Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto tells Mayweather to stop making excuses.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Douchebag
Cotto tells Mayweather to
'stop making excuses!'
Miguel Cotto doesn't normally call out opponents, but the unbeaten WBA welterweight champion issued a direct challenge to WBC titleholder Floyd Mayweather earlier this week. "I have no problem facing the other champions from the same division," stated Cotto, "but they want to remain as champions. I am open to facing any opponent. When [Mayweather] wants and decides to fight, he knows that Miguel Cotto is here....stop making excuses."

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cotto's next fight will be against The Contender's Alfonso Gomez on April 12 at the historic Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ. Mayweather is expected to be out of action until a rematch with Oscar De La Hoya in September. In the meantime, Floyd is expected to be a part of the WWE’s WrestleMania XXIV event on March 30th. It is speculated that Mayweather will face seven-foot, 425 lb wrestler Paul Wight, better known as Big Show.
Friday, February 22 2008

streetlion1
Yeah...Cotto has been telling mayweather that for months now..Mosley has called him a chicken..even margarito has said PBF is afraid of him. He hasnt stepped up to fight any of them...instead he is saying "I have nothing more to prove" and "I value these years for my children" only to turn around and fight lesser opponents. It seems that right when he got around the best talent of his career he decided to Get Money and duck people. I dont like him for that fact...I dont believe he'll ever step in the ring with those guys (He beats Margarito easily)... Its clear that he really doesnt care about the Welterwieght title. I think this is gonna be the end of his In-ring career and he continues to find ways to make money other than boxing.

That aside im a big WWE fan as well...It was cool when Ali did it...Sugar Ray did it..boom boom Mancini..Tyson...alot of fighters and guys from every sport have been involved in Wrestlemania...Mayweather sure isnt gonna put himself into position to get hurt..so he'll team up with someone other than Mysterio and probably wouldnt be the one in the ring much. Cant wait to see how it plays out.
rusty_trombone
If this fight does happen, it won't be until at least the end of next year. C'mon guys, you know the business. Hell, for the money he's making fighting DLH again, i'd fight him again also. It sucks, but it's the way the fight game works. Nobody would EVER turn down a fight with DLH, all these guys calling Floyd a chicken and shit would be doing the same exact thing. If they offered Margarito, Mosley, Cotto, any of these guys, a choice between fighting Mayweather and DLH, I think we all know who they would choose. Cotto would stop all this wanting to fight Floyd shit in a hot minute, if DLH offered him a fight.
Spyder
Damn, I wish that Floyd would fight Cotto instead of DLH!!

That way I'd finally get MY shot at the DLH lottery...I wanna get rich too!!

laugh.gif
cole102
floyd says hes all time great he needs to fight the best not delhayo rwince and a small 140
fighter who collazo beat up.i wanna see this fight more then any other fight right now.
but hell never fight cotto.because hes knows hell b in a real fight that he might acually lose
Mean Mister Mustard
Great fighters who are in their early 30's never say " I have nothing left to prove." Especially when they are in a jam packed division.
hardhead
The DLH/Mayweather rematch is a fucking con job and I refuse to buy that shit and put anymore money in these asshole's pockets(specifically Floyd because he's is the top man in Boxing and I hold him to a higher standard, DLH because he had his fucking chance the first time and he disappointed me, plus he hasn't won a big fight in years) until they fight the fight the fans want to see, specifically Cotto/Mayweather.

That's the BIGGEST fight in boxing right now, and it's a shame that the fans have to wait this long. It should be happening later this year but now we have to wait another year(maybe) and that's praying that Cotto doesn't lose in that time and Mayweather says "see I would've beaten him anyway."

Plus If I have to hear another 3 months of "fight to save Boxing" part II I'm going to go insane.
hardhead
double post
dbdbdb
I like both Cotto & Mayweather, but as stated, boxing is a business and the goal of every boxer is to make that paper. If I had a choice of making another 50+million fighting DLH again as opposed to fighting Cotto, I would definately do it.

