Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is he for real on this or full of shit?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
I tend to frequent many boxing sites, even if I don't care for the majority of the content, just because everynow and then you find a nugget. Well in the mailbag for today someone wrote in and suggested that Zab Judah is his brother "Zab Leon" because Greg defends him all the time.

This was the response and I wonder if this guy is just bullshtting or making himself out to be bigger than he is, or does he REALLY have that much sway?

Zab Leon? Pretty funny. It's pretty difficult not become tight with somebody when you were intricately involved in making his fights with Cory Spinks, Floyd Mayweather Jr and Miguel Cotto
dj necrogenic
Man. Greg is just one of those punkass guys who think because he mentions something on his site, that he made the fight happen. Greg is a bitch, trying to be an advisor.. What a bunch of horseshit
STEVENSKI
Greg is in the wrong game then because managers make more money than website owners. Unless he can do both part time because he is just so damm good.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 14 2008, 02:08 PM) [snapback]378586[/snapback]
Greg is in the wrong game then because managers make more money than website owners. Unless he can do both part time because he is just so damm good.

He's not a manager he's an "advisor"
Byrd Man
I've heard both sides of this, with people saying that he doesn't have any pull and he gets dissed all the time by people in the boxing game, and then you see his site that has interviews with all these big stars and decent boxers, promoters, etc, and he himself says how influential he is (not in those EXACT words, but you get what I'm saying) in getting fights made and whatnot.

Almost like his word is gold and if he thinks a fight should be made, all he's gotta do is say the word and by God, they'll do it! lol

I honestly don't know the situation with him, so if anyone has done up a big article or something explaining this dude and everyone's beef or love with him, that'd be great so i could get up to speed. All I know is they kinda fucked over a dude I'm cool with that used to write for them.
gods son
say what u want to say about him, but he produced one of the best interviews ever IMO...with TYSON, SHELLY FINKEL AND THE OTHER DUDE ...that was LOCO BANANAS!!!!

easywork
If he's so "intricately involved" and "tight" with Zab, then why hasn't there been any mention of Mosley-Judah yet?

Maybe he's still hammering out the details of the contract (even though the contracts are supposedly already signed).
Byrd Man
http://gregleoninvasion.com/
Mino
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 14 2008, 08:58 PM) [snapback]378609[/snapback]
I remember posting an article from boxingtalk somewhere (non boxing forum). It was about Mike Tyson and there was a photograph of Leon with Tyson. One of the first replies was, "who is that faggot that is trying to look hard".

Fitz u must get that response when ppl see pics of you
Byrd Man
QUOTE(Mino @ Feb 14 2008, 10:48 PM) [snapback]378616[/snapback]
Fitz u must get that response when ppl see pics of you

A lame bitch response. thumbsdown_anim.gif
Mino
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Feb 15 2008, 01:09 AM) [snapback]378659[/snapback]
A lame bitch response. thumbsdown_anim.gif

Byrd Man... Really??? Are you just as much as a fag as ur hero is???
Byrd Man
My hero? Are your referring to Fitz or Chris Byrd? Neither one is my "hero" but whatever.

You seem to be an ignorant person, throwing out a word like that. Fitz used it as well, which is just as ignorant, I'll admit so I'm not being biased here.

Just made a simple comment. No need to start lashing out.
STEVENSKI
I will admit it Fitz is my hero.
Method
he produced one of the best interviews ever IMO...with TYSON, SHELLY FINKEL AND THE OTHER DUDE ...that was LOCO BANANAS!!!!

Yeah, something was fishy with that. He was all over that situation, there were lawsuits flying around left and right, and then suddenly (AND UNCHARACTERISTICALLY), he COMPLETELY BACKED OFF of that scoop and we never heard anything of it again.
Byrd Man
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 15 2008, 05:31 AM) [snapback]378673[/snapback]
You are wrong. I never used it. I said when I posted an article from boxingtalk which was about Mike Tyson and had a picture of the two together. "One of the first responses was "who is that faggot trying to look hard?". I never used it.

