Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JMM vs Pac
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
jp
It's been a while since I've rewatched their first fight, but I honestly remember giving Marquez 8-9 rounds after he was almost out of there in the first. Of the guys left at 130, I think that Juan Manuel has the style/gameplan to beat Pac, plus I haven't been impressed with Manny's last few outings. Pac's well documented lifestyle outside of the ring isn't going to help him any, and I think that the man's skills have already peaked.

I like Pacquiao as much as the next guy, I think his personality and fighting style are great for the sport but, at +140 I'm tkaing Marquez by decision.
Michigan Assassin
I didn't think the 1st fight was as one sided as many think it was, after the first round of course.

I've rewatched it several times and ever time I watch it I think Manny wins. I think its one of the few times that my scoredcard and Harold Lederman's were ever completely in sync.

I scored it exactly the sme way as he did.

Also a lot of people think JMM will have an easier time with Pac this time but I haven't been that impressed with JMM new style.

Sure its more fan friendly, which I can appreciate, but he seems to get hit a lot more now than previously.

The Jimrex Jaca, or whatever the hell his name was, fight is a good example. Now maybe JMM knew Jaca power couldn't hurt him but he sure was getting caught with a lot of shots that night.
BrutalBodyShots
I've got Marquez over Pac II by decision.

I see the fight being very similar to the first, except that Marquez doesn't have that shitty first round. That taken into account, Marquez by close decision.

kidbazooka1
Both guys IMO are looking a little more vulnerable than in there first meeting. Marquez needs to fight the perfect fight for 12rds if he can do that he'll take a decision.
BigG
I agree with Bazooka..

Marquez might be getting hit more but Pacquiao's last 2 fights have been a little unimpressive. Who knows, maybe he'll give another spectacular performance against Marquez. But Marquez is a good counter puncher and although Manny has improved skillwise, I still don't think he can outbox Marquez. Marquez is too good of a technician and counterpuncher for that to happen. I feel Manny is going to just pressure Marquez and try to catch him with big lefts and he might get counterpunched. I think Marquez might beat him on points but wouldn't be surprised to see Pacquiao stop Marquez.....I mean it almost happened last time.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 19 2008, 01:19 AM) [snapback]379298[/snapback]
I think Marquez might beat him on points but wouldn't be surprised to see Pacquiao stop Marquez.....I mean it almost happened last time.

It only almost happened last time because Marquez had less than a minute of experience in the ring with Pacquiao and got caught cold. Now Marquez had had 36 minutes of experience with him and knows what to expect. Aside from the first round Marquez was never near being stopped... I think that is how most of the rematch will look.

Big Slim Sweet
I believe Marquez's defensive skills have eroded slightly since the last 11 rounds of their first fight. As a result I expect this to be a better overall action fight than that one, and Paquiao to win, possibly even stopping Marquez late.
jp
IMO, the best measuring stick for this fight is looking at how the first one played out. Manny doesn't have that many layers to his game, he's going to come forward and use his speed and power to try and get you out of there. We already know that Marquez can couterpunch and outbox Manny and even though its possible for Marquez to get stopped, especially considering how the first rd played out in their last fight, I just don't think it's going to happen.

Marquez should be coming in as a confident underdog in this fight, he took everything that Manny had to give and I think that their second fight is going to look a whole lot like the last 11 rounds of the first. We'll see........Marquez 117-111 or 116-112 sounds about right.
hardhead
I agree with Michigan Assassin and Big Slim, Marquez in his last few fights has been very hittable then he used to and I think he's slipped a bit in a couple fights I saw since then. Even though Pacquio didn't look spectacular against Barrera I think he's going to be back to being the Pacman(I don't know if he was 100% motivated but he will be against Marquez), throwing lots of combinations and pressure overwhelming Marquez and finishing the job this time around, say late TKO(10) in a great action packed fight.

I was ringside for the first fight and it was a memorable experience. It's long overdue but at least it's happening...
BrutalBodyShots
I find it hard to pick Marquez to get stopped when he's never been stopped first of all, and second if Pac couldn't get it done with 3 knockdowns when he caught Marquez cold in the first I simply don't see him doing it.