But, another thing to keep in mind is that Cotto should be careful who he calls out. Because you might just be calling for your first defeat. {aka Hatton} PBF isn't where he is by chance or by circumstance, the pretty boy is very, very good. And he has earned his place by beating everyone one that has gottten in the ring with him. Floyd has proven time & time that he can handle most if not all of what boxer's can dish out. So, let DLH & PBF milk the fans for one more money fight, then Cotto, your invitation will be cashed in.

Hardcore fans should know how the game is played by now, so I don't get the constant demeaning of PBF by some here who have been around awhile. In my mind, arguments like this clearly separates the hardcore boxing fan from novice. The hardcore fan has seen it all before so he understands that its all about the paper first, then legend. The novice just wants something to talk about, so he stirs up the same rap time after time just to get some attention.

For the novice: I wonder what name will pop up after Cotto. In your mind, until PBF is beaten, it doesn't count.

For the hardcore: You should know what time it is. Being a Legend don't pay the bills.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Feb 22 2008, 07:31 PM) [snapback]379643[/snapback]
I like both Cotto & Mayweather, but as stated, boxing is a business and the goal of every boxer is to make that paper. If I had a choice of making another 50+million fighting DLH again as opposed to fighting Cotto, I would definately do it.

But, another thing to keep in mind is that Cotto should be careful who he calls out. Because you might just be calling for your first defeat. {aka Hatton} PBF isn't where he is by chance or by circumstance, the pretty boy is very, very good. And he has earned his place by beating everyone one that has gottten in the ring with him. Floyd has proven time & time that he can handle most if not all of what boxer's can dish out. So, let DLH & PBF milk the fans for one more money fight, then Cotto, your invitation will be cashed in.

Hardcore fans should know how the game is played by now, so I don't get the constant demeaning of PBF by some here who have been around awhile. In my mind, arguments like this clearly separates the hardcore boxing fan from novice. The hardcore fan has seen it all before so he understands that its all about the paper first, then legend. The novice just wants something to talk about, so he stirs up the same rap time after time just to get some attention.

For the novice: I wonder what name will pop up after Cotto. In your mind, until PBF is beaten, it doesn't count.

For the hardcore: You should know what time it is. Being a Legend don't pay the bills.

PBF and DLH are alredy wealthy, now they are just getting greedy and trying to con the fans. Of course PBF will probably beat Cotto, but that's no sure thing and that's why fighters fight, to see who is the best. I don't think Hatton made a mistake about fighting Mayeather, he challenged the best fighter in the world and gave him fits. That's what real fighters do, they take challenges.

You are right, hardcore fans know how the "game" is played but only the less bright ones accept it and buy the fight. Same thing can be said about all 15 PBF fans.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Feb 22 2008, 07:42 PM) [snapback]379644[/snapback]
PBF and DLH are alredy wealthy, now they are just getting greedy and trying to con the fans. Of course PBF will probably beat Cotto, but that's no sure thing and that's why fighters fight, to see who is the best. I don't think Hatton made a mistake about fighting Mayeather, he challenged the best fighter in the world and gave him fits. That's what real fighters do, they take challenges.

You are right, hardcore fans know how the "game" is played but only the less bright ones accept it and buy the fight. Same thing can be said about all 15 PBF fans.

1. There's nothing wrong with a little greed. Hell!!! If half of the boxer's out there had any sense, they would be trying to be as greedy as they could be. We don't need to see anymore former boxer's in the news claiming broke after making millions hand over fist.

2. Boxer's & promoters have been conning fans for decades, so that's nothing new. Its the business of boxing.

3. The only mistake hatton made was thinking that his unpolished style would be effective against a genuine boxer.

4. Every fight is a challenge, even if its against DLH. He's older, but still is no slouch.

5. Entertaining the 15 PBF fans comment would be silly. Just Outright Silly!!!
hardhead
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Feb 23 2008, 12:42 AM) [snapback]379644[/snapback]

Exactly brah, I doubt the rematch does anything near the first either(i'm sure they'll try to pull some fake/wrestling antics(no pun intended) and hype this shit though). I also understand exactly what Mayweather is doing and why he's doing it. At the same time I don't have to respect that "particular" decision, swing from his nuts or pay for that bullshit. Separating the novice from the hardcore is easy for me though, the novice will pay for this joke. Like you stated Mayweather aint hurting for "paper" either when he's coming off three straight 7 and 8 digit paydays so I really can't see the money argument here(compared to a guy like Forrest who's been injured and is older and has never gotten that huge payday and is calling out DLH), especially when the Cotto fight will make a shitload right now. I give Floyd the respect in the ring, he's a bad dude no doubt, and as I already stated he is the TOP man in Boxing, but at the same time I also hold him to a little higher standard then the rest. You want that P4P #1 status(and be one of the greatest ever) that shit comes with the territory.