I'm aware of that, which is why I would hold the other dude as far more ignorant. And I realize you're just quoting someone. It's all good. lol
thehype
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Feb 14 2008, 06:09 PM) [snapback]378593[/snapback]
I've heard both sides of this, with people saying that he doesn't have any pull and he gets dissed all the time by people in the boxing game, and then you see his site that has interviews with all these big stars and decent boxers, promoters, etc, and he himself says how influential he is (not in those EXACT words, but you get what I'm saying) in getting fights made and whatnot.

Almost like his word is gold and if he thinks a fight should be made, all he's gotta do is say the word and by God, they'll do it! lol

I honestly don't know the situation with him, so if anyone has done up a big article or something explaining this dude and everyone's beef or love with him, that'd be great so i could get up to speed. All I know is they kinda fucked over a dude I'm cool with that used to write for them.

LOL.

If he was responsible for making Mayweather-Judah, then I was just as responsible for saving it since I'm the one that told him that we could still make the fight happen despite the fact that Zab had just lost to Baldomir. In fact, after talking it over a bit, we both called Zab on 3-way to let him know what was about to go down and Zab, in a depressed tone, replied, "Good lookin' out my nigga...make it happen."

While we're at it, I might as well take responsibility for putting him in contact with Mike Tyson since I'm the one who got in touch with Mike's boy Nick (or "Nick the Dick" as he was referred to), built the bridge and had all parties cross it to meet each other.

laugh.gif

If he's got as much "influence" as you think he has, then he wouldn't have to charge people to read his content as I would assume he'd be making much more money from being an advisor/manager. He also wouldn't have to CONSTANTLY remind you to remember where you heard it first and he certainly wouldn't have to keep bragging as much as he does in his mailbags. Obviously if you say things enough, people will start to believe them.

I'm assuming I'm the one that you'd like to read that article from since I know the most about him and what's been going on for the past four years at Btalk sine he took over. Unfortunately, I won't go there...at least not yet. All I can really say is no...no, he does not have the influence that he'd like you to believe he has. Don't get me wrong...he might have some information that's useful to certain people and with that information, he's able to advise people on some things. For instance, if he knows Alfonso Gomez is being offered 500K to fight Cotto, but Gomez wants more, he might tell Zab to say, "Hey Bob, pay me the money you're offering Gomez and I'll fight Cotto". So if the rematch between Zab and Cotto was made, does that mean Greg's the reason why it happened? Maybe...maybe not...it just depends on how you look at it.

I'm curious to know which friend of yours used to write for them? I could probably shed some light onto that situation as well depending on when he was there.
buford54
G. Leon has done a great job with his website and is probably doing very well for himself.
He is probably able to split his attention between the site and advising people at this point, because a lot of the interviews come from other writers. He keeps the big ones for himself and does the mailbag, but a lot of filler content comes from other people.

My question is how can you remain an "impartial" reporter of facts, while taking on advisory clients?
Also, it seems to me that there is a conflict of interests when you are giving advice to someone, but also control a media outlet.
As far as being good for business, I could imagine that if a client were offered deals from 2 different promoters, and he advised the guy towards one or the other, he might piss off his contacts at the other promoter...just a possibility.

As far as his being for real with making fights...if you know the right people and can put them in touch with each other...things can happen. I certainly wouldn't take that away from him. He is friends with both Floyd and Zab...he could have worked to convince Floyd to still fight Zab after the Baldomir loss.
He certainly takes credit for a lot, but a lot of that is probably marketing. Just like fighters go out and mouth off about killing the other fighter, and "this is personal..." it's really just business. People buy into that crap. It probably makes a lot of mailbag readers feel like their opinions matter, because they are writing to a guy who "makes" all of these fights happen.

He certainly has a bully pulpit at this point though. He has enough readers that even if he starts spitting crap and taking credit for things he didn't do, people probably won't want to cut him off from interviews yet, because they'd be hurting themselves more than him.
He's done a good job of spreading wide/deep roots, so that if one of them can't find water, he has a lot that still can.

