Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins should have waited to fight Pavlik
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
KOpower
I think Pavlik would have been a better fight for Hopkins. I think more money could have been made for Hopkins and I think Hopkins would counter Pavlik to death. X would also make Pavlik's right hand vanish like a ghost. Zaghe will be a much, much harder fight for Papa Hopkins to win.
streetlion1
QUOTE(KOpower @ Feb 16 2008, 11:21 PM) [snapback]378925[/snapback]
I think Pavlik would have been a better fight for Hopkins. I think more money could have been made for Hopkins and I think Hopkins would counter Pavlik to death. X would also make Pavlik's right hand vanish like a ghost. Zaghe will be a much, much harder fight for Papa Hopkins to win.

Oh no Joe isnt gonna be harder for B-Hop to beat!! B-Hop will handle Joe with ease...mark my words. He wont be able to use his fast hands and his power is nothing to be scared of!! Pavlik would offer a better challenge cause of his power, straight ahead style and jab.
PR316
Styleswise, Pavlik is pretty good for Hopkins. Pretty conventional and straight forward like Trinidad with his jab, straight right, left hook, and consistent pressure that provides openings.

This isn't to say Pavlik isn't good. He's very good. But B-Hop knows how to deal with straight forward fighters like him.
KOpower
Taylor beat Hopkins (yes, he won both fights) because Taylor was the better athlete and Hopkins had a hard time overcoming that. The same happened with Roy Jones and the same will happen with Joe. Joe is a very good athlete in the ring. As for Pavlik's power, when have you ever seen Hopkins be bothered by someone with strong power alone? Never. He is way too good on the defensive side. And I don't want to hear that Hopkins can't handle a bigger, stronger fighter because Hopkins school'd a very big, strong, southpaw Light Heavyweight in Antonio Tarver. I just think Pavlik leaves himself wide-open to be counter'd and Hopkins is a natural counter-puncher. I also think Hopkins is too good on defense to get beat by the very basic 1-2 of Pavlik's jab-right had.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pavlik. I lived in Youngstown during one time and my good friend has sparred with Kelly on multiple occasions. I have been drinking with Pavlik and we even watched the Super Bowl at his place a few years ago.
Fitz
Hopkins would do very well with a fighter like Pavlik. Pavlik will do well against fighters that go after him and stand in front of him. Pavlik isn't that great of a boxer and will lose to a good boxer that can counter and move well. Someone like Hopkins.
Warlord
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 17 2008, 12:26 AM) [snapback]378928[/snapback]
Oh no Joe isnt gonna be harder for B-Hop to beat!! B-Hop will handle Joe with ease...mark my words. He wont be able to use his fast hands and his power is nothing to be scared of!!

Care to explain that one a little more in depth, Nostradamus?
PR316
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 17 2008, 05:26 AM) [snapback]378928[/snapback]
Oh no Joe isnt gonna be harder for B-Hop to beat!! B-Hop will handle Joe with ease...mark my words. He wont be able to use his fast hands and his power is nothing to be scared of!! Pavlik would offer a better challenge cause of his power, straight ahead style and jab.

I don't know, man. I really don't see how Pavlik's style would be harder for Hopkins to deal with than Calzaghe's style. Whereas Pavlik is pretty conventional and straight forward, Calzaghe is awkward and all over the place. Calzaghe is definitely not just better than Pavlik, but a harder style to decipher.
streetlion1
QUOTE(KOpower @ Feb 16 2008, 11:31 PM) [snapback]378932[/snapback]
Taylor beat Hopkins (yes, he won both fights) because Taylor was the better athlete and Hopkins had a hard time overcoming that. The same happened with Roy Jones and the same will happen with Joe. Joe is a very good athlete in the ring. As for Pavlik's power, when have you ever seen Hopkins be bothered by someone with strong power alone? Never. He is way too good on the defensive side. And I don't want to hear that Hopkins can't handle a bigger, stronger fighter because Hopkins school'd a very big, strong, southpaw Light Heavyweight in Antonio Tarver. I just think Pavlik leaves himself wide-open to be counter'd and Hopkins is a natural counter-puncher. I also think Hopkins is too good on defense to get beat by the very basic 1-2 of Pavlik's jab-right had.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pavlik. I lived in Youngstown during one time and my good friend has sparred with Kelly on multiple occasions. I have been drinking with Pavlik and we even watched the Super Bowl at his place a few years ago.