dbdbdb
QUOTE(hardhead @ Feb 22 2008, 08:00 PM) [snapback]379647[/snapback]
Exactly brah, I doubt the rematch does anything near the first either(i'm sure they'll try to pull some fake/wrestling antics(no pun intended) and hype this shit though). I also understand exactly what Mayweather is doing and why he's doing it. At the same time I don't have to respect that "particular" decision, swing from his nuts or pay for that bullshit. Separating the novice from the hardcore is easy for me though, the novice will pay for this joke. Like you stated Mayweather aint hurting for "paper" either when he's coming off three straight 7 and 8 digit paydays so I really can't see the money argument here(compared to a guy like Forrest who's been injured and is older and has never gotten that huge payday and is calling out DLH), especially when the Cotto fight will make a shitload right now. I give Floyd the respect in the ring, he's a bad dude no doubt, and as I already stated he is the TOP man in Boxing, but at the same time I also hold him to a little higher standard then the rest. You want that P4P #1 status(and be one of the greatest ever) that shit comes with the territory.

It is an obvious scam and it definately won't make nearly as much as the first. But to DLH's credit, he is marketing it well with the addition of a tune-up fight & adding floyd Sr. to the mix. But behind all that nonsense, its still a scam to get THAT PAPER!!!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Feb 22 2008, 07:54 PM) [snapback]379646[/snapback]
1. There's nothing wrong with a little greed. Hell!!! If half of the boxer's out there had any sense, they would be trying to be as greedy as they could be. We don't need to see anymore former boxer's in the news claiming broke after making millions hand over fist.

2. Boxer's & promoters have been conning fans for decades, so that's nothing new. Its the business of boxing.

3. The only mistake hatton made was thinking that his unpolished style would be effective against a genuine boxer.

4. Every fight is a challenge, even if its against DLH. He's older, but still is no slouch.

5. Entertaining the 15 PBF fans comment would be silly. Just Outright Silly!!!

1- A little? I wasn't even too high on the first fight let alone a rematch. And now they want to charge fans 50+ dollars for a sparring session? NO thanks.

2- Again, they have been conning fighters and fans for years, that doesn't make it right and fans and media alike have the right to criticize this fight.

3- Hatton should go back to the gym and learn to keep his glove tucked to his chin when he throws punches. Also cut back the lunging, you can get caught that way.

4- The first fight was competitive for 8 rounds, then PBF turned it up and beat DLH. What can DLH do to win the rematch? Bring a gun to the fight, poison Mayweather, make him fight with one hand tied. Any other scenario I am simply not interested in watching.

5- Yes it's silly because PBF doesn't have that many fans.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Feb 22 2008, 05:39 PM) [snapback]379633[/snapback]
Great fighters who are in their early 30's never say " I have nothing left to prove." Especially when they are in a jam packed division.

Sugar Ray Leonard did. he walked away for 3 years
J1GG
Rusty smacked it right on the head with that ray leonard line mayweather is great. but not the best of all time he will never ever be as great as ray leonard he dodges to much cotto would destroy him i know it
Nobudius
Leonard had a detached retina. I hate him as much as anybody, but he didn't pull the sh!t Mayweather is doing here.

Before his temporary retirement, he fought Duran twice, Dave Green, Benitez, Ranzany, Kalue, etc.....& unified with Hearns. I don't remember him saying he has "nothing left to prove", but it carries more weight than Mayweather saying it, no?
streetlion1
Well Mayweather said it after the Hatton fight...he isnt trying to call out any Welters...which means he is showing his cowardice...its pretty pathetic and bad for the fans. When it is all said and done if he retires after passing through a talent heavy division without fighting anyone he shouldnt be considered an all time great as he says he is!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Feb 23 2008, 05:17 PM) [snapback]379709[/snapback]
Sugar Ray Leonard did. he walked away for 3 years

Due to a bad eye & a coke problem.

