etc. I think Mosley went into that fight thinking that he had to CLEARLY win it the way he did the original to get a decision, and he didn't feel all too confident. I think he reaction was more of "holy shit I got a close decision" not "holy shit I won."

And that HBO team and punchstats were garbage for that fight. If you ever come across those punchstats throw them out because they aren't worth the paper they're printed on. DLH would throw a "compubox flurry" toward the end of the round, which I define as 5-6 punches in combination that aren't thrown to land but rather to rack up some fake punchstat numbers. Of these 5-6 HBO would give credit of 3 or so landing that never came close. You don't win a fight by "compubox boxing" as I call it.

salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 15 2008, 10:37 PM) [snapback]378763[/snapback]
I think I had the fight 115-113 Mosley as well and gave one close round to Mosley that could have gone to DLH in my view, so a 114-114 card was OK in my book.

And that HBO team and punchstats were garbage for that fight. If you ever come across those punchstats throw them out because they aren't worth the paper they're printed on. DLH would throw a "compubox flurry" toward the end of the round, which I define as 5-6 punches in combination that aren't thrown to land but rather to rack up some fake punchstat numbers. Of these 5-6 HBO would give credit of 3 or so landing that never came close. You don't win a fight by "compubox boxing" as I call it.

I totally agree.

I love Merchant (and Lampley), but one of the oddest things I've ever heard come out of Merchant's mouth came after the first round of that second fight which was something to the effect of "That was the best round DLH has had in the last 13 rounds". And I remember thinking that even though Mosley only landed 3 punches that round, two of Mosley's punches were meaningful and nothing that DLH landed did anyting more than touch Mosley - and Mosley's 3 punches definitely did more damage than everything DLH landed put together. Which is a long way of saying that I thought that the first round of the second fight was about even, whereas Merchant seemed to believe it was a blowout. ANd for the rest of the fight I kept listening to him in disbelief for the same reason: Mosley was landing the more important punches in most rounds and Merchant never gave him credit for them.

I had the fight even, but the indignant tones that Merchant and Lampley had that night (I give Foreman the benefit of the doubt because he's a manic depressive and highly entertaining when he goes to the dark side as he did when the decision was read) really rubbed me the wrong way.
streetlion1
QUOTE(salvador @ Feb 16 2008, 06:42 AM) [snapback]378787[/snapback]
I totally agree.

I love Merchant (and Lampley), but one of the oddest things I've ever heard come out of Merchant's mouth came after the first round of that second fight which was something to the effect of "That was the best round DLH has had in the last 13 rounds". And I remember thinking that even though Mosley only landed 3 punches that round, two of Mosley's punches were meaningful and nothing that DLH landed did anyting more than touch Mosley - and Mosley's 3 punches definitely did more damage than everything DLH landed put together. Which is a long way of saying that I thought that the first round of the second fight was about even, whereas Merchant seemed to believe it was a blowout. ANd for the rest of the fight I kept listening to him in disbelief for the same reason: Mosley was landing the more important punches in most rounds and Merchant never gave him credit for them.

I had the fight even, but the indignant tones that Merchant and Lampley had that night (I give Foreman the benefit of the doubt because he's a manic depressive and highly entertaining when he goes to the dark side as he did when the decision was read) really rubbed me the wrong way.

DLH out-boxed Mosley plain and simple! So you guys are trying to say they said DLH won it because they liked him more?! Gimme a break!
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 18 2008, 07:55 PM) [snapback]379261[/snapback]
So you guys are trying to say they said DLH won it because they liked him more?!

Yep.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(salvador @ Feb 15 2008, 03:39 PM) [snapback]378720[/snapback]
First, I assume you agree that Zab is a bigger paycheck and that Mosley's in it for the money at this point.

Second, Quintana is a 12 round fighter. Zab isn't. And Zab doesn't have the power at 147 that he had at 140. He's got speed and a decent uppercut, which together might win Zab 3 or maybe even 4 rounds. But that's it. Mosley's got a great chin and great endurance and enough power to knock Zab out. After the 5th or 6th round, this fight will be all Mosley and will probably end with an exciting ko. Quintana, on the other hand, is a southpaw with skills who fights aggressively for 12 rounds. If I'm Mosley and I'm given the choice between these two guys, I'd take Judah all day. The fact that Judah is the bigger paycheck is just icing.

And no, Mosley doesn't need any Mickey Mouse belt at 147 at this point in his career for leverage. All that would mean would be more sanctioning fees. Mosley beat DLH twice and has done very well on ppv and almost beat Cotto. Floyd would be thrilled to fight him after DLH and Cotto with or without a win over Quintana.

Sal my dude, the bottom line is this is a meaningless fight. Shane wouldn't fight Paul Williams but now he has a chance to fight the man that beat him. Shane is not grabbing the money if he's mentioning fighting Vernon Forrest again so if he's truly trying to go out with a bang Quintana is the way and from what I see Quintana would be an easy fight. Why not beat the man who beat the man who many thought was the man. That would put Shane right back in the thick of things and set him up for a REAL payday. I'm sure beating Zab doesn't pay much anymore.
salvador
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Feb 19 2008, 12:31 AM) [snapback]379286[/snapback]
Sal my dude, the bottom line is this is a meaningless fight. Shane wouldn't fight Paul Williams but now he has a chance to fight the man that beat him. Shane is not grabbing the money if he's mentioning fighting Vernon Forrest again so if he's truly trying to go out with a bang Quintana is the way and from what I see Quintana would be an easy fight. Why not beat the man who beat the man who many thought was the man. That would put Shane right back in the thick of things and set him up for a REAL payday. I'm sure beating Zab doesn't pay much anymore.

