Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible Pavlik/Wright bout
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Southeastpaw
This is an intriguing match-up. I see Pavlik sort of as a big Trinidad. So it would be interesting to see if Pavlik could use his size and workrate to back Winky up. Or will Winky's style drop Pavlik's workrate and not allow him to get set. This is a Winky Wright fight that I would not mind seeing. The only concern for Pavlik is that Winky just may price himself out of the fight.
streetlion1
If Wink comes in shape..I expect him to easily out-box Pavlik on his way to a U.D. victory!
buford54
I'd go w/ Pavlik on this one. Wright looked like he was having a hard time taking all of Taylors shots on his gloves...Pavlik throws more, and he throws harder.
I don't think Wright can stand and trade w/ Pavlik and come out the winner, and I don't see his turtle shell holding up for 12 rounds either.
streetlion1
I dunno Wink is a much more polished boxer than JT so he would make Kelly pay alot more with his counters. Wink would catch Kelly with alot of straight rights and jabs...kelly would land on winkys arms. What JT lacked in boxing skill against Winky he made up for with athletic ability..not sure Pavlik can change it up when what he throws isnt working. We have seen him get up from being knocked down and come through that kind of adversity...but im curious to see what he does when someone is thoroughly out boxing him.
dj necrogenic
I think Pavliks straight punches could start doing some damage to Winky later in the fight.. And as history has taught us, due to Winky's fighting style, even an innaccurate puncher can outpoint Winky so long as he's active
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Feb 26 2008, 01:40 PM) [snapback]380122[/snapback]
I think Pavliks straight punches could start doing some damage to Winky later in the fight.. And as history has taught us, due to Winky's fighting style, even an innaccurate puncher can outpoint Winky so long as he's active

Nice point!!! I am assuming you are talking about Soliman.
Boxingjunkie
This would be a good match up for both guys. It gives Pavlik a good name on his resume if he wins and Wright needs a big fight to get back into the publics eye. It would be huge if Wright could win this one but I think Pavliks work rate will be enough to win a decision.

Boxingjunkie
The Boxing Fan
QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Feb 26 2008, 03:09 PM) [snapback]380125[/snapback]
This would be a good match up for both guys. It gives Pavlik a good name on his resume if he wins and Wright needs a big fight to get back into the publics eye. It would be huge if Wright could win this one but I think Pavliks work rate will be enough to win a decision.

Boxingjunkie

I will say this about Pavlik, he doesn't duck anyone. i have to give him props for it.
The Original MrFactor
I'd love to see this one if it happens. I think KP takes a lopsided decision here. All the reasons Taylor should have beaten Wright, KP will beat Wright. Too big, throws too many punches, hits like a mack truck. The difference is gonna be that KP doesnt retreat to a corner and let Wright get off. KP will be agressive from 1-12. I think KP sends Winky back to 154 to fight The Viper later this year...
Tha Docta
what are the odds of winky thinking hes the draw here and demanding a lions share of the purse?? the guy has 5 fans and has a serious misconception about how popular he is.

i dont think this fight gets made because of this. and pavliks trainer is already saying as much.

bring on kessler or trinidad.
BrutalBodyShots
I feel like Winky has been WAY too inactive to take a fight like this and he's not getting any younger. I don't see him beating the best guy in the world at 160 that's seemingly in his prime.

BrutalBodyShots
I'd take Pavlik on points. I think Wright would make it to the final bell, but even that isn't a lock at this stage of his career. Wright is in one of those positions where he's ripe for being stopped for the first time:

- Inactivity
- Fairly "old" in a boxing sense
- Fighting above his prime weight class
- Moved up and then down in weight
- Facing the heaviest handed fighter he has faced

I see this fight somewhat like the Soliman fight, but the difference being that Pavlik can punch. Pavlik won't fire quite as many punches, but his count will still be up there. Also Wright has nothing for Pavlik in terms of punching power, so Pavlik won't be tentative to let his hands go. Even though Winky won the Soliman fight it was no walk in the park, and I think that's a good fight to use as a reference point for a potential Pavlik matchup. Also that was over 2 years ago, and I don't think Wright today has what he had then in terms of life left.

Pavlik 116-112
D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 27 2008, 11:22 AM) [snapback]380253[/snapback]
I'd take Pavlik on points. I think Wright would make it to the final bell, but even that isn't a lock at this stage of his career. Wright is in one of those positions where he's ripe for being stopped for the first time:

- Inactivity
- Fairly "old" in a boxing sense
- Fighting above his prime weight class
- Moved up and then down in weight
- Facing the heaviest handed fighter he has faced

I see this fight somewhat like the Soliman fight, but the difference being that Pavlik can punch. Pavlik won't fire quite as many punches, but his count will still be up there. Also Wright has nothing for Pavlik in terms of punching power, so Pavlik won't be tentative to let his hands go. Even though Winky won the Soliman fight it was no walk in the park, and I think that's a good fight to use as a reference point for a potential Pavlik matchup. Also that was over 2 years ago, and I don't think Wright today has what he had then in terms of life left.

