Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who will Oscar fight in December?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
So Oscar is fighting Forbes in May, Floyd in the fall, and then in December he's supposed to have a final fight.

So who do you think it'll be? I know it's kinda early to speculate because who knows who will win/lose in the meantime.

I think he'll take an easy fight to go out on. Make sure he goes out on a win. I can't see him fighting a top guy, I think his ego will want him to make sure he goes out on a win, and if he manages to pull off the Mayweather fight with a win, which is no guarantee, I don't think he'd risk fucking that image up, by losing the next fight, his final one.

BigG
I think it might be Ricky Hatton..
D-MARV
Ricky Hatton

Manny Pac

Felix Trinidad

Miguel Cotto
streetlion1
It could be any number of people...but since PBF wont fight Cotto..how about DLH doing it? That fight would make tons of money as well and would be a very good fight I believe.
Douchebag
trinidad
streetlion1
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Feb 27 2008, 01:31 PM) [snapback]380298[/snapback]
trinidad

That would be fitting..but can Trinidad get down to 154?...Cause we know DLH isnt going any higher than that anymore.
dj necrogenic
I just talked to Richard Schaeffer and he informed me they are in the late stages of contract negotiations for Oscars farewell fight... Both parties have agreed to terms, they are just waiting for the signed contracts to be faxed back from Yori Boy Campas' promoters
Romulus9
Smart money is on Felix Trinidad but I'm holding out hope for another DLH pay-per-view classic....

Oscar vs. a comebacking Chiquita Gonzalez
Big Slim Sweet
I say he fights nobody in December. Maybe Kostya Tszyu in May.
The CEO
He will fight someone he can beat...believe that.
Byrd Man
yeah that's my thinking too, although I think he honestly wants to take on Trinidad to make up for that cock up of his last time.

And I think he'll beat Trinidad.
PR316
Hopefully nobody. My wish is that Floyd gets him out of boxing once and for all.
salvador
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 27 2008, 08:07 PM) [snapback]380390[/snapback]
I don't know who he will fight, but he should fight Trinidad or Cotto.

I think it will be, or even Margarito if Marg gets past Cotto this summer.

As naive as it sounds, I really think that DLH has one last brawl in him and I think that he'd love to go out that way - to have that be the last memory the fans have of him. And that sure as hell won't be the Floyd fight.

And actually Ouma, a Golden Boy fighter, might be on that list as well. He's an action fighter without a huge punch who'd be cheap.
rusty_trombone
No way he fights in December, especially after he loses to Floyd again.
D-MARV
QUOTE(salvador @ Feb 27 2008, 07:15 PM) [snapback]380393[/snapback]
I think it will be, or even Margarito if Marg gets past Cotto this summer.

Margarito might not get past Cintron! But if he does and fights Cotto, then Cotto will put Tony in the Hospital with broken ribs, broken jaw, and broken spirit!
thehype
Mosley!

Remember where you heard it first
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 27 2008, 09:44 PM) [snapback]380418[/snapback]
He will. It's a lock in. The way Margarito made a grown man fall to his knees and ball his eyes out. I can't see how Cintron could possibly win. Margarito has such a HUGE psychological advantage over him, it's basically going to translate into a physical win by itself.

Agreed 100%

Boxingjunkie
If this is going to be Oscars final fight he will want it to be against a well know fighter, but someone who is way past their prime and an easy fight for him. Im hearing from several sources that the great Carmen Basilio has started training and should be ready for Oscar by December. You heard that here first!!

Boxingjunkie
BoxingStill#1
Trinidad...Delahoy 2... go out with a bang!.....Hey what if Delahoya losses all his fights this Year?!!!!! I bet that would look great on his legacy!
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Feb 28 2008, 06:04 PM) [snapback]380522[/snapback]
Trinidad...Delahoy 2... go out with a bang!.....Hey what if Delahoya losses all his fights this Year?!!!!! I bet that would look great on his legacy!

His legacy is not exactly great right now.
hitman
chavez jr.
PR316
My guess is this..

After Forbes in May, he'll take either Floyd Mayweather or Miguel Cotto on in September.

His last fight will probably be in early to mid 2009 against Felix Trinidad at catch weight of about 166 pounds or something and then win, lose, or draw, he'll probably hang em up.
streetlion1
QUOTE(PR316 @ Feb 28 2008, 08:03 PM) [snapback]380550[/snapback]
My guess is this..

After Forbes in May, he'll take either Floyd Mayweather or Miguel Cotto on in September.

His last fight will probably be in early to mid 2009 against Felix Trinidad at catch weight of about 166 pounds or something and then win, lose, or draw, he'll probably hang em up.

I dont think he'll fight past 08....he said this was his last year..3 and out. If he fought Cotto that would be a monster fight..but not sure he'd wanna risk going out with a loss. IMO if he fought Trinidad he'd tell him to drop way down...I doubt DLH fights at anything above 154 anymore.
PR316
Well Oscar has been saying for the longest time that "This year is my last in boxing" only for him to come back a year later.