Byrd Man
I'm not saying that I believe Leon at all. I don't care for dude. I've just been confused by the almost he said/she said situation where people talk about how big a joke that the boxing elite hold him in, and how they laugh at him in private (saying that both Hopkins AND Arum have done that, from what I've read on other sites) and then you go and see a regular interview thing with Arum and interviews with Hopkins bigging up the website.

So I was honestly just wanting to learn more about the dude and his history or whatever, because I was interested in figuring out what is the truth with him.

I've heard MANY people say negative things about him, more in fact than I've heard anyone say GOOD things about him.

And as for my friend, I'm not wanting to put him out there, or anything because I don't know whether he would WANT me talking about that. So....

But yeah...I've kinda figured that Leon is a blowhard type guy, but it's just weird how half the people seem to hate the dude and talk about how he's a big joke, and yet he's still getting these interviews and access to these fighters that supposedly despise him.
dj necrogenic
I've actually heard that Greg also takes credit for interviews that aint his... He'll put his name on an interview instead of crediting the actual interviewer, or sometimes simply put that the interview was by Boxingtalk.com... I guess its his way of dicking a writer.

I dont know, from the moment I started going to boxingtalk (before Greg owned it) I liked the site, but I started noticing changes once he got a hold of it, and throughout the years I have seen his ego, and the quality of his site go downhill. Where is used to be a news site... Now its a site for him to promote him, and his fighters. And at times I see him trying to push fighters into fights by saying "This fighter said this about you... Are you gonna take that?" type of shit.
dj necrogenic
DAMN BYRDMAN!!! Now I want an Ipod ohmy.gif
Byrd Man
Ha Ha Ha!

The only thing better woulda been if it was an Ipod NANO! lol
buford54
If Hopkins and Arum are laughing at Leon, then that just reveals their character. Because they certainly talk him and his site up in the interviews.
It's certainly possible that they are using him and the success his site has had, but think little of him otherwise and joke about him...but Hopkins and Arum do the same thing.

If Leon is getting accused of taking credit for things that aren't his...it's very possible that he does. BUT, Hopkins went to Puerto Rico, threw the Puerto Rican flag to the ground (enraging the entire population)...only to fly back afterwards, apologize, and say he was only promoting the fight.
So Leon's dishonest, but Hopkins is dishonest also. He was willing to mislead an entire country of people, and cause them to believe that he honestly and personally hated the country of Puerto Rico...just so they would all pay the money to watch their champion fight him in the ring.

G is probably starting to think he's larger than life in some ways, because he has the cell phone numbers for a lot of boxing's top names...who (since they are sports stars) are seen as larger than life by many.

I can see where the "big dogs" would make fun of him for thinking he weilds power, when all he actually does is run a website.

But, like I said, it speaks to their own lack of character that they would use his website for their own pulicity and gain, and then make fun of the guy behind his back.
gods son
where is AVON?????
my favorite JEW!!!!
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(gods son @ Feb 15 2008, 01:10 PM) [snapback]378728[/snapback]
where is AVON?????
my favorite JEW!!!!

Avon chose to remain at boxingtalk...
thehype
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Feb 15 2008, 12:25 PM) [snapback]378701[/snapback]
So I was honestly just wanting to learn more about the dude and his history or whatever, because I was interested in figuring out what is the truth with him.

Send him an email if you want his history. LOL.

I've heard MANY people say negative things about him, more in fact than I've heard anyone say GOOD things about him.

Well there you go then...if you've heard more negative things than good, then that should tell you something.

And as for my friend, I'm not wanting to put him out there, or anything because I don't know whether he would WANT me talking about that. So....

But you kind of already DID put him out there. You don't have to mention any names here, but come on...shoot me a PM or something. I can take some guesses..is it Brad Cooney? Nah...he left and then came back. How about Mike Doss? Michael Campbell perhaps? Surely you can't be referring to Mike Katz. Maybe you're talking about my boy OnFire Aguirre. If you let me know, I can probably dig through my emails and find some interesting things Greg said about him since he used to copy me on just about every piece of correspondence he ever had with any of his writers. LOL.

