Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik v. Trinidad on June 7th??
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Byrd Man
I wonder if Pavlik won't destroy Trinidad. Interesting.

LAS VEGAS -- Middleweight world champion Kelly Pavlik faces Jermain Taylor on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in their 166-pound non-title rematch, but his promoter, Top Rank's Bob Arum, is laying the groundwork for Pavlik's next fight.

It could come against former three-division champion Felix Trinidad on June 7 at New York's Madison Square Garden, Arum told ESPN.com on Friday.

Win or lose, Pavlik will remain middleweight champion and Arum is planning his first defense. The leading candidate remains popular rising contender "Irish" John Duddy, who is a big attraction in New York. But Arum said he has also spoken to Don King, Trinidad's promoter, about making Pavlik-Trinidad, which would take place the night before the annual Puerto Rican Day parade in New York.

"We've talked," Arum said. "Then King went down to Puerto Rico to meet with Trinidad last week. Then we spoke this week before he went to Germany and he said the meeting with the Trinidads went positively."

King is in Germany, where he has Sergei Liakhovich fighting Nikolai Valuev in a heavyweight elimination fight on Saturday night. Arum said he and King will meet face-to-face in New York next Friday to further discuss the bout.

Trinidad, an icon in Puerto Rico with a tremendous following in New York, is coming off a decision loss to Roy Jones on Jan. 19, but the former three-division champion looked good in a bout fought at 170 pounds, 10 pounds heavier than Trinidad had ever fought at before.

For the past few years, Arum has had Miguel Cotto, his Puerto Rican star, headline on the Puerto Rican Day parade weekend. But this year, Cotto is scheduled to fight Alfonso Gomez on April 12 and the turnaround to June 7 is too quick.

Arum plans to keep the date at Madison Square Garden and put Pavlik in the headline fight with an undercard built around some of his Puerto Rican fighters, such as junior flyweight champion Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon and junior featherweight contender Juan Manuel Lopez.

Arum is coming to New York next week to watch Duddy fight on the undercard of next Saturday's Wladimir Klitschko-Sultan Ibragimov undercard at the Garden.

Arum said Pavlik-Duddy would be an HBO fight, possibly with middleweight titlist Arthur Abraham on the undercard to give him exposure ahead of a possible fall fight with Pavlik. Abraham's next defense, announced Friday, will come March 29 in Kiel, Germany, against Elvin Ayala, who is coming off a draw with first-season "Contender" winner Sergio Mora.

Pavlik-Trinidad would be an HBO PPV fight, Arum said.

There is concern about whether Trinidad can make 160 pounds. He struggled to make 170 for Jones. But Arum said the fight would have to be at 160.

Pavlik is unaware of the discussions, Arum said, but Top Rank's matchmakers and Pavlik's manager, Cameron Dunkin, are aware of the talks and like the match.

"If Trinidad can make that weight and provided the [revenue]split is right, we would love to make the fight," Arum said. "But I won't know for sure until I meet with King."

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.
PR316
I'm not too excited about seeing Trinidad fight young fighters in their primes. Pavlik is too much of a beast.

Tito should fight Oscar De La Hoya at 160 and if not, then retire.

In Tito's prime, this would have been interesting. But not now. Pavlik destroys him.
Byrd Man
Felix would have to come down to 160 though....I don't know...
BGv2.0
Man...if this don't get a fire under Taylor...NOTHING will. They are just tossing this out there as if JT is a total after thought....don't get me wrong...I know about the catch weight and even if he loses Kelly is still champion....but come on...Arum could have sat on this until Sunday or Monday.
PR316
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 15 2008, 11:56 PM) [snapback]378746[/snapback]
Don't write your boy off too quick. I actually think he would be in with a good chance against Pavlik. I could see either fighter win. They can both knock each other out. I just wouldn't write Tito off too quickly in this fight.

You know I love Tito. But man, I don't know. Pavlik is younger, bigger, stronger, probably a harder hitter at 160. Trinidad has power too and who knows, maybe he could land a nice haymaker left hook and finish the deal. But he stands risk to get hurt here if this goes through.
rusty_trombone
Is this some sort of joke?
BrutalBodyShots
I don't see why this fight would "have to be at 160" when Pavlik is fighting his fight tomorrow at 164 and Trinidad just fought at 170.2 or whatever.