Well against RJJ B-Hop wasnt in his prime...if they fought maybe 5-7 years ago or even now it would be a different story. Against JT he just started too late..even though I thought he won both fights anyway. Im not saying B-Hop cant handle a bigger fighter..im saying I dont think Calzaghes style is gonna bother him! Pavlik would be a better challenge because of his relentless style. Watch once Calzaghe is forced to fight inside and gets roughed up with headbutts and that quick right he'll start to retreat..and then the ass-whoopin will begin. Pavlik would be the best chance at forcing b-hop into a brawl. I know B-Hops style cant be messed wit..thats Y he's my favorite fighter
Future_Champ
Pavlik would be the best chance at forcing b-hop into a brawl. I know B-Hops style cant be messed wit..thats Y he's my favorite fighter
[/quote]

You know i think that Pavlik fights a lot like Trinidad did so His style of fighting would be easy for hopkins. Pavlik is like Trinidad because they both apply presser comming forward with straight rights and jabs and throw good body shots. Hopkins likes guys who fight like that and they are perfect for his crafty counter punching style. Some guy on here said that Hopkins will loose to Calzaghe because he is more athletic the same way he lost to Jones and Taylor. First of all Joe isnt that athletic. Second it wasnt the speed that bothered Hopkins it was the fact that Roy and Jermaine are both counterpunchers and its always hard for a couterpunch to fight a counterpuncher, just like its hard for a southpaw to fight a southpaw. Joe isnt a couterpuncher he comes forward and that will play into Hopkins hands and i think hes going to surprise people by not only beating joe , but making it look fairly easy.
BigG
Jermain had quick hands/feet and a good jab and that troubled Hopkins......Pavlik - slow, pressure, big power..he might get picked apart by Hopkins in an ugly fight.
Future_Champ
Oh and i would also point out one thing....Everybody is talking about how many puches Calzaghe throws and this and that..blah blah blah.... I would like to point out that On Winky Wrights previous fight before he fought Hopkins, Winky threw over 1000 punches. but when he fought Hopkins he threw half of that.its hard to pull the trigger when you cant find a target....look it up ; )
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Future_Champ @ Feb 17 2008, 01:26 AM) [snapback]378980[/snapback]
I would like to point out that On Winky Wrights previous fight before he fought Hopkins, Winky threw over 1000 punches. but when he fought Hopkins he threw half of that.its hard to pull the trigger when you cant find a target....look it up ; )

I don't think it's so much about not being able to find the target as it is about getting sharply countered. I think sharp counters really discourage punch output more than anything.

Future_Champ
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 17 2008, 01:08 PM) [snapback]379040[/snapback]
I don't think it's so much about not being able to find the target as it is about getting sharply countered. I think sharp counters really discourage punch output more than anything.

Yeah thats true also....you know there have been a lot of great counter punchers, and people might think im crazy but i think that when it comes down to making people miss, and then staying in position to return punishment...Bernard is the best...Alltime.
Method
Oh and i would also point out one thing....Everybody is talking about how many puches Calzaghe throws and this and that..blah blah blah.... I would like to point out that On Winky Wrights previous fight before he fought Hopkins, Winky threw over 1000 punches. but when he fought Hopkins he threw half of that.its hard to pull the trigger when you cant find a target....look it up ; )

Yup. Just like Trinidad, Tarver, etc. They all throw anemic against Hopkins whereas the fight immediately preceeding they were letting their hands fly. Joe's gonna get beat, I think.

Joe is a better challenge for Bernard than Pavlik. Honestly, I think Hopkins beats Pavlik every day of the week and twice on Sun. The fight with Joe is much bigger, magnitude-wise, and much more lucrative, financially. Pavlik will be there with his "0" after Bernard is done with Joe. John Duddy, nor Felix Trinidad, will fuck that up.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Future_Champ @ Feb 17 2008, 12:14 AM) [snapback]378968[/snapback]
Pavlik would be the best chance at forcing b-hop into a brawl. I know B-Hops style cant be messed wit..thats Y he's my favorite fighter
You know i think that Pavlik fights a lot like Trinidad did so His style of fighting would be easy for hopkins. Pavlik is like Trinidad because they both apply presser comming forward with straight rights and jabs and throw good body shots. Hopkins likes guys who fight like that and they are perfect for his crafty counter punching style. Some guy on here said that Hopkins will loose to Calzaghe because he is more athletic the same way he lost to Jones and Taylor. First of all Joe isnt that athletic. Second it wasnt the speed that bothered Hopkins it was the fact that Roy and Jermaine are both counterpunchers and its always hard for a couterpunch to fight a counterpuncher, just like its hard for a southpaw to fight a southpaw. Joe isnt a couterpuncher he comes forward and that will play into Hopkins hands and i think hes going to surprise people by not only beating joe , but making it look fairly easy.