But yeah...I've kinda figured that Leon is a blowhard type guy, but it's just weird how half the people seem to hate the dude and talk about how he's a big joke, and yet he's still getting these interviews and access to these fighters that supposedly despise him.

You'll have to be more specific about "these fighters that supposedly despise him"...I can't recall too many fighters who have come out and said they despise the guy. I know Jermain Taylor isn't the biggest fan of his, but I wouldn't say he "despises" him. I know you probably won't find too many Shane Mosley interviews over there right now. At one point, Hopkins was beefin with him for a minute. I'm sure there's probably a few fighters like Jose Antonio Rivera that don't like him. I don't think Antonio Margarito is one of his biggest fans. But still...that being said, whether they like him or not, they still realize he owns a media outlet and if you want to promote yourself, you have to talk to the media.

For the record, getting interviews and access to fighters isn't quite as hard as you think if you know the right people. If you, or anyone for that matter, feels the urge to start interviewing some of them, by all means let me know...I have a pretty thick rolodex msyelf. LOL.
thehype
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Feb 15 2008, 04:19 PM) [snapback]378730[/snapback]
Avon chose to remain at boxingtalk...

And that's one of the silliest things I ever heard...."remain at boxingtalk"....nobody ever asked him to choose sides to begin with...but whatever. Hey, have they got that message board up yet that he was talking about?
thehype
QUOTE(buford54 @ Feb 15 2008, 03:51 PM) [snapback]378724[/snapback]
It's certainly possible that they are using him and the success his site has had, but think little of him otherwise and joke about him...but Hopkins and Arum do the same thing.
But, like I said, it speaks to their own lack of character that they would use his website for their own pulicity and gain, and then make fun of the guy behind his back.

clapping.gif

Hey...what do you know...somebody actually gets it.

LOL
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(thehype @ Feb 15 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]378733[/snapback]
And that's one of the silliest things I ever heard...."remain at boxingtalk"....nobody ever asked him to choose sides to begin with...but whatever. Hey, have they got that message board up yet that he was talking about?

Yeah I dont understand why he couldnt do both either... Hell if anything I read Fighthype a hell of alot more than I do boxingtalk. But I guess Avon just was sad about losing his mod powers... Nah no message board yet man. Target Date:2025
Byrd Man
thanks for all the feedback on here and whatnot.

As for the friend, perhaps I overstated the situation (with what little I said). He used to write there but not like a MAIN writer or anything, and as the Roots said, "Things fall apart" And I don't think he was there very long.

I'll talk to you via PM. lol

puma
Hey Hype,
I have much love for both you and Greg.
Don't like to see you brothers as adversaries. Competitors is O.K.
There is enough glory for eveybody who ain't taking the punches.
Please let's chill the acrimony.
Looking forward to Saturday's battle.
My prediction: A repeat for Pavlik. What say you guys?
1 Love,
Puma
puma
Hey Hype,
I have much love for both you and Greg.
Don't like to see you brothers as adversaries. Competitors is O.K.
There is enough glory for eveybody who ain't taking the punches.
Please let's chill the acrimony.
Looking forward to Saturday's battle.
My prediction: A repeat for Pavlik. What say you guys?
1 Love,
Puma
Byrd Man
The post so nice, he said it twice! lol
stateofthegame
Damn was I suppose to get pissed off about my "blue name." I must have missed the memo.
Byrd Man
Well as for the mod status thing, I've been on websites and forums where they frown on mods being mods of "competing" sites. Any one who's a mod who also happens to be made a mod or whatever at another site that they view as competition, that can fuck things up for them at the original site.