Anyway Pavlik should be a healthy favorite in the fight, and would probably stop Trinidad in about 7.

kidbazooka1
Pavlik likes to mix it up alot which would play right into to Tito's game. At 160lb I give Tito a real good chance in his prime he would have destroyed Pavlik.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Feb 15 2008, 07:15 PM) [snapback]378756[/snapback]
Is this some sort of joke?

Co sign!

This would be a very brutal beating! Trinidad would have had to have beaten Jones and than have maybe 3 more top contender fights before even thinking of discussinng this match. This would be like Holmes-Cobb, yes, that bad. Pavlik would all but kill this version of Trinidad. Pavlik KO 4. Horrible, Horrible, mismatch.

Jack
D-MARV
QUOTE(PR316 @ Feb 15 2008, 06:51 PM) [snapback]378745[/snapback]
I'm not too excited about seeing Trinidad fight young fighters in their primes. Pavlik is too much of a beast.
Tito should fight Oscar De La Hoya at 160 and if not, then retire.
In Tito's prime, this would have been interesting. But not now. Pavlik destroys him.

thumbsup_anim.gif thumbsup_anim.gif
Agreed 100%
BrutalBodyShots
I've always been a believer in looking at past opponents that have beaten a certain fighter and what they have in common compared to the mythical matchup opponent being considered.

That said, all of the guys that have beaten Trinidad have something similar in common - they were all naturally bigger, stronger guys. I think Pavlik fits into this category as much or more than the others. Trinidad was in over his head at 160; 154 is probably where he should have stopped at although beating Joppy was a good notch in his belt. Fighting above 160 though, especially years past prime is just asking for trouble. Anyway Trinidad loses to top guys that are 2+ divisions above his capped weight, and that is what Pavlik is.

Mino
Everyone on here had Jones with a devastaiting ko over Tito, and I mean everyone, while he lost he did not look that bad for someone who fights as infrequently as he does...so this is no gimme for Kelly
Byrd Man
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 15 2008, 09:30 PM) [snapback]378761[/snapback]
I don't see why this fight would "have to be at 160" when Pavlik is fighting his fight tomorrow at 164 and Trinidad just fought at 170.2 or whatever.

Anyway Pavlik should be a healthy favorite in the fight, and would probably stop Trinidad in about 7.

Not sure if you were questioning ME putting the 160 out there, or the article but here's what the article said:

There is concern about whether Trinidad can make 160 pounds. He struggled to make 170 for Jones. But Arum said the fight would have to be at 160.
BigG
Screw this. Tito just got the shit beaten out of him by Roy Jones Jr...and before that, he got a beating against Winky Wright.

He hasn't won a fight since 2004.
JD
QUOTE(Mino @ Feb 16 2008, 12:45 AM) [snapback]378771[/snapback]
Everyone on here had Jones with a devastaiting ko over Tito, and I mean everyone, while he lost he did not look that bad for someone who fights as infrequently as he does...so this is no gimme for Kelly

Not everyone.

Some of us had Jones by decision. Though the people who had Jones by KO were infinitely closer to reality in their call than those who took Tito by KO...you know?

Pavlik doesn't need the cards in this one.
salvador
Let's see if Tito can beat Miranda or Pascal before putting him in with Pavlik.

If Tito gets in the ring with Pavlik next it's another way of saying that Don King is just milking his fighter regardless of what's in Tito's best interests. I really hope Tito isn't so far in debt that he needs to fight just to break even. This fight makes no sense for him. Pavlik's jab will destroy him.
AKay
the fight would have to be at 160 because Pavlik would be defending the MW championship.
Tonights fight is for nothing really its being contested at 164. Im sure it will be for something to make it a 12 rounder but not for the MW belts.
So win or lose for Pavlik tonight he still retains the MW championship.

Regardless how the fights turn out there is a reason Pavlik vs Tito would be HBO PPV and Pavlik vs Duddy would be WCB.
BigG
I dont like this for Tito. I respect him as a HOF and I dont want to see him end his career with 3 devastating losses...I agree with Sal, put Tito in with Duddy or someone he can KO easily so he at can at least get a win.

