Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RJJ was in the crowd......
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
I know he talked about fighting the JT/Pavlik winner...you think he'll fight Pavlik after watching that fight?
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 17 2008, 02:13 AM) [snapback]378990[/snapback]
I know he talked about fighting the JT/Pavlik winner...you think he'll fight Pavlik after watching that fight?

He might at 168. Roy would have lots of success with his usual lead right hands and lead left hooks against Pavlik. I think Pavlik's jab would bother Roy some though, and without a doubt there would be those times where Roy would back himself into the ropes and Pavlik would unload on him. Whether or not a few clean Pavlik right hands get through is the question. Pavlik is a perfect opponent style wise for Roy in that he isn't very fast and loves to come forward. However the same can be said of Johnson, and we saw how that turned out.

Regardless, Pavlik will be heading back to 160 to defend, so I don't see this fight as a possibility any time soon. Jones would have a better chance of facing Taylor at 168 but being that Taylor just lost I don't think there would be much of a demand for that.

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I dont see Jones Jr. getting involved in fights with any of these guys. Pavlik is going to be in discussions with Trinidad, and I dont think Taylor is going to want to fight Jones at this point in time. I think Jones is looking more at the Calzaghe-Hopkins winner than this fight.
Kyle
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 17 2008, 11:59 AM) [snapback]379038[/snapback]
He might at 168. Roy would have lots of success with his usual lead right hands and lead left hooks against Pavlik. I think Pavlik's jab would bother Roy some though, and without a doubt there would be those times where Roy would back himself into the ropes and Pavlik would unload on him. Whether or not a few clean Pavlik right hands get through is the question. Pavlik is a perfect opponent style wise for Roy in that he isn't very fast and loves to come forward. However the same can be said of Johnson, and we saw how that turned out.

Regardless, Pavlik will be heading back to 160 to defend, so I don't see this fight as a possibility any time soon. Jones would have a better chance of facing Taylor at 168 but being that Taylor just lost I don't think there would be much of a demand for that.

Agreed,....It would be a match worth watching because of those factors, Roys right hand,... and Pavlik pounding on him on the ropes,...

QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Feb 17 2008, 12:24 PM) [snapback]379043[/snapback]
I dont see Jones Jr. getting involved in fights with any of these guys. Pavlik is going to be in discussions with Trinidad, and I dont think Taylor is going to want to fight Jones at this point in time. I think Jones is looking more at the Calzaghe-Hopkins winner than this fight.
Kyle

As he should. The ring magazine has him #7 PFP! (In the light heavywieght division). He should stick to his plan...He could fight a Danny Green (#6),... or even more interesting a Chad Dawson(#5)..........
Method
Jones ain't getting Pavlik next anyway. Don King has both Trinidad AND Roy, and guess where Don was? He wasn't around vegas trying to get Roy, who just beat Trinidad, the winner of last nights fight. He was down in PR trying to make Pavlik/Trinidad. Goes to show hoe mucvh of a draw Don thinks Roy is. That should tell Roy everything he needs to know about his marketability.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Feb 17 2008, 03:07 PM) [snapback]379066[/snapback]
Jones ain't getting Pavlik next anyway. Don King has both Trinidad AND Roy, and guess where Don was? He wasn't around vegas trying to get Roy, who just beat Trinidad, the winner of last nights fight. He was down in PR trying to make Pavlik/Trinidad. Goes to show hoe mucvh of a draw Don thinks Roy is. That should tell Roy everything he needs to know about his marketability.

Actually Don was in Germany watching his Russian Giant beat the hell out of Sergi!!
Method
Yes. You're right. But he went to PR first.
D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 17 2008, 11:59 AM) [snapback]379038[/snapback]

Wow! I actually agree with you Brutal
Pavlik isnt intrested in 168 right now! He is looking to Unify or fight Duddy or Trinidad!
Roy wont come down to 160 and I dont think RJJ is intrested in Taylor. The only possibilities I see for Roy is to Try and Snag one of the 175 belts or Wait on the Calzaghe Bhop winner.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Feb 17 2008, 03:45 PM) [snapback]379078[/snapback]
Yes. You're right. But he went to PR first.