I agree for the most part! I just feel that the fight with Calzaghe is gonna be easy for Bernard...and that a fight with Pavlik..though it would be easy also would be a lil more of a challenge...thats just my guess. I cant wait to see Calzaghe exposed in this fight...I have a feeling he is gonna take a helluva beating!
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(Future_Champ @ Feb 17 2008, 01:26 AM) [snapback]378980[/snapback]

the reason that winky threw less punches against bernard is because of the weight. if they had fought at 160 winky would have whipped him good. that's why bernard didn't fight him at 160.
Future_Champ
[quote name='Thegreatequalizer' date='Feb 18 2008, 04:01 PM' post='379233']
the reason that winky threw less punches against bernard is because of the weight. if they had fought at 160 winky would have whipped him good. that's why bernard didn't fight him at 160.
[/

more excuses
streetlion1
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Feb 18 2008, 02:01 PM) [snapback]379233[/snapback]

No chance in hell! Nobody was or is gonna be able to Whip B-Hop. If anything had they fought at 160 Winky would've lost worse than he did!
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 18 2008, 06:29 PM) [snapback]379255[/snapback]
No chance in hell! Nobody was or is gonna be able to Whip B-Hop. If anything had they fought at 160 Winky would've lost worse than he did!

uh...haha. you're about to see b-hop get whipped in about 2 months.
BrutalBodyShots
Is this guy for real? Wait he's the guy with the low blow for his pic... right.

PR316
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 18 2008, 11:29 PM) [snapback]379255[/snapback]

Prime Hopkins is better than any version of Winky, so I agree that that B-Hop would have beaten him regardless. But the weight of 170 pounds is not Winky's best weight. He's quicker and sharper at 160 or below.

But Calzaghe and Wright are different fighters. Other than both being southpaws with high workrates, they fight very differently. Winky relies more on his jab and turtle shell defense, while Joe C relies more on pure hand speed and flurries of punches. Joe won't likely hurt B-Hop and I don't think his power is a threat to Hopkins anyway. But I think he'll outhustle him somewhat similar to what Taylor did, and I can see B-Hop closing strong and putting some hurt on Joe. Hopkins will find Joe hard to hit too I think. Joe is a very good athlete and is quick on his feet, which is why he can get away often enough with the flaws he has. It won't be easy for B-Hop. He'll make it competitive thats for sure. But I think he'll fall short in the end.
Thegreatequalizer
right. no one in the world could ever beat hopkins. because he beat tarver. and before that lost twice to a mediocre middleweight contender. and barely beat a fighter who was almost 3 weight divisions over his prime weight. he's totally invincible!!!
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(PR316 @ Feb 19 2008, 07:31 PM) [snapback]379340[/snapback]
Prime Hopkins is better than any version of Winky, so I agree that that B-Hop would have beaten him regardless. But the weight of 170 pounds is not Winky's best weight. He's quicker and sharper at 160 or below.
But Calzaghe and Wright are different fighters. Other than both being southpaws with high workrates, they fight very differently. Winky relies more on his jab and turtle shell defense, while Joe C relies more on pure hand speed and flurries of punches. Joe won't likely hurt B-Hop and I don't think his power is a threat to Hopkins anyway. But I think he'll outhustle him somewhat similar to what Taylor did, and I can see B-Hop closing strong and putting some hurt on Joe. Hopkins will find Joe hard to hit too I think. Joe is a very good athlete and is quick on his feet, which is why he can get away often enough with the flaws he has. It won't be easy for B-Hop. He'll make it competitive thats for sure. But I think he'll fall short in the end.