Certainly anything CAN happen, but to me that result doesn't seem all too likely. I think the best pick would be Marquez by decision, followed by Pacquiao by decision. I think this is really a distance fight regardless.

mexi-cutioner
With the Solis fight, even though Pacquiao had a shitty fight, i knew he would win the entire time despite campaigning for governor in the phillipines around the same time as his training. In the barrera 2nd fight, Pacquiao took barrera lightly and had a very short training camp, causing him to come into the weigh in dehydrated and looking malnourished. With this fight however, I hear Pacquiao has been training as hard as he did during the Morales 2nd and 3rd fight and is serious about winning this one, unlike his last two fights. Pacquiao will come out hard, it will be close
torvix2000
A lot of people thought Pac wouldn't be able to knock Morales out in their rematch. They thought it would be a repeat of their first encounter. And when Pac did knock Morales out, it was because Morales was washed out.
BigG
I give Pac big props for the 2nd fight....but Morales was shot in that 3rd fight man. Way past it/drained/weak = disaster vs. a beast like Pacman.
torvix2000
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 20 2008, 10:40 AM) [snapback]379384[/snapback]
Ahhh yeah. You remember the Raheem fight in between? He was washed out and it was as clear as day light.

Did they fight?
BigG
Raheem gave Morales a beating...
Big Slim Sweet
Pacquiao gets full credit from me for the 2nd Morales fight. Say what you want, but Morales is a legend who had just beaten Pac soundly less than a year earlier. So for Manny to come back in the rematch the way he did and knock Morales out for the first time in his career (he was never even close to being KO'd before), that was absolutely huge.

Morales looked like garbage against Raheem in the interim fight but he was unmotivated and flabby, fighting at the highest weight of his career. And it's not like Raheem gave him anything close to a beating. He just boxed his ears off. I remember Morales looking pretty good the first five rounds of the Pac rematch - more or less like a replay of their first fight.

The 3rd Morales fight meant nothing for Pac though, I agree.
JD
Pac by late stoppage.

Nobudius
Hard fight to pick. These two haven't looked too crisp lately.... either Pac gets him late, or JMM wins a decision.

Shouldn't be PPV though.
kidbazooka1
Pac deserves credit for stopping Morales which had never been done but the fact is he stopped a past his prime Morales.

Morales was already slipping when he fought Pac the first time and was still able to beat him. Morales from the early 2000's would have whooped Manny much easier than he did it there first fight.
BrutalBodyShots
Morales had been in slow and steady decline since Barrera I.

torvix2000
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Feb 20 2008, 08:35 PM) [snapback]379471[/snapback]
Morales was already slipping when he fought Pac the first time and was still able to beat him. Morales from the early 2000's would have whooped Manny much easier than he did it there first fight.

Or possibly Morales of 2000's gets knocked out knowing that that version loved to brawl more than box. When he started slipping, he boxed more.

QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 21 2008, 04:20 AM) [snapback]379496[/snapback]
Morales had been in slow and steady decline since Barrera I.

While Pac was still learning from his mistakes or learning the things that should be done that he didn't do. GO TO THE BODY.
torvix2000
Look at my AVATAR. Pacquiao timed Morales' jab and went underneath it. Thing he didn't do in their first fight.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Feb 21 2008, 11:21 AM) [snapback]379520[/snapback]
Or possibly Morales of 2000's gets knocked out knowing that that version loved to brawl more than box. When he started slipping, he boxed more.
While Pac was still learning from his mistakes or learning the things that should be done that he didn't do. GO TO THE BODY.

Every fighter is constantly learning things but the fact is Pac was/is in his prime while Morales was on the decline big time.

Yes Pac timed Morales in the 2nd fight but Morales was also slower there for much easier to time.

torvix2000
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Feb 22 2008, 12:01 AM) [snapback]379551[/snapback]
Every fighter is constantly learning things but the fact is Pac was/is in his prime while Morales was on the decline big time.

