Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FLOYD MAYWEATHER SR: "THEY CALLED ME TO TRAIN JUDAH!"
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
FLOYD MAYWEATHER SR: "THEY CALLED ME TO TRAIN JUDAH!"

With the recent news that Zab Judah will be fighting Shane Mosley on May 17th, world-renowned trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr. talks about the possibility of training Judah after being contacted by Zab's own father Yoel Judah. Plus, Mayweather Sr. had a lot to say about this weekend's highly-anticipated clash between Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor. "To be honest man, the only thing he's going to do is run or get knocked out early," he stated and you don't want to miss what else he had to say as he shared his thoughts on the fight, working with Judah, training with De La Hoya and much more. Check it out!

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content1960.html
JD
Interesting that Floyd could train Judah to fight Mosley when you look at the Oscar - Mosley connection.
Sugar Q
Clearly shows the kind of man Floyd sr. is. Not a loyal dude at all. Now it's clear why he's estranged from his son. After all the drama his family has been through with the Judahs. He should be a contestant on Flavor of Love cause he'll do anything for a buck.
streetlion1
It just shows that he is about his money...as a trainer how can you be loyal when your fighters arent loyal to you?! Most likely..the Judah-Mayweather Sr. connection wont happen. I think if anything his ego is his problem..when it comes to him talking down a good trainer like Freddy Roach and things like that. If your really good you dont have to talk anyone else down to prove it. Floyd Jr. and Judah were friends before they fought and from what I hear remain friends now. I dont think him being estranged from his son has anything to do with him being loyal but more to do with thier past and the way Floyd Sr. treated him.
salvador
It's pretty tragic that now that Zab's career is over his father is now willing to bring in a real trainer. He's only about 15 years too late. But at least Yoel got paid along the way.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 15 2008, 01:03 PM) [snapback]378711[/snapback]
It just shows that he is about his money...as a trainer how can you be loyal when your fighters arent loyal to you?! Most likely..the Judah-Mayweather Sr. connection wont happen. I think if anything his ego is his problem..when it comes to him talking down a good trainer like Freddy Roach and things like that. If your really good you dont have to talk anyone else down to prove it. Floyd Jr. and Judah were friends before they fought and from what I hear remain friends now. I dont think him being estranged from his son has anything to do with him being loyal but more to do with thier past and the way Floyd Sr. treated him.

My dude Floyd Sr. is training DeLaHoya to fight his son. Your telling me it's more important for Sr not to dis Freddie Roach than to be loyal to his son? Your telling me that for money it's ok for Papa Trinidad to train Oscar to fight Felix? If you feel that way you have serious mental issues. Zab is still trying to get another fight with PBF. Zab shouldn't even be an after thought for Sr. Sr said himself that he's training soooo many fighters why not stay away from his son's possible foes. This isn't about money it's about greed, lack of morals and values and ignorance. Yoel Judah would NEVER EVEN CONSIDER training someone to fight against his son.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Feb 15 2008, 05:57 PM) [snapback]378747[/snapback]
My dude Floyd Sr. is training DeLaHoya to fight his son. Your telling me it's more important for Sr not to dis Freddie Roach than to be loyal to his son? Your telling me that for money it's ok for Papa Trinidad to train Oscar to fight Felix? If you feel that way you have serious mental issues. Zab is still trying to get another fight with PBF. Zab shouldn't even be an after thought for Sr. Sr said himself that he's training soooo many fighters why not stay away from his son's possible foes. This isn't about money it's about greed, lack of morals and values and ignorance. Yoel Judah would NEVER EVEN CONSIDER training someone to fight against his son.

Well if your saying that its Sr. not being loyal the same thing could be said for Jr. He is the one that called out the guy his father is training and he is the one that said his loyalty is with his uncle not his father! That has to cause a lil' hurt and cause Sr. to be mad...so yeah maybe he wants to train someone to beat his son so his son see's who the better trainer is. Everybody has to get paid. He is just doing his job..he has been training DLH the past what 7t years? You saw him in his sons camp the first 24/7 they did and he got the cold shoulder...so I dont blame him. Also Yoel Judah isnt a hot name as a trainer so he wouldnt have anyone with a big enough name to fight against his son anyway!
BigG
I'd like to see Judah work with Freddie Roach....
streetlion1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 16 2008, 12:12 PM) [snapback]378823[/snapback]
I'd like to see Judah work with Freddie Roach....

Yeah...either way Judah should get with someone other than his father. It might refresh his career.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 16 2008, 03:58 PM) [snapback]378845[/snapback]
Yeah...either way Judah should get with someone other than his father. It might refresh his career.

i agree 100%. I was hoping he would get joe goosen in his corner.
MarzB
I'm not so sure about this. Its definitely interesting thats for sure. Regardless of what people think of Sr. his boxing knowledge is second to none. The problem with training other fighters and I'm going through this myself is not only how receptive are they to what you suggest but can they employ what is being taught at the same time remain confident with what they already know..

DLH still has issues (I think a lot of that comes from him being a part time fighter) and he's been with Sr for years. I would love to see the question posed to Sr about the Sturm fight since he loves taking credit for everything else,lol.. But back to Zab, as someone who's been on his bandwagon for years I've come down to the thought that unless theres some serious intervention, Zab will remain the fighter who (insert Denny Green voice) "is WHAT WE THOUGHT HE WAS".

Maybe Sr is the intervention needed but Zab's problems are more mental, emotional and tactical. Sr can correct the latter, that I have no doubt of. The problem is when Zab gets in trouble, he's very very mentally weak (Pineda, 3/4 first Spinks fight, Baldomir, Jr, Cotto-all fights he was either behind in, got in trouble or just lost focus). I suggest in addition to Sr they bring in a sports psychologist,lol but I'm serious.

Props out to Yoel for atleast trying although I would have thought maybe Sweet Pea Whitaker or John David Jackson would have been better as it's been said that Sr is extremely abrasive and that might not work with Zab's present state of mind..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.