One thing about Oscar is that he'll want to go out with a smash, win or lose. After he loses to Mayweather, I expect him to say something like "I just can't make the weight of 147 pounds anymore, even 154 is a tough weight for me to make". That right there will open the gates to Trinidad/De La Hoya II at a weight above 160 pounds. Oscar is fighting STRICTLY for money. He's getting every possible pay day he can while he's still able to fight, and just wants to give a decent account of himself. He doesn't care anymore about legacy(He's already a HOFamer) and he sure as hell isn't trying to take any huge risks without there being a benefit to himself(Which is why he avoided Miguel Cotto and chose to fight Forbes). Its possible Trinidad/De La Hoya II doesn't happen but my gut tells me it will. There is TOO MUCH MONEY involved for all parties involved to not be satisfied. Trinidad will easily pocket over 20 million(Probably more) and De La Hoya will probably make over 25 million.

If it isn't Trinidad, then I really don't know whom De La Hoya will fight honestly. Whom else does anybody want to see him against??... Forrest??... Nope.. Margarito??... Yeah right. He can't fight Mayweather a 3rd time and expect anybody to take him seriously. Cotto??... Sure but Oscar doesn't wanna go that route.

The only opponent that makes sense is Trinidad.
mexi-cutioner
Trinidad vs DLH II mid December 2008 at madison square garden on HBO PPV
buford54
It is possible...possible...that if Oscar is able to pull off the upset against Floyd in September that there would be a third fight in December.
With the way that Floyd's been getting involved in the WWE and scripted sports, and DLH is all about using drama to build up fights...it's even conceivable that Floyd throws the September rematch, losing his 0 just to make the 3rd fight sell-able.

Imagine the build up to that fight. Mayweather won their first encounter. DLH returned to his trainer, Floyd Sr, and came back a year later to win the rematch. Now, in DLH's final fight of his career, and Mayweather desperate for revenge, having lost to his own father...blah blah blah.
Mayweather would be able to convince a lot of people that he was going to actually go for the knockout.
It would be big...and I wouldn't put it past either of them to have that in the works.
streetlion1
QUOTE(buford54 @ Mar 2 2008, 09:22 AM) [snapback]381007[/snapback]
It is possible...possible...that if Oscar is able to pull off the upset against Floyd in September that there would be a third fight in December.
With the way that Floyd's been getting involved in the WWE and scripted sports, and DLH is all about using drama to build up fights...it's even conceivable that Floyd throws the September rematch, losing his 0 just to make the 3rd fight sell-able.

Imagine the build up to that fight. Mayweather won their first encounter. DLH returned to his trainer, Floyd Sr, and came back a year later to win the rematch. Now, in DLH's final fight of his career, and Mayweather desperate for revenge, having lost to his own father...blah blah blah.
Mayweather would be able to convince a lot of people that he was going to actually go for the knockout.
It would be big...and I wouldn't put it past either of them to have that in the works.

I dunno...no matter how much money Mayweather could make I cant see him coming to lose just to set up a third fight. -This fight I feel will be better than the first because of the involvement of Mayweather Sr....it'll be interesting to see what kind of strategy he has Oscar on after saying he is the only one who knows how to beat his son. according to the interview Sr. had he seems to think that because of his involvement this time that PBF will try to stop Oscar....if he does that and leaves himself open he might wind up in trouble.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(buford54 @ Mar 2 2008, 10:22 AM) [snapback]381007[/snapback]

I dont think PBF would allow a blemish on his record for a build up......If thats the case let make him the fight with Cotto....He would not only generate alote of money, but win back the respect of many fans......

Also I think the real fight fans are growing a bit tired of the same theme on 24/7.......
PR316
De La Hoya has NO CHANCE of beating Mayweather. He could have Superman training him it won't matter. It will be very similar to the first fight only difference being that Oscar will probably win less rounds.

Oscar is doing this for his promotion company. He's trying to squeeze every possible penny that he can out of his name to give his company a jump start. He knows he can't beat Mayweather but he just wants to be a pain in the ass.

Get ready for Trinidad/De La Hoya 2 in 2009 at a weight above 160 pounds. Its pretty obvious to me what this is all leading to.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(PR316 @ Mar 18 2008, 04:48 PM) [snapback]383114[/snapback]
De La Hoya has NO CHANCE of beating Mayweather.

"No chance" is a little harsh. I mean the first fight was a 115-113. With the exception of Castillo, DLH was able to win more rounds off of Mayweather than anyone else. By saying he has no chance at winning, you are saying he has no chance at winning another round or two which is surely a possibility.

Certainly Mayweather would be the smart pick in the rematch - but I don't believe that DLH has "no chance" since he wasn't blown out in the original.

Spyder
Maybe Winky will finally get his shot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.