This is exactly how I see it. Very clear and valid post.
imperial
I am picking Joe on workratew but I can't wait to see what Hopkins comes up with to nuetralize Joe's speed ..I also wonder how many sneaky right hands will Hopkins land on Joe ..I can't wait for this fight !
BigG
Joe will be on the recieving end of some inside mugging/painful right hands when he steps in with the Executioner.
streetlion1
QUOTE(PR316 @ Feb 19 2008, 06:31 PM) [snapback]379340[/snapback]

Joe will look like an average joe when this fight is all said and done!
Nobudius
Still surprised at the number of people backing X. Waited to fight Pavlik? What, at 44 or 45?

His age is a factor in any current match up-call me a skeptic.
Method
Hopkins will find Joe hard to hit too I think.
Not with the way Joe wings his fucking punches. Kessler didn't find it hard to hit him. Brewer didn't find it hard to land that Jailhouse Philly Right hand (had Joe stumbling and bumbling in the 7th of their fight). Hopkins straight right down the pike wil find the target OFTEN.

Work rate is great for Joe fighting anyone other than Hopkins. Bernard's gonna take that away from Joe just ike he took it away from Tito, Taylor Wright, Tarver, etc.

Joe will get smothered, mauled, etc. Joe's inside game is not as sharp as Hopkins. His defense is not as good. His foot work and balance are not as good. Joe has never faced ANYBODY who is as comfortable in every inch of the ring like Bernard is. He's never fought anyone that can move as well as Hopkins does. Kessler stood in front of Joe all night. Not gonna happen with Hopkins. And even in standing there Hopkins can roll and avoid punches and come back with offense.

I think Bernard's gonna get him. It might not be pretty to watch, but it will be a masterpiece when you break it down and analyze it.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 19 2008, 10:52 PM) [snapback]379354[/snapback]
Yeah, the guy that was whining about how Cotto is a cheat and had to low blow Judah to win, even though his user name is "the greatest equalizer" and has an AV of a nut shot.

speaking of nuts, i'm surprised you could get cotto's nuts out of your mouth long enough to write this.

stay on topic! nobody cares about a couple of gossiping gooses.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Feb 20 2008, 09:52 AM) [snapback]379410[/snapback]
Still surprised at the number of people backing X. Waited to fight Pavlik? What, at 44 or 45?

His age is a factor in any current match up-call me a skeptic.

i agree. he hasn't been active and he's slowing down.
PR316
QUOTE(Method @ Feb 20 2008, 04:40 PM) [snapback]379423[/snapback]
Not with the way Joe wings his fucking punches. Kessler didn't find it hard to hit him. Brewer didn't find it hard to land that Jailhouse Philly Right hand (had Joe stumbling and bumbling in the 7th of their fight). Hopkins straight right down the pike wil find the target OFTEN.

Work rate is great for Joe fighting anyone other than Hopkins. Bernard's gonna take that away from Joe just ike he took it away from Tito, Taylor Wright, Tarver, etc.

Joe will get smothered, mauled, etc. Joe's inside game is not as sharp as Hopkins. His defense is not as good. His foot work and balance are not as good. Joe has never faced ANYBODY who is as comfortable in every inch of the ring like Bernard is. He's never fought anyone that can move as well as Hopkins does. Kessler stood in front of Joe all night. Not gonna happen with Hopkins. And even in standing there Hopkins can roll and avoid punches and come back with offense.

I think Bernard's gonna get him. It might not be pretty to watch, but it will be a masterpiece when you break it down and analyze it.

I agree that Hopkins will land. What I question is if he'll be able to connect consistently enough throughout the first 6-7 rounds so that when he does come on strong in the latter rounds the way he always does, will it be enough to get him the win on the cards. I also question if Hopkins hits hard enough to discourage Joe who has shown a pretty sharp beard against punchers like Mikkel Kessler and Jeff Lacy. Joe's power is not a threat to Hopkins I don't think. But his ability fight for 3 minutes of every round will make it hard for B-Hop.

A fast paced fight favors Joe, at this point. Despite Joe's technical flaws, he is a great athlete, much like Roy Jones, in that he does alot of things technically wrong but his athletic talents allow it to make it work for him. Joe is quick enough to counter over Hopkins right hand with his own left hand. And I think he's fast enough on his feet to avoid much of Hopkins' incoming blows. I'm more than sure he'll eat some straight rights and some uppercuts down the middle. But I don't see Hopkins having as many openings as he had agaisnt Trinidad and Taylor. Joe will provide some lateral movement and there will be some moments when Hopkins is chasing him.