Yes Pac timed Morales in the 2nd fight but Morales was also slower there for much easier to time.

You may want to read the thread - FIGHTERS THAT WERE GIVEN TOO MUCH CREDIT FOR A WIN.
torvix2000
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Feb 22 2008, 12:01 AM) [snapback]379551[/snapback]

Oh, by the way. Look at how Pac timed Morales' jab. He went underneath it before Morales could even fire it. It means that Pac knew before hand that Morales will throw a jab because he's seen it a lot of times.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Feb 22 2008, 09:47 AM) [snapback]379582[/snapback]
Oh, by the way. Look at how Pac timed Morales' jab. He went underneath it before Morales could even fire it. It means that Pac knew before hand that Morales will throw a jab because he's seen it a lot of times.

I see where you coming from and im sure he did watch several video On Morales prior to there 2nd meeting but I think Pac was going for the body shot regardless it just happen to land right when Morales was gonna jab.

kidbazooka1
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Feb 22 2008, 09:47 AM) [snapback]379582[/snapback]

Actually after observing your avatar closely I can see that both of them made there move almost at the exact same time Manny just got there first.
hardhead
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Feb 20 2008, 05:14 PM) [snapback]379427[/snapback]
Pacquiao gets full credit from me for the 2nd Morales fight. Say what you want, but Morales is a legend who had just beaten Pac soundly less than a year earlier. So for Manny to come back in the rematch the way he did and knock Morales out for the first time in his career (he was never even close to being KO'd before), that was absolutely huge.

Morales looked like garbage against Raheem in the interim fight but he was unmotivated and flabby, fighting at the highest weight of his career. And it's not like Raheem gave him anything close to a beating. He just boxed his ears off. I remember Morales looking pretty good the first five rounds of the Pac rematch - more or less like a replay of their first fight.

The 3rd Morales fight meant nothing for Pac though, I agree.

I agree 100% I give Pacqiuo lot's of credit for Morales II, regardless of the Raheem fight, Pacman blew Morales out and stopped him for the firs time in his career, that was impressive to me, also the reason why I'm picking Marquez to be stopped is because I feel even though he's won three in a row, since the John fight Marquez's defense seems to have declined considerably since that John fight, granted Pacqiuo didn't look great against Solis but I think that had more to do with him not being as up and motivated then anything else...
Mean Mister Mustard
Back in 2004 after their first fight I decided to compare both fighters attributes.

In the speed department, Paquiao takes it. Overall quickness Paquiao is faster than Marquez and now that Paquiao is slipping shots better and using his legs more I expect him to try to box Marquez same as he did Barerra the 2nd time. Whether it works or not, that's what I expect him to do.

Powerpunching, the edge goes to Paquiao but Marquez is right up there. Plus Marquez can hit with either hand, straight right, left hook, uppercuts and he is a sharpshooter. But Paquiao's speed gives his shots momentum which makes him a harder hitter.

Chin. I'd say they are equal but against each other Paquiao was able to take Marquez's best shots without wobbling while JMM went down 3 times. To his credit he did absorb them well later on in the fight.

Stamina, they are equal. Paquiao is a tremendous machine but Marquez is just as well conditioned. Usually Paquiao is stronger in the later rounds, against Morales, against Barerra but against Marquez they were still trading big shots in the late rounds. Marquez's conditioning played a big part in his win against MAB.

Combination punching goes to Marquez. Sure Paquiao's flurries are fast as hell but Marquez can mix in hooks and uppercuts, while Paquiao's combos are more straight one twos mixed with a right hook. Also Marquez brilliantly throws 3 punch combos in which the first 2 punches set up a big third one. Marquez in short, is more adaptable and versatile.

The thing that worries me is that Marquez has been getting hit too much lately and I don't buy it that he's doing it to be more fun. I also don't put much confidence in Paquiao's right hook. If he throws that right hook it will only give Marquez one more punch to counter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.