I totally agree with you that it is meaningless, but that doesn't mean it won't be exciting while it lasts. I think you're wrong about Zab not paying much anymore. He's a great talker and his stock went up in the Cotto fight. Maybe Shane could have gotten more for a fight with Quintana simply because Zab is going to demand a bigger piece of the pie, but overall this fight generates bigger bucks and Mosley has a really good shot of getting a really impressive ko. I think if Mosley wins this fight, particularly by ko, a fight with Floyd next fall will be inevitable.

If Mosley really wanted to impress anyone he'd be fighting Clottey. The thing is, Mosley's got just about the most impressive opponent list in the sport and I don't think he cares about being a ww champ and I don't think the belt means anything to Floyd or anyone who would buy a Mosley-Floyd ticket.

Anyway, I'm excited about this fight.
BigG
Clottey? I think beating Zab would be bette than beating Clottey. Did you catch Clottley's last fight? He is proabbly one of the most overrated WW's out there today.

Mosley-Judah would be a way better fight.
BigG
He's good no doubt but people are acting like beating Zab means nothing..when in fact..it does. Judah has lost 2 big fights in 2 years...but he lost to the P4P king in Floyd and the P4P beast in Cotto. I still think Zab is a better name to have on your resume at this point...I didn't see Zab's last fight..but I thought he looked good in his first comeback fight after the Cotto beatdown.
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 20 2008, 04:36 AM) [snapback]379377[/snapback]
He's good no doubt but people are acting like beating Zab means nothing..when in fact..it does. Judah has lost 2 big fights in 2 years...but he lost to the P4P king in Floyd and the P4P beast in Cotto. I still think Zab is a better name to have on your resume at this point...I didn't see Zab's last fight..but I thought he looked good in his first comeback fight after the Cotto beatdown.

I love Zab and I love watching him fight, but the only win on his record worth mentioning is Spinks. OTher than that, he's lost every big fight he's ever been in and he also lost to the slowest ww in the history of the sport. The only reason Zab's a bigger name on someone's resume than Clottey is because most people have never heard of Clottey because nobody with a name wants to fight Clottey, including Zab. I think Clottey would destroy Zab if, for no other reason, than Clottey's a really big ww and Zab should be at 140.

Come to think of it, Clottey-Williams would be pretty interesting.

salvador
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 18 2008, 07:55 PM) [snapback]379261[/snapback]
DLH out-boxed Mosley plain and simple! So you guys are trying to say they said DLH won it because they liked him more?! Gimme a break!

Most people ringside had the fight extremely close - with a lot of those people giving the fight to Mosley, and that wasn't the impression one would have gotten by listening to the HBO telecast.

And I believe that for Foreman in particular, yes, his obvious affection for DLH biased him whether Foreman was aware of it or not. I think Foreman had a tendency to bond with HBO fighters, Prince Nassim and DLH in particular, and his biases were always flagrant. With Merchant, I just think it was an example of two people can watch the same fight and come up with fairly different scores based on how those people scored the fight. Merchant obviously thought that the fact that DLH landed more won him the fight, whereas I, and many others, thought that even though Mosley was landing less, Mosley's punches were harder and cleaner and more meaningful and Mosley clearly did more damage. Merchant is old and an egomaniac (and I love him), but his anger over the decision was unfair to Mosley and he was correct to apologize to Mosley the next week on the air and to admit that he thought the fight was much closer the second time he watched it.
salvador
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 20 2008, 09:05 AM) [snapback]379397[/snapback]
I see what you are saying, but you can reverse the question and ask who is the biggest name on Clottey's resume. Chances are, it will be him looking good in a loss against Margarito.
I thought it was Clottey that lost to Margarito. Judah has never fought Margarito......................oh wait, your talking about that other slow welter from Argentina? lol.

Clottey abused Corrales, primarily because Clottey was so much bigger. I think Clottey actually came into one of his fights at 170 (maybe that's wrong, but I don't think so). Zab doesn't have the size or the stamina to be in the ring with someone who is so much bigger.

And yeah, I should have been more specific! I was talking about the slow 35 year old with no head movement and only 13 kos in 58 fights - with most of those kos coming against club fighters in Argentina. laugh.gif
salvador
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 20 2008, 09:29 AM) [snapback]379404[/snapback]
Yeah, well I can see why you think Clottey is a better opponent and yeah he just may be. But I don't think anyone really knows for sure. He is known for looking good in a loss against Margarito and beating Corrales who had no business with being in the ring with Clottey either. I just don't think Zab is a bad fight at all for Mosley and Mosley really wouldn't be getting that much recognition for a win over Clottey. I think he is going for a fight that will generate more interest and money, and at this stage I wouldn't say it's a worse name than Clottey either to have on your resume. I just think Clottey has a bit more to prove.

I'm really excited about the fight and I've argued above that this fight makes sense for Mosley. And even if it didn't, Mosley has nothing to prove at this point. He's already proven that he's willing to fight anyone. I think Mosley's just waiting around on the off chance that he gets a shot at Floyd next spring. And there's no doubt in my mind that he will knock Zab out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.