Not knowing all the specifics of THIS situation, just pointing that out.
AKay
I tried to convince AVON to not worry about being Admin and going to Mod status. The only difference technically is access to the mysql database that the forum runs on between admin and mods. I didnt take sides im still cool with guys over there and tons of guys on the boards over here. Unfortunately between school and work, (and my new jobs firewall blocking tons of sites) I cant frequent any sites much.

I'd welcome Avon back and im sure he visits the boards once in a blue under some secret name and reads these posts. Hype never made anyone choose sides and still doesn't. Shyt I still frequent all the boxing sites daily for the quick hit news. I dont have time to sit there and read sub par fallacious articles full of pops ups though so some i stay away from.
Byrd Man
Well Akay, as I was talking about on the comparison with the other sites I was on, there are sites that view that as a conflict of interest. As in, "how are you going to fully rep our site the way we'd like you to, when you're going on other sites and repping THEIR site too?"

And I see the logic there, but I don't think it should matter.

And we don't know what BT said to Avon, if anything. Perhaps they went to Avon and said, "look, if you're gonna be on our site like this, you need to not be over there.

It's a Dubya mentality it seems. You're either with us or against us.

*shrugs*
Byrd Man
*whew*

I just went through all 25 pages of the "Is Boxingtalk Dead" thread in the Archive. And all I have to say is:

*flavor flav voice* WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Warlord
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 15 2008, 07:17 AM) [snapback]378678[/snapback]
I will admit it Fitz is my hero.

I will admit Fitz has been my hero for a long time now. Ever since I saw his avatars with all the asian chicks with their titties bouncing around and shit.
Byrd Man
Boxingtalk.com caught up with WBO heavyweight champion Sultan Ibragimov moments before the final presser for his eagerly anticipated unification bout with IBF/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko. You don't want to miss what Ibragimov had to say days removed from the biggest fight of his life. Editors Note: Special thanks to Michael Buffer for making it clear that Boxingtalk is the standard at today's presser.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
MarzB
Interesting topic because like the author of this thread, I peruse a lot of boxing sites and this statement has struck me also. ("BT makes fights").

I'm not gonna pretend to speculate to know all the insides, I'm pretty much just a fan who happens to be involved with sport that uses the internet for information. But that said, on one hand (again without knowing all the insides) the only reason I could speculate G Leon would say they've (key word, not just him)had some part in making fights is that boxing being the "niche" sport it's become doesn't have too many how can we say avenues of mass media "real time".

Maybe I'm not being clear but Shane Mosley and Zab Judah upcoming fight for example being signed isn't going to be mentioned on SportsCenter much less an interview. Screw that fight, Oscar DLH isn't going to be interviewed from his home in a segment discussing his latest fight plans. That said, I'm "GUESSING" (and I could be wrong) he feels that since they kept the fight interest (of Zab vs. Floyd) up and posted stories, that lead to the continual discussions of the fight still occurring as it was deemed more marketable than a Floyd vs. Carlos in April (as opposed to their November) fight..

The problem I have with that is that was two years ago and if you're still mentioning that and your site has degraded to what it is now, thats pretty weak. In addition, he's at times sounds like a little girl when someone had beef with him and he'd boast about the ads all over his site. I've noticed he's listed as a "MANAGER" right now too and I wanted to bring that up here but I didn't know if I would be broaching an "off limits" subject. He's listed as the Manager of Ishe Smith (who I actually think has some real talent), Tarvis Simms, Monte Barret and "joke",err I mean Smoke Gainer.. What a coincidence most of these guys tend to get VERY favorable coverage on BT,lol.

I'm still wondering who his subscribers are considering he has some recent interviews on there of guys who should be BEGGING any type of exposure they can get (read JOEL CASSAMAYOR).
BigG
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 15 2008, 01:58 AM) [snapback]378609[/snapback]
I remember posting an article from boxingtalk somewhere (non boxing forum). It was about Mike Tyson and there was a photograph of Leon with Tyson. One of the first replies was, "who is that faggot that is trying to look hard".

Fitz, I asked myself the same qustion when I saw your avatar laugh.gif taunt.gif
Byrd Man
ha ha ha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.