Oh Ok, Got Ya
But you're right, I think Don King wants Pavlik-Trinidad @ MSG!
streetlion1
I hope RJJ does fight Pavlik so he can get his lame ass knocked out again and end his career!!
pastor method
i really hope pavlik-trinidad doesn't happen. trinidad fighting for the title having not won a fight in over three years? come on, that's insane.

pavlik should fight abraham or sturm... and at least a fight with duddy will be a shootout.

taylor should see if he can get in with someone credible he can outbox, like lacy. that's a competitive fight.

jones should retire. but if he insists on fighting, i'd say get a fight at 168 versus bika or berrio, prove you can beat a puncher who is still serviceable before you go after calzaghe (or hopkins, although he should retire too, not because he's taken any beatings, but because everthing after the tarver bout is just going to be bad, i think. he's already had that horribly boring fight with winky- a win- but to go into the calzaghe fight with the racist remarks and all that bs, it's just... bad)
Method
It was hilarious, in that post fight video on Fight Hype, Bob-Father got up and was talking either Duddy or Trinidad next for Pavlik as a title defense at 160, and you hear two reporters spit milk through their noses when Trinidad's name is mentioned and they go, "Trinidad? Whose gonna sanction it? Trinidad hasn't won a meaningful fight in years. What makes you think he'll get sanctioned?". The Bob-Father started tap dancing and back pedaling.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Feb 17 2008, 07:33 PM) [snapback]379064[/snapback]
...He could fight a Danny Green (#6),... or even more interesting a Chad Dawson(#5)..........

I wouldpay to see him stretchered by either man.
PR316
A fight with Jones and Pavlik at 168 would be interesting. RJ is still very fast and slick and Pavlik while powerful and strong, is slow and predictable. I think Roy would see alot of his shots coming and would be able to slip away alot of the time. But Pavlik could KO him if he lands flush.

But a fight vs the winner of Calzaghe and Hopkins is more lucrative.
imperial
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 17 2008, 08:02 PM) [snapback]379127[/snapback]
Jones will talk about how he would beat the winner of Hopkins/Calazghe, talk about how he is still the quickest and best fighter in the world and end up fighting Tavoris Cloud.

Tavaris Cloud is not to be underestimated !
BigG
RJJ wants a tune up then wants Jermain Taylor after that.
streetlion1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 18 2008, 12:17 PM) [snapback]379201[/snapback]
RJJ wants a tune up then wants Jermain Taylor after that.

JT beats RJJ by U.D. if this fight does take place.
BigG
Check the frontpage...Hopkins says Jones would beat Taylor at this point.
streetlion1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 18 2008, 04:14 PM) [snapback]379247[/snapback]
Check the frontpage...Hopkins says Jones would beat Taylor at this point.

I cant see that happening....JT aint no Tito..RJJ would have his hands full!!
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 18 2008, 07:49 PM) [snapback]379267[/snapback]
I cant see that happening....JT aint no Tito..RJJ would have his hands full!!

Full of what, Taylor's 38 punches per round that make him gas?

streetlion1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 18 2008, 09:51 PM) [snapback]379282[/snapback]
Full of what, Taylor's 38 punches per round that make him gas?

RJJ wont be throwing that many punches either. I wasnt impressed at all with what he did against Tito..once he tastes any of JT's power you'll see him retreat and just try to finish.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 19 2008, 03:45 AM) [snapback]379304[/snapback]
RJJ wont be throwing that many punches either. I wasnt impressed at all with what he did against Tito..once he tastes any of JT's power you'll see him retreat and just try to finish.

TRY and finish? I think you are confusing the two fighters with one another. Taylor is the guy that just fought Pavlik, you know the young kid from Arkansas. Jones is the guy that just fought Trinidad. Taylor is the one that struggles to finish fights... gassed against Pavlik 2x, Hopkins, etc. Jones doesn't have that problem.

Both do not throw around the same amount of punches (well below the norm) the difference is that Taylor does it because he CAN'T throw more without gassing and Jones does it simple because he's safety-first and selective.

If both throw the same amount of punches give me Jones' more accurate, sharp shots over Taylor's mostly wide, looping, telegraphed crap that Jones will see coming from a mile away.

And Jones doesn't have to worry about Taylor's "power" any more than he did Trinidad's.

Big Slim Sweet
With his ego back intact. look for Roy to price himself out of any big fights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.