If Hopkins gets some really good work done early in the fight within those first 6 rounds, then I can see him coming on strong enough and pouring it on late like a marathon runner to decision Joe. But I think Joe will be hard to catch for him. I think this will be a hard fight to score. The judges are gonna have to really watch this one. I think Hopkins will land the harder and more telling blows, while Calzaghe will land faster and in greater volume. And if its like that, the one who closes strong in the championship rounds will probably be favored. But if Joe is able to put alot of rounds in the bank early while Hopkins is getting warmed up, then its gonna be an uphill battle for Hopkins to climb to get a decision.
Nobudius
I don't want to go on a "too old" tangent here, but it isn't like Calzaghe is a young pup either. He'll be 36 in a few days-and his style is SUICIDE for slowing fighters.

Just something to think about.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Feb 20 2008, 05:56 PM) [snapback]379487[/snapback]
I don't want to go on a "too old" tangent here, but it isn't like Calzaghe is a young pup either. He'll be 36 in a few days-and his style is SUICIDE for slowing fighters.

Just something to think about.

His style is suicide?! Hopkins style has been suicide to everyone he has fought. He is the best at getting his opponents to fight his fight..and this fight will be no different! Once he makes Calzaghe slow down cause of his countering ability the fight will be easy. Am I the only one who sees whats coming here? Another impressive performance from Hopkins! I believe he'll beat Joe worse than he beat Tarver..Joe is too small for him..definitely has holes in his defense...and wont be able to handle the rough-house style. If all Joe is gonna rely on is his work-rate than he is in for a beating once that is taken from him!
Nobudius
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 23 2008, 03:29 AM) [snapback]379689[/snapback]
His style is suicide?! Hopkins style has been suicide to everyone he has fought. He is the best at getting his opponents to fight his fight..and this fight will be no different! Once he makes Calzaghe slow down cause of his countering ability the fight will be easy. Am I the only one who sees whats coming here? Another impressive performance from Hopkins! I believe he'll beat Joe worse than he beat Tarver..Joe is too small for him..definitely has holes in his defense...and wont be able to handle the rough-house style. If all Joe is gonna rely on is his work-rate than he is in for a beating once that is taken from him!

READ what I posted.

I mentioned that Calzaghe is no young pup.

They are BOTH slowing fighters.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Feb 23 2008, 10:25 AM) [snapback]379706[/snapback]
READ what I posted.

I mentioned that Calzaghe is no young pup.

They are BOTH slowing fighters.

Yeah I know but I just am not seeing Joe as a threat to B-Hop. He hasnt fought anyone but an over-rated Jeff Lacey and a Kessler. Both of whom cant lace Bernards boots. Alot of people are trying to bring up Joes work-rate..but against one of the best defenders and counter-punchers in boxing that style wont do shit. prepare for a massacre..an ass whoopin like Tarver got.
Nobudius
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 23 2008, 12:41 PM) [snapback]379718[/snapback]
Yeah I know but I just am not seeing Joe as a threat to B-Hop. He hasnt fought anyone but an over-rated Jeff Lacey and a Kessler. Both of whom cant lace Bernards boots. Alot of people are trying to bring up Joes work-rate..but against one of the best defenders and counter-punchers in boxing that style wont do shit. prepare for a massacre..an ass whoopin like Tarver got.

I still don't think you are comprehending what I said. You are calling me out on something I didn' even mention.

I said Calaghe is ALSO slowing down to counter the people that believe he will outwork Hopkins. Calzaghe's style is based largely on his athleticism, & when that slows, it can be "suicide".
streetlion1
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Feb 23 2008, 12:58 PM) [snapback]379731[/snapback]
I still don't think you are comprehending what I said. You are calling me out on something I didn' even mention.

I said Calaghe is ALSO slowing down to counter the people that believe he will outwork Hopkins. Calzaghe's style is based largely on his athleticism, & when that slows, it can be "suicide".

Wasnt really calling you out on my last post...just elaborating on how I think the fight will go. I got what you said.
PR316
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 23 2008, 05:41 PM) [snapback]379718[/snapback]

Very short sighted on your part. Just like you cannot compare Kessler to Hopkins, you cannot compare Tarver to Calzaghe. Two VERY DIFFERENT fighters. Extremely different. The only thing they have in common is that they're southpaws.

Tarver is a COUNTER PUNCHER.... He is notorious for letting fights slip away that he has in the bag(Jones I and Johnson I). He has no jab, no footwork, no infighting ability, and he fades late.