I personally thought Tito looked kind of good against Jones....he was outclassed. He was too weak, small, and slow for Roy but IMO he hasnt faded much at all since the Mayorga/Wright fights.
TheWhiteBuffalo
I am glad that the Heavyweights keep this sport going....

Really, what is the point of this fight? Just an optional defense for Pavlik? All about money? It is just a big waste of time. A fight that will be on PPV for a half a million cheated people.

This madness has to end.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 16 2008, 02:05 AM) [snapback]378772[/snapback]
I see what you are getting at. But I feel Hopkins, Wright and RJJ would have always beaten Trinidad and they beat him because they were better boxers period. Regardless of size. While Pavlik is bigger, I don't believe he deserves to be put in the same sentence as Hopkins, Jones or Wright. They are all much, much better boxers than Pavlik.
I think I would lean towards Pavlik slightly, but I give Tito a good shot. Pavlik to me isn't on the same level, or even close to the guys that have beaten Trinidad. He is a pretty ordinary fighter. He is just big and strong IMO.

Hopkins is really the only PRIME guy that Trinidad lost to. Wright was pretty close though, and Jones was no where near it. I don't see a problem with putting Pavlik in the same sentence with the Jones that Trinidad faced. A prime Jones, hell no. And certainly not a prime Hopkins. I don't really think the Wright or Jones that faced Trinidad was any better than the current prime version of Pavlik.

I guess I don't see it much as a style thing but more as Trinidad's ability to take big shots. I see no way that Trinidad stands up to Pavlik's right hand.

streetlion1
It would be pointless for this fight to happen!! I dont see Tito lasting more than 4 rounds against Pavlik!
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 16 2008, 05:42 PM) [snapback]378855[/snapback]
I actually think Wright is much better than Pavlik

Who would you take in a mythical Wright/Pavlik matchup anywhere from 160-168 and why?

gods son
who comes up with this trash???

why not get winky to face pavlik???

streetlion1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 16 2008, 04:49 PM) [snapback]378857[/snapback]
Who would you take in a mythical Wright/Pavlik matchup anywhere from 160-168 and why?

If I may chime in....this is a great question...it may deserve a thread all its own. I would see it as follows.....Winky walking Pavlik down with kelly pounding on his guard with those straight rights and jabs...winky effectively countering with his own jab of course not being able to hurt Pavlik but still out boxing him....what little legs Wink has left eventually will fade into nothing and Pav is able to cause some damage...however I'd take Winky by U.D....his defense is still great and I dont feel Pav would be able to out-box him which is what he'd have to do to win. It for sure is a fight I'd like to see though!!! thumbsup_anim.gif
RealPuya
I would not miss this fight!!! But it will be the same shit that happened against Roy…if Pavlik can take Trinidad punch…is over, Pavlik would KO Trinidad in 5 rounds…even doe I agreed with Fitz…this is the only fight Trinidad has a chance to win.
Tha Docta
no idea why people arent giving tito a chance in this one. pavlik is not going to be shaking his ass and dancing around the ring. hes going to be right there in front of tito. I am actually excited about this fight and I give tito a decent chance at an upset.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Feb 18 2008, 01:18 PM) [snapback]379209[/snapback]
no idea why people arent giving tito a chance in this one. pavlik is not going to be shaking his ass and dancing around the ring. hes going to be right there in front of tito. I am actually excited about this fight and I give tito a decent chance at an upset.

Bad for Tito because he isnt gonna have the chin to hold up under those right hands of Pavlik....I doubt Tito can hurt Kelly.
Big Slim Sweet
I agree I'm surprised so many people view this as a mismatch. Pavlik is the PERFECT opponent for Tito.

That said I'd take Kelly to demolish him inside of 5. LOL. But it would be action packed while it lasted.
WolfishPromistah
I get the impression that, as a natural middleweight, Kelly Pavlik is simply stronger than Felix Tito Trinidad, as much as I respect the career of the PR superstar. And I will not be in the least bit surprised if going back down in weight almost kills Trinidad anyway, who I just don't feel is as comfortable as Kelly at that weight and above. Both guys throw straight shots, but Kelly is the longer of the two, throwing more punches than Tito per round, and Tito is not going to be able to come away with the same effect just bombing against Kelly Pavlik the way he would against shorter guys. So this fight will just be the reversal in that aspect. Sorry, but Tito will be slam knocked the "fawk" out. So get used to the thought.
PR316
This would have been such an interesting fight if Trinidad was in his prime due to the styles. But Pavlik's size, strenght, youth, and pace are too much for Trinidad at this point. Pre-Hopkins Tito even I would have only slightly favored. Trinidad never fought a puncher on Pavlik's level. If Tito could hurt Pavlik, he stands a strong shot at finishing him. But it would take alot from Tito to do that. And Im not sure at this point that he can.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(gods son @ Feb 16 2008, 11:24 PM) [snapback]378862[/snapback]
who comes up with this trash???

