Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MMA on national tv-how did boxing miss the boat
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MarzB
I saw a story today on the AP Wire that CBS will do four MMA shows.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hSvhYTT...J7WkRwD8V3F1N80

I'm not an MMA fan, I don't know the difference between Elite XC, Pride, etc. But I do respect their marketing.

I could be wrong but not counting the Contender series what was the last boxing match on national (free) television in prime time?? Was it Tyson vs. Mathis on Fox??

It's always been my opinion that the greed of these promoters or the fact that they'd actually have to WORK (by selling advertising) is what has kept boxing off of mainstream tv and now look at this.

Any thoughts on this and CAN maybe some promoter see that the more things you put on the "free" landscape the more lucrative it'll be for the PPV shows? Pro wrestling has proven this model for years (the old Saturday Night Main event shows). What will it take for boxing promoters to understand this???
Bazooka Limon
QUOTE(MarzB @ Feb 28 2008, 06:46 PM) [snapback]380538[/snapback]

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hSvhYTT...J7WkRwD8V3F1N80

I'm not an MMA fan, I don't know the difference between Elite XC, Pride, etc. But I do respect their marketing.

I could be wrong but not counting the Contender series what was the last boxing match on national (free) television in prime time?? Was it Tyson vs. Mathis on Fox??

It's always been my opinion that the greed of these promoters or the fact that they'd actually have to WORK (by selling advertising) is what has kept boxing off of mainstream tv and now look at this.

Any thoughts on this and CAN maybe some promoter see that the more things you put on the "free" landscape the more lucrative it'll be for the PPV shows? Pro wrestling has proven this model for years (the old Saturday Night Main event shows). What will it take for boxing promoters to understand this???

A few years back NBC wearing doing cards during the summer.
kidbazooka1
Im a diehard boxing fan but I give MMA the respect it deserves they are definitly coming up.
buford54
Yeah, I believe Tarver and someone else fought on NBC about 3 summers ago. At least Tarver was supposed to fight...not sure if he did or not.
Fact is, boxing doesn't deliver what today's public wants.
It used to be that boxing was the most violent sport you'd ever see on tv. Now, the public is so used to being shocked by things like reality TV, CGI that is so realistic that you can't tell what's real anymore and the like, that a good boxing match in which nobody gets knocked down or out doesn't hold their attention.
MMA delivers fast paced, blood and guts action that usually ends in knockouts, or at least knockdowns. It is much more brutal and much less scientific.

It's like I Love Lucy used to be considered comedy. Today it's Jackass where there is no plot, it's just idiots trying to hurt themselves.
Mean Mister Mustard
Like Bazooka said, 4 years ago NBC in association with Main events was airing boxing on Saturdays. I remember seeing Cintron and Bojado fight there.

I don't know much about the whys of boxing promoting so I hope someone can answer this question. Is there no boxing on network television because of the promoters or because the networks don't care for it? I was under the impression that it was the latter but like I said, I don't know much about it.
thehype
QUOTE(MarzB @ Feb 28 2008, 07:46 PM) [snapback]380538[/snapback]

Awwwww...my fellow monkies...why hast though forsaken me....do thee not read the front page....

MMA TO AIR ON CBS?
By Editor | February 27, 2008

According to a report on MMAJunkie.com, an agreement between CBS and ProElite Inc., the parent company of EliteXC, to air MMA on major network television has been reached.

CBS AND PROELITE JOIN FORCES TO BRING MIXED MARTIAL ARTS TO PRIMETIME BROADCAST TELEVISION
By Press Release | February 28, 2008

The CBS Television Network and ProElite, Inc., a Los Angeles-based leading entertainment and media company that produces world class mixed martial arts (MMA) events, today jointly announced a multi-year agreement that will bring one of the fastest growing spectator sports to a major broadcast television network for the first time.

laugh.gif

Seriously though...GREAT move for MMA.

The boxing community really needs to get with the program. It's a wonderful gesture of Oscar to fight on HBO World Championship Boxing as opposed to PPV, but man oh man there would be sooooooooo much more exposure if that fight was on network television. Imagine tuning in to NBC to see Floyd Mayweather Jr. sitting in the audience to scout the competition as Oscar dismantles Steve Forbes with Big Floyd back in his corner.
boxeo suxx
we missed the boat on this one...this is the end of boxing as we know it...im a die hard boxing fan. but its true...don king and all the other promoters are poison for this sport. Thank God Jim Rome has been gracing the sport with coverage on his show, but we're starting to get to the point where we are no better than the WWWE! 20 million for PBF?It's a sign of the times...sad sad sad...but then again its just my opinion? aggressive.gif
Don Flamenco
What happens is the average joe's out there are tuning in to the wrong fights. Instead of them watching tommorow's fight, they will be shelling out heir money for PBF and DLH II. They'll fall asleep again and remember how they felt exactly the last time they bought a boxing PPV - fukin bored oout their minds.

The reason boxing is the way it is, is because old fucks like delahoya continue to get promoted when it should be the young exciting boxers that should be.

streetlion1
QUOTE(Don Flamenco @ Mar 1 2008, 02:14 AM) [snapback]380748[/snapback]
What happens is the average joe's out there are tuning in to the wrong fights. Instead of them watching tommorow's fight, they will be shelling out heir money for PBF and DLH II. They'll fall asleep again and remember how they felt exactly the last time they bought a boxing PPV - fukin bored oout their minds.

The reason boxing is the way it is, is because old fucks like delahoya continue to get promoted when it should be the young exciting boxers that should be.

I dont think there is anything wrong with boxing. If anything its that the HW division isnt what it used to be..and its P4P king doesnt want to fight anyone. Its not that DLH is the only one getting promoted but he is still boxings biggest draw and promoter. In the end I would much rather watch boxing than any MMA card! PBF V.S. DLH 2 will still be better than anything MMA has to offer IMO..not that I hate MMA but I would rather watch a good boxing fight than watch a couple guys end up caught in each others guard the majority of every round or a 40 second K.O.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.