And don't fool yourself. Hopkins didn't really look that good against Winky Wright. It was very ugly, albeit effective. His legs are gone and he cannot pull the trigger as fast as he used to be able to. He can't beat Calzaghe to the punch for 12 rounds, and I don't see how he can discourage Calzaghe with his power.

B-Hop's best bet is to make this as ugly as possible on the inside. Don't allow Calzaghe any space at all, and work consistently for 12 rounds on the inside. A few years ago, B-Hop was the prototype for this but I think he's picked the wrong opponent at this time for him. He's facing a guy who's faster, more athletic, and more energetic than him. And unlike Jermain Taylor and Antonio Tarver, he can actually fight a bit on the inside and he doesn't fade late.

Easy for Hopkins this fight is not.
streetlion1
QUOTE(PR316 @ Feb 23 2008, 03:29 PM) [snapback]379747[/snapback]
Very short sighted on your part. Just like you cannot compare Kessler to Hopkins, you cannot compare Tarver to Calzaghe. Two VERY DIFFERENT fighters. Extremely different. The only thing they have in common is that they're southpaws.
Tarver is a COUNTER PUNCHER.... He is notorious for letting fights slip away that he has in the bag(Jones I and Johnson I). He has no jab, no footwork, no infighting ability, and he fades late.
And don't fool yourself. Hopkins didn't really look that good against Winky Wright. It was very ugly, albeit effective. His legs are gone and he cannot pull the trigger as fast as he used to be able to. He can't beat Calzaghe to the punch for 12 rounds, and I don't see how he can discourage Calzaghe with his power.
B-Hop's best bet is to make this as ugly as possible on the inside. Don't allow Calzaghe any space at all, and work consistently for 12 rounds on the inside. A few years ago, B-Hop was the prototype for this but I think he's picked the wrong opponent at this time for him. He's facing a guy who's faster, more athletic, and more energetic than him. And unlike Jermain Taylor and Antonio Tarver, he can actually fight a bit on the inside and he doesn't fade late.
Easy for Hopkins this fight is not.

All Calzaghe has is his work-rate and footwork....he isnt in the same league as B-Hop...and I say that even Winky would beat Calzaghe. Who has Joe fought to deserve so much credit? He has hid in Europe his whole career and has never fought a guy the caliber of B-Hop. I wasnt comparing Tarver to Joe...I was saying he is gonna take an ass whippin like Tarver did. No way do I see Joe trying to fight inside against B-hop..and though Hopkins might have slowed a bit his stamina is still great. B-Hop is gonna whip his british ass just like he said at the news conference! I wouldnt be surprised if he was able to stop Calzaghe in the late rounds!
PR316
Stop Calzaghe???.... I seriously doubt that. The last time Hopkins stopped somebody was in 2004 against Oscar De La Hoya. Jermain Taylor has gone 12 rounds with him TWICE , along with Howard Eastman, Antonio Tarver, and Winky Wright whom had never fought above the weight limit of 160 pounds before. Considering all that, there is just very little chance that Hopkins is gonna stop Calzaghe, a man whom has faced bigger punchers than Hopkins and has never been stopped.

On the subject of Winky Wright. He's great no doubt, but he lacks the hand speed and movement especially at 170 pounds that Joe C has. He's also a smaller guy than Joe and he doesn't have the late rounds stamina that Joe brings to the table. P4P Winky at his best is probably as good a fighter as Joe, but NOW????.... No way... Joe would beat Winky now. He wouldn't look that good doing it but he would do it in clear fashion.

AussieLad
Calzaghe is a bad fight for hopkins. Big win is coming calzaghes way
Fitz
QUOTE(PR316 @ Feb 24 2008, 08:29 AM) [snapback]379747[/snapback]

I kind of disagree. I actually Hopkins looked pretty decent against Winky. I'm not saying he hasn't slipped, but I really didn't notice him not having the legs. You are right about Hopkins not pulling the trigger as fast as he once did, but that is normal for a 43 year old or anybody aging. But that is why Bernard Hopkins is special. He improvises and adapts to counter his weaknesses.
I still think Calazghe will win though. Originally I didn't give Hopkins a shot in the fight, but I have come around and think Hopkins can make it a very tough fight, though I think he will fall short similar to how he did against Taylor, and the judges liking the more active fighter. Should be good though. I can't wait for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.