PBF said on TV words to the effect of "When someone calls me out I gotta take em up". PBF is a fucking liar & I hope he gets a spinal injury at WM.
D-MARV
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 24 2008, 08:57 PM) [snapback]379932[/snapback]
I hope he gets a spinal injury at WM.

WHoa! cool down a little buddy... nono.gif
Fitz
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 25 2008, 12:57 PM) [snapback]379932[/snapback]
Due to a bad eye & a coke problem.

PBF said on TV words to the effect of "When someone calls me out I gotta take em up". PBF is a fucking liar & I hope he gets a spinal injury at WM.

BigG
Cotto-Floyd must happen either later this year or early next year.
Nay_Sayer
Cotto could have fought Mayweather when they were both @ 140, However, I don't recall ever hearing Floyd's name coming out of Miguel's mouth back then. Cotto needs to STFU with the whole stop making excuses BS.

If I were Floyd, I'd make Cotto wait....
Douchebag
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Feb 25 2008, 12:41 PM) [snapback]379989[/snapback]
Cotto could have fought Mayweather when they were both @ 140, However, I don't recall ever hearing Floyd's name coming out of Miguel's mouth back then. Cotto needs to STFU with the whole stop making excuses BS.

but your not floyd so shut the fuck up. black eye.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Feb 25 2008, 12:41 PM) [snapback]379989[/snapback]

Of course he didn't call him out, Cotto still hadn't fought any elite fighters. Back in 2004, when PBF was still with Top Rank, Arum was already dreaming of a Mayweather-Cotto fight.
streetlion1
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Feb 25 2008, 11:41 AM) [snapback]379989[/snapback]

Why make anyone wait if you claim to be the best and no one can touch you? If he waited for Mayweather he'd have to retire cause PBF doesnt have the set to step in with him!
BigG
Cotto could have fought Mayweather at 140, but as someone said, he was a prospect, and no way was Arum going to put his future superstar in with Floyd at that point.

Both are at the top of their game...this is absolutely the best time to make the fight. Cotto said he's ready. It's on Floyd now. Floyd has a busiy schedulle with his Wrestling show and the DLH rematch. Let's hope he does fight Cotto after the DLH rematch.
PR316
I don't think a De La Hoya rematch is yet signed. My understanding is that there's an agreement in priciple to the whole thing. I don't know what Stevie Forbes chances really are in upsetting De La Hoya(My guess is close to none as we can recall the Sturm debacle). But I wish Oscar would just go away. All he's doing now is fighting STRICTLY for the money. He's trying to milk every possible big pay day that he can while his name is still a big draw and I can't believe that his own fans can't see that. I ask myself the question if he actually believes that he can beat these guys like Mayweather, Cotto, or Forrest even. He was beaten clearly by Mayweather last year, and he didn't really look all that good against Mayorga either. I don't understand why he goes on honestly. He can't beat the top guys anymore.
BigG
I think De La Hoya is going to dominate Forbes.

Forbes is way better now then he was at 130 IMO but DLH will win a wide decision.
PR316
My guess is that Oscar will definitely win but in unimpressive fashion. From what I hear about the styles, I'm guessing it will be a pretty lackluster affair, with De La Hoya being the aggressor and Forbes overly defensive so that he doesn't get knocked out. I'm sure I'll watch it, but I would rather see a build up towards Mayweather/Cotto or even a De La Hoya/Cotto fight.
BigG
Interesting note: I believe Stevie Forbes was DLH's main sparring partner for the Mayweather fight...
PR316
Was he???.... Let me check out the 24/7 clips.. I recall Panchito Bojado, Shane Mosley, and I remember reading in the Puerto Rican newspaper about Ivan Calderon giving Oscar all he could handle in sparring.
BigG
I believe Stevie was Oscar's sparring partner. Gumzna gave him work too.
Nay_Sayer
Floyd should make Cotto wait. Cotto has been in a few wars lately since having moved up to fighting the elite, a trend I don't see changing. If I were Floyd, I'd get Cotto after he's been worn down a little from a few more tough hard fights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.