why not get winky to face pavlik???

What does Winky bring to the table?

Money?
Presige?
Legacy?
Guarenteed PPV revenue?

HE BRINGS NOTHING AT ALL TO THE TABLE.
BrutalBodyShots
Taylor was able to hurt Pavlik moreso due to his handspeed than his power though, so I'm not sure it's as simple as comparing Trinidad and Taylor's punching power. Trinidad could never put together a string of punches with the speed of those that Taylor was throwing that finally put Pavlik down.

I think Trinidad could hurt Pavlik if the left hook lands, just like it would probably hurt just about everyone... I just think Taylor's handspeed gives him a better chance of landing than Trinidad has of landing that left hook.

BigG
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 20 2008, 01:17 AM) [snapback]379343[/snapback]
What does Winky bring to the table?

Money?
Presige?
Legacy?
Guarenteed PPV revenue?

HE BRINGS NOTHING AT ALL TO THE TABLE.

Winky brings legacy.
Nobudius
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 20 2008, 02:47 AM) [snapback]379371[/snapback]
Winky brings legacy.

lol-it's a resume builder, but a legacy? Winky & the word "legacy" don't seem like a match.

Btw, Pavlik violently knocks Tito the fook out. Has Tito done anything of late to make people think otherwise?

If we take Tito from around the Joppy bout, I would say it's a good fight with fireworks-and even then, I wouldn't necessarily favor Trinidad. These two get hit. Alot.
BigG
I can't find too many people around 160-175 better then Winky...so I'd say yes..legacy.
Nobudius
A legacy...or a known name?

There IS a difference. For me anyway.
Big Slim Sweet
I agree with BG - Winky still brings legacy. To imply he's just a name at this point the way someone like JCC was when he fought Tszyu is wrong.
Nobudius
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Feb 20 2008, 12:26 PM) [snapback]379430[/snapback]
I agree with BG - Winky still brings legacy. To imply he's just a name at this point the way someone like JCC was when he fought Tszyu is wrong.

Well, I didn't "imply" it that far. But Winky is obviously past his prime, and past his best weight. Legacy is a stroooong word.

Read Pavlik wants to unify the division-which is cool in my book. If that is what he wants as his legacy, I'm all for it.
Yucayeke
I would go more with Resume builder than legacy if he fights and beats winky. Same as Tito at this point. Now, if Tito were to Tag Kelly and get the upset then it definitely adds to Trinidad's legacy. Now if Tito lost a close fight, then I would say it does nothing to harm his legacy at this point, since he is obviously out of prime, yet taking on a top 10 type guy
Mino
[quote name='Nobudius' date='Feb 20 2008, 10:27 AM' post='379414']
lol-it's a resume builder, but a legacy? Winky & the word "legacy" don't seem like a match.

Btw, Pavlik violently knocks Tito the fook out. Has Tito done anything of late to make people think otherwise?

If we take Tito from around the Joppy bout, I would say it's a good fight with fireworks-and even then, I wouldn't necessarily favor Trinidad. These two get hit.
Mino
QUOTE(Mino @ Feb 24 2008, 04:45 AM) [snapback]379838[/snapback]
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Feb 20 2008, 10:27 AM) [snapback]379414[/snapback]

If we take Tito from around the Joppy bout, I would say it's a good fight with fireworks-and even then, I wouldn't necessarily favor Trinidad. These two get hit.

The Tito that fought Joppy would desrtoy Kelly...
Nobudius
B/c Joppy and Pavlik are so similar, right?
Romulus9
I stopped reading when I saw "Winky" and "legacy" in the same sentence.