Pavlik 116-112

I dont think that the Soliman fight is a good reference point! Winky was so much bigger than Soliman and at times pushed him around the ring. Though Pavlik will have a high output his punches are more straight lined which Winky can pick off and counter. Soliman was jumping around like a monkey and his punches were coming from crazy angles. Kelly will come straight foward like Tito did. I do agree that Pavlik wont be tentative because of the lack of punching power by Winky. I give the slight edge to Pavlik but would not be surprised to see Winky get the nod.
Big Slim Sweet
I'd take Pavlik by decision as well, with Winky crying robbery all the way out of the ring.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 27 2008, 11:48 AM) [snapback]380255[/snapback]
I dont think that the Soliman fight is a good reference point! Winky was so much bigger than Soliman and at times pushed him around the ring.

Your point would only make sense and be valid if Winky were bigger than Pavlik. Obviously he isn't, so what are you arguing? Pavlik will be the bigger, stronger guy in the ring if he were to face Wright.

QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 27 2008, 11:48 AM) [snapback]380255[/snapback]
Though Pavlik will have a high output his punches are more straight lined which Winky can pick off and counter.

Since when does Wright "pick off and counter" when he fights? He walks guys down with his jab and high guard and that's that.

D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 27 2008, 02:02 PM) [snapback]380279[/snapback]
Your point would only make sense and be valid if Winky were bigger than Pavlik. Obviously he isn't, so what are you arguing? Pavlik will be the bigger, stronger guy in the ring if he were to face Wright.
Since when does Wright "pick off and counter" when he fights? He walks guys down with his jab and high guard and that's that.

Im not aruging that Winky is bigger than Kelly. My point is that Soliman is nothing like Pavlik! and that was a poor reference point.

Go watch some more Winky fights. He is a good counter puncher. He catches a lot of punches with his high guard then counters with Jabs and straight lefts.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 27 2008, 02:22 PM) [snapback]380292[/snapback]
Im not aruging that Winky is bigger than Kelly. My point is that Soliman is nothing like Pavlik! and that was a poor reference point.

Go watch some more Winky fights. He is a good counter puncher. He catches a lot of punches with his high guard then counters with Jabs and straight lefts.

I don't need to watch any more Wright fights. And if Soliman is a poor reference point, why don't you reference a better example of a Wright fight that could at all indicate what could happen if he faces Pavlik?

Method
I'd love to see Wright/Pavlik. I think Pavlik might take him, but I think it's THEE best fight at Middleweight. Unfortunately, even though Wink has stated he'd take a back seat as far as purse is concerned, Bob Arum is refusing to make the fight.

Hopefully Pavlik steps up and makes his promoter work for him, and not the other way around. Hey, Taylor did. Pavlik could.
BigG
You know, I thought Tyalor was going to dominate Winky because he was bigger, stronger, and faster but Taylor took a worse beating in that fight then Winky did.

Pavlik might beat him

People are saying Winky is past-his-prime, I disagree. I feel he is definitely nearing the end of his career but I dont think he is past his prime by too much. losing to Bernard Hopkins is no shame. Winky just could not solve the style of Hopkins and was taken out of his gameplan.

Pavlik is an easier fight for Winky then Hopkins is but the Pavlik's power could make a difference.
BrutalBodyShots
Taylor was way too conservative with his punches to beat Wright. If you're going to be conservative with your shots you'd better make them count like a Hopkins. Pavlik is going to let his hands go non-stop against Wright. Pavlik has the type of power that will hurt Wright even through his guard as the rounds wear on.

With respect to Wright being "past prime" I think the biggest indicator of that is that he gets hit a lot more now than he did earlier in his career. Aside from that he hasn't diminished offensively or anything... just that his defense (which was always his greatest asset) isn't what it once was. That's not a good thing when you're in there with a volume puncher like Pavlik.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 27 2008, 10:04 PM) [snapback]380421[/snapback]
Aside from that he hasn't diminished offensively or anything... just that his defense (which was always his greatest asset) isn't what it once was. That's not a good thing when you're in there with a volume puncher like Pavlik.

I don't know how he could diminish offensively.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Feb 27 2008, 10:09 PM) [snapback]380424[/snapback]
I don't know how he could diminish offensively.

By that I mean his punch output isn't any less, and he still has his jab and left hand.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 28 2008, 09:27 PM) [snapback]380554[/snapback]
By that I mean his punch output isn't any less, and he still has his jab and left hand.

yeah, i don't know if his punch output could go anywhere but up. he hasn't always been the most active feller in the ring, maybe he has but he throws a deceptive amount of punches.
streetlion1
Pavs people want no part of Wright...they know Wink would punish him and make him look bad. Kelly has proved himself to be a good fighter..but Wink is on a whole different level talent-wise..even though Taylor took him to a draw Pav isnt Taylor..he wont offer the same athletic challenge and doesnt present the challenge that Taylor gave speed wise. Easy U.D. for Wright! (Assuming he's in shape)
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 29 2008, 01:54 PM) [snapback]380621[/snapback]
he wont offer the same athletic challenge and doesnt present the challenge that Taylor gave speed wise.

The same athletic challenge? What challenge was that? Wright beat Taylor by walking him down and throwing 1-2's while Taylor was on the ropes and threw right hands to Taylor's body. What sort of challenge is that? Do you really think Pavlik would just stand there with his back to the ropes and let Wright get off shots all night long?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.