Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on Sam Peter and Wlad Klitschko
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Most boxing fans would agree that while boxing certainly isn't dying, the current heavyweight division is on life support. Views from the board on the following:

What was worse, Wlad's hideous and overly cautions bore-snore against Ibragimov, or Sam Peter almost getting KTFO by a glorified sparring partner in McCline? I really can't pick one over the other. They were both shit performances that exposed the vulnerabilities in each fighter. It now raises the questions not only if Peter could beat Wlad in a rematch, but if Wlad would care enough to throw punches in a rematch being trained by Manny Steward, who has clearly turned Wlad into a safety-first fighter, who may be more concerned with not being hit than winning. On March 8th, we have Peter against 50 year old, (or so it seems like Oleg Maskiev) for the WBC heavyweight title. But again, a win here for either in that match is still blah Even if Peter wins by a huge KO, who is going to care about Maskiev being KO'd.? Blubberball Kirk Johnson and Lance "Goofi" Whitaker of all people, did the same thing years ago. A big KO over Rahman and a decision over him are hardly the stuff to establish any legendary status. Rahman had that same sparring partner syndrome, where he couldn't win the big fights.

And even if Peter wins, would Manny allow Wlad to rematch against him? Would Wlad have the balls to do it? If his overly-cautions approach against Barney Rubble is any indication, I doubt it.

Jack
Big Slim Sweet
I don't think it's fair to imply Wlad and Peter are damaged goods based on their last fights.
BigG
I think Peter is getting better and better. He walked into some big uppercuts from McCline, but he recovered and showed improved boxing skills and boxed his way to a decision. Good win IMO.

Wlad was just in there with a tricky fighter in Sultan and basically pitched a shutout...although looked like crap doing it. Still, he dominated as expected.
rusty_trombone
Yeah, I didn't lose all that much respect for Wlad, he won pretty easily, it was just boring. I remember Lennox Lewis having a few of those in his day.
streetlion1
I dont feel ethier fighter is "tarnished". Peter even with his loss to Klit is still the best heavywieght IMO. Peter got in trouble came out of it and adapted to win. Klit. has been changed by a trainer..he hasnt fallin off.
TheWhiteBuffalo
Wladimir's dream is to unify the division. Throwing right hands and being overly aggressive was an invitation for Sultan to counter with something big. Waldimir was smart, and he showed that he uses his brain when fighting. Sure, it was boring, but Wladimir domniated by winning almost ever round.

It amazes me to see how all of the "heavyweight haters" love to talk smack about the performance of the big guys. When Taylor, De La Hoya, Hopkins or some other paper weight fighter cruises to an easy decision no one here says anything at all. When will you people realize that Heavyweights are not perfect and have never been so? There is clearly a huge bias here on fighthype and has been for many years.

The Maskaev-Peter fight should be an exciting night. There is no doubt that stock in Peter has plummeted. However, the fight will be exciting just to see if he has any difficulty with Maskaev. If Peter should struggle (lose rounds, get rocked, look frustrated, etc) then it is time for everyone to realize that he will post no threat to either Klitschko brother.

Sure, if these top fighters would sign the dotted line to fight Frans Botha, we would all have Heavyweight clarity over the next year. Unfortunately, we will all have to wait and see what happens with the "scrubs" until then. But the Heavyweight division is full of life and things are looking great. Stop the hate.
jlupi
Waldimir was smart, and he showed that he uses his brain when fighting.>>>>>

thats true. Its ashme too because he is a very good offensive fighter. However, he relizes he has a paper chin.
buford54
Manny Steward will do that to his fighters, but that's his job.
Wlad can't take the best shot, which will happen when you engage. He's actually improved, even though he's gotten more boring in the process.
I don't think Peter has a prayer in the rematch. I think that Wladimir would win another 12 rounder and it would be far more boring than the first fight because it would be more dominant.

Peter will probably beat anyone his own size, and anyone as timid as McCline is...but anyone with the size advantage that Wlad has, and who doesn't get sucked into Peter's brawling game will outbox him.
I think that if Vitali fights Peter (which is a possibility if Peter beats Maskaev)...if Vitali can get back into peak shape, he may knock Peter out. He's there to be hit and Vitali has that long, awkward style that he would keep Peter on the end of.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(TheWhiteBuffalo @ Feb 29 2008, 03:29 PM) [snapback]380626[/snapback]
Sure, if these top fighters would sign the dotted line to fight Frans Botha, we would all have Heavyweight clarity over the next year. Unfortunately, we will all have to wait and see what happens with the "scrubs" until then. But the Heavyweight division is full of life and things are looking great. Stop the hate.

Rafael is reporting the possibility of a May fight between Botha and James Toney in South Africa. What do you think? FOTY?
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 29 2008, 05:38 PM) [snapback]380682[/snapback]
Do you really rate Peter over Wlad? Even though Wlad has beaten Peter and has becomes a unified heavyweight champion?

Why not? He rates DLH at 147 even though he hasn't fought there in 8 years.

TheWhiteBuffalo
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Feb 29 2008, 04:42 PM) [snapback]380671[/snapback]
Rafael is reporting the possibility of a May fight between Botha and James Toney in South Africa. What do you think? FOTY?

Here at Botha headquarters we have heard of no such talks between Toney's people and the Buffalo Nation. However, interesting RUMOR. Toney's style would not be an ideal match for Botha's ambush style, but a win over Toney would be a nice step for Botha to reclaim his top-10 ranking.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Feb 29 2008, 02:05 PM) [snapback]380622[/snapback]
I dont feel ethier fighter is "tarnished". Peter even with his loss to Klit is still the best heavywieght IMO. Peter got in trouble came out of it and adapted to win. Klit. has been changed by a trainer..he hasnt fallin off.