Winky ate right hands straight down the pike from Taylor and Hopkins all night long. Pavlik hits much harder than both of them. His face would be bloody and swollen after dealing with Pavlik... and then he'd bitch and complain about the decision in typical Winky fashion. The thread on here earlier is where he belongs, the one about fighters getting too much credit for a win... Winky over Trinidad. I thought he lost the second Mosley fight, he lost to Taylor (wouldn't have been in question had JT just stayed in the middle of the ring), and the only fight he lost that he should have won was against Vargas. What a legacy! WOOO!

Wait a second...

Bitchy interviews... THAT is Winky's legacy.

As for Tito? What has he done to even merit a title shot against Kelly? It must have been that win over Mayorga. Pavlik by KO in the first half of the fight. Trinidad retires again... but we'll see him in the ring in 2011, fighting as a heavyweight.

Here's an idea. Let Pavlik fight Tito and knock him cold on PPV with 700K buyers. Let Winky fight Cory Spinks and and give 5 dollars to anyone who can stay awake throughout.
streetlion1
QUOTE(wvu8893 @ Feb 24 2008, 10:56 AM) [snapback]379867[/snapback]
I stopped reading when I saw "Winky" and "legacy" in the same sentence.

Winky ate right hands straight down the pike from Taylor and Hopkins all night long. Pavlik hits much harder than both of them. His face would be bloody and swollen after dealing with Pavlik... and then he'd bitch and complain about the decision in typical Winky fashion. The thread on here earlier is where he belongs, the one about fighters getting too much credit for a win... Winky over Trinidad. I thought he lost the second Mosley fight, he lost to Taylor (wouldn't have been in question had JT just stayed in the middle of the ring), and the only fight he lost that he should have won was against Vargas. What a legacy! WOOO!

Wait a second...

Bitchy interviews... THAT is Winky's legacy.

As for Tito? What has he done to even merit a title shot against Kelly? It must have been that win over Mayorga. Pavlik by KO in the first half of the fight. Trinidad retires again... but we'll see him in the ring in 2011, fighting as a heavyweight.

Here's an idea. Let Pavlik fight Tito and knock him cold on PPV with 700K buyers. Let Winky fight Cory Spinks and and give 5 dollars to anyone who can stay awake throughout.

Im sorry..I like Kelly but Wink would easily out box him. The man deserved the victory against Taylor. B-Hop is B-Hop and he makes everyone look bad. He beat Mosley clearly both times! Wink is still a top P4P IMO..any real boxing fan should appreciate his style.
D-MARV
I like Winky a lot and I still rank him P4P top 10 but this lay off is going to hurt him. He's getting older and Im hearing that he is walking around @ 185-190! So I dont know man this fight is a toss up. I can see Winky Jabbing his way to a close decision or Pavlik Dominating him in the late rounds to take the decision. I still got Winky over Kessler though! thumbsup_anim.gif
PR316
Winky's the much better boxer. His right jab and turtle shell defense will cause Pavlik some problems. The question is if at this point, this age, and with this layoff, could Winky get into good enough shape to hang with the much younger guy??... 2 years ago, I would have picked Winky no doubt. And if he's still as effective at 160 as he was then, I would pick him for sure to outbox and and outfox Pavlik. Wink takes a very good punch. But Pavlik will be throwing more punches than Bernard and Jermain were and he comes on strong late.

Tough fight for Winky at this point. Not that he can't win it, but it would be a tall order for him now.
BrutalBodyShots
Pavlik vs Wright would look a little bit like Soliman vs Wright, just that Pavlik can punch hard as shit which would give us a different result.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(wvu8893 @ Feb 24 2008, 04:56 PM) [snapback]379867[/snapback]

Woah is that allowing serious substance abuse. If so I may make it if it was a 10 rounder. 12 would be a stretch for anyone even on a coke bender.
PUERTOROCKS
I'd rather see Tito vs Palvik than Palvik vs Duddy.
salvador
Arum doesn't want Pavlik anywhere near Winky, at least not for now (read his B-talk interview today). Arum wants a spectacular, low risk ko for his champ, not a risky bout with a guy whose style is different enough that no one can say for sure what Kelly's chances would be. Not to mention that there's no money in a fight with Winky. Personally, I'd love to see Pavlik-Wright and I'd expect it to be a close fight.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.