Wait a minute, how the hell could Peter be the best heavy when he hasn't beaten Wlad?
D-MARV
QUOTE(TheWhiteBuffalo @ Feb 29 2008, 07:45 PM) [snapback]380708[/snapback]
Here at Botha headquarters we have heard of no such talks between Toney's people and the Buffalo Nation. However, interesting RUMOR. Toney's style would not be an ideal match for Botha's ambush style, but a win over Toney would be a nice step for Botha to reclaim his top-10 ranking.

Is this guy being serious?
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Feb 29 2008, 07:54 PM) [snapback]380712[/snapback]
Is this guy being serious?

hell yeah, the man takes frans botha very seriously
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(joeminnifield @ Mar 1 2008, 12:20 PM) [snapback]380777[/snapback]
RUSTY DUSTY HAMBONE, ARE U THE PRESIDENT OF MARGO SENORITA FAN CLUB,?..........WHEN HE GETS KTFO THIS TIME, U WILL CHILL OUT :huh, ANYWAY, WHEN IT'S ALL SAID AN DONE SAM PETER'S WILL BE THE ONE AN ONLY HWC, OF THE WORLD, HE'LL KNOCK WLAD, TFO NEXT, LIKE HE ALMOST DID THE LAST TIME, HE GOT ALOT BETTER SINCE THEN,.........MARGO IS GONIG DOWN BEFORE HE GET A CHANCE TO GET KTFO BY PBF aggressive.gif bb2.gif black eye.gif clapping.gif

I agree with your post. Sam Peter is the next best thing. Sure, he will knock Wlad, TFO next. Sure, he couldn't do it the first time, but I KNOW he will do it if and when they meet again. Sure he could not get rid of McCline. But he will be become the UHWC.

And as you said, Margo is definitely GONIG down if he faces PBF. PFB is nothing to fool with. You know your boxing, I will give you that Joe. It's fans like you Joe, that make Peter proud and give him strength he will need to accomplish being crowned the one and only HWC. thumbsup_anim.gif Your the best.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(joeminnifield @ Mar 1 2008, 11:20 AM) [snapback]380777[/snapback]
RUSTY DUSTY HAMBONE, ARE U THE PRESIDENT OF MARGO SENORITA FAN CLUB,?..........WHEN HE GETS KTFO THIS TIME, U WILL CHILL OUT :huh, ANYWAY, WHEN IT'S ALL SAID AN DONE SAM PETER'S WILL BE THE ONE AN ONLY HWC, OF THE WORLD, HE'LL KNOCK WLAD, TFO NEXT, LIKE HE ALMOST DID THE LAST TIME, HE GOT ALOT BETTER SINCE THEN,.........MARGO IS GONIG DOWN BEFORE HE GET A CHANCE TO GET KTFO BY PBF aggressive.gif bb2.gif black eye.gif clapping.gif

Interesting observations,

But please don't write in all caps. It is considered screaming at the forum members.

Jack

Administrator
D-MARV
If People are banking on Samuel Peter to be the Savoir of the Heavyweight division then we are in bad shape in the world of boxing. Samuel Peter? The hardest hitter in the heavyweight division? What decent fighter has Sam Peter knocked out? Jeremy Williams? Wlad by far is the best fighter in the division. His knockout victories are far more impressive than sam's. Wlad has KO's over Brock, Byrd, Austin, and a stoppage over Lamon Brewster. Compare that to sam's KOs. Ill be the first to give Sam his props if he KOs Maskeav but Sam has to show me more than wins over Jameel McCline and a fat James Toney. A lot of people question Wlad's chin (with good reason) but Im not impressed out all with Peter's chin. In my opinion if Wlad grows a set then he would knock Peter out in 5!!! Im not talking TKO, Im talking KTFO!
Southeastpaw
BTW, I was being sarcastic. I do not think that Peter will beat Wlad now. I like Peter, but anyone with half a brain knows that the only chance he has against Wlad is a punchers chance. And the way Wlad is fighting now-a-days, you can skip Peter landing a lucky shot. I like Peter much more than Wlad, but my bias toward Peter does not blind me and allow me to make idiotic, uneducated predictions for a possible future match-up.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Mar 1 2008, 02:14 PM) [snapback]380789[/snapback]
BTW, I was being sarcastic. I do not think that Peter will beat Wlad now. I like Peter, but anyone with half a brain knows that the only chance he has against Wlad is a punchers chance. And the way Wlad is fighting now-a-days, you can skip Peter landing a lucky shot. I like Peter much more than Wlad, but my bias toward Peter does not blind me and allow me to make idiotic, uneducated predictions for a possible future match-up.

I know you were being sarcastic! I actually thought your comment was funny. My reply was towards Joe and any other people who think Sam Peter is the best heavyweight
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Mar 1 2008, 12:56 PM) [snapback]380785[/snapback]
Interesting observations,

But please don't write in all caps. It is considered screaming at the forum members.

Jack

Administrator

Get'em Jack.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(joeminnifield @ Mar 1 2008, 12:20 PM) [snapback]380777[/snapback]
RUSTY DUSTY HAMBONE

That's not bad.
BigG
Klitschko can be an offensive beast..but he has to be least toughest heavyweight champion Ive ever seen. The man looks like he's about to have a panic attack everytime someone puts some serious offense on him.

Watching the Sultan fight, I kept thinking what a prime Tyson would do to Klitschko. It would be murder..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.